PDA

View Full Version : World Superbike confirmed to be Pirelli only in 2004 and 2005

wkid_one
2nd August 2003, 17:49
This will make SBK interesting next year and remove one factor of difference

Rome, July 31, 2003. In its continuing development efforts for the Superbike World Championship, the FG Sport Group, Organiser of the Championship, in collaboration with Pirelli, has defined a program for supplying tyres for the three categories in the Championship: Superbike, Supersport and Superstock.
Starting with the forthcoming season, Pirelli will be the exclusive supplier of tyres for all the teams that take part in the 45 races in 10 countries for the title of World and European Championship.
The program will enable all the participants to compete under the same conditions with respect to tyres, which makes the performance of motorcycle manufacturers, team members and riders all the more important.
The agreement with Pirelli guarantees the supply of tyres for the Superbike World Championship for at least the next two years, 2004 and 2005, in addition to offering the teams additional advantages, such as:
• Guarantee of continuity and quality of the tyres supplied and the relevant services to all the teams and riders, in all the nations hosting the championship;
• Continuity of the technological development of the tyres;
• Tyres supplied will be of uniform high quality and available at advantageous and identical prices for all teams;
• Availability, for the entire duration of the partnership, of a Pirelli prize fund dedicated to riders, also to attract young talented riders to participate in the Championship.

In compliance with the pledges of the Superbike, Supersport and Superstock Championship and in compliance with requests submitted by the FIM to return the Superbike World Championship to its original vocation, that is as near as possible to the characteristics expressed by the production motorcycles, Pirelli has accepted the supply proposal offered by the organizer of the Championship.
The President of the FG Sport Group, Maurizio Flammini, commented: “The agreement with Pirelli, a world leader in the manufacture of tyres, guarantees the development and the continuity of the Superbike World Championship, which has been the primary thought behind our Group that has been committed to the organization of the Championship since 1988. Moreover, the agreement strictly adheres to the philosophy of the Championship that is to offer equal racing conditions to all participants. In this respect, we would like to thank Pirelli for the significant organizational and technological efforts that it will undertake over the next few years which, we are certain, will create the ideal conditions for new, important developments for motorcycle manufacturers, teams and riders in the Championship and in racing itself ”.
Stated Ugo Forner, General Manager of the Pirelli Motorcycle Business Unit, “For our Tyres Department the Superbike World Championship represents a challenge from both a technical and technological development point of view the maximum expression of live trials that support and finalize advanced research and development carried out in our laboratories all over the world. It is further confirmation of the importance that Pirelli has always attributed to the competition for two- and four-wheel production vehicles, in order to experiment innovative solutions and accumulate know-how that can be implemented in producing our high-performing tyres”.

Coldkiwi
4th August 2003, 13:24
So this should make those spanky new diablos a bit cheaper right?

($250 for a new front?? owwww!)

bikerboy
4th August 2003, 18:07
CK if you're going to dance the dance you've got to be prepared to buy the frock, so to speak.:rockon:

wkid_one
4th August 2003, 18:14
frock - my god - how old are you?

Coldkiwi
4th August 2003, 18:18
well I can dance pretty well with the $200 front frock I have at the moment so I dunno if I actually NEED the flasher frock! TBH, the dragon Evo's havn't made me 'slip on the stairs'* or anything yet so I'll probably save my money and put it towards the exhaust!

*my rear slide in the wet at puke doesn't count!

Dave
5th August 2003, 09:29
good sense,unless your trying to win a supersport championship,you probably dont need the best roadrace tyre you can get.

Dave
5th August 2003, 09:30
Did you notice i'm hardcore now-yeah who's the man
-hardcore,reminds me of a movie i saw once.

bikerboy
5th August 2003, 09:50
:Offtopic: I know but I want one of them cool pictures like Dave's got!:o

bluninja
5th August 2003, 14:27
:Offtopic: Maybe you need to get the bike on the track and have Marmoot take a picture.

TTFN

bikerboy
5th August 2003, 17:51
I was waiting for some smartaxx to post that, thanks for nothing. :argh:

Coldkiwi
8th August 2003, 12:53
this will be an interesting development as Pirelli have not been one of the major manufacturers in motorcycle racing recently. A Two wheels article by Steve Martin racing for DFX Ducati in SBK (basically a pirelli test team) noted that they (DFX and Pirelli) were really playing catch up to Michelin and Dunlop who have the advantage of many more teams running their products in Supersport and SBK as well as pretty much all the MotoGP teams. Consequently, their R&D efforts are much more comprehensive with the increased feedback from racers. So I guess getting the Supersport and SBK series will give Pirelli a huge boost in upping their tyre research with all the info they'll get back. I imagine that will also spill into Metzeler who are a subsidiary of Pirelli

I still can't fathom how they would've scored a coup like that, but hey, I love their stuff so its good for me!