PDA

View Full Version : Norf Welly Massif SCS Final round PREVIEW

Sully60
24th November 2007, 22:13
Norf Welly Massif SCS Final round preview.

Sorry for the vary late posting of this report but I’m using Number Ones Auntie’s computer as mine spat the dummy worse than I usually do today!

Well it’s now time for the final round or the first SCS Bucket and Motard season to be held on the glorious Slipway Driving Facility nestled in the hills behind the Wellington suburb of Brooklyn.

Unfortunately this round clashes with the Cliffhanger promotions sprints being held in Carterton so only the hard core of Bucket and Motard racers will be attending tomorrow’s event. So although the numbers may not be there best tomorrow the action will still be as exiting as ever. Some KB’rs who have keen on racing buckets but have kindly offered to help out and even organise the sprints are: Deano (Legend work getting the sprints happening!) Str8Jacket, Qualmann 1234, LBMTW and quite a few more.

As something a little different I managed to interview the main protagonists involved in tomorrows racing. The diverse range of bikes and personalities makes this one of the most interesting race events you will see. But enough from me lets here what the riders have to say….

Slingshot Runs a Yamaha RZ 50 Chassis powered by a GP100 engine. Although He has showed some real potential unfortunately technical gremlins have prevented him converting this into results but things may change this Sunday, Slingshot had this to say:

”My goal this Sunday is to finish a race, I'm considering only doing a couple of practice laps then conserving the machine for the points racing.”

Bungbung has been a regular on the welly bucket scene for some time now and is in the process of developing a new bucket. Due to a quite serious crash at the first round and “domestic commitments” he has not been able to race as regularly as he would like but in my pre race interview in assured me he was rearing to go. Bungbung rides an extremely quick ex F5 Dave H100 and this is his quote from earlier this week:

”Race one I'll be focused on just getting across the finish line...race two, I'm looking for a podium and I'm going to do what every it takes!!
I'm coming to the final round on the mighty team pie h100, recent developments include fixing the leak in the tank and putting in more gas”.

Fi5hy is on of the Wellington bucket scenes original Gangsta’s. and along with Bayden and F5 Dave one of the most experienced bucket racers in the country. This season Fi5hy has repowered his trusty ZXR framed bucket with a Loncin engine sourced directly from the factory and has so far had stunning results winning races at the mid season fun day and taking both points races at the last round by handy margins. Not one to rest on his laurels Fi5hy is continuously developing his race machines, here’s the latest:

I have a pumper carb arrived from Aprilia care of Honda racing in a joint effort with Loncin to make the Kawasaki Honda/Loncin Aprilia zxrcrfrsv140 go a bit faster to keep up with the megaphoned twin that maybe out there. There's 100 points left so I'll take them if you don't mind ! only because I’m so far back after not doing three rounds.

Another bucket racer who’s been busy this year is Skunk. Some of you may know Skunk from his tireless work running the Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory

Skunk has a couple of interesting buckets, I’ll let him take over from here..

Hmmm It's an All Japan Special. (AJS).

Bike is a 1986 Suzuki AX100 (a fast red one),
Mods: 87 Yamaha TZR250 chamber,
Ported barrel (189° exhaust, 32mm EPD (Pete Sales Motorcycles)),
Carbon fibre reeds,
Kawasaki KR250A 28mm flatslide carb,
300mm front disc (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory special),
RG50 calliper (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory mounting plate),
Honda CB125T forks with emulators fitted,
Kawasaki AR125 wheels,
Rear sets (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory specials).

Latest mods: tweaked the emulators and topped up the tank. May even check the tyre pressures.

OTOH: I may have a ZX1R running in time.

Although Quallman1234 won’t be attending the final round he is working on building a bucket, here’s the skinny:

I’m using an Aprilia RS50 frame, Single sided swing arm with a Suzuki AX100 engine in it.
320mm front disc - Single Brembo Calliper .
Bringing late braking to a whole new level.

Quallman hopes to have this machine ready in time for the endurance race which is next weekend.

F5 Dave will be racing his RG50 powered RS125 chassis weapon tomorrow. Dave has shown incredible pace by winning all but on race he entered this season but because he choose to run at the clashing Bucket GP and TT meetings (with great success only lies fifth in the championship. The little two stroke in the GP chassis seems perfectly suited to the Slipway so Dave will be looking to add to his tally of wins.

Saxet who currently lays second overall in the points will be there tomorrow. Being one of the most consistent riders all season only a crash and the subsequent DNF in the second round has dented his chances of being closer going into the final round. Saxet is going to have his “race face” on tomorrow and will be giving it his all to take his first bucket championship.

Sully60 is the current point’s leader, and with a margin of 27 points only has to finish in front of Saxet to take the championship which will also be his first. Consistent podium positions and some good luck have stood Sully in good stead. Speaking to him today from the Norf Welly Massif R&D dept he had this to say.

“I’ve been running a pretty slow bike all year so before the mid season rebuild was riding pretty hard, I’ve been pretty lucky as some of the fast guys haven’t been to all rounds and have managed to avoid most of the drama’s and score points in every race this season. At the last round I had my bike running the best it ever has and had some good speed, then the clutch started to slip due to the extra torque the new rebuilt engine has and an electrical problem in the second race means I only just finished forth. So tomorrow I only have to finish in front of Saxet in the first race to the championship.”

One of the standouts the season has been Richard Ban who has been racing a 4-stroke Vespa at selected rounds this year. This machine has amazing performance and although not strictly legal has put in some excellent performances whilst being one of the most entertaining competitors to watch.

We will have some people trying bucket racing for the first time tomorrow. Blue Velvet who’s keen to get into track riding will be making an appearance with her Yamaha XG250 Tricker. Although not strictly a bucket we encourage riders on all different types of bike to come and give it a go, so a warm welcome to Blue Velvet and any other KB’rs who come down to give a crack!

So there you go folks. If you’re not going out to Carterton tomorrow please come down to have a look, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Oh and bring your riding gear because you just never know, we are all keen to see people give it a go. If you do come down come tap me on the shoulder and say hello, I’m the one on #60.

Full details of the event with times and locations can be found here:

http://scs.net.nz/calendar.php

Over and Out.
The Norf Welly Massif.
Aiyee!

Kendog
24th November 2007, 22:22
Would have like to have come and watch, but will be over at the sprints.

Have a great day :yes:

Skunk
24th November 2007, 22:50
Ferkin good preview there Sully...

ajturbo
25th November 2007, 06:36
Ferkin good preview there Sully...

hell yes!!..
i really like the write up on AJ's christian...:first:

Ivan
25th November 2007, 17:12
Good shit craig

mud boy
25th November 2007, 17:30
hell yes!!..

yeah but sadly christian didnt work and same for my little RG50:crybaby:

we tried getting the two bikes to go but nope they didnt go

oh well shit happens

Skunk
25th November 2007, 18:13
Well, I guess I should write a race report as this was the last race of the series.

I had two bikes, the well sorted AX100 and the ZX125RT that had an engine made up from secondhand bits.

Practice didn’t start well. I tried the ZXR first and found that it seems quite good. Knowing AJ was having issues with his CB125T I offered it to him. I then took the AX100 out. To put it in ‘Baggi’ speak “the engineers had not done their job, the wrong tyres were fitted and the engine management system wasn’t set right. But I rode very well under the circumstances.”
In real speak; I was crap. The bike was fine. I couldn’t focus on what I was doing even though I knew what to do. I decided to take some time out and help with a bit of flagging.

I finally sorted myself out in the final warmup session but ran out of fuel... Thanks to Bungbung I got going again in time for the race.

I still wasn’t riding well but at least my head was working. Starting last on the grid I made a good start but allowed the faster guys through. Got passed by a couple of bikes so I started to give chase. I was doing OK until I came across Slingshot having a lie down in my path. Avoided him and set off again. By this time I had lost a bit of time. I heard Slingshot behind me but stuffed up the hairpin yet again and he drew up beside me. I decided to let him through as I would only be holding him up in the corners. (My bike as the power, but the rider doesn’t have the skills).

I came last but I’m happy.

Thanks to Bayden and Quentin (and Fishie) for the great series. Looking forward to next series, but first is the endurance race next week.

mud boy
25th November 2007, 18:33
your not that carp skunk everyone has a bad day and i guess you had one of those
at lest you got out there and came back happy thats the main thing ae.
i didnt mine to much that my bike wasnt going i was to tired to care lol
put know im at home with a cold drink

and thanks to Bayden and Quentin and Fish for the great series. cant wait till the next series!!!, but first is the endurance race next week!!! :banana::2thumbsup:first::woohoo::eek:

Slingshot
25th November 2007, 20:10
What a fantastic day!! I achieved my goal of finishing a race, not without a couple of hiccups along the way though.

I took Frankenstein out for a very gentle few laps of practice, I really really really wanted it to last until at least the end of the first race so after not very long I pitted and parked up in anticipation. I was stoked, the motor's running pretty sweet.

Into the first points race and I get a pretty good start off the line, after the first lap I settled into 5th place...the bike was still running well and I was getting into the grove...until a lowside coming into the corner near the pits, up I got and on I went...I think I managed to finish 2nd to last. BUT I FINISHED!!!

The second race was much the same...the track layout was fast and flowing. Again I was in the grove I was having a ball...until that damb corner again...lowside, the clutch lever wacked into my knee and I came down on my shoulder pretty hard. I looked up and all I can see is Sully, Bayden & Fish baring down on me. They go round me and I'm on the bike again, notice the chain has come off so I'm thinking it's another DNF. AJ comes running to my rescue and off I go again, finished that race last...BUT I FINISHED!!!

Fantastic day!

Here's a short clip of Sully's sled with the megaphones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwtDve6NCw

fi5hy
25th November 2007, 21:18
A bit of helmet cam. Not my best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c_31q9HaIA

fi5hy
26th November 2007, 18:21
Great write up mate looking forward to some more from you my friend.:soon:

fi5hy
26th November 2007, 20:21
I'm shit at this camera stuff ! The best vid I done was the second points race but some how got deleted. So here's some more shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3gJ2-pTUq8

F5 Dave
27th November 2007, 16:20
Yeah you're going to have to hold your head further down in aid of getting a better shot, maybe a little screen on the triple so you can monitor the progress? Maybe it'll slow you down a tickle.

Thought I was going to put up a better show in the last race, but once I got baulked I couldn't regain the distance. Maybe I should have used the alternative passing routes you guys took:blink: Silly me I guess.

Ivan
27th November 2007, 20:27
Yeah crack up lines aye haha

over them cones but man these guys are good there so close

Sully60
28th November 2007, 19:49
hell yes!!..

AJ and christian in the same sentence, now theres a turnup!;)

I'm sorry that I missed you out, for some reason I thought you weren't going to be there. Actually KB has been a bit quiet lately....

Hmmm,

Wonder what AJ's up to?:whistle:

Did you find out why Christine wouldn't run properly? Sorry if I was I bit short with you the other day, I don't do frustration as cheerfully as you.
I might be able to give you a hand and have another look see, oh and drop that manual round.

Here's a short clip of Sully's sled with the megaphones:

Big thanks to Slingshot for the directing, camerawork, production and editing of that clip, awesome work there!:2thumbsup
I know a guy, who knows a guy that works for Peter Jackson....

Pity the sled was running so bad that day, those pipes made quite a difference apart from just the noise. The freaky thing you dont get from wicking the throttle in the driveway is the overrun, oooohhhhhh now thats gooood (eyes roll back in head and and roll back completely black).

Fi5hy what was it like to follow, apart from the miss?

To be honest it really is too loud to race, it was REALLY loud(but really nice) from the seat despite the earplugs (thanks Nasty & Grub!). But at least I got to have one go with them all nasty like!

Endurance race preview to come!

Skunk
28th November 2007, 20:35
I might be able to give you a hand and have another look see, oh and drop that manual round.

I think I've got it... :whistle: