PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki spanner-man required

Jonah
27th November 2007, 16:15
I got a 88 Suzuki GN250 with some nasty piston slap so I recken it needs a new piston/rebore or whatever.

Any recommendations, I can drop it off anywhere from the city south to Pukekohe?

FilthyLuka
28th November 2007, 17:06
ILL DO IT! Well, actually, you'll do it. GN's are easy to work on something righteous. Just get the manual, i can send it to you if you dont have one. PM me.

Jonah
28th November 2007, 19:45
I'm keen to give it a go. I've done car stuff in past but never touched a bike before, I've got a copy of the Manual and I probably just need some advice on what I need to do cos the manual assumes you want to strip everything down.

FilthyLuka
28th November 2007, 20:20
aight, drop me a line if you get stuck, pretty much leave the engine in the frame, take off the tank and seat. Off go the rocker cover, head and top end and then you should be able to see everything that is wrong/right with your piston.

Might pay to set the valve clearances aswell, its real easy, undo locknut, twisty the thing, check with feeler gauge. rinse lather repeat.

dont drop the spanner in the crank case...

Jonah
30th November 2007, 15:25
OK I can see how to strip off the rocker cover and head but I can't figure out how to take off the top end (effectively the cylinder block if I was looking at a car engine?) and piston. i.e. how do I seperate the piston/crank whatever from the rest of the drive train?

Jonah
2nd December 2007, 09:00
Sorry the pages in my copy of the manual are out of sequence!

So I remove the cylinder off the piston then take the piston pin out and take the piston off the crank.

Jinx3d
6th December 2007, 19:52
Dude,

Are you sure its the piston, I stripped a GN 250 for piston noise and it turned out to be 3 loose bolts holding the flywheel together. Could have fixed it by just pulling the side cover off.

Of course, I had the case split and crank out before I found it.

Sods law.

Good luck

Jonah
7th December 2007, 08:03
No I'm not sure, the guy who sold it too me thought it was slap and I was just glad he was upfront about a possible problem, but it doesn't smoke or burn much oil which I would have expected if there were problems in the bore....

someone else suggested checking the rocker arms (I think) as they sometimes get rough...

I'll get someone knowledgable to have a listen/look before I start pulling it apart.