PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of giving up biking...

Steam
28th November 2007, 17:57
I just had my second crash, I shattered my collarbone (into 4 bits) while riding through the outback in Australia and had to be flown by Flying Doctor to the nearest hospital, etc etc, blah blah...

I have had two crashes on motorcycles now, a year apart. The first one was a beginner's crash that I will not repeat due to having more experience now. (Target fixation)
This most recent crash I don't remember, (concussion + amnesia) but I think it was probably due to hitting a patch of deep gravel or dust at 70 kph and being thrown off. (It was a gravel road)

I'm afraid that it's going to happen again. I will hop on my bike again in a few months and probably with a year or two I will have another crash, another month off work if I'm lucky. And hopefully no permanent damage.

I do everything I can to be safe, wear All The Gear All The Time, take a skills refresher course every year, read about and practice good riding techniques regularly.
But I still think I will fall off within a year or two and hurt myself again. Something will happen, a cage pulling out in front of me, a bit of dirt on a corner, a patch of oil...
It's not like I push the boundaries of what my motorcycles can do, it's just basic rider error on my part really. Maybe I just don't have the brains or reflexes or instincts to make a proper biker who doesn't fall off.

What you think? Is this just a normal part of being a motorcyclist or have I had a run of bad luck? What can I do to STOP FALLING THE FUCK OFF. Or should I just give up and avoid the pain of another off.

I really love biking and bikes, it is the wickedest feeling, but I think the price may be too high.
I love biking but only as much as icecream and chocolate. (but less than beer)... so it wouldn't kill me to give it up.
My Mum reckons I should keep riding, she knows how much I love it, but I'm not so sure.

SwanTiger
28th November 2007, 18:01
You're doing considerably well compared to other Kiwi Bikers, Mark was averaging 1 write-off every 3 months.

Katman
28th November 2007, 18:06
Well if you're that easily put off then I suggest that motorcycling just isn't for you. Simple really.

jrandom
28th November 2007, 18:07
I'd say, two bins over a year for a beginner, par for the course, not too bad really.

And let's face it, you took on a pretty big task riding that postie bike through the unsealed Australian outback!

No reason to take a standard n00b target-fixation crash, plus an (effectively) offroad bin in seriously hardcore conditions that resulted in a broken collarbone and concussion, and conclude that you're doomed to be a bad rider. No reason at all.

You're not doomed to bin. Every moment on the bike, you're in control, you get to make the decisions that control your wellbeing, and you have no sensible reason to believe at this stage that you're any worse than the rest of us at doing that.

:niceone:

No reason to force it, though. Ride, don't ride, do whatever the spirit moves you to. You should be able to look inside your own mind and know what you want to do from day to day. Nobody will judge you either way.

:apint:

davereid
28th November 2007, 18:07
Motorcycling is certainly more dangerous than sitting at home on the sofa.

But so many of the things we do, (the fun ones at least!) involve risk.

Personally, I would never give up any of the dangerous, but fun things I do.

So if you enjoy dangerous hobbies - motorcycling, diving, skydiving, boxing or whatever, just try and be as safe as you reasonably can be without giving up, or focusing your entire time on the bike on the dangers.

Trudes
28th November 2007, 18:10
Yep, doesn't sound too bad to me Steam, injuries happen all the time, playing sport, driving a car, cooking dinner, getting pissed and falling over etc etc, yet we continue to do these things. Is it a fear of getting hurt or is it a confidence thing? I guess it's a matter of weighing up the good and the bad aspects of it for you and making a decision from there. Hope you sort it out and get back on your bike and join us riding soon.:sunny:

Crisis management
28th November 2007, 18:15
Don't stress it Steam, if you want to ride bikes you will, if you don't feel comfortable with the possible consequences, you won't.

Also remember, there are other things in biking other than riding in dangerous situations (I class your last off as in that category) so you may well find an aspect of biking that appeals to you. Recently I sold the 1100cc sports bike and now use a big chook chaser because I realised that falling off at my age was going to hurt more than I wanted to put up with. I still miss the beauty of pure cornering, its definately not the same on knobbies, but in balance I am better off.

You will know where you feel comfortable, go there and enjoy life. There is far more to life than bikes (ducks for cover) and you need to get out there and be the best you can in whatever way works for you.

Enjoy the trials of life Steam, this is why you went out into the big wide world, to see what you could learn.

Thinking of you.

Iain

Pussy
28th November 2007, 18:17
Your mother is right. I fly topdressing planes for a living, and have been riding motorcycles since 1974, so far staying in one piece. It's about risk management. So long as you don't let your confidence exceed your competence, you'll be right

crashe
28th November 2007, 18:17
My Mum reckons I should keep riding, she knows how much I love it, but I'm not so sure.

Listen to your mother, she knows best.

She is encouraging you to continue to ride....... so do it.

Let yourself heal up first, get over all your injuries and get a Doctor's clearance to ride again. Buy another bike and start all over again.....
Maybe do a refresher course..... like the 'Ride Safe Ride Right' Course.

Hell doing the ride in Aussie was a tough ride... yep you have taken a few knocks..... but so have many other riders..... and we all got up again and rode.

Don't be put off by a couple of falls..... get up, dust yourself off and get out there on a motorbike.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :2thumbsup :scooter:

tri boy
28th November 2007, 18:29
My Mum reckons I should keep riding, she knows how much I love it,

Theres your answer mate.:2thumbsup
Besides, you have had only two off's.
OK, they hurt, but they could of caused no pain/scratches. Its the luck of the draw so to speak, and not being in total control is one of the reasons people like yourself are drawn towards such activities.
Keep on riding mate, and maybe throw a leg over a dirt bike occasionally also to get some off road skills honed. I'm sure some KBers will assist there.:grouphug:

janno
28th November 2007, 18:33
It might be more difficult for a bloke to deal with it, but in any situation where you were going along swimmingly and suddenly you are badly dented and in pain, it's easy to lose a lot of confidence. And then sometimes you feel like a wimp and a failure and why can't you just harden up like everyone else etc, etc.

Perhaps cos your brain had no prior warning signals, so it feels like it WILL randomly happen again now that it's happened once? I've had it after horse riding accidents and car accidents, but haven't given up either riding or driving, and got the confidence back pretty quickly.

That bull dust in Aus is absolutely notorious for causing the downfall of even really experienced off road riders, it's shit of a stuff.

Just relax about it. If you ride again you do, if you don't you don't. It makes no difference to the greater scheme of things either way.

Bonez
28th November 2007, 18:35
Keep at it Steam. You're probably just feeling a bit down at the moment. Chin up ol boy.

Mom
28th November 2007, 18:39
I think this is part of the healing process mate. You were badly hurt and it will take time to get well again. Dont give up riding!

Take your time getting back into it, lack of confidence will be a given for a while.

I have read your posts and seen how keen you were to do that big adventure! It is still there waiting for you to do you know.

Get well, then get a bike, and then gently get back into it. Shit happens sometimes is all........my advice is dont make any decisions one way or the other till you are 100%.

Cache Wraith
28th November 2007, 18:44
Hey, good luck with the healing Steam.

fishb8nz
28th November 2007, 18:45
Do what you think is best. I remember something my mum told me - "Never do anything away from me that you wouldn't do in front of me".
Hell, I've been married for 35 years and no other partner and I wouldn't have sex with my wife in front of her! What would she expect from a 15 y/o??

I've had a badly broken collar bone - playing rugby
I've had a badly broken wrist - mountain biking
I've had a badly damaged knee - playing soccer
I've had a mildly broken ankle on my motor bike - totally my fault

Get back on your bike and just take it easy until your confidence comes back. Then...take it easy, stay within your limits but still have fun.

Skunk
28th November 2007, 18:46
First bin after13 months riding, second bin 13 months later. Dreaded the third coming... it took seven more years for it to happen.

No idea when the next one will be but I'm here to LIVE my life, not pass through it.

Daffyd
28th November 2007, 18:46
Show me someone who claims not to have had a bin or, at least a close call, and I'll show you a liar. You can't factor the oz experience into the equation...that was an exceptional circumstance.
Stick with it. I had two bins on the way to my first rally, (at the tender age of 63), but reasoned that if I didn't carry on, I would never ride again.
You're young and resilient, you'll overcome your doubts. Give yourself a spell and then have another think.

NighthawkNZ
28th November 2007, 18:48
I just had my second crash, I shattered my collarbone (into 4 bits) while riding through the outback in Australia and had to be flown by Flying Doctor to the nearest hospital, etc etc, blah blah...

I have had two crashes on motorcycles now, a year apart. The first one was a beginner's crash that I will not repeat due to having more experience now. (Target fixation)
This most recent crash I don't remember, (concussion + amnesia) but I think it was probably due to hitting a patch of deep gravel or dust at 70 kph and being thrown off. (It was a gravel road)

I'm afraid that it's going to happen again. I will hop on my bike again in a few months and probably with a year or two I will have another crash, another month off work if I'm lucky. And hopefully no permanent damage.

I do everything I can to be safe, wear All The Gear All The Time, take a skills refresher course every year, read about and practice good riding techniques regularly.
But I still think I will fall off within a year or two and hurt myself again. Something will happen, a cage pulling out in front of me, a bit of dirt on a corner, a patch of oil...
It's not like I push the boundaries of what my motorcycles can do, it's just basic rider error on my part really. Maybe I just don't have the brains or reflexes or instincts to make a proper biker who doesn't fall off.

What you think? Is this just a normal part of being a motorcyclist or have I had a run of bad luck? What can I do to STOP FALLING THE FUCK OFF. Or should I just give up and avoid the pain of another off.

I really love biking and bikes, it is the wickedest feeling, but I think the price may be too high.
I love biking but only as much as icecream and chocolate. (but less than beer)... so it wouldn't kill me to give it up.

One of the most important things you pick up from riding is like a sixth sense... sort like spidey senses... Once you get this sense which is as important and emergancy breaking, its emergancy advoidance... Your riding will be just as much fun and you don't need to be going at super sonic speeds either

You start to think ahead, you see that cage, then warning alarms fuck he hasn't seen me and is going to pull out in front of you, so you slow down and ready to stop... he pulls up, you continue forward at your spped giving him more room, just in case he does the stupid cage thing. You see that cool corner, then hear the warning bells, is there a sheep about to jump out, or a new grit patch, or a cage cutting the corner, you slow down to take the corner at "the pace" picking your correct line, giving you a better view around the corner, giving enough time to change you line if needed...

I just noticed you are in Dunedin, If you wish to go out for some rides (when you get better and get back in the saddle)... let us know... and maybe get a few pointers, tips following someone elses lines etc...

The main trick I be teaching Xaria is slow and mathodical movements, it makes smooth riding and less chance of making a mistake that the bike doesn't like and a bin, which over all will slowly build her confidence and then build in speed.

Steam
28th November 2007, 18:49
Yeah, good advice from everyone there. No need to make any hasty decisions just yet. Get better first.

Bonez
28th November 2007, 18:53
Thats the way.

Steam if it make you feel better this ol coot has had 3 offs in the last three months. OOPS!

Mom
28th November 2007, 18:55
That the way.

Steam if it make you feel better this ol coot has had 3 offs in the last three months. OOPS!

OOOOOOO bugger.........:hug:

car
28th November 2007, 18:56
I'd say, two bins over a year for a beginner, par for the course, not too bad really.

No reason to force it, though. Ride, don't ride, do whatever the spirit moves you to. You should be able to look inside your own mind and know what you want to do from day to day. Nobody will judge you either way.

I can't help but agree with everything in this response.

Every time I've had an accident I've gone through a similar down phase, asking myself what I could have done, what I can do differently to avoid it, have I hurt myself enough now to warrant just throwing in the towel.

Last time was the worst. I spent weeks figuratively picking at the scabs. I was all for selling the bike. My missus told me not to, and I'm so glad she did. I waited, and I came around again, and had fun with it.

Recent personal events see me giving up the sportsbikes for the foreseeable future, but I won't be giving up riding until I have to, should the day come.

My advice to Steam would be "wait until you're out of the funk." Now's not the time to be making rash decisions. Leave it 'til the painkillers have worn off and the pain's more of a memory than an every day reality, then weigh it up.

For what it's worth, reading about Steam's outback jaunt rekindled my missus' desire to learn, hence purchase of the DR200 in our garage, and rekindled my own desire to do one decent overland trip before I shuffle off. Inspirational stuff, and if it was easy, every sucker would be doing it.

Conquiztador
28th November 2007, 19:23
Give it up. It is not worth it.

I mean, what man in his right mind needs a adrenalin kick on regular basis?
And that leather jacket, it is not what the chicks see first, it is the man inside.
And to be able to say: "Yes, I can take you home. Hope you like BIG motorbikes" means nothing. If she really likes you she will come to the "Yes, I will take you home, do you know when the last bus goes?"

To be envied by the cagers on a hot day when they sit in the traffic, to meet up with other bikers, to ride a twisty road... All that is nothing.

Shit, you will always have the: "I used to have a motorbike just like yours..."

Nasty
28th November 2007, 19:30
Steam ... people have said it all here .. from mother knows best (and she does) to take time to heal .... I agree with them all ... take the time to get the body right ... and then the time to get the soul right ... you can ride again and you will have confidence to do it well .... :) ... just remember that it is also about believing in yourself to get back on the bike and make it happen .... :)

dmouse
28th November 2007, 19:37
ol so go take up knitting or something but dont trip over your wool while walking them dam needles can do some damage !!!

ive been riding 35yrs had a few minor bins when i was young never broke a bone or anything serious but i learnt and carried on and in the last three years i have here goes, cut my spleen in two broken ribs punctured lund damaged my liver damaged my bladder i have to pee through a tube now caught hepitius from theatre not contagious, suffer from PTSD and claustophobia i now cannot drive a car without throwing up !!! so all i have is my bike i got binned again not my fault in october and im itchin to get back in the saddle by the way i have not had a bin that was my fault since i was kid ok you give it up but i bet you as mucg as you want you will miss it mate, just put it in the shed till you get the nerve back as wot happens today and is sore is soon forgoten tommorow ride on ride free

chanceyy
28th November 2007, 19:37
after having two offs in two weeks both gravel related & the first again classic newbie mistake with target fixation, can honestly say the confidence took a battering .. & perhaps it was not a bad thing .. I am changing my riding style my thought processes and obviously still very cautious about riding in, through or over gravel

but will i give up bikes .. that thought had crossed my mind several times but the need to be on the bike far outweighs the thought of giving up at this time ..

and being older & starting riding .. yeah it hurts when ya crash for sure

Skyryder
28th November 2007, 19:42
Could be just a bad patch you are going through. Then again if you have doubts and have serious injury...............the spirit might not ever mend.

Your Mum sounds an OK lady.

Skyryder

Big Dave
28th November 2007, 19:48
Motorcycling is dangerous sh*t and can kill you every time you throw a leg over.

Do what your heart and head tells you and don't listen to anyone else.

spookytooth
28th November 2007, 20:05
Have to say i had been thinking along the same lines (quitting bikes)this week. So yesterday i went for a ride just to get my head clear.Decided nope noway maybe a new bike next year though :)

turtleman
28th November 2007, 20:13
Steam,

Had my first bin aged 18, hitting a dog on SH2 - a bit of skin lost, damaged pride and the dog went to doggie heaven.
2nd bin on a back country road about 18 months later, when a farmer pulled out of a driveway and left me nowhere to go - more lost skin, more damaged pride and some nasty bruising. :mad:
3rd bin about 3 years later in a suburban street by an oncoming car which turned across my path into a driveway - apparently he "didn't see me". :angry2:
Smashed tibia and fibular, broken femur and a dislocated hip.

All 3 bikes were written-off (3rd one wasn't even mine !)

It took me 3 years to get the confidence to even ride a borrowed road bike after that, let alone buy one of my own.

I finally got back on my own set of wheels 2 weeks ago, after almost 15 years off the road. Bought a cruiser, went on a couple of rides and started commuting to work on it.

I'm glad I've done it as I've missed the bikes sooo much. Already met some great people because of it, and hope to meet many more. :woohoo:

You may not want to wait that long, or you may never ride again. It's never a closed issue. You have all the time you want, to make that decision. And it doesn't matter what that decision is - you can always change your mind later if you want to.

Sharry
28th November 2007, 20:15
Good luck with the recovery. Listen to yourself. There was a reason why you started riding. Give yourself time and you will know if you will regrete it if you dont ride again. Chances are you may never have another bin, be positive with yourself. Good luck mate.

homer
28th November 2007, 20:28

This most recent crash I don't remember, (concussion + amnesia) but I think it was probably due to hitting a patch of deep gravel or dust at 70 kph and being thrown off. (It was a gravel road).

Id say just toughen up ...thats my fav saying
I wrote one bike off hitting the side of a car i saw the speedo at 80 and still had the trottle full on so i guess getting to 90 when i hit the car .
I survived , you sound fine to me

Bykmad
28th November 2007, 20:32
Quick Quiz.

Do you enjoy riding a motorcycle?????
Answer: No. Then stop!
Answer: yes Then continue

Your choice.

DMNTD
28th November 2007, 20:43
No need to make any hasty decisions just yet. Get better first.

Mate...you've just said it right there! :whistle:
I've been riding off and on for 20years,have mentored more than my fair share of so-called n00bies,done some pretty styley riding etc...and I've had two "random" bins this year at legal speeds like yourself!
It's simply a part of our passion unfortunately...best thing to do is to continue your training and get on with it...if you so choose.
For now just heal the bod and the soul will follow :cool:

Drum
28th November 2007, 21:03
Sounds like you got the heebie jeebies mate. It'll pass.

beyond
28th November 2007, 21:07
Don't be hasty. When I was young and learning I covered 25,000 miles in 9 months and had about five accidents. Two were writeoffs and all of them hurt like hell.

These days I've lost the odd friend and seen some go down bad but I know I couldn't not have a bike now.

There are risks in everything. Tommorrow you could die from a tumour, be hit by lightning or a bus but man do you live a lot when you ride :)

You'll come right. Reflection is a part of every off. You love riding and that will never go away.

carver
28th November 2007, 21:09
just give up, or accept that binning is part of the road to winning.

i have written off a few bikes...been in pain from doing so, but it never put me off

Winter
28th November 2007, 21:30
Steam, I think i know how you feel mate.

My collarbone is also currently in a few too many peices after my first off (After 10months riding). I too cant remember anything about the day thanks to a big dose of concussion (and being uncouncious for several hours).

I really dont like the fact I dont remember it. Why wasn't I able to stop? Whats to stop it happening again?

I don't know about getting another bike. My family tells me this crash should have taught me just how vunerable bikers are.

I think only time will help - with our bones, and with the answers.

jafar
28th November 2007, 21:34
Give up riding ?:crazy: Take some time to heal then make your decision!!:calm:
Bikes get into your blood, once a biker always a biker.;)

discotex
28th November 2007, 21:46
We've only got so long to live and riding gives me such a buzz I'm fucked if I'm going to miss out on it because I got taken out by a cage.

The old saying "hop straight back on the horse" really applies with this sort of thing. It felt weird getting on a bike three weeks after the cage took me out but it was worth it to get my 6F. Was a bit of a mind fuck going for my licence test the next day but what's life without a challenge or two. After 15min on the bike you start to loosen up again. I think it'll make me more conservative for a while though.

Not saying you should go out for a fang as soon as you're better but do at least potter up and down a driveway or something so you don't lose the nerve.

jrandom
28th November 2007, 21:53
The first time I sat on a bike after smashing my thumb up in a highside (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1152424#post1152424) (six weeks after surgery, once I was cast-free) the bike was a K6 GSX-R1000 that belonged to someone else, which I was riding away on for a weekend down the line.

:eek:

No better way of being thrown in at the deep end!

MyGSXF
28th November 2007, 21:54
4 wheels moves the body.. 2 wheels moves the soul.... :D

so give your body time to heal.. then let your soul decide.... :yes:

big :hug: for you!!

Jen :rockon:

gijoe1313
28th November 2007, 22:31
As a certain actor said in a scripted line as part of a scene of "The World's Fastest Indian" :

Tom: "Aren't you scared you'll kill yourself if you crash?"

Burt Munro: "No... You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime."

I love that quote... take some time out, let off some steam (sorry! :o) and then when you're ready, throw your leg over something two wheeled and see how that grabs you! :msn-wink:

Jantar
28th November 2007, 22:42
Um, Lets see: (not counting accidents off-road or on the race track)

1st bin was a head-on into a car after 6 weeks riding;
Next was a bounce off a marker peg 8 weeks later;
Then a slide in some spilt diesel after 9 months riding;
Next was over a bank on a gravel road after only 12 months riding;
A taxi T-boned me 9 months later;
A tank slapper on an icy gravel road saw me eating gravel after another 12 months;
Falling asleep at 3:00 am on a back country road 6 months later didn't do much for my enthusiasm;
A blow out in a rear tyre at 100 kmh that same week caused a bit more pain;
Having a rear hub collapse while sliding on an icy road 18 months later gave me a better insight into how the ambulance service works in a rural area;
Falling off while not paying attention on a CT110 was the latest.

Injuries so far: Bruised knee, broken wrist, broken leg, broken ribs (lost count of how many), Dislocated and broken right shoulder, damaged vision in one eye, dislocated left shoulder and detached tendons, A cut penis (don't laugh, I still have the scars). I'm sure there are others that I have forgotten.

I think I might have to give it away as well. But first, there is another passes ride, the Mini returns ride, next year's 1000 miler, the Rusty Nuts 10,000 km in 10 day ride, a ride around aussie in 42 days, I must complete a postie bike challenge, etc. I should be able to give up riding in about 30 years.

But seriously, Steam, I do know just what you are feeling, I have felt the same after some prangs. I won't tell you to HTFU, nor will I say "give up its not for you."

What is important is that you set your goals and follow the path that is most likely to allow you to achieve them. If a sense of adventure fits in with that then come back to motorcycling when you are ready. But most importantly, do what your heart dictates.

scumdog
28th November 2007, 22:53
See my sigs dude. (the midle and last one!)

Southern man
28th November 2007, 23:07
When you get on your bike does it make you feel great.Iam currently in plaster from my hip to my toes after a skiing accideent with the kids, stupid silly accident that shouldn't have happened. But hay shit happens. I am sitting here and counting down the days until I can get back on the bike. It is still one of the best most stress releiving things that I can do. I have been riding for over three decades and have a number of falls. Don't let this put you off in years to come you will look back on it and treat it as what it is. A learning experience. Keep on riding and learn from your and others mistakes. Keep riding or you will wake up at 50 an regret the day you put the bike aside.

Have fun, best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cold comfort
28th November 2007, 23:16
Great advice from all, particuarly Jantar who shares the same circumstance. There are no guarantees, however, although i MAY die or be injured from my interests (motorcycling, diving, snowboarding, flying etc) it is certain i WILL die anyway at some point from something else. I'd rather it was'nt from boredom.
Take time to heal and try again and you will know yourself. Big ups for taking on the Outback. You are obviously made of stern stuff!

judecatmad
29th November 2007, 01:57
When I wrote off the ginny in March this year, to even go into a bike shop gave me palpitations (and not the good sort!). I was convinced that it wasn't for me and I was never going to be any good at it. Gave Dave's bike one go afterwards and was too scared even at super-nanna speeds on the gentlest of corners!!!

And mine was only a very minor off - not hard to write off a ginny, eh?!

But now I've had a long, enforced break, all I want to do is get back on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give it time. You've had a scare. Maybe it will take time for you to feel comfortable getting back on. The last thing you want to do is push it if you're not ready. But I wouldn't say never.......not you, you love it all far too much to be off permanently!

Taine
29th November 2007, 06:54
Mate you will never stop falling off it's 1 thing that will always happen, in your riding experience thru your life, I couldn't count how many times I have come off but I can say I have learn't from every single 1.
Some people are naturals but others I do agree should never ride. It all comes down to your love for it, like people say once in your blood always in your blood.
I myself will ride to I can't or not able, I can see no other possibility in my future due to the love of it.
I say get back on go for a good ride on your own then make your mind up, right then and there you will know...
I'm guessing you will love it!!!!!!!!

Str8 Jacket
29th November 2007, 08:12
Yeah, good advice from everyone there. No need to make any hasty decisions just yet. Get better first.

DEFINATELY!! And boy do I know! Ive had more than my fair share of crashes. I wrote off my first (brand new) bike within 2 months by being a dick. I bought my 2nd bike with the insurance without even thinking about giving up. Luckily I was still keen on riding AND Uncle B was around to keep me alive by teaching me how to ride in a safe manner! I almost gave up after I crashed my 2nd bike when I had only just written off my first bike 2-3 weeks earlier. I remember leaving the bike parked up in Featherston for 2 weeks and had made all these great plans to sell it. Luckily I missed riding so much that I got it back and kept riding. I still have a completely numb knee and arthritis in it from my first crash but I love bikes to much to give them up. Its a personal choice though and you should only do what makes YOU happy! I say keep at it but if you dont want to then maybe rest up for awhile and review it later down the track!

EnzoYug
29th November 2007, 08:42
I remember waking up in hospital with no memory... it sucks.

But you gotta keep pushing on. Your afraid of what might happen? Don't be afraid of 'what ifs' or you'll never smoke, drink, or eat again.

Remember, you're more likely to die of a shark attack out in that desert than die on your bike. (if I remember my road safety stats correctly)

Anyway. Glad you're intact.

Badjelly
29th November 2007, 09:35
Well if you're that easily put off then I suggest that motorcycling just isn't for you. Simple really.
Shattered collar bone! Easily put off?

Bass
29th November 2007, 09:40
I have skim read this whole thread and I may have missed it, but no-one has pointed out the obvious except JRandom who alluded to it. The Postie Bike Challenge is called a Challenge for a good reason. There is also a good reason that they put Big (as in large diameter wheels) on off road and adventure machines. The front being larger than the rear is also common.

You have recently had a practical demonstration of why.

You bit off a fair mouthful and more power to you for that. However it was always going to take some chewing.

IMHO I think that you need to realise that, in order to put some balance back in your thinking before you make the next call.

P.S. Did you ever connect up with your bike again?

sels1
29th November 2007, 09:48
What you think? ... should I just give up .

Mate......4 words.....THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Ocean1
29th November 2007, 10:09
There is also a good reason that they put Big (as in large diameter wheels) on off road and adventure machines. The front being larger than the rear is also common.

You have recently had a practical demonstration of why.

There's also a little matter of experience. I'm very aware that my dirt-learned techniques and reactions, (such as they be) are sometimes a potential liability on the road. I know street-learned styles can be just as dangerous off it. Would be nice if you could remember the circumstances of your off, guess you'll never know what went wrong. As someone noted deep soft sand is a bit of an acquired taste, the usual requirement being to get WAY back on the bike to unload the front, otherwise it washes out.

Such a combination of terain and bike is a big ask without some dirt experience, when you've had a while to recover and if you decide to finish the ride maybe you could spend some time on a chook chaser refining your dirt skills first eh?

Rest dude, and don't worry too much about deciding yet, it'll come.

ManDownUnder
29th November 2007, 10:29
I was always taught as a learned to "budget" for 3 crashes before you're going to be ok.

Everyone has three and then you're all good.

Sounds like you've simply found a couple of situations you weren't prepared for and paid the price to be honest. Experience is a wonderful thing but it's only gained through time in the saddle.

Either way it's all good though - only you know what you've been through, and what you're willing to put up with. Your call - I'm behind you either way.

idb
29th November 2007, 10:37
Don't stress it Steam, if you want to ride bikes you will, if you don't feel comfortable with the possible consequences, you won't.

Also remember, there are other things in biking other than riding in dangerous situations (I class your last off as in that category) so you may well find an aspect of biking that appeals to you. Recently I sold the 1100cc sports bike and now use a big chook chaser because I realised that falling off at my age was going to hurt more than I wanted to put up with. I still miss the beauty of pure cornering, its definately not the same on knobbies, but in balance I am better off.

You will know where you feel comfortable, go there and enjoy life. There is far more to life than bikes (ducks for cover) and you need to get out there and be the best you can in whatever way works for you.

Enjoy the trials of life Steam, this is why you went out into the big wide world, to see what you could learn.

Thinking of you.

Iain

Beautifully put.

idb
29th November 2007, 10:43
Um, Lets see: (not counting accidents off-road or on the race track)

1st bin was a head-on into a car after 6 weeks riding;
Next was a bounce off a marker peg 8 weeks later;
Then a slide in some spilt diesel after 9 months riding;
Next was over a bank on a gravel road after only 12 months riding;
A taxi T-boned me 9 months later;
A tank slapper on an icy gravel road saw me eating gravel after another 12 months;
Falling asleep at 3:00 am on a back country road 6 months later didn't do much for my enthusiasm;
A blow out in a rear tyre at 100 kmh that same week caused a bit more pain;
Having a rear hub collapse while sliding on an icy road 18 months later gave me a better insight into how the ambulance service works in a rural area;
Falling off while not paying attention on a CT110 was the latest.

Injuries so far: Bruised knee, broken wrist, broken leg, broken ribs (lost count of how many), Dislocated and broken right shoulder, damaged vision in one eye, dislocated left shoulder and detached tendons, A cut penis (don't laugh, I still have the scars). I'm sure there are others that I have forgotten.

I think I might have to give it away as well. But first, there is another passes ride, the Mini returns ride, next year's 1000 miler, the Rusty Nuts 10,000 km in 10 day ride, a ride around aussie in 42 days, I must complete a postie bike challenge, etc. I should be able to give up riding in about 30 years.

Shit mate...I'm never pillioning with you!!!

GaZBur
29th November 2007, 11:15
You have had two bins in a year. Bit of bad luck. Sounds like you don't need to learn how to ride - you just need to learn how to fall. You have reduced the level of injury by wearing appropriate gear. I have had 8 bins in the same time 3 on dirt, 2 on gravel, and 3 on tarmac (mostly when racing coz I'm crap!). Twice I have been hurt a little. Have you ever considered a few Judo lessons? No Seriously!!! The first thing they teach you is how to break a fall so you don't hurt yourself, I was taught that 40 years ago and a breakfall is still as natural now as it was then, even though I am now far more fragile.
I answer this coz I see you are from Dunners too. Good luck with recovery.

Anyway you won't be able to help yourself - you'll be back!!

NighthawkNZ
29th November 2007, 11:31

Mums know best yah know, you have been bitten by the bug... you'll be back, you know you want to... however take the time out rest recover etc. You will know when the time is right to get back in the saddle and ride, and as I said when you do, look some of the other Dunedin Riders up and I am sure we can all go for a blat around them hills...

When I was younger I had a few errr misshaps ;) however more experienced now and I haven't had a bin in (touch wood and head) for 15 years of riding, it doesn't mean I won't have one and I certainly don't won't one, but its the risk you take.

vifferman
29th November 2007, 15:56
Like someone else said here (can't be ferkt going back to see who it was), ignore all the comments (including this one), and do what's best for you.

I've had a few crashes in the 30+ years since I started riding, but strangely enough, even though my first at age 17 was the worst (t-boned a car and somersaulted over it), I never even thought about whether I'd ride again. However, the second bike I wrote off a few years back had me at the point of signing up for a car instead. It wasn't until I gave it some REALLY deep thought that I realised I wasn't quite ready to give it away.

I've had lots of people come up to me and say, "Yeah, I used to ride a bike once, but...." and I think that's really sad, especialy since the "but" is usually summat along the lines of, "but I wimped out / became boring / settled down and became an office drone / got married and my wife told me I wasn't allowed a bike / would rather sit in a car talking on my cellphone and listening to crap musak".

A bike to me isn't a means of transportation; it's something that defines who I really am.

Motu
29th November 2007, 17:41
A bike to me isn't a means of transportation; it's something that defines who I really am.

So you think my old,worn out,oil leaking bikes have something to say about me personally?

jrandom
29th November 2007, 17:42
So you think my old,worn out,oil leaking bikes have something to say about me personally?

Yes.

Yes, we do.

:lol:

:grouphug:

DUCATI*HARD
29th November 2007, 18:10
pussy:2guns:

ital916
29th November 2007, 18:50
hey man, i know where you coming from, i have always wanted to ride, got a bike, and i've already had two bins learning to ride in the last month. You just gotta get back up aye, heal up and take it slow. I rode again today after my bin yesterday and it was pretty damn scary but taking it slow and knowing that i will get better with time helped me. Plus you've got all the great kiwibikers to help out if ya need it. :2thumbsup take ya time, take it easy and ride safe.

Peace

D

The Pastor
29th November 2007, 18:55
hey steam while your in aussie go vist chopper reid and HTFU.

kevfromcoro
29th November 2007, 18:56
Biking is a bit like rooting...once u learn ..u allways go back
i havent riden for years..and now iam back into it...
like meeting fellow bikers down the local..we all seem to have something in common.

Grub
29th November 2007, 19:01
What you think? Should I just give up and avoid the pain of another off..

And you're asking us in a motorcyce riders forum?

My big off has certainly affected me, my boot hasn't touched the road since I got back on. I just love it too much to give up.

Steam
29th November 2007, 19:02
Hmmm... yes, I went to the bike shop today and looked at the small trailies, something like a DR250 might be nice for a bit of offroad fun and commuting. Hell, why not a DRZ400 while I'm at it.
Just dreaming at this stage, maybe it will come to nothing, still...

It's like bikes are magnetic or something... I am pulled to them... such loverly big toys. Even if they do bite sometimes.

zeRax
29th November 2007, 19:19
havent bothered reading any other posts but yours, but dont give up, it could be that you've had these crashes, and may never have another, nobody really knows these things, it could happen, it might not.

keep riding, just make sure you always do your part to make sure its a safe ride,

:)!

LardEmbargo
29th November 2007, 19:57
dood! sorry to hear about your off, best wishes for mending. And sorry to hear you're feeling flat about it. Sounds like you shouldn't try and overanalyse it all - I guess ideally you'd want every crash (or near crash) to be a learning experience - like, ok so I'm never farking doing that again - but sometimes about as much as you can take away from things is that shit happens.

You've got some enforced time out while you're getting fixed up, see what you think when you're sorted out. No rush.

Ocean1
29th November 2007, 19:57
Hmmm... yes, I went to the bike shop today and looked at the small trailies, something like a DR250 might be nice for a bit of offroad fun and commuting. Hell, why not a DRZ400 while I'm at it.

It's like bikes are magnetic or something... I am pulled to them... such loverly big toys. Even if they do bite sometimes.

If you want to learn dirt fast get something 250 or less. I'd love to sell you my KLX but the big 4 strokes aren't good to learn on and they punish mistakes hard. KDX200 is a good bike, or an XR200, even a 125 is good. Get well healed first, broken clavicles aren't an uncommon dirt injury, usually caused not by a direct impact but from the compression load caused by a hands-out landing. You want it strong before you ride again because you're going to get minor offs occasionally.

Conquiztador
29th November 2007, 20:11
You want it strong before you ride again because you're going to get minor offs occasionally.

Broken collarbones become much stronger when they heal.

Jees you guys, he has not got this much symphaty since his mum dropped him head first on the floor!!

FFS harden up and stop this bull. We all know you are not gonna give it up. A man (even if young...) who builds Mad Max replicas outta SR 250's and had plans (or did you complete it??) to make a Barbie one (think pink with tazzles..) will never give biking up.

Steam, just come clean: You got the symphaty. It was nice and stroked your bruised ego. But now, time to move on.

And I will add here: Broken collarbones does not stop you from doing anything. Tape the shoulder stiff and you will be back in the seat tomorrow. (Trust me, been there...)

Steam
29th November 2007, 20:14
Ah yes, if only sympathy was cash, I'd have a couple of thousand bucks for sure. Pity me, PITY ME:2thumbsup::laugh::bleh:

The Pastor
29th November 2007, 20:18
dude, i think you must have sufferd some severe brain damage if you want to give up biking!

p/t

On a more serrious note, do what you want to do, and it might take a long time to figure it out.

Krusti
29th November 2007, 20:20
What about the poor little Postie bike. Must be thinking the same as you, not had much luck either.....:cool:

Ocean1
29th November 2007, 20:58
And I will add here: Broken collarbones does not stop you from doing anything. Tape the shoulder stiff and you will be back in the seat tomorrow. (Trust me, been there...)

Yea, good to ride, not to crash. :baby: I been there too. :p

Your're right though, usually heal clean.

car
30th November 2007, 08:25
Broken collarbones become much stronger when they heal.

Yeah, stronger bone maybe, but depending on how they heal, not a stronger shoulder. Mine was broken in four places, and it's now shorter than the other, the end slightly rotated. Consequently, my cervical vertebrae have been pulled out of place.

I mention it only because it's something to watch out for, and I'd recommend anyone with a bust clavicle getting to see a physio/ chiropractor/ osteopath once the bone's healed. Take care of it now, guard against future problems. I left mine until it was so bad that I barely turn my head and it took months (and $$$s) before it was "right" again. I was given the same advice immediately after I did mine, by another biker, and it's advice I wish I had taken.

I'm with you on the not stopping you doing anything, though -- once mine had started to callous up and it was basically in two pieces, I started riding again because sitting at home was driving me mental.

GaZBur
30th November 2007, 08:59

Mate - if you go for the 400 then you just got to mosey on out to the Silverstream Kart track in Mosgiel to check out the Buckets and Motards. I have had two friends come out to watch and guess what they did? Its a heap of fun, fantastic way to pick up skills and damned addictive. You wont regret it!

90s
30th November 2007, 12:09
Hey steam, whatever you decide hope we don't lose you from the site.
But let's face it - one rookie error. We have all had those. So forget that.

And one crash when frankly doing something hardcore and a bit stupid on an unsuitable machine without enough experience. But even experienced on some big paris-dakkar style special you chose to do a high-risk journey. Nothing to do with a bike specifically if you ask me.
I mountain bike a three weeks ago I was with a friend at woodhill that ended with him in an ambulance and his memory is still not back to normal now - and he'll never remember the days around the accident. You chose to take the risk - and so it goes.

Back to bikes - if you ride normal riding in 'normal risk' conditions in 20 years it is likely some accident will befall you. It is likely if you spend the time safely in a cage instead, someone will still rear-end you or t-bone you in that time too. In 1989 I was trashed by a car. Sometimes it happens. I was back on a bike as soon as I could, and I have always thought it was one of the best decisions I have ever made (I did freeze completely though first time I heard tyres squeel back out ... )
Although I have spent a lot of time of motorbikes from then to now, no other problems have come along. And it is the same for many long-term non-crazy people on the site, with a little luck (touch wood!).
Why you think you will continue to crash is the blues talking. Keep away from crazy paris-dakkar style riding and you'll be right.

vifferman
30th November 2007, 12:31
I dunno. :confused:
To some extent, the bike you ride is a reflection of something about you, but that's not what I meant. It's more that I ride A bike, and choose to do so even when a car is available and sometimes more practical.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
30th November 2007, 15:10
Agree with Mom.
You will ride again - only been two offs - just get well quickly.

shaneh
2nd December 2007, 07:13
....Recently I sold the 1100cc sports bike and now use a big chook chaser ...

Could someone please tell me what a big chook chaser is ?
My imagination is running wild with some very odd pictures in mind.

Skyryder
2nd December 2007, 08:49

I'd stick with your imagination: in all probability it's safer.

Skyryder

Ocean1
2nd December 2007, 20:14

I'd stick with your imagination: in all probability it's safer.

Skyryder

:laugh: Aw c'mon dude, can't have him suffering nightmares.

:hitcher: Derogatory reference to dirt bikes, particularly agricultural flavoured ones, but by implication trail bikes etc.

Blue Velvet
3rd December 2007, 09:28
I have had two crashes on motorcycles now, a year apart... I really love biking and bikes... My Mum reckons I should keep riding, she knows how much I love it, but I'm not so sure.

I agree with the others and your mum. Keep riding, but don't force it. Post-accident blues will make you question your ability and your confidence always suffers a major blow, but it sounds like you're doing the right stuff to minimise risk, e.g. gear etc.