PDA

View Full Version : possible 250cc expemtion?

Frankie
29th October 2004, 22:38
Im loking at getting a bike around May cause then Ill have my car paid off and will have money for a bike finally :D

However Ive riden a FXR and a ZXR 250's are their all a tad too small for me :S

Could I possibly get a exemption :D?

ta

:scooter:

Mr Skid
29th October 2004, 22:54
What makes you so special you need a bigger bike?

Are you to crap to go round corners at a decent pace and need more power in the straights so that you can keep up with gn125's?

Or have you eaten too many pies?

Why are you asking us anyway? Yes, you've now got a KB special dispensation, you can now ride any bike up to 250million cc with up to 4 pillions (11 with a sidecar)

ok, if you haven't figured yet I'm giving you shit. But you still need to explain why your special.
There are two possible ways to legally ride a bigger bike on a learners/restricted. If you pull finger and look through previous threads you'll find the answers.

Bob
30th October 2004, 02:02
What makes you so special you need a bigger bike?

Are you to crap to go round corners at a decent pace and need more power in the straights so that you can keep up with gn125's?

Or have you eaten too many pies?

Why are you asking us anyway? Yes, you've now got a KB special dispensation, you can now ride any bike up to 250million cc with up to 4 pillions (11 with a sidecar)

ok, if you haven't figured yet I'm giving you shit. But you still need to explain why your special.
There are two possible ways to legally ride a bigger bike on a learners/restricted. If you pull finger and look through previous threads you'll find the answers.

I'm with you 100% here!

Go and pass your test - which means you'll hopefully learn to ride a bike, rather than just thinking you can leap on anything and it'll be a doddle.

Normally I'd not foist UK laws on anyone, but it does make sense to learn what you are doing before going off and trying to get an allowance to kill yourself.

:argh:

Frankie
30th October 2004, 05:57
I can ride bikes... the problem I find is that Im a bit too tall for 250's...

like on a ZXR 250's the faring come upto my knees are yeah its not a pain free experience... and on a FZR 250 my knees dont really fit where their ment to go either and it can be awkward at times...

a 250 is fast enough for me just like... not big enought size wise... well going by the two that ive riden so far

Lou Girardin
30th October 2004, 06:04
There is a move to get an exemption regime underway, but knowing Government depts it won't be quick enough to help you.
Do you qualify for the CBT scheme?

Frankie
30th October 2004, 06:08
Tell more?

riffer
30th October 2004, 07:11
Tell more?
These courses have been introduced by Land Transport Safety Authority as a trial to help motorcycle riders with experience and competency in riding motorcycles to proceed through the graduate driver licence system by reducing and in some cases eliminating the time frames. (http://www.passrite.co.nz/cycles.htm)

There are two parts to this trial:

Part 1
Competency Training & Assessment course (CBTAR) for those that hold a Class 6 Learners licence.

For those on a Learners Licence (6L) moving to Restricted Licence more >> (http://www.passrite.co.nz/cyclesintermediate.htm) (http://www.passrite.co.nz/careers.htm)

Part 2
Competency Training & Assessment course (CBTAF) for those that hold a Class 6 Restricted licence.

For those on a Restricted Licence (6R) moving to Full Licence more >> (http://www.passrite.co.nz/cyclesfull.htm)

Two Smoker
30th October 2004, 07:34
How tall are you exactly???? and how heavy???

Posh Tourer :P
30th October 2004, 08:25
Get yourself a ZZR250/VTR250/GT250/Hornet250/ETZ250

Theres a list as long as your arm that arent small - ie bigger and a bit more comfy than the FZR/ZXR250. FWIW my friend who is 6'4" rides a FZR250, so I dont see why you cant.....

Stevo
30th October 2004, 08:34

Theres a list as long as your arm that arent small - ie bigger and a bit more comfy than the FZR/ZXR250. FWIW my friend who is 6'4" rides a FZR250, so I dont see why you cant.....

Jeeeeeepers!
I am a measly 5foot 6inches FZR250 rider and damn glad I am nowhere near six feet tall!

I agree though. Other 250 models may be suited to taller riders but as I am a wee fella on a FZR I wouldn't recommend that model to you

Mr Skid
30th October 2004, 10:01

like on a ZXR 250's the faring come upto my knees are yeah its not a pain free experience... and on a FZR 250 my knees dont really fit where their ment to go either and it can be awkward at times...

a 250 is fast enough for me just like... not big enought size wise... well going by the two that ive riden so far

Sports bikes were never meant to be comfortable.

Get a trail bike. They have no fairings to catch your knees on and you don't have to contort to fit them.

dhunt
30th October 2004, 10:07
Another thing you might want to do is go get your learners no w so that when you get your bike or even before, you can go straight to restricted. Rather than messing round with stupid 70km/h rules etc.

dveus
30th October 2004, 10:20
Another thing you might want to do is go get your learners no w so that when you get your bike or even before, you can go straight to restricted. Rather than messing round with stupid 70km/h rules etc.

Thats harder to do than it sounds, I had planned to do they same but once the license was in the back pocket it didn't take long for a bike to end up in the garage. Still would rather be riding now with a learners than not riding at all.

FlyingDutchMan
30th October 2004, 10:39

Just how tall? I'm 6' 6" and have no problems on my CBR250R, and have taken on long journeys with no more than a streach each time I tank. Just sit at the back of the seat and you'll be fine.

Frankie
30th October 2004, 11:21
about 6 3 or 6 4

Mr Skid
30th October 2004, 11:32
Just how tall? I'm 6' 6" and have no problems on my CBR250R, and have taken on long journeys with no more than a streach each time I tank. Just sit at the back of the seat and you'll be fine.

..Or sit on the pillion seat if you want to stretch your legs. I'm 5'9" and can reach still reach the cbr's clipons without any issues from the pillion seat.

rodgerd
31st October 2004, 10:11

I'm 185cm (6'1"), and a 250 Bandit is a very comfortable fit. Naked bike, no pesky fairing!

bungbung
31st October 2004, 17:07
I had a ZXR250 and it was acceptable. Look at a more relaxed bike like the Zeal for a bit more space.

R6_kid
16th July 2005, 13:08
geeez you silly russian! you're not much bigger than me if at all... my zxr is sweet but i know what you mean with the fairings - you just have to sit further back on the seat.

btw mine will be up for sale in the near future for around $3500-4000 :devil2:

Pathos
21st July 2005, 14:51
I was worried about my Fxr being too small, but I have no troubles, its easy to sit back and theres no fairings in the way.

Pancakes
15th September 2005, 11:37
Wouldn't seats be bum height (give or take)? IE, a 750 isn't 3 times higher than a 250, they are all adult height. I had a mate who was 6'5" at least and he owned and rode Vespa's, GN's NC's RC's RGV's VFR's and more. Get your bend on. They won't give you permission to ride a bigger bike, they'll mark your licence with "admitted he can't ride safely" and tell you to get a car.

bumsex
17th September 2005, 16:08
The suzuki across bikes are quite big for 250s. Definately worth a try. 4cyl 4stroke too.

Gremlin
17th September 2005, 17:24
I struggled getting onto a ZXR could hardly lift my legs onto the pegs. I've got a ZZR, not bad except that most who have seen me on it reckon I look like I'm normal sized and riding a scooter.

Other problem is suspension, next time it goes in (probably start sending to Motohaus as well) I must get it looked at, just sitting on it makes the bike sag... even showed JSG and Zapf and they didn't look too impressed.

So don't forget about suspension as well.