PDA

View Full Version : Problem with pants

Riff Raff
29th October 2004, 08:41
I’ve been putting up with uncomfortable rides since getting my bike, and thought it was a problem with the bike, which is a cruiser style. At the end of the ride I would have severe lower back pain and a very numb butt which would take several hours to come right. Going over bumps would be excruciating and I would often have to cut rides short. I had been wearing Cordura pants, and I hadn’t realised they were the problem until 2 weeks ago when I bought a pair of Draggin jeans. Now my riding is so comfortable, I don’t get any pain or numbness and I can spend hours in the saddle with no discomfort. I can only think that the jeans give me a bit more freedom of movement. Has anyone else had this problem? Obviously the jeans are only good for warmer, dry weather. Does anyone have suggestions for what I should get for touring and winter? I’m planning on buying a Ducati Monster in December, so I would be interested in what people find is the most comfortable gear to ride in on this style of bike.

vifferman
29th October 2004, 08:51
I’ve been putting up with uncomfortable rides since getting my bike, and thought it was a problem with the bike, which is a cruiser style. At the end of the ride I would have severe lower back pain and a very numb butt which would take several hours to come right. Going over bumps would be excruciating and I would often have to cut rides short.
You were actually right the first time. The cruisers tend to make you sit with your pelvis tilted the wrong way, so the normal dip in the small of your back is gone. The best position is with your stomach stuck out, back crurved in, and your knees pointed down a bit so your pelvis is tilted forward a little.
Also I don't know what a rebels like but cruisers with the pegs forward mean you can't absorb the impact of bumps and potholes with your legs. The symptoms you described are typical of cruisers.
I don't know why changing pants would make any difference, unless you were ending up sliding around on the seat and into a bad position with the textile pants on. Try riding with each pair of pants on, and check what your posture is like.

I would recommend riding with no pants on, but don't crash into parked tow trucks. :msn-wink:

jrandom
29th October 2004, 08:51
Well, I wear nylon/cordura and waterproof membrane type pants, and I don't have any problems with comfort. But then I intentionally chose a rather large size to allow for my not-entirely-petite waistline. This also carries the penalty of knee armour that becomes lower-shin armour in a crash (for good reasons why this may not be desirable, reference my recent squishy-joint postings).

Monsta Ducks have pretty sit-up-straight ergos, don't they? You should be fine with just about anything that actually fits, once you get it. Sounds like your old riding pants just weren't the right size or cut.

vifferman
29th October 2004, 09:36
I find in general that wearing my nylon overpants (Motoline, I think) makes me more uncomfortable on the bike, as I end up sliding forward on the seat, so I'm not sitting in the most confortable position. Also it's harder to get the best posture to take the weight off my wrists.

One of the reasons I'm not keen on riding in the wet.:blink:

Hitcher
29th October 2004, 09:55
I can see an orthapaedically-correct motorcycle looming...

vifferman
29th October 2004, 10:03
I can see an orthapaedically-correct motorcycle looming...I think that was the mention of the Ducati Mostro.

FROSTY
29th October 2004, 12:29
i'td be interesting to see what altering your handlebar setup and or gearchange back brake lever setup would do for ya.
Maybee the cudura pants a re a bit too tight -or maybee the draggins are tighter giving ya a lil bit of lower back support.
Itd be interesting too to try a back support with the cudura

Riff Raff
29th October 2004, 13:46
i'td be interesting to see what altering your handlebar setup and or gearchange back brake lever setup would do for ya.
Maybee the cudura pants a re a bit too tight -or maybee the draggins are tighter giving ya a lil bit of lower back support.

Since getting the bike I've lost a bit of weight so the cordura pants are quite big on me now - but I always had the pain. It might just be the combination of tighter pants and the denim being a better grip on the seat. As for altering the bike - it's just not worth it when I'll be changing it soon, but I'm actually finding it very comfortable to ride now.

Riff Raff
29th October 2004, 13:50
I would recommend riding with no pants on, but don't crash into parked tow trucks. :msn-wink:

Errm... I guess this way I'd get good suction on the seat!!! :shifty:

toads
29th October 2004, 17:12

splutter, choke, :killingme :killingme

LB
30th October 2004, 05:26

I'm not even going to look at the signpost, let alone go down this particular road.....

LB
30th October 2004, 05:31
I’m planning on buying a Ducati Monster in December

Exquisite taste.

Interested in an M800Si.e.? One careful lady owner. August 2003, 25,000kms, red (of course!), Pirelli Diablos, price negotiable depending on if you want the Scottoiler (dual feed) and Neptune pipes as well. Very small dent in tank where left hand switch block indented when husband parked it where it fell of the sidestand: priceless (and no extra cost!)

Seriously, I'm wanting to get an S2R when they come out which will be later this year I understand. (I'm keeping the 1000)

dangerous
30th October 2004, 07:45
I would have severe lower back pain and a very numb butt which would take several hours to come right. Going over bumps would be excruciating and I would often have to cut rides short
Have you tried a kidney or body belt? I have friends that weir them and swere by them. Might be worth a try.

Riff Raff
30th October 2004, 07:55
Exquisite taste.

Interested in an M800Si.e.? One careful lady owner. August 2003, 25,000kms, red (of course!), Pirelli Diablos, price negotiable depending on if you want the Scottoiler (dual feed) and Neptune pipes as well. Very small dent in tank where left hand switch block indented when husband parked it where it fell of the sidestand: priceless (and no extra cost!)

Seriously, I'm wanting to get an S2R when they come out which will be later this year I understand. (I'm keeping the 1000)

I popped into Haldanes yesterday to find out about the 2005 range. They will be able to let me know prices next week. I would really like a new bike, but always a good idea to keep options open. What sort of dollars are you looking for?