PDA

View Full Version : Gear advice please

oscarnz
26th November 2007, 20:06
Well I am going to be upfront, need suggestions or advice please ladies.

I am a size 20, and am having trouble finding riding pants to fit.

Don't care what size I need, just want to be comfortable when riding. Am new to this all, bike is only about a week away before it is ready (currently getting painted) and only have pants to buy.

All advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nicksta
26th November 2007, 20:59
what type of gear? cordura or leathers?
PM Quasimoto (Bret) he has a good range of sizes/styles and if you want, he can custom make to measure....
www.quasimoto.co.nz
he sorted out my suit for me :)

chanceyy
26th November 2007, 21:08
hey Carmen ... since i am a woman of ample proportions too was wearing cordura but just got a set of leather pants from quasi .. damn good deal and hands down the leather pants are way more comfortable .. got to test them tonite & doubt i will ever wear the cordura again .. wanna try them on :)

Mom
26th November 2007, 21:11
Finding gear to fit is not easy sometimes.....as Nicksta says.....get in touch with Quasi.......made to measure may be the way to go!

Highlander
26th November 2007, 21:12
hey Carmen ... since i am a woman of ample proportions too was wearing cordura but just got a set of leather pants from quasi .. damn good deal and hands down the leather pants are way more comfortable .. got to test them tonite & doubt i will ever wear the cordura again .. wanna try them on :)

Asuming that was a comfort test not a protection test?

chanceyy
26th November 2007, 21:14
Asuming that was a comfort test not a protection test?

definately a comfort test .. :lol:

fireliv
26th November 2007, 21:17
I know how you feel its not the easiest buying comfy gear.

I actually got my pants from overseas, but in saying that, they aint that comfy.. they're 2 big!
But my jacket is an Ixon jacket, who have started making larger womens gear. The Jacket is fantastic, and though I didnt look into it to much, I think they made pants for the same sizing range. Should be able to get/ look at them in most bike stores I would hope.
Anyways this website helped me http://www.girlsbike2.com/
you can contact them regarding sizing even though they are UK based.

Good luck!

oscarnz
27th November 2007, 16:27
thanks for the options, will have a look into them.

Don't mind either leather or condura but am a little controlled by my budget. But looking for safety then comfort

MSTRS
27th November 2007, 16:32
thanks for the options, will have a look into them.

Don't mind either leather or condura but am a little controlled by my budget. But looking for safety then comfort

As regards which sort, it is personal preference, but the rule of thumb seems to be that decent leathers will protect you better than cordura in an off. Some people prefer cordura for it's wet convenience - others can't wear it because it doesn't breathe like leather will so they get too hot.

maxworldbiker
4th December 2007, 14:03
Ah! Welcome to the ever-raging clothing debate! What type of gear to go for is very much personal choice and, as with all raging debates, there are merits and drawbacks in both camps. Leather does tend to look better on, in bigger sizings. I have a close friend who is a size 18 and she looks and feels way better in leather than fabric. I believe its safer, too. For what its worth, I've been riding 32 years in leathers, and I've never found them to be all that much of a problem for comfort, because I have a set that fits me comfortably without being tight or baggy (that's the key), so the air flow is adequate whatever the weather. I just wear layers underneath to suit the weather as best I can judge it, and I wear wets over the top when needed that don't take up much space in the luggage. I also have a fabric armoured jacket, which has a detachable liner. Thats great in summer, and I'll often wear it instead of the leather jacket on a hot day, with vented leather gloves in place of my winter 2x2 finger ones that are awesome. The one thing I will NEVER NEVER change from tho is wearing leather pants, because I'd rather be a little hot than scarred for life by taking the chance and hoping no crazy cager is gonna see my ass as a target, or not see it at all, which amounts to the same thing. I wear shorts underneath in summer, or leggings in winter, and as someone else whose worn leather all their riding life once told me... its easier and faster to wash sweat off than grow new skin. Leather trou are an extra 12 layers of skin if you come off, and I believe its the best insurance you'll ever pay for because I've seen firsthand enough mangled lower body parts thanks to kevlar not going the distance (literally!) and hospitals digging gravel and God knows what else out of wounds that might have been prevented if the riders had worn leather instead. One decent "off" on an unforgiving road and fabric's not fit for much. Why do racers tend to wear leather? Worth thinking about. Leather keeps on going, in most cases. My jacket I bought second hand in as-new condition thirteen years ago is still as good as the day it was made, with a few wee scars to mark its passage through life. Its my mate, its part of my riding history in a way that a fabric jacket will never be, and I bought the leather trou brand new, twelve years ago. $400 made my eyes water at the time but looking back I have to say its the best money I've ever spent.
My advice would be to try both. If you have friends that will lend you what they have for a test-ride and/or a walk-around, take advantage of the opportunity before you spend your hard-earned dollars. If you're still undecided after giving them both a whirl, hit up TradeMe for an affordable set of each. Or try eBay UK/USA as they tend to have a much bigger selection of generous sizing in bike gear for men and women, and even with the postage, you can still get some really good deals.