PDA

View Full Version : removing wheel bearings

steve1
29th October 2004, 15:01
I have only recently purchased a 2003 Kawasaki KDX200. After pushing the bike for 4kms after a flat rear tyre on only my second ride, (first ride it bucked me and resulted in a sprained ankle and wrist) I brought the bike home and fixed the pucture only to find the wheel bearings felt quite restricted in movement. I've removed the retaining clip that holds them in but before I do any more damage with the hammer! I thought I should get some advice on how to remove them from the hub as they are well stuck!

Any advice would be appreciated.undefined

vifferman
29th October 2004, 15:12
I thought I should get some advice on how to remove them from the hub as they are well stuck!
Any advice would be appreciated.undefinedSomeone with more experience will be along shortlyish, but my advice is to tap it firmly but not too roughly (like you mean it, but not like you mean to destroy it) around the whole circumference from the opposite side (i.e., tap the left-hand bearing out from the right, and vice-versa), using a hammer and drift.

Jackrat
29th October 2004, 17:17
Yeah FS is on to it.
I use a brass drift.You just tap one side a couple of times then move to the other side(same bearing).If it don't move get a bigger hammer an hit it harder.
Just don't use things like screw drivers,they ain't made for it an can scratch things.It helps to lay the wheel on a couple of large blocks of wood with the center between the two.
Have fun.

Wellyman
29th October 2004, 20:04
Don't hammer it to hard! that is the best advice as Jackrat said FS is correct here. Maybe use a big socket to drive it through.It should be just a little bit smaller then the outside ring of the bearing. Check first there is nothing retaining it on the other side.

FROSTY
29th October 2004, 20:36
I agree with all of the above Except I cheat a bit and spray a little bit of CRC or WD40 around the edge of the bearing. Then walk away and have a cup of coffee or a cold beer --either way leave it to penatrate. The bearing will be easier to knock out.

steve1
31st October 2004, 03:58
Thanks for the advice, I got them out with a bit of brute force. Should I put the new ones in the same way or maybe tap them in using a block of wood as a drift?

Wellyman
31st October 2004, 07:29
Tap gently i would say so you don't damage them would be about right I would say.

k14
31st October 2004, 08:17
Get a socket that is the same size as the outside race of the bearing. Then make sure the bearing is lying flat and then gently tap it in with a hammer. Depending on the fit it should get in there relatively easily, just put some grease around it and clean out the bearing seat before.

Wellyman
31st October 2004, 08:40
k14 I agree.Be careful how hard you tap them so that you don't damage them.

Oscar
31st October 2004, 11:31
Thanks for the advice, I got them out with a bit of brute force. Should I put the new ones in the same way or maybe tap them in using a block of wood as a drift?

Prolly too late, but: use the old ones (carefully).

laRIKin
31st October 2004, 16:45
I would also put the bearings in the freezer over night.
As that will make them a little smaller and easier to put in.
And if you can heat the hub up a little bit as well and that will help as well.
A heat gun (paint stripper) is enough, and don't burn your fingers. :crazy:
And just heat (warm) the hub up, and not the spokes to much.
AND DON"T FORGET, to put in the spacer. :o
They may just about fall in if you do this.

And as k14 said. Get a socket that is the same size as the outside race of
the bearing. So you do not hit the middel part, cause that will *^#@ it.

steve1
31st October 2004, 21:28
Thanks for all the good advice. The bearings are due to turn up tomorrow and I'm sure I can put them in now without incident.

Cheers.