PDA

View Full Version : Epic Journey - For a Newbie

Xaria
27th November 2007, 19:02
The STG Summer Motorcycle Safari is a kind of orientation event. You go to certain points and answer questions. This year it covered the compass points of sealed roads in Southland proper. A big group did it the weekend of the 17th Nov but I couldn't go then, so I went by myself 26 - 27 Nov. It has to be completed and sent back by 31 Jan. I have only been riding for a couple of months and hadn't gone further than Alexandra by myself.

Got back from the Magpie Madness rally on the Sunday night with Nighthawk and unpacked all my gear then had to repack for going away on the Monday morning by myself. Checked everything twice then realised I didn't have sleeping bag - no wonder the bag looked empty. Oiled chain and checked everything on bike was still working.

Monday morning, got up packed bike and was out of Dunedin just after 6am. Headed to Balclutha on SH1 then down the back roads through to Clinton. Back to SH1 to Gore and with a bit of a tiki tour off to Te Anau. Sit down and take some pics then off to Milford Sound, making sure to fill up with gas as I would hate to run out. Lots of bikes around, possibly taking the long way home from the Burt Munroe. There was a few patches of road works along the way but nothing too nasty. The scenery was awesome and the main thing which slowed me down was stopping for pictures all the time. The keas are very friendly and should not be fed. Any evidence of them with apples does not mean I gave them any. Short stop at the Homer tunnel as it is single lane. Only a few minute wait but can be up to 15 min long. Going through the tunnel was so scary as it is on quite a gradient and I found out my lights don't show up very much. Some nasty twisties just afterwards while I was still trying to get by breath back, 25, 35 and 25 corners (I think) while still descending quite rapidly. After that there was just some single lane roads and bridges and lots of tourist buses before getting to Milford. Quick look round and a snack, gassing up - card only and $2.00 a litre for 91 octane. No Super available, 91 and diesel only. Big group of bikers at the cafe at Milford Sound. The ride back was a little better as I knew what to expect and most of the nasty corners and the tunnel were uphill so I had a little more control.

Through to Manapouri for a few more questions and I had intended to spend the night here but I was ahead of schedule so pressed on to Tuatapere. I thought there was a petrol station before Tuatapere but I was mistaken. Get to town and the gas station was closed and doesn't take eftpos. Book in at the backpackers and find out there is another gas station at the other end of town which might not be quite shut. Zoom down and no signs out - doesn't take cards either. Checking the times on the window and the guy comes out. Woohoo. Gas up and find out that I hadn't used as much as I thought. Damn not having a fuel gauge. I haven't gone to reserve yet and I am just as happy not using it. Walk round town and answer some more questions. Oil chain and then have an early night.

Off early the next morning, going around the southern coast, Very cold and stormy. Some awesome views to be seen. Go into a lookout and free campground at Monkey Island. Come out and I hear a weird noise. My chain had fallen off. As I am looking at it trying to work out what to do, a guy who had been camping at the site comes out to check what was happening and he helped me get it back on. We get the bike under cover and he uses the tools in his van to tighten my chain for me. What a lifesaver. Not sure why the chain came off as it was tightened 2500 km ago and wasn't too slack when I was oiling it. After chatting about the bikes he has had the rain let up and I got back on the road. Further round the coast to Riverton and then I nip inland to visit my Grandfather and have a cuppa and warm up a bit. When the rain let up again, I continued onwards to Invercargill and Bluff. As I get back to Invercargill I stopped for more petrol, lunch and look at what the weather was doing. The sky was looking really nasty over the Catlins and the wind was still really bad so I decide to head back to Dunedin on SH1, also with my decision was that I wasn't 100% confident about my chain. Average speed on the way home would probably have been about 90km or less as I was being blown all over the road, until Balclutha when things started calming off.

Arrive back in Dunedin, slightly stiff and sore but really happy with my trip. Passed the 1000km mark by 66km which was awesome. Goes to show that a female can travel alone, but I really need to learn some maintenance for my bike and have some tools with me for basic repairs.

I will have to force myself to go back and finish it off by going down the Catlins. That shouldn't be too much of a hardship though, I have done it twice already so just add some sunshine.

janno
27th November 2007, 19:05
Met quite a few women in Aus who have done massive distances by themselves on their bikes. Not one of them had a problem with being a single travelling female.

So don't stop now!

NighthawkNZ
28th November 2007, 05:53
Kewl write up, and for someone that has only been riding now for a couple of momths... well dane. I am glad you are enjoying yourself. It is a pitty you couldn't finish the safari in one hit, but probably made the right decision. Weather can make a differance on how comfortable riding is. The good thing is, is that you can do the rest when ever you get the time off before the end of january or on one of your free weekends. (a what now?) :)

We did check your bike over before you left, and everything seemed fine I suppose it was just one of those things regarding your chain, that something had worked itself loose. Same sort of thing happened to one of the riders on the Back of the Beyond except the chain worked it self to tight... :scratch: then again he was riding a ducati so it was a bit of character.

SDU
29th November 2007, 12:36
Awesome write up. :rockon: Pity you copped some crap weather but I guess all part of the adventure.

RedKLR650
1st December 2007, 23:14
The STG Summer Motorcycle Safari is a kind of orientation event. You go to certain points and answer questions. This year it covered the compass points of sealed roads in Southland proper. A big group did it the weekend of the 17th Nov but I couldn't go then, so I went by myself 26 - 27 Nov. It has to be completed and sent back by 31 Jan.

I will have to force myself to go back and finish it off by going down the Catlins. That shouldn't be too much of a hardship though, I have done it twice already so just add some sunshine.

Wow Xaria, very cool write-up, but a question please..... :innocent:

How does one find about the STG Summer Motorcycle Safari and is it too late to enter and do it ? :nono:

Regards, Stu :scooter:

Xaria
2nd December 2007, 05:53
I had seen printouts about it at a couple of rallys - I think it was the pissed penguin and then the Mates rally. Entries had to be in by 1 Nov. Details can be found at bikerallys.co.nz (http://bikerallys.co.nz/october.htm)

Already planning on doing next year LOL

RedKLR650
2nd December 2007, 10:06
I had seen printouts about it at a couple of rallys - I think it was the pissed penguin and then the Mates rally. Entries had to be in by 1 Nov. Details can be found at bikerallys.co.nz (http://bikerallys.co.nz/october.htm)
Already planning on doing next year LOL

Bugger :shit:, you're right, too late to enter officially, but any chance of getting a copy of the route, as it sounds like a fun ride:niceone:, and I'd be curious to do it anyway, even without the carrot of a badge at the end :crybaby:

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Xaria
2nd December 2007, 15:32
I have attached it (hopefully) as a .doc at the end of this post. I retyped it out at a larger font so it would be easier on the bike.

RedKLR650
2nd December 2007, 21:43
I have attached it (hopefully) as a .doc at the end of this post. I retyped it out at a larger font so it would be easier on the bike.

Thanks Xaria, it attached OK, looks like a fabulous ride. :2thumbsup I'll wait until this weather sorts itself out and head on down that way. Thanks again for the information. Cheers, Stu :banana: