PDA

View Full Version : 250's make great race bikes

vtec
24th November 2007, 10:08
I've been a racer for a couple of years now, I started on a cbr250rr in F3 with the AMCC, well out of its league on power, but even on Puke I was doing pretty good with consistant low 1.15's. After running a full series with the Victoria Club in Streetstock, I stepped up to Supersport and Superbike, did a couple of national rounds and a lot of club events, got 12th or 13th at the Manfeild round earlier this year, and 17th at Puke cause I was a bit down on power on my 03 cbr600. But anyway, I got sick of the huge expense of racing these huge tyre shredding beasts and last weekend I chucked my commuter bike on the track again to race F3 with the PMCC at Taupo.

I found that even though there was quite a large power disadvantage, in the corners and on the brakes the CBR250 actually had quite a large advantage. I'm starting to wonder how an MC21 NSR250 would go in F3, I know it's been done, but I'm reasonably sure that it would be pushing for wins with the SV650's on a track such as the taupo new short circuit.

Recently I managed to acquire a crash damaged 04 CBR600RR that I was going to have as my new road bike, but I've found that I feel a lot safer on the 1990 CBR250, and it feels safer cornering hard on uneven corners, and it's way safer lanesplitting. This is mostly because it has quite soft suspension and is really forgiving on the road, and also because it turns so much faster than the 600, a quick shove on the bars and you are at full lean angle... on the 600 you really have to set up to turn with moving your body weight first if you want to get it right over. The 250 even just feels more like a race bike because of it being so light and flicking over so fast. The twin front discs are ample (could do with some fresh fluid though). And the screaming inline four engine is a joyous creation, even though honda have tamed down the engine management. The power is extremely linear, and is good right through from 11,000 to 19,000 rpm with it at it's best at 16,000rpm that's a hell of a lot to play with. For the road it's more than enough to commute and have fun in the twisties. I have trouble believing this bike came out of the early 90's.

I suppose the moral to this story is that even though most 250 riders will be creaming themselves with the anticipation of being able to step up to a big bike, you may be blinding yourself as to how good the bike you've currently got is... Sorry but that does not apply to GN250 or similar riders :lol:

For those that are interested in how well the CBR250 did in F3 last weekend my writeup is in the race day report section under racing. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=61371

skidMark
24th November 2007, 10:18
oh and if anybody wants to buy a bike thayt could be made into a racebike...my zxr250 is for sale...see my signature below..... you want buy? :headbang:

Brett
26th November 2007, 18:15
I have to agree, the most fun I ever had was on my ZXR250c, it was just more useable on the road. I wish I had a kept a 250cc as well as bought the GSXR.

skidMark
26th November 2007, 18:23
you still can? ;)

Brett
27th November 2007, 21:54
you still can? ;)

Nah...I want a 675 Daytona racebike next.

SwanTiger
27th November 2007, 22:04
Instead of writing all that crap you could of just said:

I was the man on a 250cc, tried to step up thinking I would be an even bigger man but realised it was not to be, and am now back to the comfort of 250cc until I grow the aptitude for a bigger bike.

Please review my progress here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=61371).

I've been a racer for a couple of years now, I started on a cbr250rr in F3 with the AMCC, well out of its league on power, but even on Puke I was doing pretty good with consistant low 1.15's. After running a full series with the Victoria Club in Streetstock, I stepped up to Supersport and Superbike, did a couple of national rounds and a lot of club events, got 12th or 13th at the Manfeild round earlier this year, and 17th at Puke cause I was a bit down on power on my 03 cbr600. But anyway, I got sick of the huge expense of racing these huge tyre shredding beasts and last weekend I chucked my commuter bike on the track again to race F3 with the PMCC at Taupo.

I found that even though there was quite a large power disadvantage, in the corners and on the brakes the CBR250 actually had quite a large advantage. I'm starting to wonder how an MC21 NSR250 would go in F3, I know it's been done, but I'm reasonably sure that it would be pushing for wins with the SV650's on a track such as the taupo new short circuit.

Recently I managed to acquire a crash damaged 04 CBR600RR that I was going to have as my new road bike, but I've found that I feel a lot safer on the 1990 CBR250, and it feels safer cornering hard on uneven corners, and it's way safer lanesplitting. This is mostly because it has quite soft suspension and is really forgiving on the road, and also because it turns so much faster than the 600, a quick shove on the bars and you are at full lean angle... on the 600 you really have to set up to turn with moving your body weight first if you want to get it right over. The 250 even just feels more like a race bike because of it being so light and flicking over so fast. The twin front discs are ample (could do with some fresh fluid though). And the screaming inline four engine is a joyous creation, even though honda have tamed down the engine management. The power is extremely linear, and is good right through from 11,000 to 19,000 rpm with it at it's best at 16,000rpm that's a hell of a lot to play with. For the road it's more than enough to commute and have fun in the twisties. I have trouble believing this bike came out of the early 90's.

I suppose the moral to this story is that even though most 250 riders will be creaming themselves with the anticipation of being able to step up to a big bike, you may be blinding yourself as to how good the bike you've currently got is... Sorry but that does not apply to GN250 or similar riders :lol:

For those that are interested in how well the CBR250 did in F3 last weekend my writeup is in the race day report section under racing. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=61371

vtec
29th November 2007, 20:42
I did alright on the bigger bikes, never got a win, but got seconds and thirds with the pmcc and 4ths and 5ths with vmcc. If I had bought new tyres a new more competitive bike, and had the suspension set up, then I may have been on pace. But all the extra effort money and stress was taking the fun out of it. Going back to a stock underpowered reasonably good handling bike was great fun. Sorry if it seemed like I was bragging. Was just trying to share my love of the CBR250 with you guys, and let you know that the big bikes aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I seriously wish they would start putting out quality light 250's and 400's like the early nineties with todays technology's and standards.

Brett
29th November 2007, 21:37
I did alright on the bigger bikes, never got a win, but got seconds and thirds with the pmcc and 4ths and 5ths with vmcc. If I had bought new tyres a new more competitive bike, and had the suspension set up, then I may have been on pace. But all the extra effort money and stress was taking the fun out of it. Going back to a stock underpowered reasonably good handling bike was great fun. Sorry if it seemed like I was bragging. Was just trying to share my love of the CBR250 with you guys, and let you know that the big bikes aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I seriously wish they would start putting out quality light 250's and 400's like the early nineties with todays technology's and standards.

I really do mirror your thoughts on some decent modern 250cc and 400cc sports/supersports bikes. I do know what you were trying to day about the smaller bikes and have to agree. Most fun I ever had was on my ZXR...not to say I don't love the power of the larger machines...just...more dangerous fun I suppose.

Lucy
29th November 2007, 21:59
Didn't sound to me like you were bragging. I was enjoying the read until you said the bit about the GNs.....you obviously haven't seen me get my knee down. (It gets quite low down sometimes when I am looking for where I dropped my glove which came off whilst looking for my high vis vest)