PDA

View Full Version : vfr800

HRT
27th November 2007, 20:46
Any differences 2007 to 2008?

Any thoughts on using it as a tourer? Considering purchasing one and just want to know a little bit about peoples experiences, thoughts etc :)

jafar
27th November 2007, 20:52

Any thoughts on using it as a tourer? Considering purchasing one and just want to know a little bit about peoples experiences, thoughts etc :)

They are built as a sports tourer, very capable machine all round. More details here.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/bikedetails.asp?BikeTypeID=4&ModelID=21&type=

vifferman
28th November 2007, 07:48
2007 and 2008 are same-same. Except mebbe for colour choices.

The VFR800 is a sports tourer, so I suspect that at a pinch you could use it for touring, as long as you were a bit sporty with it.

But then again, I dunno.

TerminalAddict
28th November 2007, 08:21
what kind of touring are you thinking of?

I would pick a vfr "hands down" unless I was planning a 6 trillion miles tour around the states or summat

HRT
28th November 2007, 16:26
Not sure yet, possibly few trips up to Chch from Dunedin, up to Whangarei to catch up with a few people once or maybe more. Would like a sports bike but am needing soemthing to use for going to work and as above, slightly longer rides.

VFRmuzz
29th November 2007, 13:38
the only difference from the 2006 model to the latest is the shape of the key and the colour of the wheels.

vifferman
29th November 2007, 13:43
Not sure yet, possibly few trips up to Chch from Dunedin, up to Whangarei to catch up with a few people once or maybe more. Would like a sports bike but am needing soemthing to use for going to work and as above, slightly longer rides.
Well then - it sounds like the VFR800 would be perfect.
I commute on mine every day, use it for recreation, occasionally go touring with the vifferbabe on the back.

Qkchk
29th November 2007, 14:00
Nothing wrong with a VFR800! :Oi:

Downsized from a R1 to something a bit more comfortable....

It does it all - Sports riding (not flat out track day stuff) the VFR doesnt get left too far behind the GSXR, ZXR, R1/6 and CBR's. Obviously not as fast as them but when it comes to riding longer distances you will probably arrive before them because you have a slightly larger fueltank and far better ergonomics. It is made for Touring and as a commuter, I dont have any problems with mine when I take it through the City of Snails....

vifferman
29th November 2007, 14:37
It does it all - Sports riding (not flat out track day stuff)
Yeah, it does that too.
You've got to remember that the VFR started out as the Interceptor in Mrka, and cleaned up the 750 racing there till the other companies got over their shock, pulled finger and fixed up their bikes. That's how Freddie Spencer got started, and why he still has a soft-spot for the VFR.
Sure, the latest ones are a bit neglected by Honda so they're under-equipped and underpowered, but for a few shekels (well... OK, a few thousand dollars) you'll be able to buy a Torocharger (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31492) kit and bung it on, giving the VFR an almost-instant, hairy-chested, 160+hp makeover.

Swoop
29th November 2007, 14:53

Oh boy. If you want THE bike for all seasons, this is it.
PM coming!

huck farley
30th November 2007, 13:57
I had a VFR800FI I bought it new in November 05. I found it a great bike to tour on. The wife and I did the South Island in Feb 06 We did 4278km and every one a gem.

The bike performed admirably for us and was real a real miser with the petrol. I had the factory hard luggage not cheap but roomy. I only have one moan and that was it was found wanting in the power department, two up with luggage.

The gearbox got a good working over I can tell you. But great bike, great build, and has a big smile factor. If only they made them a little more powerful for the two up touring side of things, I would be on one again tomorrow.
cheers
Huck Farley