PDA

View Full Version : where to start

illusivemenace
24th November 2007, 22:58
hey all just arfter some opinions on the best class for someone wanting to have a crack at racing .
im not wanting to break the bank and go all out, just want to get out there and have a good time.
ive heard bucket racing is good but that there is not much of a following down these ways?
cheers

Kickaha
25th November 2007, 07:45
hey all just arfter some opinions on the best class for someone wanting to have a crack at racing .
im not wanting to break the bank and go all out, just want to get out there and have a good time.
ive heard bucket racing is good but that there is not much of a following down these ways?
cheers

There is a good following for Buckets in Wellington, pm someone like Skunk or Ajturbo and he will probably fill you in.

Alternatively Manfeild is a bit closer and if you're looking for a "cheaper class" to start in the 150 streetstock class would be good,pm the likes of RacyRider or AJturbo for details on that one

Have a read of this to if you haven't already
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3032

White trash
25th November 2007, 07:48
Good on ya mate! Racing's an absolute blast however it doesn't stay inexpensive long as you get more and more competitive.

Bucket racing's a blast andWellington's not THAT far from yo. I'd imagine there's be bucket racing in Palmerston North too wouldn't there?

Other option is to chuck your road bike on the track in Clubmans.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Ivan
25th November 2007, 11:21
Nah no Buckets in Palmerston there used to be and us Wellington guys would trip up to Palmerston for part of the SCS series was good times at the Palmerston go Kart track

Tim 39
25th November 2007, 17:48
streetstock class is the ideal learning class, rg150 or similar

illusivemenace
25th November 2007, 21:11
thanks for all ya input im about 95 kgs wouldnt that be a bit much gor a lil 150?......dam caks n:rolleyes: pies

roadracingoldfart
26th November 2007, 21:00
Just buy a scummy but safe old dog and go racing in clubmans but if you can then get a bike you could use in say Post Classic or F3 ( or whatever its called this week) then you can cross enter at meetings and have a full days riding in a good safe learning emviroment.
Go to a few meetings and look at what you like and get one the same lol. talk to guys and girls at the tracks and just get a feel with what you may want to get into.
Paul.

koba
26th November 2007, 21:10
Rg 150 aint slow Mine got just short of a real timed ton (160 kph)
95 kg won't put you at the top of streetstock but you will learn heaps about how to race as all the bikes are pretty even pegged.

Clubmans has a massive variety of bikes because it is based on rider laptimes rather than type of bike.

Both are a good relitiley cheap starting point but if you wanna race for more than a few meeting I would definatley lean towards streetstock (I've tried both) because the overall running costs of a streetstock bike ,especially if dedicated to track use, are far lower than MOST other bikes that you would most lilkley be running in clubmans.

Check out the Vic Club website:
http://www.vicclub.co.nz/

SHELRACING
26th November 2007, 21:48
Have a go at the buckets first in Wellington.

Its cheap to buy a bike, cheap to race and the Welly boys are real supportive.
The other bonus about racing buckets, it teaches you how to pass when no
one else will dare.

Progress up to the 150cc streetstock and watch your skills improve even more.

Whatever you decide, have fun doing it!

scracha
27th November 2007, 16:08
I'm 83 kilos and a sniff under 6ft 4 so I didn't bother with the 150's. Go for Pre 89 buddy. Good cheap class. Tyres, brake pads, chains, sprockets etc all last reasonable amounts of time on a 4 hundy (or old 6 hundy I suppose). Make sure you ditch the road fairing and have spare footpegs and levers (I should really do this myself). Time you get the bike, decent rubber, pads, etc you'll have something that'll manage a top ten for under 2.5 grand (or under 200 bucks if you're names roadracingoldfart :baby:)

Clubmans might be a cheap class if you've got something not eligable for anything else (e.g. an early 90's 600 or an old GPZ or summit). Probably worth entering this class for a few races regardless.

roadracingoldfart
30th November 2007, 19:57
[QUOTE=scracha;1314891]Time you get the bike, decent rubber, pads, etc you'll have something that'll manage a top ten for under 2.5 grand (or under 200 bucks if you're names roadracingoldfart :baby:)

Hell, ya calling the kettle a tight wadded Scootish pofter aint ya. :bleh:
It was $400.00 ya cheeky bugger.:laugh: