View Full Version : Subaru Sportsbike!

deanohit
6th December 2007, 14:31
Can you believe Subaru are going to be making a 500cc single sportsbike::sick:

Subaru Sportsbike

By Ben Purvis

New bikes

18 November 2007 15:00

This new single-cylinder sportsbike features a Subaru-badged engine and could be on sale next year at a bargain price.

The engine for the HS500sa comes directly from Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. It’s a 499cc, water-cooled, DOHC single, originally developed to be used in quad bikes and used by Polaris. The motor is notable for its lightweight design – it tips the scales at 43kg – and its ability to meet American and European emissions restrictions, a vital part of Sasaki’s plan as he intends to sell the machine worldwide.

With 50bhp at 8000rpm, the motor is on a par with engines from more familiar manufacturers, and its 33lbft of torque, peaking at 7000rpm, should be enough to give the lightweight HS500sa decent acceleration.

The bike’s chassis is built in China to keep costs down. Like most of the latest Japanese sportsbikes, it’s made from cast aluminium – although the hefty-looking frame rails look over-engineered for a 50bhp single. The swingarm is also cast aluminium, and heavily braced – giving the look of a much more powerful bike.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/November/november12-18/nov1807subarusportsbike/?&R=EPI-97081

jrandom
6th December 2007, 14:34
:sick:

Oh, well, at least we know that none of the information is speculation or downright fabrication. Thank goodness for trustworthy ol' MCN!

Subike
6th December 2007, 14:48
will have to definatly take one for a test ride
if only because of the name of the thing
pity personalised no plates for bikes only have 5 letters

snot
6th December 2007, 15:03
pity personalised no plates for bikes only have 5 letters

..unless you scribble one on the end with a sharpie that is.

oldguy
6th December 2007, 15:45
Can you believe, Honda are going to make cars,

banditrider
6th December 2007, 17:42
Forget the single - what's wrong with the 3L in my Lancaster or one of the turbos...

necrolyte
6th December 2007, 18:34
I've got plenty of not nice things to say about Subaru as car manufacturers but who knows they might make a good bike just like Honda make crap cars but great bikes!

homer
6th December 2007, 18:49
Forget the single - what's wrong with the 3L in my Lancaster or one of the turbos...

Your so on my wave length
Id say something that looks like a bmw moto
with 4 cyclinders of course ,flat motor
and id say turbo charged and .....mmmm......maybe about 1450 cc
With a subaru badge ....why the f... not

Zuki Bandit
6th December 2007, 18:58
Oh my God, is every man and his dog gonna get one and chuck a big bore can on it?

Jezzus Christ:crazy:

banditrider
6th December 2007, 19:01
Oh my God, is every man and his dog gonna get one and chuck a big bore can on it?

Jezzus Christ:crazy:

Don't think a single will make that cobber, cobber sound :headbang:

More like pfft, pfffft :no:

McJim
6th December 2007, 19:03
Nuts innit? Subaru make boxer engines for cars and here they are making a single cylinder and yet BMW are famous for making boxer engines for bikes and yet they put inline 4s in their cars:weird:

homer
6th December 2007, 19:05
Don't think a single will make that cobber, cobber sound :headbang:

More like pfft, pfffft :no:

oh come on thats really stupid.......not a big can ........the biggest can

:clap:

homer
6th December 2007, 19:07
Nuts innit? Subaru make boxer engines for cars and here they are making a single cylinder and yet BMW are famous for making boxer engines for bikes and yet they put inline 4s in their cars:weird:

yeah it dosnt make sence
Subaru also do a flat 8
sraight off the bench is just over 500 hp non turbo or supercharged.
Should go in my fairmont just right i recken

EJK
6th December 2007, 19:22
No kidding....

that is gayer than Honda! :lol:

Zuki Bandit
6th December 2007, 19:34
Sorry, I just couldnt help photoshopping. I call it SUBIEKU!!!:lol:

EJK
6th December 2007, 19:41
roflmao!!! ahaha thats good!

deanohit
6th December 2007, 20:10
Your so on my wave length
Id say something that looks like a bmw moto
with 4 cyclinders of course ,flat motor
and id say turbo charged and .....mmmm......maybe about 1450 cc
With a subaru badge ....why the f... not

That was my first thought when I saw Subaru were going to make a bike, I imagined either a flat twin dually ala BMW, or a flat 4, 2ltr tourer.
Not some pissy arsed 500 single that looks like shit.
At least a KTM has style to go with its awesome 690s.

deanohit
6th December 2007, 20:11

Dude, that just takes the cake, awesome man! :headbang:

hospitalfood
6th December 2007, 20:21
if it is anything like the subaru car every gay muppet will get one.
and drip oil.

deanohit
6th December 2007, 20:31
if it is anything like the subaru car every gay muppet will get one.
and drip oil.

And throw on some ridiculously large exaust and one of those things that go 'woosh'.:oi-grr:

The Pastor
6th December 2007, 20:35
A single sports bike, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

homer
6th December 2007, 20:44
That was my first thought when I saw Subaru were going to make a bike, I imagined either a flat twin dually ala BMW, or a flat 4, 2ltr tourer.
Not some pissy arsed 500 single that looks like shit.
At least a KTM has style to go with its awesome 690s.

Maybe the brains of subaru motorcycles are closer to you and me than we think or than they know .

How about a subaru cruiser with the flat 6 , 3 litre
big twin exhausts that would sound sweet

deanohit
6th December 2007, 20:54
How about a subaru cruiser with the flat 6 , 3 litre
big twin exhausts that would sound sweet

Be a competitor for the Honda Rune! :clap:

Would have to keep the turbo though, if your not going to be able to go around a corner, you may as well go fast in a straight line.

homer
6th December 2007, 21:23
Be a competitor for the Honda Rune! :clap:

Would have to keep the turbo though, if your not going to be able to go around a corner, you may as well go fast in a straight line.

oh true
sounds sweet ....yeah lets keep the turbo .......
Even better what about a big cruiser with about a 3litre flat engine and twin turbo just incase you need to pass in a hurry

And lets say putting a 265 on the rear and maybe a 225 on the front ....maybe leaf springs at the back .....or how about with a set of air shocks ....
Na to trikey
just the first bits with a twin tubo

Subike
7th December 2007, 15:58
How about an EJ20 DOHC with the fuel injection removed and a pair of down draught delortos put in their place, attached to a 3 speed auto in a 76" x 48" chassis, with the seat 550mm off the ground. center of gravity 460mm of the ground, 45/55 weight distributon front rear Bla Bla Bla.......
It is in my garage being built, but it will be at least two more summers till you guys see it.

deanohit
7th December 2007, 16:41
Heres a good article on it which seems to mirror everyones feelings:
http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2007/12/subaru-to-make-bikes.html
According to some rumours doing the rounds on the Internet, Japanese car manufacturer, Subaru, may soon also start building bikes. Given that the Subaru Impreza, in its various avatars, has been such a big hit on the World Rally Championship scene, you’d probably expect Subaru to make a radical new sportsbike or a wild, hot rally-raid machine. But no, it seems they’re working on a rather homely little bike – the HS500 – that’s powered by a single-cylinder, 500cc engine that makes a humble 50bhp. (What?! The makers of the mighty Impreza WRX STi will put the Subaru name on a 50 horsepower motorcycle…?)

The Subaru HS500 is, supposedly, the work of one Kazuo Sasaki, who apparently worked with Honda in the 1980s and 90s. The only other details available at this time are that the Subaru bike will be fitted with Showa suspension components, Tokico brakes with radial-mount callipers and a twin-spar aluminium beam chassis that’ll be made in China.

While Cagiva are probably not going ahead with the single-cylinder Mito 500, maybe Subaru will fill that slot with the HS500. But how we wish they were making the two-wheeled equivalent of the mighty WRX STi. Now that would have been something to watch out for!!

Hell yea, that would be awesome!

homer
7th December 2007, 16:46

I quite like it :2thumbsup

homer
7th December 2007, 16:49
How about an EJ20 DOHC with the fuel injection removed and a pair of down draught delortos put in their place, attached to a 3 speed auto in a 76" x 48" chassis, with the seat 550mm off the ground. center of gravity 460mm of the ground, 45/55 weight distributon front rear Bla Bla Bla.......
It is in my garage being built, but it will be at least two more summers till you guys see it.

oh yeah
Thats cool
maybe i should get a couple of them :niceone:

Cant wait to see it

limbimtimwim
7th December 2007, 17:00
It's a good basic idea, singles are heaps of fun. For some weird reason.

But that looks overweight.

Here is hoping version 2.0 is a bit spindlier.