PDA

View Full Version : Frame Sliders

SPman
28th October 2002, 16:58
Anyone know where/if you can buy these locally. Haldanes can get them made for $2-240, but are there any available out there?

Zed
15th September 2004, 14:27
Anyone know where/if you can buy these locally. Haldanes can get them made for $2-240, but are there any available out there?
Remember this thread SPman? :mellow:

I finally recieved my sliders today from Motorvation USA. Paid us$50 including freight. Now I feel rest assured that if my bike ever 'falls' over there will be minimal damaged done to my expensive plastics! Pics attached.

Btw, did you ever get some locally in the end SPman?

Cajun
15th September 2004, 14:49

SPMan for what model, f1 engering in hamilton make them for all sorts of bikes

jrandom
15th September 2004, 14:57
Haldanes can get them made for $2-240

Well, you know, I would have just bought the $2 ones.

vifferman
15th September 2004, 15:07
I finally recieved my sliders today from Motorvation USA. Now I feel rest assured that if my bike ever 'falls' over there will be minimal damaged done to my expensive plastics! That's interesting, Herr Doktor Zed. A guy at work has the same model (and colour - it must have been the soup du jour for CBR600RRRRRs) as yours, and I thought, "I don't think that's where his frame sliders are..?", so I went downstairs to look. His are in the middle of his fairings, about where the loop of the "R" is, which I'd imagine would protect more of the fairing in the event of an asphalt-surfing episode. I guess you didn't want to make a hole in your fairings to mount the frame-sliders to prevent a hole in your fairings?:wacko:

Posh Tourer :P
15th September 2004, 15:13
Well, you know, I would have just bought the $2 ones.

Why not just buy a warehouse skateboard? 4 frame sliders, plus you get some plywood for racing numberboards, and some trucks, for ummm... scrap metal?

Zed
15th September 2004, 15:24
Why not just buy a warehouse skateboard? 4 frame sliders, plus you get some plywood for racing numberboards, and some trucks, for ummm... scrap metal?
PT, how do you think a Chinese skateboard wheel handles 180kgs of weight falling directly on it, let alone sliding down the road holding the weight of the bike? Has KK done the tests? :killingme

You stick with your "warehouse special" and I'll go with the professionally proven method. :spudwave:

Zed
15th September 2004, 16:00
...I guess you didn't want to make a hole in your fairings to mount the frame-sliders to prevent a hole in your fairings?:wacko:Correct! I did buy a pair of frame-mount sliders thru eBay and when they arrived I decided against cutting holes in my fairing, so I sold those off privately and purchased a pair that bolt into the existing fairing holes. I know they are not as strong and well positioned as the frame-mounted bungs but they have been thoroughly tested by the manu and that is good enough for me. I don't intend on seeing them in "sliding" action anyways. :ride:

15th September 2004, 16:03
PT, how do you think a Chinese skateboard wheel handles 180kgs of weight falling directly on it, let alone sliding down the road holding the weight of the bike? Has KK done the tests? :killingme

You stick with your "warehouse special" and I'll go with the professionally proven method. :spudwave:

Well, if it is a choice of buying $2 frame sliders, or all the extra benefits of a warehouse skateboard for $10, including 4 sliders, I'd go for the skateboard myself....

vifferman
15th September 2004, 16:06
Correct! I did buy a pair of frame-mount sliders thru eBay and when they arrived I decided against cutting holes in my fairing, so I sold those off privately and purchased a pair that bolt into the existing fairing holes. I know they are not as strong and well positioned as the frame-mounted bungs but they have been thoroughly tested by the manu and that is good enough for me. I don't intend on seeing them in "sliding" action anyways. :ride: The "guy at work" has a CBR that has seen some sliding action (whether that was before or after he installed the sliders/crash bungs, I dunno). His bike has all the racing goodies on (shox, pipe, HRC ignition kit etc.) and he has spare race glass anyway. And seemingly beaucoup de l'argent, so he probably doesn't care.

:whocares: :wacko: :bye:

Zed
15th September 2004, 16:09
Well, if it is a choice of buying $2 frame sliders, or all the extra benefits of a warehouse skateboard for $10, including 4 sliders, I'd go for the skateboard myself....
I'm sure you didn't miss my point PT - skateboard wheels are not motorcycle frame sliders (despite KK using them as such)! Made for a different purpose you see. :bye:

Here is the spiel that came with mine: "MOTOVATION Frame Sliders are meticulously designed and manufactured to provide extra protection to your motorcycles’ bodywork. The frame slider material was chosen to best withstand impact and abrasion and the design allows impact forces to be transmitted to the stronger area of the frame instead of the vulnerable bodywork. Available in black only. "

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 16:13
Saw some in Peter Stevens shop in Melbourne, MCA (.com.au) might be somewhere else to try, but F1 engineering is a good lead someone suggested, I got some of his bars for my touring bike & they were very well made (if not hugely cheap a good buy never the less).

Main thing is where they are mounted. If they are on some daggy bracket then they will just bend out of the way & smash something. If they are on a flat section of an ally frame they could stove the frame side in, they really need to be on an engine mount or something. If they stick out too much they will just get ripped off.

vifferman
15th September 2004, 16:18
Main thing is where they are mounted. If they are on some daggy bracket then they will just bend out of the way & smash something. If they are on a flat section of an ally frame they could stove the frame side in, they really need to be on an engine mount or something. If they stick out too much they will just get ripped off.Indeed. I wonder whether sometimes the crash bungs cause more damage; fairings will tend to slide and absorb impact, whereas the bungs (even though they are slidey plastic) will tend to catch a little on things like kerbs, rough road surfaces, coarse chip gravel, m/bike carcasses, squished possums, chewing gum, etc. and cause the bike to do mental gymnastics and aerobatics.
Or summat.
Or maybe not.

Zed
15th September 2004, 16:22
...Main thing is where they are mounted. If they are on some daggy bracket then they will just bend out of the way & smash something. If they are on a flat section of an ally frame they could stove the frame side in, they really need to be on an engine mount or something. If they stick out too much they will just get ripped off.
This is precisely why sliders are made to specs to fit certain models of bikes. There is no such thing as "universal mount" sliders. And if you decided to fit them in a position on the bike that hasn't been tested and approved by the manufacturer you are just asking for trouble. :shit: :o :disapint:

Blakamin
15th September 2004, 16:25
Hmmmm.... skateboard wheels......

*rides to warehouse*

Zed
15th September 2004, 16:32
Hmmmm.... skateboard wheels......

*rides to warehouse*
"The Ware-house, The Ware-house
Where everyone gets ripped o-off"

Granted they have improved overs the years!

Go buy your skateboard BK and give us a full damage report when the "sliders" see some action! :thud:

Blakamin
15th September 2004, 16:34

Granted they have improved overs the years!

Go buy your skateboard BK and give us a full damage report when the "sliders" see some action! :thud:
They are never seeing action!

coz i dont have 10 bucks :bleh:

ooohh post 666 :headbang:

svs
15th September 2004, 16:44
I got frame sliders for the SV from TCM (http://www.tcmproducts.com) in the states. Really good and cheaper than F1 engineering. These have a bolt that goes right through the bike and a real solid. Cost US$90 + shipping

I also have a cheaper set which mount on the front cylinder bolts. Bought from the UK via ebay for ~NZ$45.

Sawyers in wlg quoted $190 for a set like the second ones here, which I thought was a bit much.

My advice is to search ebay if you trust it, or F1 engineering if you want quality NZ made stuff

White trash
15th September 2004, 16:48

....in three days. Whadafuck do ya think you're doin', takin' my highest user off me. :mad:

Joni
15th September 2004, 16:53

LOL - you love that jingle dont you - I remember you singing it just the other day!! :msn-wink:

Zed
15th September 2004, 16:59
LOL - you love that jingle dont you - I remember you singing it just the other day!! :msn-wink:
Yeah I still manage to scab a laugh or two from singing that jingle. :killingme

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 17:00
This is precisely why sliders are made to specs to fit certain models of bikes. There is no such thing as "universal mount" sliders. And if you decided to fit them in a position on the bike that hasn't been tested and approved by the manufacturer you are just asking for trouble. :shit: :o :disapint:

Tested by the manufacturers, you’d be lucky!! :killingme I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm but most aftermarket products are whipped up to produce profit as they think it looks like a good idea, despite what it says on your packet of magic bungs -they haven’t fitted it to your bike & ‘tested it’ any more than giving it a bit of a yank & squinting their eye “yeah that ‘orta be alright’

'That' gingle was written by the late Derek Archer of Pirate radio. Must have paid itself back a bit by now.

Mr Skid
15th September 2004, 17:01

:devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

Zed
15th September 2004, 17:11
Tested by the manufacturers, you’d be lucky!! :killingme I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm but most aftermarket products are whipped up to produce profit as they think it looks like a good idea, despite what it says on your packet of magic bungs -they haven’t fitted it to your bike & ‘tested it’ any more than giving it a bit of a yank & squinting their eye “yeah that ‘orta be alright’...
There is some truth to your statement but not with the sliders I purchased.
This is straight off the maufacturers website: "Take the time to browse the gallery. If you don't see the frame slider product you're looking for, it is most likely in the catalog and we don't have a picture of it yet. If it's not in the catalog...well we'll get round to making one when we can get our hands on a bike to test the product on." http://www.motovationusa.com/index.htm

So, you havn't "dampened my enthusiasm" one iota!

aff-man
15th September 2004, 17:17
Ok if you guys talking about crash bungs, Bough some off mt eden for $65 (no bolts or anything) Then went and spent $15(on the extreme outside) on bolts (the right gauge) washers and a brass sleeve for the bung. Still got some of the sleeve left. So all up just under $80 and i am away laughing. :blah:

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 17:25
[QUOTE=F5 Dave]. . . they haven’t fitted it to your bike & ‘tested it’ any more than giving it a bit of a yank & squinting their eye

“yeah that ‘orta be alright’
QUOTE]
Ohh, they're American, sorry, I'll translate that for'ya all

[opens beercan, high fives mate while looking at crashbung]" Shheeet Dude, that ain't goin' No-wear "

Yes they do do a fine line in marketing BS on the website:

"Our Frame Sliders are meticulously designed and manufactured to provide the optimal balance of extra protection for your motorcycle's bodywork while not transmitting etc etc"

They probably are ok, but I'm still going to rip on anything with that much dribble.

FROSTY
15th September 2004, 17:26
....in three days. Whadafuck do ya think you're doin', takin' my highest user off me. :mad:
And me as per usual ever competative chasing the trash man down
I worked bloody hard for my second place :mad:

Zed
15th September 2004, 17:40
...They probably are ok, but I'm still going to rip on anything with that much dribble.I'm sure if you took them to task with false advertising they would be able to prove it to you with one visit to their manufacturing plant. If I'm wrong then they are taking a huge legal gamble by lying to their customers!

F5, do you always have these doubts when it comes to aftermarket motorcycle parts? (Not that sliders can be considered "aftermarket" because they aren't OEM). Have you had some bad experiences with such parts that you wish to share with the group.

Zed

SPman
15th September 2004, 17:47
Bugger me, I'd forgotten about this query. YZF 750 - the engine mounts are rather close to the surface and can gouge in even a minor get off (as I have proven)
Played with the skate board wheel approach but they dont look particularly effective in this case, and Im to lazy to source the longer mounting bolts required.
Want a complete package for nothing, and I'm so lazy, I've done stuff all about it since that post!

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 17:52
I'm sure if you took them to task with false advertising they would be able to prove it to you with one visit to their manufacturing plant. If I'm wrong then they are taking a huge legal gamble by lying to their customers!

F5, do you always have these doubts when it comes to aftermarket motorcycle parts? (Not that sliders can be considered "aftermarket" because they aren't OEM). Have you had some bad experiences with such parts that you wish to share with the group.

Zed

To be honest I’m rarking you up ‘cause I’m in a playful mood & you seemed pretty sure you’d spent wisely, but also because I’ve seen the manufacturing industry (not ness mc) & many companies don’t do a lot of real testing.

Actually I do have a tale, more soon.

Yeah I didn't buy any for my SP for that reason.

aff-man
15th September 2004, 17:55
i know where to buy all sizes of bolts that have the right thread size.

Zed
15th September 2004, 17:57
To be honest I’m rarking you up ‘cause I’m in a playful mood...That's the 2nd time today I've taken a KB members post seriously in error?
Some of you guys need to use more smilies when you type!! :spudwhat: :spudbooge:spudwave:

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 18:08
in the old days bikes used to have exposed engine covers & aftermarket manufacturers made bars to protect them. My girl at the time bought some for her GS500 when they were new. These consisted of an unsupported plate that clamped onto the frame. To make it worse they were symmetrical & the RHS one stuck out a clear inch from the case.

We sent it back via the bike shop & they returned it saying nothing was wrong. I called the (think prominent NZ producer) & said I thought it would be better if the protector was not so far away from the case sticking out in the breeze where it was likely to get twisted out of the way, or just smack into the case as there was such a gap.

The guy went APE at me from what was a calm conversation. Saying “Are you calling me a Wanker?!

Eh? I never said that sez I calmly. “Are you calling me a Wanker?!” he sez

He was just trying to start a fight, he asked me if I had facts & figures on the type of forces produced, which of course I didn’t send it to DSIR or anything.

Oh yeah, & then this guy in his rage said he knew who I was & he’d send the boys around if there was any trouble. Sheesh! What a hot head! Consequently I’ve never bought any of their stuff again & the bike shop who she’d bought the bike from & the accessory hadn’t really stood up for us at all so they became low on our shopping destination priority.
Thanks Mike, good customer service if you are still there.

All I was after was an inch cut off one side & thought that by alerting them to the fact I was improving their product. I took it to a local motorcycle engineer who looked at it & said “man that’s crude” cut & welded it for $10 & we were happy. It still was a compromise but at least it didn’t catch her leg when her feet were down.

Gee, I guess it does feel good to share.

15th September 2004, 18:28
That's the 2nd time today I've taken a KB members post seriously in error?
Some of you guys need to use more smilies when you type!! :spudwhat: :spudbooge:spudwave:

Third?

I managed to sustain a serious conversation with you about using skateboard wheels as frame sliders!!!

Happy I was bored at work otherwise I mightnt have been able to come up with something quite so convincing.... :S

Smileys? You should know by now which of us like to have a good laugh and a bit of general silliness :D

aff-man
15th September 2004, 18:35
Actually PT you might have outsmarted yourself there. Skateboard wheeles (well not the warehouse ones anyway) could be used as crash bungs in a west auckland sence of the word (you out there KK :moon: ). I'd like to see what they wouls mount them on though, just imagining a long bolt sticking out with a skateboard wheel attached :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

Zed
15th September 2004, 18:56
...You should know by now which of us like to have a good laugh and a bit of general silliness :D
Should I now? :Pokey:

scroter
20th September 2004, 15:23
looking for GSXR600k3 frame sliders. prefably ones that you dont have to cut the fairing. it looks easy on one side but fairing in the way on other side. any tips?

Blakamin
20th September 2004, 15:39

I was away for the weekend and you still cant catch up????

gettin some work done??
:msn-wink:

gav
20th September 2004, 16:00
looking for GSXR600k3 frame sliders. prefably ones that you dont have to cut the fairing. it looks easy on one side but fairing in the way on other side. any tips?
umm, don't crash? :msn-wink:

scroter
28th September 2004, 15:28
umm, don't crash? :msn-wink:

good call Gav.

Grumpy
18th October 2004, 13:38
After reading Zeds recommenation I also ordered some MotovationUSA frame sliders for our Z1000's. I went through af1racing.com to get them.
Excellent service. 4 days from ordering them to unwrapping the parcel.
Excellent quality and I think a reasonable price.
:niceone: :niceone: