PDA

View Full Version : School

Coyote
31st October 2004, 09:16
What do you do with your gear when you get to school on your bike? Do you have a tank bag or panniers to keep your leathers and helmet in? Do you just wear your school shoes or do you have some proper riding boots? Also, what do you do for security?

Posh Tourer :P
31st October 2004, 11:46
I would find a nice teacher and chuck it in their office.....
I wouldnt trust panniers and esp not tank bag. Personally, I wear normal shoes for going to Uni.... But I wouldnt like to recommend it... Ankles are complicated things to heal up

dhunt
31st October 2004, 12:00
I wear draggin jeans, leather jacket, gloves,helmet and riding boots to go to uni in. Jacket and helmet go in a locker at uni or if I'm running late cart them round with me. I use to wear steel cap boots but have given up on that after having a few problems resulting in sore ankles :Oops: Normally walk round in riding boots all day as quite comfirtable.

I try and push bike as much as possible though as almost as quick, gives me some exercise and saves my petrol for out of town riding == more fun.

Magua
31st October 2004, 13:10
Gear? Heh, I crashed after school minus gear and I'm still skimping on the gear. I know it's stupid but I've got a week of school left. Never had the space for the gear nor the time to get changed. I ride in boots, jeans, jumper, gloves and helmet but a big jacket has no place in my bag.

DarkNinja
31st October 2004, 13:33
i still wear a pair of formalish black polish boots, they are shit but i brought them after a small bin that landed on my ankle (OW!)
im actually in the market of looking for somthing a bit better for my feet.
but my gear is Jacket (Just new, Spyke) draggin jeans, the boots, touring gloves (nice n warm), and when i need to a wear a pair of cheap overpants to keep out the wetness, a little.
I carry my stuff around town, i wear my jacket coz its comfy and i cant leave stuff anywhere at the mo. generally i cant be effed changing, whats the point?
I was also gonna get a givi box to store my helmet for a while but theres no point for this bike, im gonna change to something bigger and better soon.
Just a bit off topic, i almost rode away this morning without a helmet! i cant understand what got into my head that i was suited up!

Stinger
31st October 2004, 13:39
Yeah, I have a box on the back on the back of the bike that I used to put the helmet in at Uni. The TZR has one of those little locking padlocky sort of things to attach your helmet to - But it makes the helmet hang against the exhaust, so it's of little use for that.

Ms Piggy
31st October 2004, 13:40
I wouldnt trust panniers and esp not tank bag.
Definitely. Or ask at the school office, the reception may be willing to hang onto them for ya. I wouldn't risk leaving it in panniers or a tank bag on your bike, very convinent for someone to remove quickly & go relatively unnoticed.

Cos I'm not usually at Uni for long periods I leave my trousers on and carry my helmet & jacket with me. I wear docs as riding boots (cos can't find a proper pair thet fit!) so I just keep them on.

Do you have school uniform or mufti?

Do you mean security for the bike or your gear? For my bike I have a steering lock & at home I have a BIG chain. For my gear - keep it on me.

Coyote
31st October 2004, 14:09
Do you have school uniform or mufti?
I have my stupid uniform, so any gear I use to ride in has to be locked away somewhere, plus wearing my boots all day will piss off the authorities. Plus the school rules that they regulary enforce state 'You must have a Black or Dark Blue Jacket' which is perfect for when I cycle to school cause whenever a cage knocks me over, the driver can say 'sorry, didn't see ya'.

As for security, I meant the gear and the bike. I doubt if I can convince a teacher to look after my gear, and the school lockers are really dogey. My friend Dan got his locker broken into by some smokers. All that was in there was his P.E gear, books and some rotten banana peals, but they still took the lot.

DarkNinja
31st October 2004, 16:10
As for security, I meant the gear and the bike. I
My principal was a downright bitch. she wouldnt let me park in the front of the school in a tiny little space that noone used. Mind you i never sucked up so thats why she didnt like me. Instead though i had to park up the back with all the try-hard boyracers. but it wasnt too bad, they didnt know what to do with it.. i guessing too scared to knock it over.... oh yeah and the flame throwers... :laugh:
Honestly now though, i use a mtb park and its swt as there.
And that crappy thing they call a helmet lock, jeepers it takes me about 15 minutes to get the helmet attached :S
DN

カワサキキド
31st October 2004, 19:55
I was also gonna get a givi box to store my helmet for a while but theres no point for this bike, im gonna change to something bigger and better soon.

There is a helmet lock on your bike, just below the seat lock, why don't you use that.

I use a bike lock to lock my helmet to my handle bars and leave it sitting in the fuel tank, it's fine even in the rain. I just wear my Jacket into lectures and keep my gloves in my back. I don't trust the Uni lockers.

dveus
31st October 2004, 19:55
well when i ride to "school" they sit on a shelf above the servers so they can remind me all day of what i would much rather be out doing.

カワサキキド
31st October 2004, 20:00

Thats the best idea!!! I wonder if my bike will fit in the elevator :yes: ??

Posh Tourer :P
31st October 2004, 20:07
Thats the best idea!!! I wonder if my bike will fit in the elevator :yes: ??

No worries - it'd count as 2 people - average weight I think is taken as 77kg? or 80-something... So you wouldnt overload the elevator either....

カワサキキド
31st October 2004, 20:08
Whats with the "Why did I buy a shit bike? " signature?
All it need is some bottom fairing and some paint.

or is there more to it?

カワサキキド
31st October 2004, 20:11
No worries - it'd count as 2 people - average weight I think is taken as 77kg? or 80-something... So you wouldnt overload the elevator either....

I wasn't worried about the weight, it only ways about 150kg with a full tank,
more the length....i'll bring my measuring tape tmrw...

Frankie
31st October 2004, 20:18
Whats with the "Why did I buy a shit bike? " signature?
All it need is some bottom fairing and some paint.

or is there more to it?

its an ok bike... however the seats are both torn and taped up... maing faring missing... some of the covers ie the gearbox cover thing is cracked and so is the one of the other side which i assume is the crankcase cover?

Exhaust fell off of it last week... mudguard cracked in half whick we fixed and repainted however does not fit that well...

its just tired but i still find it nice to :ride:

wari
31st October 2004, 20:19
WHen I hear the worde school ... it auto-mattically getts translated to wagg ... :doobey:

FUnny how the minde workes init ... :yeah:

I inno way add-vocate school ... I mean wagg ... :thud:

StoneChucker
31st October 2004, 20:31
When I was at school, only about a dozen people had motorbikes. I was sooo fricken jealous, all I wanted was my own bike. And, one or two even had electric start, and I was in fricken awe!

There was no way that A, my parents would let me have one, and B, I could afford to have one. Consider yourselves lucky ;)

Dave

PS: Aren't you allowed to wear certain items if it's part of your religion or customs? Surely you could just wear your gear and helmet all day, since biking is a culture all of it's own??! :)

カワサキキド
31st October 2004, 20:32
its an ok bike... however the seats are both torn and taped up... maing faring missing... some of the covers ie the gearbox cover thing is cracked and so is the one of the other side which i assume is the crankcase cover?

Exhaust fell off of it last week... mudguard cracked in half whick we fixed and repainted however does not fit that well...

its just tired but i still find it nice to :ride:

Sorry way :Offtopic: how many kms has it done ?

SuperDave
31st October 2004, 21:00
I usually ride to school with my bike jacket and a pair of jeans over my school pants/shorts. I just wear my school shoes. I take all the gear and the helmet and leave them at the gear drop of room at school, where they stay nice and safee till I go and pick them up at the end of school.

Good thing im in 7th form next year then I can wear mufti and just stay in my jeans all day with better shoes :)

The Pastor
31st October 2004, 21:56
I were my gear all the time at uni, including my helmet, when asked why I say im accident prone

Frankie
31st October 2004, 22:08
Sorry way :Offtopic: how many kms has it done ?
uuhmmmm from memory his bike has done just under 40K

Magua
1st November 2004, 14:48
Approaching 37000k. It has several flatspots and sucks through gas, the rear shock is shot. I think I can fix the gas problem but I need to get at the air filter first. I talked to a teacher at school today and got access for the automotive garage, so maybe sometime soon. Light swtich needs fidling with to get going, cracked speedo....shall I continue?

vifferman
1st November 2004, 15:34
Many, many centuries ago, when dinosaurs were still roaming the planet, I used to ride to school. I used to wear my school pants and shoes, and had to cart my leather jacket, helmet, scarf and gloves around. I don't remember it being too much of a hassle apart from a couple of kids hassling me (jealous?) and a schoolboy rugby player from Wales stealing my scarf. :Oi:

In the last year at school, I (and some other bikers in my class) used to leave our bikes in the backyard of a classmate who lived across the road from the school, so I left my gear there too. It was actually closer than the students' car / bike park, which was at the end of the entrance way, a considerable distance from the school proper (and no doubt a considerable security risk nowadays.)

Coyote
1st November 2004, 15:45
Aren't you allowed to wear certain items if it's part of your religion or customs? Surely you could just wear your gear and helmet all day, since biking is a culture all of it's own??! :)
That would be an idea. I should try that. I could threaten to headbut people with my helmet:lol: