PDA

View Full Version : First track day

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:05
Ok, I apologise already if this is not quite the right area for this thread ( Mods, please relocate it if you need to)...

But anyhooo....Lookey what 007XY's bought me for Christmas (I am truly one of the luckiest woman on the planet :love:):

Hi Veronique ,
The track day you have just booked for Sunday 23 December 2007 starts with a sign-on at 8.30am.

:eek::woohoo::headbang::banana:

I'm just so ecstatic, and a bit scared too...but so very much looking forward to it!

So...can anyone please give me some good advice for a Track Day Newbie??

jrandom
23rd November 2007, 12:09
Win or bin!

:Punk:

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:15
:blink: eeerrr...ok, so far I get the common sense approach...as in "Don't fall off!" cheers Buddy! :hug:

But anything like what to bring or not to bring, must do this or not this??

nodrog
23rd November 2007, 12:16
do you think he will buy me one for xmas as well?

just relax and have fun, try and find somebody that is willing to let you follow them around so you can get an idea of the lines you should be taking etc, but just pootle around at a pace YOU are comfortable with, and dont feel pressured into trying to keep up with other riders.

oh and not getting on the booze the night before helps, apparently :sick:

nodrog
23rd November 2007, 12:17

bring a helmet, oh and boots and gloves :yes:

Sully60
23rd November 2007, 12:19
:blink: eeerrr...ok, so far I get the common sense approach...as in "Don't fall off!" cheers Buddy! :hug:

Your life on motorcycles will never be the same, once you go track you never go back!
Well not quite but you will look at road riding a lot differently.

Hey, I bet 007XY will be gettin' some lovin' tonight aye?:msn-wink:

Go that man!

imdying
23rd November 2007, 12:24
Take water... and something to hide from the sun with, and to sit on... we did so many 20 minute sessions last time that I couldn't stand up I was so tired!

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:25
do you think he will buy me one for xmas as well?

back off biatch...he's mine! :girlfight:

Really???:gob: Damn...I was planning on doing it in my new "Elle McPherson" nightie...:rolleyes:

:nya:

Hey, I bet 007XY will be gettin' some lovin' tonight aye?:msn-wink:

Go that man!

Sweet...what makes you think tonight would be any different than any other nights? :devil2:
Trust me, I am always aware of a little motto:

"Man in dog house, is often found later in cat house..." :lol::msn-wink:

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:27
Take water... and something to hide from the sun with, and to sit on... we did so many 20 minute sessions last time that I couldn't stand up I was so tired!

Yes, thanks. I'll definitely have to take the liners out of my corduras, otherwise I'll be cooking if the temperatures keep going the way they are at the moment.

nodrog
23rd November 2007, 12:28
...I was planning on doing it in my new "Elle McPherson" nightie...

now that just silly :spanking:, save that sort of thing for the coro loop!

Sully60
23rd November 2007, 12:30
Trust me, I am always aware of a little motto:

"Man in dog house, is often found later in cat house..." :lol::msn-wink:

Could you PM that to Number One please, after the weekend though!
She's back tonight and I don't want her to get the wrong idea:whistle:

imdying
23rd November 2007, 12:31
Yes, thanks. I'll definitely have to take the liners out of my corduras, otherwise I'll be cooking if the temperatures keep going the way they are at the moment.Heh, it's not even the temp that's the problem... it's the doing half a dozen 20 minute gym workouts wearing full leathers whilst concentrating hard out that does it! Good exercise for the body and the brain. Top stuff :yes:

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:35
now that just silly :spanking:, save that sort of thing for the coro loop!

Nah...firstly, track is always safer than the road :innoncent:...and besides, I've been told there are some really dodgy characters down the Coro way!

Could you PM that to Number One please, after the weekend though!
She's back tonight and I don't want her to get the wrong idea:whistle:

Hmmm...ok, as long as you assure me she won't misunderstand my meaning! I am sure she can be quite a formidable lady if peeved...:laugh:

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:37
Heh, it's not even the temp that's the problem... it's the doing half a dozen 20 minute gym workouts wearing full leathers whilst concentrating hard out that does it! Good exercise for the body and the brain. Top stuff :yes:

Good call. I never thought of it as something that would be physically strenuous. Guess taking a Berocca before the event wouldn't go astray then...

Mikkel
23rd November 2007, 12:42
Good on ya V. I hope you'll have a lot of fun :D
...but I'm sure you will!

I hope my plans for a little first out on the 8th of December is going to come through. I met this bloke at the bike shop who kinda promised me that he'd take me out there and give me one of his bikes to take onto the track :niceone:

imdying
23rd November 2007, 12:49
I hope my plans for a little first out on the 8th of December is going to come through. I met this bloke at the bike shop who kinda promised me that he'd take me out there and give me one of his bikes to take onto the track :niceone:How about a quiet run on your ZXR on the Tuesday afternoon before that?

007XX
23rd November 2007, 12:51
Good on ya V. I hope you'll have a lot of fun :D
...but I'm sure you will!

I hope my plans for a little first out on the 8th of December is going to come through. I met this bloke at the bike shop who kinda promised me that he'd take me out there and give me one of his bikes to take onto the track :niceone:

Cheers mate...Yes, I can't wait!

If yours happen, please let me know how it went. It would be a good heads up, as we generally seem to think the same way. :niceone:

Mikkel
23rd November 2007, 12:57
How about a quiet run on your ZXR on the Tuesday afternoon before that?

I'd love that! :) Can you make that happen?

Mikkel
23rd November 2007, 12:58
Cheers mate...Yes, I can't wait!

If yours happen, please let me know how it went. It would be a good heads up, as we generally seem to think the same way. :niceone:

Hardly... gutter brain :p

;)

And I shall gladly give you a heads up!

007XX
23rd November 2007, 13:02
Hardly... gutter brain :p

;)

And I shall gladly give you a heads up!

:shake:I am so hurt right now...I shall go rock back and forth quietly in a corner...

Mikkel
23rd November 2007, 13:08
:shake:I am so hurt right now...I shall go rock back and forth quietly in a corner...

Was tempted to say "suck it up big girl" but that could be miscontrued, I'm afraid. ;)

Get well soon :yes:

007XX
23rd November 2007, 13:15
Was tempted to say "suck it up big girl" but that could be miscontrued, I'm afraid. ;)

Get well soon :yes:

Are you calling me fat? :eek5:

*te he...don't you love that kind of female change of direction on the argument? Always thought that was hilarious...*

anyways, make sure to take lots of pics on the day. 007XY will actually be a bystander this time, and take some photos for me. Also mentioned he's looking for a video camera :doh:
Hope I don't feel so self conscious that I ass off in the process...:o

The Tazman
23rd November 2007, 13:33
I have done about 20 or so track days in my time and it is the most fun you'll have on a bike in my opinion, so here's my 2 cents worth

If you are reasonably confident on the road and have been riding a while don't go in the slow group start in the medium, if you are quite new to it all then go for the slow.

There will always be people faster and slower than you. Know your pace and just try to build on it in your own time. You will find out how much you can really brake, how quick you can actually corner and get on the gas it's a great learning experience but again you need to do it at your pace.

Following peoples lines these days I find can work but it has to feel right for you. People and bikes ride differently so what works for one doesn't mean it's going to work for you.

Above all have fun and remember it's a great day when you and the bike come home :yes:

Taz

imdying
23rd November 2007, 13:57
I'd love that! :) Can you make that happen?Not me, it's open practice every Tuesday (and Friday?) at hoonapuna. Once the tech year has finished, we'll be heading out there (because of one of the other guys, I work but I've been given an unlimited supply of Tuesdays off :yes:). It's $80 for a half day, and $50 if you're a member of BEARS, canty car club, motorcycling canty etc. Just gotta stay out of the way of the fast guys who're practicing, but they circuit so quick that they just ride round you before you even know they're there! OAB has a neat video of the NZ Superbike guys giving him the learn (they're on thous with slicks, he was on a road tyred 750, but it still looks leet when they're going past :D)

Mrs Busa Pete
23rd November 2007, 14:19

dont forget the licra suit

007XX
23rd November 2007, 14:24
Above all have fun and remember it's a great day when you and the bike come home :yes:

Taz

Awesome, thanks Taz.

As far as the first lap is concerned, I am quite confident on the road, but will still probably start in the beginners group, just to get a feel for the track. I am very aware that I am not at all that confident in very tight corners, so will be taking it very easy to start with...

And yes, I will stick to my pace...no ego here, that would just be stupid.

007XX
23rd November 2007, 14:25
dont forget the licra suit

Pete...I hate to break to you, but the 70's are well and truly gone!

:laugh:

Mikkel
23rd November 2007, 14:35
Not me, it's open practice every Tuesday (and Friday?) at hoonapuna. Once the tech year has finished, we'll be heading out there (because of one of the other guys, I work but I've been given an unlimited supply of Tuesdays off :yes:). It's $80 for a half day, and $50 if you're a member of BEARS, canty car club, motorcycling canty etc. Just gotta stay out of the way of the fast guys who're practicing, but they circuit so quick that they just ride round you before you even know they're there! OAB has a neat video of the NZ Superbike guys giving him the learn (they're on thous with slicks, he was on a road tyred 750, but it still looks leet when they're going past :D)

I'd PM you if I could. Since I feel bad about hi-jacking the thread. I just have to ask though - and it may be relevant for V as well.

What do I need to bring, gear wise?
What do I need to do to my bike to allow it on the track?
How do I sign up?
Is it open all day?

imdying
23rd November 2007, 14:57
What do I need to bring, gear wise?
What do I need to do to my bike to allow it on the track?
How do I sign up?
Is it open all day?It's not a track day, it's just a day at the track, so very relaxed.
- You'll only need a helmet, but a smart man wears leathers/gloves/boots as well
- You don't need to do anything to the bike
- Open all day afaik

Maha
23rd November 2007, 15:10
Pete...I hate to break to you, but the 70's are well and truly gone!

:laugh:

Hush your mouth....you have seen Boomer in his Powerfully Rangeful One Piece?...now thats 70's and all class

007XX
23rd November 2007, 15:18
Hush your mouth....you have seen Boomer in his Powerfully Rangeful One Piece?...now thats 70's and all class

No, I haven't actually had the pleasure of meeting Boomer yet.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd November 2007, 15:45
Ok, I apologise already if this is not quite the right area for this thread ( Mods, please relocate it if you need to)...

But anyhooo....Lookey what 007XY's bought me for Christmas (I am truly one of the luckiest woman on the planet :love:):

Hi Veronique ,
The track day you have just booked for Sunday 23 December 2007 starts with a sign-on at 8.30am.

I'm just so ecstatic, and a bit scared too...but so very much looking forward to it!

So...can anyone please give me some good advice for a Track Day Newbie??

if you can, trailer your bike there already prepped so you can get home if you drop it.

if you have any doubt about your tyres or they're nearly due, a new set of tyres will double your confidence....

tyre pressures are lower at a track than on the road.... ask one of the experienced people what they reckon, experiment a bit.

pick your group and if you feel hemmed in, change. Go a group lower than you think you can go first up particularly if you need to find your way round the track.

Dont try and go "fast": Smooth is fast but doesnt feel like it.

Once you get your knee down, you will be hooked, guarantee it: Enjoy.

discotex
23rd November 2007, 16:28
Hi Veronique ,

Woohoo sweet prezzy! Which track is it at?

I can't wait to get out on the track once I get my new bike. I haven't done any trackdays either but I can't think of a better way to get acquainted with my new steed.

I trust your insurance is ok with trackdays?

boomer
24th November 2007, 07:35

lollies.. i was designed in the 60's, produced in the 70's and thought i'd moved on.. obviously not :crybaby:

Grahameeboy
24th November 2007, 07:43
lollies.. i was designed in the 60's, produced in the 70's and thought i'd moved on.. obviously not :crybaby:

Design has changed Boomer...............you cannot hide behind a Gixxer.......

I heard you still wear bicycle clips..........

boomer
24th November 2007, 07:49
I heard you still wear bicycle clips..........

not since i shaved my head

TonyB
24th November 2007, 07:58
Really???:gob: Damn...I was planning on doing it in my new "Elle McPherson" nightie...

So where is this track day then???

Trudes
24th November 2007, 09:35
Great stuff V!!! You'll have a ball, just go at your own pace and try different things out. Have fun gurl!!:woohoo:

007XX
26th November 2007, 09:14
So where is this track day then???

Pukekohe...which is awesome as it is only about 45mns ride from my place.

Great stuff V!!! You'll have a ball, just go at your own pace and try different things out. Have fun gurl!!:woohoo:

Will do mate! Love that feeling of excitement, butterflies in the stomach kind of thing...:yes:

Woohoo sweet prezzy! Which track is it at?

I can't wait to get out on the track once I get my new bike. I haven't done any trackdays either but I can't think of a better way to get acquainted with my new steed.

I trust your insurance is ok with trackdays?

Yep, insurance will eb all good, but I got no intention of needing to do a claim anyway...My aim is not to put my knee down quite so quickly! :laugh:

Reefer
26th November 2007, 16:23
Hi 007XX. Just had my first trackday at Puke on Sat at one of the open track days. Me and two of my friends all had our first track day and man, what they all say is true. You will love it!! Have been wanting to do one for a few months and my friend only found out about this one a week before.
You will find it a)so much safer than the road b) have so much more room on a track c) if you do make a mistake you have run off (I ran off the hairpin twice!!) :whistle:
It is a great chance to improve your riding and each session to improve on different parts of the track (sorted that hairpin out by third session!!)
There were only about 10 bikes, 75% racebikes and us!!! The guys were great. Never met a nicer bunch of people, and their rides were 1-2 yrs old. Here's us with 17yr old bikes and they couldn't care less. Was great at full noise on my 400 on the back straight (190-200kph) and these guys going past like I was popping down the road to do my shopping.
Managed to pull some in on the s's (htf do you spell that?) which was great fun (but then again I am on a 400 and I do like to practice corners, anyone can ride fast straight right?)
Just remember you have the whole day so take your time. 2-3 laps to warm the tires and site in. Make sure tires are in good nick, I was pushing pretty hard all day and never had one moment as tires are fairly new) Took preasure down to 30/30.Take water and food and a chair if you are trailering. I had to ride from Warkworth so was 1 1/2 each way. Was do able(?) but would drive next time as was shattered the next day. Don't plan to do to much that night or the next day.
I only did 3 sessions as I was low on gas and felt I had achieved enough. Read that you should never do the last session as you tire and will make mistakes, i would enforce this as well.
I just got my knee down 6 weeks ago. Don't even think about it at Puke if you haven't done it yet. Save it for the next trackday, there will be many. Only got it down consistantly on the third session at Castrol. Best rap I got was I guy on a ZX10 saying it looked impressive from behind with "spark's coming off the footpeg and smoke coming off the toe cap" :clap: will be looking for rearsets and another toe cap for the next one!!!
You will get your knee down real quick at the roundabouts at the back of North Harbour Staduim (remember it fondly) or better still in an unused carpark.
Read lots (it has improved my riding heaps) u tube is great, watch the good guys and practice, practice, practice.
You will love it and I'm booking in my next one, Taupo me thinks.

007XX
27th November 2007, 08:20
Hi 007XX. Just had my first trackday at Puke on Sat at one of the open track days. Me and two of my friends all had our first track day and man, what they all say is true. You will love it!! Have been wanting to do one for a few months and my friend only found out about this one a week before.

Awesome write up Reefer, cheers for that. :D

Very glad to know you ahd such a good time. :2thumbsup