PDA

View Full Version : Riding, Riding and More Riding

vifferman
1st November 2004, 09:38
Yesterday (that would be Sunday, for those of you who missed it) dawned sunny :sunny: and (initially cloudless), and Mrs FS said: "What a lovely day - do you want to go for a ride?"
:mellow: "Mmmm.... yeah, all right. Wotcha have in mind?"
"How about we go to Tauranga for the day, and visit Mum 'n' Dad?"
:mellow: "Mmmm.... yeah, all right."

So, after a hurried-ish breakfast, we shoehorned Mrs FS into her leathers and brand-new Diadora Race boots (which she was dying to try out), I adjusted the bouncy bits on the FahrtSturm (more air in the back black thing, some preload on the spring thing, and a half turn on the doodad), chucked some clothes in the backpack, and some squishy orange things in my ears (VERY squishy AND squelchy, after I quickly washed the earwax off them), and we Hit the Happy Trails before all the partygoers from the previous night groaned back into life. :spudwave:

Groovy. Not much traffic on the motorways yet, at NotQuiteNineOfTheAnteMeridian, so the boring slabby bit was not too painful, once I'd changed lanes to let the policeman past me. (No point in having a LawEnforcer in your blind spot, when you've no idea what the speed limit is for the current bit of PotholesTiedTogetherWithAsphalt, and you've no idea what velocity the SquigglyWhiteThingsOnTheDial represent anyway.:blink: )

At Bombay, I spied a coupla bikes just ahead, so I made haste to catch up to them, hoping they would be travelling at JustTheRightSpeed, which as it turned out, they seemed to be. I think. They also seemed to be travelling in the same direction, which was a bonus. At the turnoff to Ngatea, they went left, so I thought, "Right - the gorge it is!" By now, the weather was looking decidedly murky, and threateningly glowery, especially in the direction of ahead, so I was wondering whether I should suggest to the lady on the back if we should flag the trip, and head back to the sunny part of the country. The RedLightOfDoom declared we should pull in to the nearest purveyor of distilled dinosaur spooge, so we did. The two bikes ahead of us were obviously less thirsty or had bigger fuel reserves, as they'd stopped up the road aways for a conference. After filling up the tank, and emptying my wallet, we joined them for a conflab. Turned out it was a K100 and a GSX1400, two guys and their ladies.
"You from Auckland?"
"Yup."
"Where you headed?"
"Tauranga for the day."
"So are we!"
"Weather looks a bit dodgy up ahead."
"Yeah, that's what we thought."
"Mebbe it'll burn off the other side of the gorge."
"Let's give it a go."
"Righty-O!"

A few leagues (whatever the hell they are) further on, the murk revealed itself to be drizzle, light rain, and general dampness. Nothing too wetting, but not too nice either. The ride throught the gorge was pleasant-ish, as the RidersFromWaiuku were riding carefully, mindful of the inclement conditions, their valuable passengers and the 3-week old Suzuki. (They'd taken their VL in for an oil change, and ridden out on the GSX! :niceone: )

We stopped again in Waihi, where we rearranged clothes, filled the BMW, and I cleaned bugs off my visor. Another quick conference was held, which was probably decided by the sight of a party of various bikes zooming off in the other direction for some fun in the Karangahake Gorge. We would press on, hoping for the Sunny Bay Of Plenty to live up to its name.
Alas, it was dampish all the way to Te Puna, but at least it was only grey and cloudy after that. A brief stop at the Mount to bid our new-found friends adieu, swap cellphone numbers, tall stories and names, and we parted company.

So after an unhurried lunch at Mrs FS's parent's house at Papamoa, we once again donned the bike gear that had been drying in the wan sunshine on the FahrtSturm, and put our dampish bums on the uncomfortable seat for the return journey, this time over the Kaimais. As anticipated, it was raining before we got to Tauriko, so I pulled in to slake the beast's unquenchable thirst and to put my overpants on again.

The road over the Kaimais was a bit rutted in places, visibility wasn't great, so I travelled just fast enough to pass the few cars we saw. On the western side, it was raining a bit harder, but as expected it was dry before the bottom, and remained so most of the way home. We stopped again briefly at Patamahoe, when my knee and bum were screaming at me to end the torture, and again at Ararimu, after a great ride along the Hunuas, to visit with my sisters and terrify the spaniel sisters with our fearsome appearance and noisy transport. Another fuel stop at Ramarama, where Mrs FS said "Hi!" to an SP rider, admired his newish SP and matching clobber, while bemusedly declaring "There's nowhere for me to sit!", then we were off for a final stint of slab-riding.

A quick (and modest) celebratory wheelie into our street, and we were home again, just in time to prepare a steak dinner with a most drinkable pinot noir and collapse in the leather recliners for a chuckle or two at Jeremy Clarkson.

So, 500-odd kilometres, two hours in Papamoa, and 6 hours on the road.
A most excellent if somewhat tiring day.:done: :D :2thumbsup

Postscript: I solved The Mystery Of the Damp Posterior this morning while winding the preload back off. It appears the lack of a rear mudguard meant that water off the road was spraying up the back, under the pack, and running along the seat, where Mrs FS kindly sucked it up with her leathers:blink: so my arse could remain relatively dry. :whistle:
Justification for fitting a hugger, methinks....

manuboy
1st November 2004, 10:01
Sounds like you already have a "hugger" man - but a mud flappy wheel thingy would be useful? Aww cripes that was lame lame lame ... blame me still coming down from yesterdays ride... Sunday on a bike has made Monday at work all the more painful....

I headed out with Dangerous and Glen (dunno his tag here?) up to the infamous hilltop pub (akaroa)... awesome weather, every bike in Cantab was out... all waving like loons. Managed to leave my wallet behind. Spent most of the day trying to keep Mr Dangerous in view on his "FahrtSturm", but to no avail. There's what years of ridig experience gets ya......

Sadly enough (for him), he took my bike for a "Setup" check, and managed to pass two guys on FahrtSturm's... hahahahahaha.... go the zook! Interestingly, we did a 2nd gear roll on side by side and he definitely seemed to have the legs on me.... once my block free's up i should be able to rectify that tho! Can't be seen losing out to a honda....

I know almost all those roads you mentioned... can't wait to get up there myself. Although luckily you have a Misses who can go that far without getting "fidgety"... my girls knee starts giving it to her after only 1/2 hour. We're gonna try anti-inflams, after that i guess removing the leg might work....

vifferman
1st November 2004, 10:23
Sounds like you already have a "hugger" man - but a mud flappy wheel thingy would be useful? Aww cripes that was lame lame lame ... Actually, I did think the same thing (about the hugger, I mean, not that your comment was lame..:msn-wink: Having looked at huggers, I'm not sure they'll do the job, as they don't extend around the wheel very far. Perhaps I need to reinstall a mudguard/flappy thing...
So my 'hugger' kept the water off, without intending to, but I'd like to know if a proper hugger will keep the water off both of us.
Anyone with a hugger like to comment?

I know almost all those roads you mentioned... can't wait to get up there myself. Although luckily you have a Misses who can go that far without getting "fidgety"... my girls knee starts giving it to her after only 1/2 hour. We're gonna try anti-inflams, after that i guess removing the leg might work....Taking a leaf out of my US friends' book, I was going to take some anti-inflammatories before the ride, but becasue it rained I probably wouldn't have burst into flames anyway...:sly:
Actually, I took a couple of aspirins before I left, as I think my liver's a bit shot so the other droogs in my home pharmacoepia would've been a bit harsh. albeit more effective. I think it helped, so I took some paracetamol at the in-law's (they don't have aspirin), which didn't seem to help. So we decided that we need more breaks when riding, less riding in one day, a more comfy bike, or all of the above. I need to do something, as the discomfort means I'm currently enjoying the rides less than Mrs FS is. :blank:

scroter
1st November 2004, 10:26
as a sunny bay of plenty resident i have no idea what your talking about. woke up. me and stevezx6r got on bikes and headed down the east coast to tekaha , bloody beaut roads, bloody beaut sunshine. Met up with a few blokes from tauranga at Te K pub and decided to show them the way to waihau bay where those buggers at the pub were in the middle of renovations so not serving anything, lucky it was a damn good ride, so back to Te K for an ale. Me and Steve left them to it and headed on home to whakatane. topped up at Opotiki where for the first time in history my bike took $22+ gas. not a drop of rain all day, in fact mate got sunburnt painting the house.

manuboy
1st November 2004, 10:32
Well, since this is our own thread, and just between you 'n me.... swap partners???? Seems a shame to that both pairs have a lame duck on board... (especially the pair where the lame duck is closer to the throttle / breake!!) :shit:

Mine is quite tidy... low km's, great cook and very good with a vacuum and other "cleany stuff". I've even trained her not to moan about me sitting on the XBox playing motogp2 all night after work... she's a bargain! :bs:

As you can tell i'm 95% sure she can't access this from work....

vifferman
1st November 2004, 10:37
as a sunny bay of plenty resident i have no idea what your talking about. woke up. me and stevezx6r got on bikes and headed down the east coast to tekaha , bloody beaut roads, bloody beaut sunshine. Well, it was just raining on or around the Kaimai Ranges. It was fine but a bit overcast in Tauranga, but there was low cloud/drizzle all the way along the ranges and through the Karangahake Gorge. East or west of the ranges it was OK.

By the way - how kewl is it that you can head out for a ride, and make new friends on the way? :yes:

That sort of thing just about never happens in the car.

NC
1st November 2004, 10:56
When your coming through the Karangaheke gorge you can take the Old Tauranga RD (it's on the right-hand-side, head up past the falls) it's faster cause you by-pass Waihi ( I hate that town) and to can travel a little faster cause there are no polica around...
You come out just before the Waihi Beach turn off, about 30 mins out of Kati Kati...( I think it's 30 mins?)

Cajun
1st November 2004, 11:05
Well, it was just raining on or around the Kaimai Ranges. It was fine but a bit overcast in Tauranga, but there was low cloud/drizzle all the way along the ranges and through the Karangahake Gorge. East or west of the ranges it was OK.

By the way - how kewl is it that you can head out for a ride, and make new friends on the way? :yes:

That sort of thing just about never happens in the car.

Great on ya firestorm next time ya down this way drop me a line, i can travel with ya somewhere, and wife can show you her vtr1000f dc:<

Pretty much no motorcycling for me all weekend )c:< apart from riding bike home from father in laws workshop, rear felt funny got back to house at papoma and rear tire only has 13psi in it, damn thing got a puncture, since i have only done 1000kms i am getting it looked at so it can be repaired. Since i am off to dorkland again tomorrow

2_SL0
1st November 2004, 11:11
Sounds like a excellent ride was had. :ride:

manuboy
1st November 2004, 11:23
When your coming through the Karangaheke gorge you can take the Old Tauranga RD (it's on the right-hand-side, head up past the falls) it's faster cause you by-pass Waihi ( I hate that town) and to can travel a little faster cause there are no polica around...
You come out just before the Waihi Beach turn off, about 30 mins out of Kati Kati...( I think it's 30 mins?)

i'll never forget that road, it's where my cat decided to claw mums head and then spew all over the passenger foot well after we decided it would be easier to bring it on holiday than put it in a cattery. Hamilton to Kaitkati with a mewling car sick cat...mmmmmmmm....

Which is also why taking my little pusspuss pillion has always been outta the question even though he sleeps on the seat. that and the fact he'd never reach the footpegs and he'd struggle to use the grab rail..

anyway, sorry, back to the thread..... :bye:

vifferman
1st November 2004, 12:22
Great on ya firestorm next time ya down this way drop me a line, i can travel with ya somewhere, and wife can show you her vtr1000f I actually thought of contacting you, Cajun, and was going to get on the in-law's PC to see if you were on line, but as we were there only 2 hours, there wasn't time for anything apart from lunch and trying to dry out the leathers a bit.

You come out just before the Waihi Beach turn off, about 30 mins out of Kati Kati...( I think it's 30 mins?)Yeah, that'd be about right.
I know of the road, but I've never taken it. Anyway, as we were with these other guys, we just followed each other.

Man, I wish I'd stayed home today. I'm too tired to work, the work's so boring, and there's stuff I need to do at home. Like wash the road spooge of the FahrtSturm, and watch the MotoGP tape. And have a snooze. And try and sort out how to keep the road spooge and water off the back seat (apart from only riding in the dry...)

Posh Tourer :P
1st November 2004, 12:49
So we decided that we need more breaks when riding, less riding in one day, a more comfy bike, or all of the above. I need to do something, as the discomfort means I'm currently enjoying the rides less than Mrs FS is. :blank:

You know what you need?

a BMW...... :yes:

Joni
1st November 2004, 12:51
You know what you need?

a BMW...... :yes:

:doh: :lol:

MikeL
1st November 2004, 13:03
Rode down to the Mount the previous weekend and then on Labour Day went to Whakatane. Coming back I decided to do the Kaimais - thought I could get across before the heavens opened. Big mistake. I discovered that there's nowhere to pull off the road and find any sort of shelter while you put on the plastic pants that you should have put on beforehand...
Found a side road towards the summit, struggled to put the pants on, then 5 minutes later the rain stopped. The rest of the ride would have been great if it hadn't been for all the Labour Day traffic returning to Auckland.
Next time I might try the old Tauranga Road. The Karangahape Gorge is fun but not if it's wet and full of holiday traffic.

Cajun
1st November 2004, 13:14
I actually thought of contacting you, Cajun, and was going to get on the in-law's PC to see if you were on line, but as we were there only 2 hours, there wasn't time for anything apart from lunch and trying to dry out the leathers a bit.

Nah i not really on during weekends, house i am looking after has crap net connection

Cajun
1st November 2004, 13:15
Rode down to the Mount the previous weekend and then on Labour Day went to Whakatane. Coming back I decided to do the Kaimais - thought I could get across before the heavens opened. Big mistake. I discovered that there's nowhere to pull off the road and find any sort of shelter while you put on the plastic pants that you should have put on beforehand...
Found a side road towards the summit, struggled to put the pants on, then 5 minutes later the rain stopped. The rest of the ride would have been great if it hadn't been for all the Labour Day traffic returning to Auckland.
Next time I might try the old Tauranga Road. The Karangahape Gorge is fun but not if it's wet and full of holiday traffic.

The kiamais is one of my fav bits of roads, its often damp up there just keep going ya decide to stop and pull over and put wet weather gear on if you get to top and its looks shit in the wakaito area

NC
1st November 2004, 13:22
The kiamais is one of my fav bits of roads, its often damp up there just keep going ya decide to stop and pull over and put wet weather gear on if you get to top and its looks shit in the wakaito area
Hafta go for a ride before I leave dude....

Joni
1st November 2004, 13:26
Hafta go for a ride before I leave dude....

Maybe all meet up for a drink somewhere, when Im down there the weekend?

NC
1st November 2004, 13:30

Oh hell yeah! On Saturnday! :D

Cajun
1st November 2004, 13:31

Sweet as could do Joni

NC30 - how long you back in town for??
Also keep and ear out if you know anyone who wants to find a flat i be needing to find a flatmate out welcome bay way.

vifferman
1st November 2004, 13:33
Next time I might try the old Tauranga Road. The Karangahape Gorge is fun but not if it's wet and full of holiday traffic.You realise, Mike, that the Old Tauranga Rd only cuts out the bit between the gorge and somewhere past the Waihi Beach turnoff (i.e., Waihi, and a bit of road either side of it)?

The kiamais is one of my fav bits of roads, its often damp up there just keep going ya decide to stop and pull over and put wet weather gear on if you get to top and its looks shit in the wakaito areaYeah, mine too. If it hadn't been for the weather, I think doing the trip the other way around would've been better, as I like going over the Kaimais from the west to east the most.

You know what you need? a BMW...... Yeah, I've considered it. I would be on another VFR, but the one I'd lined up was "boring looking" (Mrs FS). She liked the K100 because "it's the same colour as my car". :laugh:
I dunno... I like the FahrtSturm, as unlike most BMWs, it can easily loft the front wheel, and it's light and flickable. And easy(ish) to work on. Mrs FS prefers the seating position to that of the VFR750 I had, but the VFR had slightly better ergonomics for me. The cheapest option may be to get the seat reupholstered and fit some sort of mudguard and/or hugger. And a new helmet for Mrs FS, and new gloves for me.
But then again, Mrs FS is just starting to get 'into' bikes at a time when I'm starting to think for the first time about getting out. :blink: Bad timing...

Joni
1st November 2004, 13:37
Oh hell yeah! On Saturnday! :D

Yeah we do a Tauranga area says "good bye to NC30" drinks... :msn-wink:

Cajun, you gotta come, bring the Mrs too...

who else is in that area?

:beer:

NC
1st November 2004, 13:44
Sweet as could do Joni

NC30 - how long you back in town for??
Also keep and ear out if you know anyone who wants to find a flat i be needing to find a flatmate out welcome bay way.

Just for 3 weeks...
I move on the 20th might leave on the 18th or 19th though.. dunno
Gotta find a cheap moving company (:killingme)
This weekend coming is the only one I have free left...

Joni
1st November 2004, 13:47
Sorry Firestormer blatant thread hijack here.... :Oops:

Cajun
1st November 2004, 13:51
Yeah we do a Tauranga area says "good bye to NC30" drinks... :msn-wink:

Cajun, you gotta come, bring the Mrs too...

who else is in that area?

:beer:

there is a new member ajturbo and what? and other ones are madandy and sazuki which those two not been around for a while.

Sweet as

NC
1st November 2004, 13:53
Sorry Firestormer blatant thread hijack here.... :Oops:

My bad too :doh:

vifferman
1st November 2004, 14:05
Sorry Firestormer blatant thread hijack here.... :Oops:One of the endearing things about forums that aren't religiously policed. :2thumbsup

Sooner or later, every KB forum seems to end up talking about beer.

Thread hijack's OK, as long as someone can tell me about huggers, mudguards and stopping Mrs FS from getting wet pants. :yes:
At the moment, I'm thinking about buying an old mudguard from a wrecker, or from someone who's amputated theirs, and grafting it onto the FahrtSturm behind the number plate.
Either that, or having a mudflap fabricated from carbon fibre.
I suspect (but don't have any empirical data) that a hugger will keep my boots/shock/chain cleaner, but not stop water rooster-tailing up the back...

Cajun
1st November 2004, 14:20
One of the endearing things about forums that aren't religiously policed. :2thumbsup

Sooner or later, every KB forum seems to end up talking about beer.

Thread hijack's OK, as long as someone can tell me about huggers, mudguards and stopping Mrs FS from getting wet pants. :yes:
At the moment, I'm thinking about buying an old mudguard from a wrecker, or from someone who's amputated theirs, and grafting it onto the FahrtSturm behind the number plate.
Either that, or having a mudflap fabricated from carbon fibre.
I suspect (but don't have any empirical data) that a hugger will keep my boots/shock/chain cleaner, but not stop water rooster-tailing up the back...

nah hugger won't stop water rooster up, you need the tail flap to stop that.
I am sure you be able to find one off a wreaked fahrtsturm somewhere