Drum
30th November 2007, 10:55
Legend Bob!

Hitcher
30th November 2007, 12:18
Making the cut in the Nz open at 71
bloody amazing!

Is that his age or his score?

And he is still the only genuine left-handed golfer to win a major.

marioc
30th November 2007, 12:39
Thats his age and no.
Phil Mickelson and canadian Mike Wier have both since won major titles.
You are quite correct though he was for a long time the only left hander to win a major.

Hitcher
30th November 2007, 13:41
Press Release by Michael Hill New Zealand Open at 2:36 pm, 30 Nov 2007

Sir Bob Charles went back to his old faithful "Bullseye" putter and shot a masterful three-under par 68 in the second round of the Michael Hill New Zealand Open at the Hills near Queenstown today.

Taking only 25 putts compared with 31 for the first round, Charles' two round total of 143 was comfortably inside the cut, which is expected to be 144 or 145.

Charles round of 68 is believed to be a European tour record for a player of his vintage.

"Putting did it all today. I drove it well with the exception of No. 9 and hit almost every fairway. Today on the green I was making everything and beyond. Yesterday the longest putt I got was from six feet for par on the 18th.

"At this stage of my career I have two ambitions in a tournament - to make the cut and to shoot or better my age and I look as though I have done both."

Charles almost didn't make the start, heading to the first tee for the morning round and finding out he was off the 10th.

"We almost had to hold a shotgun at the head of the driver to take us directly to the tee. As is was we only made it by 30 seconds."

That didn't deter Charles as he birdied the 10th (his first) and followed with birdies at the 17th, 18th and an eagle at the par five first. "I hit a five wood to 20 feet and sunk the putt from just off the green."

Charles blighted his round with a double bogey 6 at the par four sixth when distracted by a 'low flying helicopter' but rallied with two birdies and a further bogey over the closing holes.

ENDS

Hitcher
30th November 2007, 13:42
Phil Mickelson and canadian Mike Wier have both since won major titles.

Unlike Messrs Mickelson and Weir, Sir Bob is a natural left-hander. The other two are righties who play golf left-handed. Hence the reason why I worded my earlier post the way I did.

marioc
30th November 2007, 13:51
Oh really didnt know that

PuppetMaster
30th November 2007, 15:00
Unlike Messrs Mickelson and Weir, Sir Bob is a natural left-hander. The other two are righties who play golf left-handed. Hence the reason why I worded my earlier post the way I did.

Just a little picky. Mike Weir must be the first right handed lefty ever to win a major.
Michael Campbell is still the only Maori to win the US Open.

ynot slow
30th November 2007, 20:06

I'm opposite write left handed,play golf, bat at cricket,use an axe,sledgehammer right handed.

Drum
30th November 2007, 22:49
Is that his age or his score?

And he is still the only genuine left-handed golfer to win a major.

His quote in the Dom today was that he aims to finish each round in a score less than his age. Only dropping a shot each year. What a bloody legend. Spot on Sir Bob.

Tonka
30th November 2007, 22:54
Sir Bob is a legend alright, they announced it on the news tonight that he is the oldest player to make the cut in a European PGA Tour event.:niceone: