PDA

View Full Version : Burgman trip to Haast

muzzap
1st December 2007, 21:13
Hi all
Thought these pics may be of interest. Took the Burg 650 for its first descent trip down the West Coast (starting in CHCH) overnighting in Fox Glacier, then back home via Haast Pass on day 2. Brilliant spring weather (mid Sept.) the whole way, though did collect my first ever speeding ticket in Hokitika:Oops:
Muzz

RedKLR650
1st December 2007, 23:07
Hi all
......... though did collect my first ever speeding ticket in Hokitika:Oops:
Muzz

Nice shots there Muzz, hope the fine wasn't too bad :spanking:

Cheers, Stu :rolleyes:

muzzap
2nd December 2007, 13:08
Only $80 (65 in a 50 zone) + demerits, so not too bad after 25yrs riding, and I thought the nice officer just wanted to have a chat about how cool my scooter was. Well, he did, but also had some opinions on road safety to offer. And he was the only policeman I saw the whole trip!

oldrider
2nd December 2007, 13:30
Those Bergman 650's are a real surprise packet!

What sort of speed did you cruise at?

(and)

What sort of fuel range did you get? :ride: Cheers John.

janno
2nd December 2007, 13:32
I had a look at one of those in Australia when it was parked nearby. Had a console like the Starship Enterprise!

Is it comfy for long distances? And do you wear leathers? I'd love to see that! Hope you had fun!!

muzzap
2nd December 2007, 19:03
I'm very happy with the Burgman so far, it's mainly used for commuting duties, but went better than I was expecting on the long trip- certainly a lot more comfortable than my previous 'bike (R1150R) over the same journey. The auto tranny makes the twisty bits a breeze, and acquitted itself well over the passes, espec. with 'power' mode selected; this bumps the revs up 1500 rpm for any given road speed. Manual 'gear' selection is also available, but I tend not to bother.
It only has a 15ltr tank, but gets 20-21 km/ltr, so around a 300km range, and I'm ready for a break at that point anyway. Creature comforts include elec. mirrors and screen, cushy seat, great weather (and sandfly) protection, and a cigarette lighter in the center glovebox. No ashtray, however. The convenience factor really sold me on it- just biff helmet and jacket under the seat and take the camera out for a stroll.
Top speed is 99.9 km/hr, Officer, though others seem t have coaxed a little more out of it (this speedo is in mph)...http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWueAVyfKTE
Yes, you do sacrifice some dignity, and as any retiring prostitute will tell you, you do initially miss having something between your thighs, but you get used to it.
Ride Safe
Muzz.

The Pastor
2nd December 2007, 20:52
i had a trip to hasst the other night, best 9.99 ive ever spent, you drink 8 of them and you can still ride home!

carver
2nd December 2007, 20:56
I had a look at one of those in Australia when it was parked nearby. Had a console like the Starship Enterprise!

Is it comfy for long distances? And do you wear leathers? I'd love to see that! Hope you had fun!!

comfy, quiet, practical, but slow for its size, and fucking boring!

oldrider
2nd December 2007, 22:30
The one I tried was dynamite away from the lights etc, very user friendly but used fuel like it was going out of fashion!

Maybe it was because I was gunning it everywhere I went, that it used so much fuel!

Thought about buying one so that MrsO could ride it, the last five bikes we have had have been too tall for her, so she hasn't ridden for a while now.

It's my opinion that people underestimate the 650 Bergman, until they actually try them! :yes: John.

insane1
3rd December 2007, 01:04
muzz where was the video done im asuming the states correct me if im wrong and yes people do under estimate them ridden hard there quick enough.

muzzap
3rd December 2007, 18:11
Black Hills, South Dakota. There is wealth of info on the 650 and 400 Burgmans in the forums at http://www.burgmanusa.com/

PrincessBandit
4th December 2007, 06:28
My husband is currently on his learners but the 650 Burg is his dream ride once he's on his full. He'd be very keen to hear how you are finding it and I'll direct him to the website you've mentioned above. We both sat on one at the shop where I bought my Bandit and he fell completely in love with it. Me, I couldn't even lift it off it's side stand! Ha ha.

muzzap
4th December 2007, 20:20
It's true, the Burgman is no light-weight race rep., but it does make for a very stable ride when you encounter cross-wind or truck turbulence. I tend to think of it as a mini-Goldwing. The CVT tranny provides agood deal of compression braking as you throttle off, so brake use becomes (almost) optional. Two full facehelmets fit easily in the illuminated boot, and the ABS brakes are nice to have. Iv;e not had a plilion prepared to be seen on it yet, but the seat looks akin to sittling on a small pony. Giddy-up!
Muzz.

Cheeky
7th December 2007, 10:35
My Wife and I have just got back from 28 days "doing" the South Island on our Burgman 650. We roamed from Farewell Spit to Bluff, doing the three passes and ran up over 6000 km. Added a little air three times and petrol more regularly. That was it.

Had soft bags, top box and under seat chocker.

If I were to replace this machine I would have another Burgman in a shot.

shafty
7th December 2007, 11:33
Well done Muzzap - sounds like a fun ride. Loved the video - 168km/hr is impressive from a scoot which offers so many other accroutrements!

shafty
7th December 2007, 11:33
My Wife and I have just got back from 28 days "doing" the South Island on our Burgman 650. We roamed from Farewell Spit to Bluff, doing the three passes and ran up over 6000 km. Added a little air three times and petrol more regularly. That was it.

Had soft bags, top box and under seat chocker.

If I were to replace this machine I would have another Burgman in a shot.

Good Stuff Cheeky - any pic's of the scoot loaded up? How did it handle the weight of pillion and gear? Cheers