PDA

View Full Version : 03 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro

clint640
29th October 2004, 15:46
I'm coming up to the 10 000 km mark on the Katoom now, so it's probably time to post a review. This is the most versatile and most funnest bike I have ever owned. The bike has been totally stock until recently.

I purchased the bike new from AFC Motorcycles in Palmerston North back in March. It was one of a number of runout '03's sold this year. I paid $13 000 for mine, including on road costs, a KTM accessory 18 litre fuel tank, and a set of handguards. Retail is around $15 000.

History:
The KTM LC4 (Liquid Cooled, 4 valve) dates from around 1987, replacing the earlier air cooled KTM 600. It has gained quite a few refinements over the years, among other things; electric start, counterbalancers off the crank & camshaft, A major makeover in '99, 43mm USD forks in '02,and new for '03 a 'high flow' head and hydraulic clutch. The '04 & '05 are the same apart from a stronger clutch AFAIK. The specs are here (http://www.ktm.com/EN/models_7352.asp?id_seiten=7352)

The Bike
My 1st impression of this machine was how much it looked like a modern dirt bike. The big USD forks, the beefy Magura fat bars, the seat extending right over the tank & the styling of the orange plastic all mean that the 640 doesn't really stand out when parked in a lineup of KTM's MX & Enduro models.
Throw a leg over the thing though and it is apparent this is a different beast - it's much heavier at 149 kg, and the seat is not a vinyl covered 4x2.

Start the bike and you're greeted with a quieter than expected exhaust note from the big steel silencer, she's fitted with a kick starter for a backup which works OK but usually I'm lazy & use the button.

Out on to the the road and you'll notice the vibration. The LC4's are notorious for it. However as my bike has run in it has got far smoother & I have probably gotten used to it a bit. I feel less vibes from it now than I did on my old VFR400. On the open road up to about 120 is smooth & comfortable, over this the wind & the vibes combine to remind you what a dastardly criminal you are being.You'll see around 160 km/h tapped out on the straights. When the curves come up the fun begins. The 300mm disc & Brembo caliper on the front do well slowing down, careful on the down changes 'else the rear will be chirping & skittering around, especially on the stock semi knobblies. The big travel forks & 21 front hoop don't give the feel of a sportbike, but seem to hang on well. At the apex give the bitch a handful & hang on - the very good WP rear shock & the big single power delivery give awesome drive & traction, seemingly oblivious to any lumpy tarseal as you exit the corner. This thing is a total blast on twisty tarmac, the tighter the better.
It's fairly comfortable too, I think nothing of going for a 600km road ride, however I would like to try the wider, softer seat KTM make, and maybe one day I'll make a bit of a windscreen to take the load off my arms as you do have to pull yerself into the bars a little bit at highway speeds.

Next Week: Gravel & Dirt...stay tuned

Cheers
Clint

Oscar
29th October 2004, 16:52
Good work Clint.
Mines an '02 with the 18l tank and an SXC 'zorst, and I just loves it. It's got about 6000km on it and as you mentioned the amount of vibration is getting better, I hardly notice it now.

Unfortunately, due to a couple of get offs I have become familiar with parts prices, and I have to say it wasn't too bad. A new front mud guard (just the front half) cost $45, and a new headlight (the glass bit) is $100 or so. My only real problem has been getting a tyre to suit. I tried a Karoo on the back, which was goodish off-road and shit hot on-road, but only lasted 800km - at $280 a throw this is an expensive proposition. Currently I have a Pirelli "Rallycross" which is a full knobbly but much cheaper (I have to tone down the road racing though). On the front I have a Conti TKC80, which is a great all around tyre but can be a bit dicey in really wet/muddy conditions (no side knobs, makes it a bit of handfull sometimes to keep in a straight line). I might go back to a knobbly on the front too.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report...

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/2993610-L.jpg

Coldkiwi
1st November 2004, 12:50
so how do you reckon it'd go with road tyres on as a motard?

Oscar
1st November 2004, 12:54

Fantastic.
It's great on the seal with adventure tyres.
I believe KTM has just released a new LC4 SM.

clint640
2nd November 2004, 11:00
Yep Coldkiwi, these make a great motard, KTM have been selling SM versions of the 640 for a while, as well as the more racy 625 and 660 LC4's. I'm going to get a set of 17's & some sticky rubber for mine as soon as the toy budget allows! As noted above the enduro versions are a hell of a lot of fun on tarmac on the right dual purpose tyres anyway.

Dirty Riding
The 640 is a great gravel road bike. All of the big thumpers in it's class are, really. A longer wheelbase than smaller dirtbikes and a bit of weight give stability & the 21" front wheel has good bite. The KTM stands out in a few areas: the slim tank lets the rider get way forward for some powersliding action, & the WP suspension does a good job at both ends - not only giving good control but also providing a pretty comfortable ride over corrugations & suchlike.

Off to the trail ride: I've just started to have a go at a few of the easier local trail rides. The first time I took it out I was expecting it to be hard work but was pleasantly surprised. It is a heavy bike compared with the latest enduro weaponry, but the LC4's are by far the lightest of the electric start equipped 600+ cc dirt bikes. The suspension & the stump pulling low down power make it a much easier bike to ride than the weight would suggest. The gentle power delivery of the CV carb also makes it easier for a dirt riding semi-novice like me. The bike seems pretty tough and has survived several low speed offs with only a couple of minor scuffs to the plastic. She has also survived a series of deep water crossings with no problems.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my single track experiences so far & hope to develop my skills further. However I have 2 things in my favour - I am 6ft and reasonably fit from plenty of mountainbiking. The 640 is not a trailbike for an inexperienced short weakling.

Modifications
After I wore out the Bridgestone TW302 rear (2500km) I fitted a Pirelli MT-21 Rallycross. This wore at such an alarming rate that I took it off and have been swapping it on together with an old Dunlop front knobbly for trail rides. I have been running a set of more road-oriented Pirelli MT-70's which have proven to be a good tarmac/gravel tyre. The rear is about buggered at 6500km, the front only 1/4 worn.
A set of Acerbis plastic handguards have saved my hands from a few trees and the levers from a few falls.
For trail rides a 14T front sprocket is essential, along with a proper chain guide. The wimpy standard item will let the chain get knocked off in deep ruts which swiftly becomes very frustrating - the beefy KTM accessory one can be had for about $80.
I have just fitted a KTM SXC pipe like Oscar - over 2 kg lighter, sounds great & goes better right through the revs. I am still waiting on the correct jets which should produce further improvement.
For touring I have made up a set of rails that I bolt on over the rear side guards to give me something to clip my throwover panniers onto and keep them from flapping against the plastic. I also made up a little rear carrier for bungeeing stuff onto. The rear subframe has plenty of solid attachment points making fitting stuff like this on fairly easy.

Summary
The KTM 640 is a great bike. The dual sport class is filled with bikes with a slightly different focus - some tend more towards the dirt, others towards the road, all are a compromise. For my purposes the 640 LC4 is the best bike available. It's a hell of a lot more expensive than what is probably it's most common competitor - the DR650, but for your money you get way better suspension, more power, less weight & much nicer engineering. I've ridden a DR and I don't think I would be punting one around a trailride with quite the enthusiasm that the KTM encourages.
The 640 has also been flawlessly reliable - I have had zero mechanical problems with it. I tightened up a slightly seeping oil line bolt when I took delivery and that has been the only time I have laid a spanner on it apart from doing routine maintenance.

And another thing, I have been impressed with the accuracy of Stretch Lupton's review of this bike in the Feb 04 Kiwi Rider. The guy seems to know his stuff.

Cheers
Clint

jrandom
2nd November 2004, 11:02

Aha! He's going the stooper-retard route. I shoulda guessed.

Are you *sure* you don't want a nice shiny cruiser, young man? I hear they do wonders for self-image...

Coldkiwi
2nd November 2004, 12:11
Aha! He's going the stooper-retard route. I shoulda guessed.

Are you *sure* you don't want a nice shiny cruiser, young man? I hear they do wonders for self-image...

pondering it. Yeah, it seems the cruisers make guys think they look great in tassles and 'cheese grater' helmets (aka open face - but once you've seen a crash victim who wore one...). Mind you, I think one piece race leathers look the goods and apparently some people think it looks like a cross between an astronaut and a toothpaste tube - so there ya go!

kiwipeet
8th March 2011, 13:52
Isn't it amasing, who and what you find when you're poking about the intuhweb.

Gidday Clint.

:scratch: