PDA

View Full Version : Living with a GSXR1000 (aka, the crack addiction)

madbikeboy
25th November 2007, 21:18
It starts out innocently enough, you promise yourself that, today, for once, you're just going to take it a little easy. This is analagous to a crack addict promising just one small hit...

Living with a fast bike (GSXR1000), and why you should buy (or not buy).

I'm going to put aside all the macho stuff, the pub stories about needing more horsepower, and relate to you the reality of living with a GSXRthou.

I still have the Performance Bike article from 2001 that put the original against the benchmark fast bikes of the day, and the K1/K2 had to be pretty awesome to sideline the original R1. Subsequent iterations have gotten faster (well, more powerful), but they've also gotten more complicated (lost your keys lately?), and smaller. Smaller is an issue for me at six feet, I feel like a gorilla riding a tricycle on the latest 600's...

Putting aside the differences between models, what's it like living with one?

Well, it's fast. Scary fast for some, and for those that have little fear, the road rash and damage is normally expensive. This is not a bike that you buy once you get your full licence - my mate ZXRIDER almost got written off as one came past him on its side at a Coro ride - the overzealous rider had bought one as his second bike, too much front brake after entering a corner a lot too fast, and dropped it. ZXRIDER watched the bike go past, then he turned in - thank god for experience and good mirrors... "I told you so" just doesn't cut it.

It's fun in traffic. I can't describe some of the stuff I've done without it being used in court. Let's leave it as read that it's fast on the road. I've geared mine down, some people say 300 kph is academic - it's not, it's just too tempting. With the mods (God Bless yoshimura and an understanding bank manager) and the two teeth overstock on the rear, it'll lift the front wheel (not wheelstand, that's illegal on the road) in any of the first 3 or so gears without too much clutch abuse... it's also loud and obnoxious, which is how I like it. If Cagers have in issue with it, they can pull their useless big bores of their shitty nissans and then talk to me about it.

It's expensive on tires. I hear about people who plan their tire purchases based on getting a year's worth of life. I plan on what days / rides I can afford. For example, a couple of rides with the boys + Taupo track day. A Friday night in town (momentary and unexpected losses of traction can be expensive, but hey, chicks dig burnouts). Expect 2-3000 k's at most, if you're restrained - by restrained I mean physically tied to an large object and unable to ride. I've had a worst of 600 odd k's. I haven't made it to 2000 k's yet but it can be done. Apparently. It's like an urban myth, but somehow less believeable.

It's expensive for other stuff, it uses more gas than the company cage (well, it sounds so good at 10,000 + rpm...). It eats chains. It's not cheap to insure.

Why should you buy one?
1. At $10-12,000 for a mint one, it's a fucking bargain.
2. it's a great looking bike
3. It has tonnes of torque, it's well sorted, and if you leave it stock, it's a pussycat around town
4. It's easy to work out the hp/litre on a litre bike.
5. It'll embarass any car you can think of. Street racing is illegal, I've only ever done it on private racetracks. Like the night I rode between two slow assed rich plonkers on a racetrack called spaghetti racetrack (it's in italy, ahem), can you imagine Mr Merc and Mr Porsche in their uber expensive AMG/Gt3 when a cheap bike roars between them at 100kph faster than they're going?? Laughed?, fucking near pissed myself...

Why shouldn't you buy one?
1. The torque makes highsiding a reality if you back off once the rear lights up.
2. It's not a good bike unless you've cut your teeth on a succession of bikes, buy a 600 for 95% of fun sports riding, buy a 750 if you like riding really REALLY fast. A well ridden GSXR750 is as fast in the real world, but it lessens the pucker factor.
3. It's cheaper than a bitch mistress. But only just.
4. You may think you can control yourself, but the reality is quite different, you will ride too fast, and you'll find yourself laughing like a loon. This is normally an indication of mental illness. You need to be a little nuts to ride in the first place, so in this case, mental illness is like an entry requirement for a GSXR1000.
5. You will get to know your local police officers very well. Unfortunately, out where I live the woman cops are called Wayne and have mo's. I have no interest in getting batoned, so I've tried slowing down. 99% of cops seem to give the other 1% a bad name... :p

Does anyone actually read my posts and giggle, or is this a solo thing?

MBB.

Coyote
25th November 2007, 21:38
Excellent read. Though it crushes my dreams of owning one anytime soon

Storm
25th November 2007, 22:15
Now THATS a good read:) Well done that man, I've never heard it explained so well

Chrislost
25th November 2007, 22:44
foooooooooookkkkkkkkkn nnnneeeeeooooooooooooooooooooowwww

(gsxr750)

jrandom
25th November 2007, 22:46
GSX-R1000s are teh awesum! lulz.

:confused:

BarBender
26th November 2007, 05:41
Good read. :2thumbsup
A Zook rider who can write...now there's one for the books.

Drunken Monkey
26th November 2007, 07:42
GSX-R1000s are teh awesum! lulz.

:confused:

+1

Gixxer Thou for teh win!

SimJen
26th November 2007, 08:07
Yep, gixxer thou heaven :)

Blue Velvet
26th November 2007, 08:42
Um, I'm glad I got a 750 :sweatdrop

SVboy
28th November 2007, 12:07
Great thread-thats an addiction I want to feed once I have learned from my 600 gsxr k7, I am soooo there!!!

lanci
28th November 2007, 13:14
Good read but I am not happy about the Nissan big bore reference there as mine freed up 15Hp...............ah well.

awesker
28th November 2007, 18:24
Ahah, brilliant write up mate.

chrisso
5th March 2008, 17:12
Good stuff mate, And its the Ghosties weapon of choice too I think( and a 510 hp 'Busa)

Gubb
5th March 2008, 17:19
Good read but I am not happy about the Nissan big bore reference there as mine freed up 15Hp...............ah well.

Don't forget the extra inch that it added.

skidMark
5th March 2008, 17:26
Don't like gixxers.

Frames break,

Short wheelbase makes them wheelie happy and bin too easily (think of a short wheelbase RWD car...try put it through a corner at high speed as fast as a longer wheelbase RWD car.)

All my mates who have died in bike accidents have been on late model GSXR's...3 mates same model bike...puts me off.

To me it's tempting fate too much to own one. Bad omen and all that.

But thats just me being a pussy.

SM

gav
5th March 2008, 18:00
And all 3 mates just cruising along, minding their own business?
What a load of bollocks ..........

onearmedbandit
5th March 2008, 18:25
Don't like gixxers.

Frames break,

Short wheelbase makes them wheelie happy and bin too easily

SM

Yes, because GSXR's have considerably shorter wheelbases than the opposition...

Matt Bleck
5th March 2008, 18:26
I'm going to put aside all the macho stuff, the pub stories about needing more horsepower, and relate to you the reality of living with a GSXRthou.

really? :Pokey:

Smaller is an issue for me at six feet, I feel like a gorilla riding a tricycle on the latest 600's....

I'm six foot, and to be honest most the modern 600's have riden ain't that much smaller. :Pokey:

I haven't made it to 2000 k's yet but it can be done. Apparently. It's like an urban myth, but somehow less believeable.

It's all about being smoooth on the right hand action, I've had 5000+ k's out of a rear Pilot Power :cool:

It eats chains.

same as above.... :hug:

quallman1234
6th March 2008, 22:17
Don't like gixxers.

Frames break,

Short wheelbase makes them wheelie happy and bin too easily (think of a short wheelbase RWD car...try put it through a corner at high speed as fast as a longer wheelbase RWD car.)

All my mates who have died in bike accidents have been on late model GSXR's...3 mates same model bike...puts me off.

SM
Owning anything bigger than a 400 is tempting fate for you.

Check out your stats. The r1 and gsxr have the same wheel base. (55.7inches or 1415mm)

Racer X
7th March 2008, 07:47
......and you'll find yourself laughing like a loon.

Too true! :laugh:

boomer
8th March 2008, 14:00
i had a guy on a blade do the 'we're not worthy hand gesture and a gt3 owner pull out his camera' because of my addiction.

meh meh ....

skidMark
10th April 2008, 13:16
And all 3 mates just cruising along, minding their own business?
What a load of bollocks ..........

Who do you know who rides a litre bike on open road at legal speeds minding thier own business.

I mean really.

If they were gunna be good all the time theyd have a 600.

Matt Bleck
10th April 2008, 13:31
Who do you know who rides a litre bike on open road at legal speeds minding thier own business.

I mean really.

well thats makes it alright then :niceone:

Coldrider
10th April 2008, 13:37
Nothing makes long distance touring more effortless & enjoyable than a roll the throttle on and off with no gear changing needed big bore sprotsbike.
Quiet on the ears over a day makes a big difference to.

enigma51
10th April 2008, 13:45

I mean really.

You know so much stuff its scary

skidMark
10th April 2008, 14:07
Owning anything bigger than a 400 is tempting fate for you.

Check out your stats. The r1 and gsxr have the same wheel base. (55.7inches or 1415mm)

Yeah except 35 RWHP vs 164 RWHP

skidMark
10th April 2008, 14:08
You know so much stuff its scary

Need a mentor?

onearmedbandit
10th April 2008, 14:11
Yeah except 35 RWHP vs 164 RWHP

He's talking about the GSXR1000 skiddy.

And yes on occasion I ride at the speed limit on my thou minding my own business. Some of us have what is called self control.

Here's a wiki link for you about it. You should try it sometime. Honestly. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_control)

skidMark
10th April 2008, 14:13
He's talking about the GSXR1000 skiddy.

And yes on occasion I ride at the speed limit on my thou minding my own business. Some of us have what is called self control.

Here's a wiki link for you about it. You should try it sometime. Honestly. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_control)

no hes talking about my 250 having same wheelbase as gsxr.

onearmedbandit
10th April 2008, 14:17

no hes talking about my 250 having same wheelbase as gsxr.

Really? Where? Do you have a GSXR250? Because what I see his post as saying is that the GSXR1000 and R1 have the same wheelbase. No mention of a ZXR250 at all in his post.

madbikeboy
10th April 2008, 17:09
Don't like gixxers.

Frames break,

SM

Dear Mod's I accept my punishment for what I am about to say. I kind of like the naughty step (or sin bin).

SkidMark,
You are retarded, there's no other explanation. Frames break on litre bikes, they're built on the limit - ride it into something, and it'll break.

I've had no problems and I have owned three gixers in a row. You can't be a retard and ride a litre bike. You think it's the bike's fault that your friends died?? There is a rotary propulsion modulator on the right bar. This might be the cause of some heartache for you.

Wheelbase. Look up the measurements. Get someone smart to read them out to you. Go find a nice place to draw the dimensions out, and then get someone smart to help you decipher them.

This is the bit that's going to get me sinbinned. SM, do you actually think about what you're going to say before you hit the submit reply button? I've seen the advice you give, the opinions that you bring with you. Logic clearly wasn't a required course where you went to school. You bring the term of moron to new levels.

Hitcher, OneArmedBandit - please do me the honour of the sinbin.

FilthyLuka
10th April 2008, 17:32
Really? Where? Do you have a GSXR250? Because what I see his post as saying is that the GSXR1000 and R1 have the same wheelbase. No mention of a ZXR250 at all in his post.

Holy shit... SKIDDY GOT AN R1 :crazy:

munterk6
28th May 2008, 23:46
GSXR's are cool...end of story. Definitely NOT for young novices to "try out".
People die coz they make serious errors of judgement, the bike is only the tool to be used(or in this case, abused)
Ive put 17000kms on my K6 thou, still on the original chain, half way thru the third rear tyre, at the end of the second front tyre, front pads are half worn originals, rear brake has been used 3 times. Ive done 2 trackdays on her, and I was NOT fucking around! Its all about smooth......skidmark, ya got a long road ahead of ya, ride it with caution and have fun along the way!!!

SixPackBack
29th May 2008, 07:20
Hmmm...the usual bullshit after it all this is a GIXXER thread........

The first thing you notice when sitting on 'the beast' is the throttle, this is a magic device with an almost unbelievable amount of power available for any willing pilot. What makes this actuator such a miracle of modern science is its ability to move IN TWO DIRECTIONS, yes that's right let go or twist the throttle forwards and magically the motorcycle slows!!!........who woulda thunk it. Perhaps more amazing than the throttle actuator is the sidestand, without which the bike lies on its side like a sleeping Labrador. Next up is the ignition key, now this little sucker will allow vroom-vroom noises and suchlike, but without this 'key' nowt happens!...you can yell, kick and screammm and the bike just looks at you.

But perhaps more interesting than any of these mechanical devices is the pilot. Now often GIXXER pilots struggle to form sentences and research has shown many lack an abundance of brain neurons and any form of SELF CONTROL. ;) But good pilots exist, ones that can tame the beast within and ride within the confines of acceptable road behaviour. [or at least find somewhere remote to 'practice']

Seriously- I have had 1800kms out of a rear tyre and well over 12000kms depending on the month/weather etc, the bike has travelled 46000kms and the chain is fine. I commute 60kms everyday AT THE SPEED LIMIT without any issues at all. The bike has seen more spirited rides, but increasingly these will be at the track.

Deano
29th May 2008, 07:37
This thread is soooooo last year.

Everyone knows that the 08 CBR thou is the bizzo !

madbikeboy
29th May 2008, 13:33

It's like bragging that your fat and not so hot looking girlfriend is a great fuck. Even if she's really, REALLY good, you still have to picture her hot sister in order to get the pipe working...

Deano
29th May 2008, 13:39
It's like bragging that your fat and not so hot looking girlfriend is a great fuck. Even if she's really, REALLY good, you still have to picture her hot sister in order to get the pipe working...

It will look great in Repsol colours. Only the nose looks a bit fugly IMO. And why should Suzuki have the monopoly on ugly bikes ?:whistle:

p/t

Deano
1st July 2008, 15:51

You red rep me for this, munterk6 ? :bash:

Did it strike a nerve or are you just having a larf ?

jim.cox
1st July 2008, 15:53
And why should Suzuki have the monopoly on ugly bikes

'cos they're so frigging good at it....

Stormer
1st July 2008, 17:45
"Living with a GSXR1000 (aka, the crack addiction)"

Right on!!!!!!!!
3 weeks in on a K71000 and I`m lovin`it...although this crap weather has been putting a bit of a lid on any decent rides lately.

325rocket
1st July 2008, 18:35

HEY!!!

fat girls need lovin too!

enigma51
1st July 2008, 18:46
GSXR's are cool...end of story. Definitely NOT for young novices to "try out".
People die coz they make serious errors of judgement, the bike is only the tool to be used(or in this case, abused)
Ive put 17000kms on my K6 thou, still on the original chain, half way thru the third rear tyre, at the end of the second front tyre, front pads are half worn originals, rear brake has been used 3 times. Ive done 2 trackdays on her, and I was NOT fucking around! Its all about smooth......skidmark, ya got a long road ahead of ya, ride it with caution and have fun along the way!!!

17000 and 3 rears :sleep:

You have been taking it easy or you using touring tyres

CHOPPA
1st July 2008, 21:43
Don't like gixxers.

Frames break,

SM

Reading to much into it id say bro, i have ridden everything and i strongly disagree, i have a k7 thou and its the easiest tamest bike to ride fast or slow. Standard suspension doesnt put a foot wrong on the road or track and id recommend it to anyone that is capable of riding a 600 it even has diff modes of power you can use depending on your skill. Its not the bikes fault people crash, i rode my old mans one at a track day and did everything i could to wreck his tyre and not once did it bite me.

In my opinion 99% of the riding population dont have the skill or experience to say one bike is better then another, sure a certain bike may be better for them but i have always purchased based upon whatever is the best deal and what i like the look of because theres always gonna be someone riding better then you on a bike thats half as good....

CHOPPA
1st July 2008, 21:50
Anyone want one?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76966

R6_kid
1st July 2008, 21:53
I've always been a Yamaha fan, and desperately want a new R6, but i keep enjoying my k3 thou too much to let it go. Standard gearing and it does everything I want it to, I'm tempted to gear it down a bit but it already lifts the front wheel enough as it is.

I feel like I'm torturing it by riding it to work for all of 1.3km - traffic lights to traffic lights and barely out of first gear most of the time.

The handful of open road rides I've done on it have been more than enjoyable and the only reason things have ever got slightly out of hand has been due to my own skill level not matching the capability of the bike, but my throttle control is getting much better these days :msn-wink:

The Stranger
1st July 2008, 22:03
Anyone want one?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76966

No thanks, I heard that the frames break easily and everyone who rides one dies.

The Stranger
1st July 2008, 22:05
The handful of open road rides I've done on it have been more than enjoyable and the only reason things have ever got slightly out of hand has been due to my own skill level not matching the capability of the bike, but my throttle control is getting much better these days :msn-wink:

So how are you finding that WP suspension? Better now that it's been serviced?

R6_kid
1st July 2008, 23:07
So how are you finding that WP suspension? Better now that it's been serviced?

Oh yeah, forgot about the fancy Austrian springy bits! It's quite nice, there is a lot more feel to it i guess you could say. I notice the bumps a bit more but they don't affect the bike like they used to, also the bike feels more stable and settled in general.

Haven't had a chance for a good fang on it since the change though.

marty
2nd July 2008, 08:34
3 rears in 7000 for me. i took it easy on the last one - a pilot road - the other 2 were pilot sports.

Swoop
2nd July 2008, 08:55
You red rep me for this, munterk6 ? :bash:

Did it strike a nerve or are you just having a larf ?
He had better not see the gsxr joke in this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76991) thread then...:innocent: