PDA

View Full Version : Completely bloody bonkers

Coldkiwi
4th August 2003, 13:29
No, not a thread about KK or his 'bikes' (a term I use loosely!) :P

Instead, how about Shaun Harris on that article of TV3 last night!?!?? He claims he's won the Isle of Man TT  twice (after 10 attempts) because he rides carefully and doesn't go as fast as possible because he knows he wouldn't survive...

Did anyone see the onboard footage of Harris riding drafting off a bloke doing over 200kph down a narrow country road with NO run off areas (heavily wooded) either side on a long long road course you'd have real trouble memorising?

That is freakin NUTS! makes track riding look like a carefully planned and cushion padded cakewalk! That even makes side car drivers/swingers look sane!

bluninja
4th August 2003, 13:45
CK, I've seen a few years of footage and it's always awesome. Another rider (Whitham) was interviewed and said when you get onto the mountains everything becomes a green and grey blur, the trick is to stay on the grey blur.

TTFN

Dave
4th August 2003, 13:53
Awesome-I wanna have a go.

wari
4th August 2003, 14:55
arse !!! ... missed it ... dont suppose anyone got it on tape

bikerboy
4th August 2003, 18:04
I thought this was going to be about Kk and his socalled bikes.
:(

It looked fantastic, now I'm keen to have a go at the next track day.:eek:
To be able to ride half as good as that would be awesome.

wkid_one
4th August 2003, 18:16
Would love to give it a crack......you seen the onboard lap with David Jefferies from 2002 - now that is footage......

Nothing like taking four corners over 1.5km as one big corner coz you are travelling at warp speed ten (I'm giving her all she got captain)...

Kwaka-Kid
4th August 2003, 19:38
do you know what i want to see?

him do all that on one of my bikes! with a wobbly handle bar, stiff rear suspension, rim protectors in place of tyres, aswell as the famous smoke puffing KK engine!

then, and only then will i be impressed..

:p   nah, that dudes the man!

Marmoot
4th August 2003, 22:40
Awesome, I wanna have a go!

SPman
5th August 2003, 00:13
The one with Shaun on the GSXR in the rain is f**kin scary!True he was going slower than in the dry, ie warp speed 7 complete with lots of wheelspin etc and F all visibility:eek:

Anyone who races there has my utmost respect!:niceone:

What?
5th August 2003, 10:51
Originally posted by SPman

Yep.

The late, great Joey Dunlop always reckoned that circuit riders were mad - because they raced at 11/10ths, whereas road racers such as himself only rode at 9/10ths.:eek:

Hitcher
7th January 2004, 09:50
The on-bike camera footage, particularly through the town, has me on the edge of my seat. I didn't realise you could lean a bike over so far so fast. The Superbike guys have an advantage with tracks that if not having a bit of camber to help on most corners, at least get a smooth surface. The one or both wheels off the ground over blind crests, no kitty litter, cobbled streets, etc makes this one special event. OSH would ban it here...
:whistle:

Motu
7th January 2004, 11:14
In the video games room at Henderson Square,or what ever they call it now,was a bike machine - you sat on the bike and rode the Isle of Man...what's the betting some 10yr old kid with baggy pants and huge sneakers has set the best time.

wkid_one
7th January 2004, 12:57
Many of the Manufacturers etc banned there riders from racing at the TT for the very reason that accidents were too easy and the uncontrolled variables.

Not very often a race track has rail way tracks that cross it, curbs, cobbles, severe jumps, bridges etc etc. Lovely to watch - esp with the Kiwis doing very well on the track year on year.

Pity that it has seen the demise of some the greatest biking names - esp Dave Jefferies. Seeing the onboard lap with him was absolutely superb.......

However with the more and more powerful bikes coming out - this track is likely to become less and less rideable.

Nouseforaname
7th January 2004, 16:00
Agh and im going to be in the UK next year, ill diffinitly be heading along to witness it first hand...... cant wait :bleh:

Ogri
7th January 2004, 16:26
Agh and im going to be in the UK next year, ill diffinitly be heading along to witness it first hand...... cant wait :bleh:

Nouse -

Make sure you book your ticket with the Steam Packet Co (ferry) well in advance. I've been there every year from 1979 until we came out here in 2002 and we had to book for the following year as we were leaving the Island in the current year (if you see what I mean!).

Anybody that fancies a trip down here - hey, we could even rustle up a few charcoal offerings - I've got heaps of tapes and pics from the IOM. My great mate Steve Hislop (Hizzy) was almost as good as Joey (yer maun) and he wasted himself in his chopper a few months ago - so it just goes to show, doesn't it!!!

boris
7th January 2004, 17:36
they used to have a joey dunlop lap ,on a 125,on one of those vurtial ride things, a big white box thing that you sat in,there was one in taupo next to cob and co. it showed how nuts you had to be.

LB
7th January 2004, 17:55
they used to have a joey dunlop lap ,on a 125,on one of those vurtial ride things, a big white box thing that you sat in,there was one in taupo next to cob and co. it showed how nuts you had to be.

Yeah, I've done that one. It's very very realistic, you really feel like you've been on a (very very fast!) bike when you stagger down the steps afterwards!!

Kickaha
7th January 2004, 21:01

yeah did that one to,If I had the option I would have a bash at that track,of course it would have to be on a sidecar not one of those two wheeled death traps lol

BlueR1
7th January 2004, 21:40
Pretty amazing track that commands respect from those who do well there, I have got the 2002 TT review DVD with a full on board lap of dave Jefferies I have seen it a dozen times and it still amazes me everytime I watch it. I got it through amazon and it was worth every dollar, as DJ says in the DVD its the kind of race you want to win at as slow a possible speed you can.

Coldkiwi
8th January 2004, 09:14
...even though people like Ronnie Smith and Co. are AVERAGING 122mph round there (make that 117mph with a pit stop for new tyres/fuel etc.)

good lord!

LB
8th January 2004, 09:32
...even though people like Ronnie Smith and Co. are AVERAGING 122mph round there (make that 117mph with a pit stop for new tyres/fuel etc.)

good lord!

Isn't Ronnie Smith the guy from "Perforamnce Bikes" magazine who died recently?

georgedubyabush
8th January 2004, 10:51
Pretty amazing track that commands respect from those who do well there, I have got the 2002 TT review DVD with a full on board lap of dave Jefferies I have seen it a dozen times and it still amazes me everytime I watch it. I got it through amazon and it was worth every dollar, as DJ says in the DVD its the kind of race you want to win at as slow a possible speed you can.

I'll have to borrow that off of you if that's ok?
My bike is ready and just needs picking up.
Should be able to get a bit of time off this weekend if you are keen for a ride. will pm.

BlueR1
8th January 2004, 12:03
I'll have to borrow that off of you if that's ok?
My bike is ready and just needs picking up.
Should be able to get a bit of time off this weekend if you are keen for a ride. will pm.

Ok mate, no worries its a awesum DVD, good to hear the bike is ready, what was wrong with it, was it the cam chain tensioner as expected? This weekend sounds good, I heard a rumour that moto one in Kerikeri are getting a few guys together for a blast ... keep in touch.

Coldkiwi
8th January 2004, 13:10
Isn't Ronnie Smith the guy from "Perforamnce Bikes" magazine who died recently?

yup. Don't know exactly how he died but I think it was a pretty unspectacular accident near his home on his scooter last Jan. much admired and respected by all it seems. he's the guy whos responsible for wheeling that full laden goldwing that people may have seen photos of.

BlueR1
8th January 2004, 13:24
yup. Don't know exactly how he died but I think it was a pretty unspectacular accident near his home on his scooter last Jan. much admired and respected by all it seems. he's the guy whos responsible for wheeling that full laden goldwing that people may have seen photos of.

Correct he died riding his scooter not far from his home, seems kinda ironic that he shud die doing that after all his other life experinces including the Isle of man TT! Ronnie R.I.P

Big Dog
8th January 2004, 13:42
Nah just the ones who survive. Any one can have a go. any one can go fast but it takes true skill to do so with out killing yourself or someone else.

Unless all you admire is having balls bigger than his brain.

georgedubyabush
8th January 2004, 20:13
Ok mate, no worries its a awesum DVD, good to hear the bike is ready, what was wrong with it, was it the cam chain tensioner as expected? This weekend sounds good, I heard a rumour that moto one in Kerikeri are getting a few guys together for a blast ... keep in touch.

Good as new. Cam chain tensioner slackening itself right off. Mech said pretty much all the kawas do it, even the farm quads. $50 for parts and labour and he machined up a manual one. My cheapest bike shop experience ever.

Ive heard that wheelied goldwing had it's panniers full of bricks :msn-wink:

Nouseforaname
8th January 2004, 20:23
Nouse -

Make sure you book your ticket with the Steam Packet Co (ferry) well in advance. I've been there every year from 1979 until we came out here in 2002 and we had to book for the following year as we were leaving the Island in the current year (if you see what I mean!).

Anybody that fancies a trip down here - hey, we could even rustle up a few charcoal offerings - I've got heaps of tapes and pics from the IOM. My great mate Steve Hislop (Hizzy) was almost as good as Joey (yer maun) and he wasted himself in his chopper a few months ago - so it just goes to show, doesn't it!!!

hey thanks for the advice.... ill be sure to do that :-)

FROSTY
14th May 2004, 12:30
Everyone has something they wanna do --like their dream-- Mine has been for like 20 years to race the isle of man--hey not expecting to win anything--just enter and get round the "track"
A good mate of mine went over to watch and ended up "racing" on mad sunday -thats when road riders get to sorta strut their stuff on sections of the track -He r4eckons ya gotta be a certified nuter to want to race there :doctor:

Sensei
25th January 2005, 21:43
Yea the 02 Dave J's lap is top of the line can see how so many rider's bin themselves there ,most of them during practise week . Have 96 tape with
Shaun Harris on the Britten & Joy Dunlop on an RC45 great veiwing . 04 DVD just the same .Had a piece on DVD were Colin Edwards said he would never race there , not his thing at all.
SENSEI

TwoSeven
26th January 2005, 01:02
I'd say that track racing is harder to do than road racing - if you are trying to get that last bit of performance out of the bike. In fact, to go quick on a track you have to be able to go beyond the capabilities of the bike to hit that last little 1%. You cant do that in road racing, there is simply too much that you cant do.

Thats not to mistake performance with danger. Yeah IOM is more dangerous than most if something goes wrong, but that doesnt make it difficult.

Track riders at the professional level have a budget designed to cater for them falling off quite a lot as they hit the limits of the machine and go beyond - street racing is pegged way back in performance simply because they have to reduce the risk.

Still i've always found street racing more exciting that circuit racing because it requires a slightly different set of skills.

Juan
26th January 2005, 10:58
:lol: :bleh: :bleh:

:whistle: :whistle:

Can't go for a lap just now, icy on the mountain!!!

:soon: tho...... :banana:

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 02:41
Nothing better than sitting in the fount of the telly on a shitty day and watching some good racing. :niceone:

Brian d marge
20th May 2005, 03:27
yeah did that one to,If I had the option I would have a bash at that track,of course it would have to be on a sidecar not one of those two wheeled death traps lol

Those side cars down bray hill are ..not quite all upstairs ...the lunch has been packed but a sandwich has been left out ....

The bumps down bray hill make the side cars turn almost 30 deg ( poss more ) to the direction of travel /...AND they are taking up 1/2 the road ....so theres even less run off

Sitting at the entrance to bray hill with a pint in me hand ,,whating the bike brake hard for the turn ,,was a very nice way to spend ones time

( mind you there was those two dirty young women , my mate and I manage to co oerce in ramsey :msn-wink:

if you have the chance do it before they say its not health wise.....

Stephen :ride:

speedpro
20th May 2005, 08:17
I saw some motor-drive photos of the Lawrence brothers crash on their sidecar at the IOM, the one where it was broken into little pieces. A normal person would take up knitting after that and then only with particularly blunt needles.

The last I saw of both of them they had the sidecar all fixed, they were still limping really badly etc, the surgery was scheduled, and they were booked to go back.

Really nice guys, but you have to wonder.

Ghost Lemur
20th May 2005, 10:08
:lol: :bleh: :bleh:

:whistle: :whistle:

Can't go for a lap just now, icy on the mountain!!!

:soon: tho...... :banana:

That's it rub it in...

Now if they'd move the island to somewhere warmer I'd move there in a flash.

gav
20th May 2005, 18:46
Stop dragging up these old threads FFS!!!! grrrrr
Oh what the hell, this is on now http://www.northwest200.fm/

Kickaha
20th May 2005, 23:07
I saw some motor-drive photos of the Lawrence brothers crash on their sidecar at the IOM, the one where it was broken into little pieces. A normal person would take up knitting after that and then only with particularly blunt needles.

The last I saw of both of them they had the sidecar all fixed, they were still limping really badly etc, the surgery was scheduled, and they were booked to go back.

Really nice guys, but you have to wonder.

Talked to them at the nationals they said they were flat in top just before the accident approx 140mph,slowed slightly for a series of corners and felt the bike get a bit loose and then it was all over,only took just over 5 mins for a helicopter with paramedics to get to the scene

The police wouldn't release the outfit to their crew as they were convinced it had been a fatal and it's the same bike they are now racing back here,errrr although they did say they had to get it straightened a bit :niceone:

VasalineWarrior
23rd October 2005, 18:02
How much does it cost to get over there? Wanna go (looks like the bikers mecca :not: ) but gotta rob a bank

T.W.R
23rd October 2005, 19:19
you should see mad sunday ( where the spectators have a blast around there) the mental fuckers try to replicate the race DUH!.
at least the racers know what their doing! ( apart from the dude in the early 80's who hit a horse at the crook at 140mph+ , cut the horse in half ouch!, well it wasn't his fault really, the horse wondered on to the track)
plus if you ever get the chance source the documentary on joey dunlop, Fuck where he raced in ireland was a goat track compared to the IOM circuit !
locally if you ever get down chch way have a hard fang around the summit rd that will put the willies up you :headbang:
awesome spot for scrubbin new tyres in :niceone:

and just think the IOM might be all over in 2007 ( fuck it!)