PDA

View Full Version : Where do you ride off-road in Auckland?

Biggles
30th October 2004, 19:56
Hi,
Can anyone help with advice to a newby to off road riding in Auckland and nearby areas - where do you go? Is there anywhere that you don't have to pay to go to?

Cheers

Firefight
31st October 2004, 05:44
Been covered before somewhere, but anyway, main places are

1) Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, free weekdays, Saturday/sunday & public holidays, NZ$ 20.00 per bike, $16.00 for Hondas, provides access to 1000 acres of sand based tracks, free break down servicewith 4x4 500cc Quad and medical care should you bump into our tress.Sand based.

2)Thunder Valley Bike park SHW 22, about 30 mins sou west of Tuakau.
750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,
was about NZ$20.00 per rider, (A) track not suitable for kids or newbies.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

4)Fletchers Arariumu, small private track, not bad, used to charge NZ$ 15.00

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)
used to be NZ$ 20.00, but have not ridden there this year.

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.

Hope that helps, there are a couple of others, but can,t remeber the details of them and have not riden them, will check it out and let you know.

There are also very good trail rides run BY Power Adventures all around north Island, they will be starting soon, will post something about them in off road section soon.

If you want more details, or info send me a pm.

F/F

Wellyman
31st October 2004, 07:26
Thanks FF.

I have been to kimmys farm which is a good track, Thundercross Valley which is cool when dry but horrible when wet and then there is good old Woodhill which i don't like at all.

Maybe go enter the saturday scambles. it is grass track racing on a natural terrain track and you don't need a race licence. GNCC also is cool and i do the series well some rounds and again no race licence needed and if you can trail ride you can race!

What bike do you have biggles?

Biggles
1st November 2004, 10:06
Thanks for the info, all sounds great, will try one this weekend. Bike is Honda CRF250X.
Cheers Biggles

Firefight
2nd November 2004, 04:35
Thanks for the info, all sounds great, will try one this weekend. Bike is Honda CRF250X.
Cheers Biggles

Nice bike, how long have you had it ?

F/F

Dr Bob
2nd November 2004, 09:52
I believe that most off roaders go to Remuera, Epsom, Parnell, and Ponsonby. These areas seem to have the highest incidence of 4 wheel drive vehicles so the roads must be really bad.

Biggles
4th November 2004, 08:49
Thanks Dr Bob, you're probably right hadn't thought of those areas....!

Only got the bike a week ago, so riding it in at present (only 25km's Honda said) so will be out this weekend for a decent ride on it.

Badcat
4th November 2004, 12:57
I believe that most off roaders go to Remuera, Epsom, Parnell, and Ponsonby. These areas seem to have the highest incidence of 4 wheel drive vehicles so the roads must be really bad.

they are certainly very dangerous parts of our roading system.
i'm constantly STUNNED by the amount of people (guess the sex %) who drive down these roads - WHILE LOOKING IN SHOP WINDOWS.
another fave of mine is the double parker - so many wankers - such stringent gun laws.
oh - and the syphilitic little douchebag in the audi that thought repeatedly "nudging" me from behind while i was waiting at the lights.
rest assured that he'll think twice before giving that one a go again....

K