PDA

View Full Version : Bringing my bike with me?

13ri
22nd November 2007, 15:39
Hi peeps. For those that see my intoductry post, you know that Im investigating coming over. So I have loads of questions, not all bike, but id like to start off with a few bike related ones..........

Now after reading through a number of threads on this forum I notice that because the bike id like to bring over is modified it might be a problem.

The mods/changes are front brakes, all hydrolic lines to s/s, ligting, exaust, and frame/seating/bars.
The rest is still standard ( lol ) So is this going to be a head ache ? haha, I can see it is.... Now in my favor, ive owned it for a good few years and this helps me as far as GST goes, er, right ?

Loads more questions, but Ill see how this goes down. Ive had a look at prices of bikes on one of the trading sites and they dont seem to bad, so I could sell and buy once over.
but I would still want to modify it, after all, thats why ive got hands......so I can play wiith power tools :devil2: and I dont realy like things standard !

scracha
22nd November 2007, 16:41
The mods/changes are front brakes, all hydrolic lines to s/s, ligting, exaust, and frame/seating/bars.
The rest is still standard ( lol ) So is this going to be a head ache ? haha, I can see it is.... Now in my favor, ive owned it for a good few years and this helps me as far as GST goes, er, right ?

Sell it within the year you're paying the 12.5% GST. Have owned the bike less than 12 months, you'll be paying the 12.5% GST regardless. $hite old bikes go for lots of money here...so best bring quite a few. If you're gonna road register them here then make sure you've got the appropriate deregistration docs from the DVLarseholes. Believe it or not, the only thing they'll go anal about is "dirt" (cos even cities in the UK have foot an mouth) and goodridge hoses (cos even though they're aircraft quality they're not as good as anything over here .....). Find some $hite old rubber hoses in the UK (probably throwing them away on ebay.co.uk) and fling them on to get the bike complied (although somehow mine got through with braided ones). Also, can you bring me a tidy 1989 FZR600 (worth about 500 quid by now I'd imagine) so I can burgle the pre89 class. Not worth brining one bike over but if you're bringing a container worth of good quality clothes, shoes and furniture (both expensive over here) then you'll be able to sling the bike(s) in the container for not much pesos. Basically get as many spares, tyres and other bike bits before you come over as it's treasure island here. Don't bring any bulky electrical stuff with you as it's pretty cheap over here. Bizarrely NEW bikes are often cheaper out here.

Oh...bang for buck the best bikes to bring over are 250's (they go for mental money over here due to the licensing laws). Honestly, look at www.trademe.co.nz and see how much you'll get for bringing over pieces of $hite like CB250 wankdreams, GSX250's, GN250's, SRX250's (actually I like them). More so for sporty stuff like RS250's, RGV250's and CBR250's. Second hand Givi or Krauser hard luggage isn't a bad thing to bring either as it's pretty rare out here not to see some gorgeous bike touring with a fuggin ugly pack rack.

Last but not least, remember your bottles of whiskey in the duty free and take one last trip to a giant Tesco's at 4am as you'll get pissed off at the little corner shops stocking the same old shite that they call supermarkets here.

You'll love it over here....I'm never going back to $hitey old UK.

gijoe1313
22nd November 2007, 16:58
Awww Scracha, just 'cause Tourism NZ paid you for that sponsored advert! Sheesh! :lol:

But yeah, :stupid: He just loves hoity-toitying it up over the Coro loop on his thumping Duck! :lol:

scracha
23rd November 2007, 07:35
But yeah, :stupid: He just loves hoity-toitying it up over the Coro loop on his thumping Duck! :lol:

As you heard at Taupo, it went to one cylinder so it is a bloody thumper...wiring getting serious looking over (again) this weekend and if we can't suss it out it's going to a proper mechanic. Hopefully it's just something I've not plugged in correctly since stripping the road gear from it.

martybabe
23rd November 2007, 15:39
:no:jeez,as a recent uk export I was gona give you all the knowledge on NZ but it'd be like a fart in the wind compared to scracha's input.He must read books or somat.:not: Fair play scrach,can't top that,but you forgot to mention licorice chocolate logs from the crappy corner shops,worth commin here just for one o them babies,ooh there so sucky.;)

scracha
23rd November 2007, 16:41
Fair play scrach,can't top that,but you forgot to mention licorice chocolate logs from the crappy corner shops,worth commin here just for one o them babies,ooh there so sucky.;)

Nah, I'd considered brining my TDM with me (plus a couple of other bikes). I get frustrated at how expensive $hite old bikes are here, especially when new ones are such good value.

I think I'll see my mate Scottish Bob tomorrow and grab some cans of ginger.

13ri
24th November 2007, 05:44
So no of ya seem to think that as its no where near how it was when it left the factory will be a problem ? Ill just have to power wash it to get all the germs off...... hahaha

Disco Dan
24th November 2007, 06:31
So no of ya seem to think that as its no where near how it was when it left the factory will be a problem ? Ill just have to power wash it to get all the germs off...... hahaha

Bring me some Jaffa Cakes and Terry Chocolate Orange!!! ....oh man I got withdrawls!!!

Miss Tescos and savacentre lol

Take your bike to be steam clean by pro company - get the documentation for it etc - will speed up the process getting it into the country. Remember shoes/boots tents etc will be checked over in more detail than a priest giving a breast exam so make sure they have been steam cleaned by pros and you got the paperwork to prove it. Or those fancy pants Clarks shoes will get biffed in the bin.

Disco Dan
24th November 2007, 06:35
I think I'll see my mate Scottish Bob tomorrow and grab some cans of ginger.

TANGO!

*slap* ......you've been TANGOED! ! !

scracha
24th November 2007, 07:28
*slap* ......you've been TANGOED! ! !

Hmm..wasn't thinking of Tango but Irn Bru....mmmmm..Tango.

MAF/Customs were a joke for us BTW. The container landed 3 weeks late (damn it was a long 3 weeks living without most of our things) and this truck arrived with boxes of our stuff. We're like..."what the @#4ck" as the container was supposed to arrive unopened for inspection at our house. MAF/customs guy phones us to say he'll be there the next day, tells us what things he wants to look at and that we can open the other boxes. I mean FFS. Needless to say anything even slightly dodgy was opened up and put into the house. Complete waste of taxpayers money.

Yeah, get the bike steam cleaned if it's manky. Otherwise, clean it yourself and print off an official looking receipt saying it's been steam cleaned. Also likewise for garden furniture and tools. They didn't give a monkeys about our shoes etc.

Disco Dan
24th November 2007, 08:20
Hmm..wasn't thinking of Tango but Irn Bru....mmmmm..Tango.

MAF/Customs were a joke for us BTW. The container landed 3 weeks late (damn it was a long 3 weeks living without most of our things) and this truck arrived with boxes of our stuff. We're like..."what the @#4ck" as the container was supposed to arrive unopened for inspection at our house. MAF/customs guy phones us to say he'll be there the next day, tells us what things he wants to look at and that we can open the other boxes. I mean FFS. Needless to say anything even slightly dodgy was opened up and put into the house. Complete waste of taxpayers money.

Yeah, get the bike steam cleaned if it's manky. Otherwise, clean it yourself and print off an official looking receipt saying it's been steam cleaned. Also likewise for garden furniture and tools. They didn't give a monkeys about our shoes etc.

Yep, had 3 weeks with no furniture in UK, then 3 weeks in NZ 'camping' in an empty house before the container was dumped on our front lawn.

Ours wasnt opened though...

We made the mistake of bringing our ELECTRIC lawn mower with us... yeah that was pretty useless here! Went from a small square of garden with only 3 blades of fricking grass to a huge big NZ section... we had more extension cords than Mitre10 !

martybabe
24th November 2007, 08:23
So no of ya seem to think that as its no where near how it was when it left the factory will be a problem ? Ill just have to power wash it to get all the germs off...... hahaha :nono:look forget the bike would ya and write down the orders.thats irn bru for scratch,tango for disco,or is that tango at the disco?,and a bottle of glen farclass for me thank you. oh and bring the bride somat will ya,womans weekly or some shit:rofl:

good luck with officialdom,the feckers,why I oughta:girlfight:

Disco Dan
24th November 2007, 08:27
Oh and sneak in some Pirahnas for me? Not allowed them here... something *grumble* about MAF being scared i'll release them into the local lake :whistle:

* Tango
* Jaffa Cakes
* Iron Bru
* My nan and grandad

That should all fit in your rucksack for me?

scracha
24th November 2007, 15:27
* Tango
* Jaffa Cakes
* Iron Bru
* My nan and grandad
That should all fit in your rucksack for me?

Tattie scones, bridies and a decent roll and square sausage smothered in broon sauce. Why the hell the local bakeries here can't manage the latter I'll never know.

martybabe
24th November 2007, 16:06
Tattie scones, bridies and a decent roll and square sausage smothered in broon sauce. Why the hell the local bakeries here can't manage the latter I'll never know.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:your funny feckers,poor blokes still wibbling on about his mobike and we're puttin in orders for scrummy of all descriptions.I supose a cadbury's cream eggs out the question?:drinknsin:corn::drinkup:I can't wait,whens the container get here?

scracha
25th November 2007, 14:38
:rofl::rofl::rofl:your funny feckers,poor blokes still wibbling on about his mobike and we're puttin in orders for scrummy of all descriptions.I supose a cadbury's cream eggs out the question?:drinknsin:corn::drinkup:I can't wait,whens the container get here?

We'll have paid for his freight by the time he's taken all our orders. F^ckin colony...why can't they import some good $hit :sweatdrop