PDA

View Full Version : Jetting carbs

dirtybomb
27th November 2007, 21:27
Anyone have know how when it comes to re-jetting/tuning float carbs?

I want to stop my engine from four-stroking at WOT.

JimO
28th November 2007, 14:12
whats four-stroking at WOT

dirtybomb
28th November 2007, 14:52
Thats great, thanks heaps!

Aero165
28th November 2007, 16:43
You could buy a B1 rep. :P Learning to ride is for pussies. Haha:whistle:

Gadgit
28th November 2007, 16:49
Hay DB
The daytona is an easy bike to jet as you can get a adjustable main jet for them but the B1 and other quicker bikes are a bit harder I have a set of jets for the 14 to 19mm rep carbs.... I spent most of last weekend at Mt Welly jetting my little duke .... 1 up test ride 2 down test ride lol

MisterD
29th November 2007, 07:02
4-stroking is a sign of running too rich. Do your carbs have adjustable needles or just different jets?

Katman
29th November 2007, 09:07
So what is "four stroking"? In 25 years as a mechanic I've never heard the words used in this context.

Gadgit
29th November 2007, 18:45
Hay MisterD
The daytona carb runs a 13mm piston type carb with a 4 slot adjustable main needle but you can get an adjustable main jet also as an upgrade. The higher HP engines run a 17mm-19mm piston type carb with adjustable main needle or a 14mm slider type carb both carbs have adjustable low jets but interchangable main jets.

xwhatsit
29th November 2007, 18:53
So what is "four stroking"? In 25 years as a mechanic I've never heard the words used in this context.

I know diddly shit about engines, and even less about two-strokes, but going by a couple of posts on KB about this before it's when a two-stroke engine fires every four strokes, just like a four-stroke. Recalling those posts, it can happen with either too rich or too lean mixture; first time, there's not enough fuel, so the mixture is not ignited. As there's no exhaust stroke in a 2T, a good lot of the first cycle's mixture hangs around, so the second time you have enough fuel to get it to go. And thus it starts again, as all the mixture is now burned. Same thing happens the other way around with lack of air or whatever.

Ixion once wrote here that 4Ts can 8-stroke as well, but it's not very common. I swear I felt that once or twice at a very small throttle opening whilst coasting, but I might well be wrong.

Gadgit
29th November 2007, 19:28
Katman 4 stroking on a 2 stroke is like a laymans terms for top end miss due to to rich mixture.... I have heard this term used a bit in the pocket bike world lol but as a fellow mechanic I can say it's not a term I have come across in daily use..

orange
29th November 2007, 21:29
so gadgit do u think that little duke will stay with the DM Telai?
as 4 4 stroking at wot down size main jet one size, xminimoto.co.nz might have some?

keep up the good work gadgit :laugh:

Pancakes
29th November 2007, 22:24
whats four-stroking at WOT

Thats what I thought too,

Thats great, thanks heaps!

The only thing I can think of is your a dick and mocking him, why?

He obvoiusly doesn't know shit Katman cos I wouldn't use a term in a question that I didn't know or the answer is sure to be confusing too. DB are you too good to write a one line answer or did you just not know? Seems to me you didn't cos the answer to "what is 4-stroking" is insufficient mix by the sounds of things, not that I've ever heard it either and know and help several failr mechanical types including 2-stoke mechanics.

Yeah a bit of a ramble I know but just cos your on the internet DirtyBomb doesn't mean you can be a cock, unless your a cock in real life too?

xwhatsit
29th November 2007, 22:29
Thats what I thought too,

The only thing I can think of is your a dick and mocking him, why?

He obvoiusly doesn't know shit Katman cos I wouldn't use a term in a question that I didn't know or the answer is sure to be confusing too. DB are you too good to write a one line answer or did you just not know? Seems to me you didn't cos the answer to "what is 4-stroking" is insufficient mix by the sounds of things, not that I've ever heard it either and know and help several failr mechanical types including 2-stoke mechanics.

Yeah a bit of a ramble I know but just cos your on the internet DirtyBomb doesn't mean you can be a cock, unless your a cock in real life too?

Pretty sure jimjim changed his post, before it was something completely irrelevant and flippant.

As for four-stroking, here's the post that I was recalling earlier -- Ixion does know his two-strokes, so I don't think it's some made-up term: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1070433&postcount=18 WOT, I'm sure you know, just means wide-open throttle.

DB doesn't really strike me as very cockish, I think you're confused by jimjim editing his post and then you've grabbed the wrong end of the stick.

Pancakes
29th November 2007, 22:59
Pretty sure jimjim changed his post, before it was something completely irrelevant and flippant.........DB doesn't really strike me as very cockish, I think you're confused by jimjim editing his post and then you've grabbed the wrong end of the stick.

If thats the case I'm sorry, jimjim please add when you edit?

xwhatsit
29th November 2007, 23:02
If thats the case I'm sorry, jimjim please add when you edit?

May be completely wrong. It's just I remember cracking up at reading what jimjim wrote and then DB's response :laugh: Now that doesn't make sense. Unless the identical exchange took place somewhere else?

MisterD
30th November 2007, 16:43
As for four-stroking, here's the post that I was recalling earlier -- Ixion does know his two-strokes, so I don't think it's some made-up term: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1070433&postcount=18 WOT, I'm sure you know, just means wide-open throttle.

I guess it must just be the circles you move in, it's a pretty common term in the scooter-tuning fraternity.

If it runs ok up to full throttle, it may just be that there isn't enough air getting through

dirtybomb
30th November 2007, 17:09
Pancakes, instead of skimming through forums looking for and argument and/or being one of those guys that is a real pain in the ass on trademe asking stupid questions on things you wont even bid on; find a women to argue with, you might find they are on your level.

Do you know how to re-jet/adjust these carbs Pankake? If you dont, why input on this thread at all? Too much time buddy.

Oh yeah, as for calling me a cock, say it to my face or leave the name calling for the playground.

:nono:

Thankyou Gadgit and others for your intelligent input.

Pancakes
30th November 2007, 20:43
Pancakes, instead of skimming through forums looking for and argument

I opened the thread because I know people who would have definatly been able to answer pretty much any question you might have and rightly or wrongly saw rudeness and sarcasm instead.

and/or being one of those guys that is a real pain in the ass on trademe asking stupid questions on things you wont even bid on;

I have once asked questions on TM in regards to an obviously shitty product and posted it on this forum too so people would be aware. It was a cellphone related product and I was for some time a cellphone and RT technitian and installer. Just didn't want KB'ers to waste their money.

find a women to argue with, you might find they are on your level.

Yep, I was right, what a cock. Rent a Mrs by the hour for DirtyBomb with charm like that eh?

Do you know how to re-jet/adjust these carbs Pankake? If you dont, why input on this thread at all? Too much time buddy.

See my firt reply in this post.

Oh yeah, as for calling me a cock, say it to my face or leave the name calling for the playground.

:nono:

Thankyou Gadgit and others for your intelligent input.

PM sent, enjoy your scooter, hope you get your stroking sorted. I'll leave you to your thread now.

dirtybomb
30th November 2007, 22:00
uhhm yeah.. Too much time.

P/m said I was a cock-eye. Naughty.

Pancakes
1st December 2007, 10:17
If your gonna post it post the whole thing.