View Full Version : Nitro helmets?

soundbeltfarm
1st November 2004, 17:33
anyone got a nitro helmet?
whats it like

NC
1st November 2004, 17:53
I dunno eh?
140 for a graphic and 130 for a plain...
Are they made for scooter riders?

I'm looking at the ad for them in the Motorcycle trader and Performance bikes magazine said " collectively gobsmacked at the price for the quality"
. That doesn't mean crap to me...lol

MD
1st November 2004, 19:45
SBF there is a basic model and an upmarket one that is shithot. I got mine for $399 with a clear and dark visor. They have a quick release visor - no tools, takes a few seconds to swap over. The metallic paint is top quality and seems to resist chips better than other lids I've owned. Bit of wind noise but good enough for the price. The rocket launcher vents on top don't seem to do anything but look cool. The other vents work OK. I've posted this pic before on another "lid" thread. If all else fails, accessorise.
MD

Hitcher
1st November 2004, 19:48
There is only one helmet. It is a Shoei. It is bla (Geez, bloody shut up Hitcher!)

soundbeltfarm
1st November 2004, 20:46
There is only one helmet. It is a Shoei. It is bla (Geez, bloody shut up Hitcher!)

ive got a shoei now but i think it is time for a new one.
my boy dropped it the other day and cracked the visor where it pivots.
its not that old that visor ( piss me off)
so good excuse for another one

Slipstream
1st November 2004, 22:31
whats it like

Best fitting helmet I've ever worn or had.
Light, air flow is easy to control for demisting and real comfortable....the fact that mine was given to me, doesn't stop me from knowing that the price is actually really good. :niceone:

Velox
1st November 2004, 22:37
I reckon they're pretty style cause they've got a pointy chin bit (not into those wide flat chins). And they're cheap! That'll be my choice next time I reckon.

ben444
2nd November 2004, 00:17
After bouncing my Arai down Teretonga (with my head in it), I bought the Nitro helmet to try. Not as good as the Arai, but it's pretty well up there and I could buy four Nitro's for the replacement price of the Arai. Recommended buying. :2thumbsup

shandawg
2nd November 2004, 05:50
I tried one recently

Quite comfortable, quieter than my HJC :argh:

Mega cheap too!

Might have to get me one as well as I can't justify an Arai, and the HJC has seen better days :brick:

jimbo600
2nd November 2004, 06:56
whats it like

I got one. Really impressed. Dark visors are cheap and make me go much faster.

Slipstream
2nd November 2004, 08:16
Dark visors are cheap and make me go much faster.

Oh dear... and here was me thinking you went faster so you could catch up with WT and Deano... :bleh:

jimbo600
2nd November 2004, 11:09
Oh dear... and here was me thinking you went faster so you could catch up with WT and Deano... :bleh:

WT and Deano? I usually lap those guys. Unless WT is on his minimoto, then it's a right old dingdong.

riffer
2nd November 2004, 19:15
WT sold me a Nitro NV-500 when I threw my bike down the road.

Its an almost identical copy of a Shoei Raid, in black.

The fit is great, its the first helmet I've had that fits snugly into my cheekbones while still leaving a bit of room for my pointy chin. <_<

The only complaint I'd have about mine is that the air vent/spoiler at the top is not held on too strongly. It's broken off partly twice now (where it screws on), and I've had to epoxy it back on.

The visors use the same system as the Shoei's but I think its a different shape so it probably won't fit.

Its nice and light, and the wind noise while noticeable isn't too bad at all.

All the vents on mine seem to work, even the rocket launcher on the top which directs cold air down the back of my head - when its not falling off. :(

The lining is removeable for washing and it has optional adjustable sized cheekpads to ensure you get a good fit.

I would definitely recommend the $300-400 helmet to anyone - not too sure about the cheapies but the midrange price helmet is excellent.

Hitcher
2nd November 2004, 19:46
Ah, the nonsense promulgated by helmet manufacturers and distributors. Choice of colours and graphics (Yeah, right...)

Adjustable removable cheek pads. Pah! Let's chase that cat for a couple of seconds. When was the last time anybody here saw in a bike shop a range of adjustable cheek pads that could be fitted to their helmet? Or even one set?

Let's chase another cat... When was the last time anybody bowled into their favourite bike shop to get, say, a tinted visor for their lid and, woo hoo, the shop had one in stock?

Geez, who opened this gargre of hobbyhorses? Here come another one while I'm hot-to-trot on accessories distributors...

What's this crap about the ads they run in NZ motorcycle magazines? "Yeah, that looks the goods, I'd like one of those." But no contact details or list of stocking dealers or, prices! That is sloppy.

On the subject of sloppy, has anybody looked at Motormail's web site -- particularly the bit about tyres? No NetGuide awards there folks.

Still on the subject of sloppy, have a look at White's site. Maybe it's better for retailers than it is for "consumers" but it is a pretty suboptimal effort (takes me back to my starting position regarding helmets).

And then there's Yamaha NZ's site. No prices for bikes!! Unbelievable. Do they want you to buy one? Ask your local dealer to quote, click here to find the one closest to you!! What's all that about??

[Steaming hobbyhorses returned to gargre]

dangerous
2nd November 2004, 20:10
Funny this question was asked cos just the other day I was looking at the N800 in a shop in town.... came home and found this web site http://www.nitro-helmets.com/ damn I like the N900, N1000 and 1200.
So I p/med WT as the price that I was given was under $400 and that seemed to be a tad cheap for those models, but WT replyed that they arnt actually too bad.
But these new models wont be in NZ for about 3-6 weeks so we have to wait huh.

Jess
3rd November 2004, 14:00
hey the nitro N510V Fibreglass Gunmetal black on the Nitro.com site aforementioned - where might that be sold in NZ? because from this review (and the fact that i have dropped my current helmet too many times) i would like to get it.

and can someone explain to me the overruling fascination with multicoloured helmets? :eek5:
i LOVE the plain ones. allll black, allll white, allll red.... the multicoloured ones look ugly and unmatchable with anything...

explain!!!! please...

Dodgyiti
3rd November 2004, 14:07
can someone explain to me the overruling fascination with multicoloured helmets? :eek5:

i LOVE the plain ones. allll black, allll white, allll red.... the multicoloured ones look ugly and unmatchable with anything...

explain!!!!

Matt Black or plain black for Westies, Fluro for the 'Shore crowd, Matchin the bike for Central and east, Borrowed off a mate for out south.
Sorry cant explain for the rest of the country.
Deep sigh, and preparing for the slagging match :Oi:

Jess
3rd November 2004, 14:20
what about the plain white and plain red ones? where do they fit? :shifty:

vifferman
3rd November 2004, 14:33
and can someone explain to me the overruling fascination with multicoloured helmets? :eek5:

explain!!!! please...Fascination? No, sometimes circumstances.
My first coupla helmets were plain colours, coz that's all you could buy "in the old days", unless you had your helmet spraypainted. My first new one was red (red bike) and I spraypainted it to match my second bike (silver). The next one I bought new (coz I got a discount from the shop I bought my bike at), and it was white with red 'n blue graphics, to match my bike. Some time after I replaced the bike with a black bike with silver bits and gold decals, I happened to see a black helmet with gold and silver graphics, and the salesman offered to let me test-ride it for the day, then gave me a substantial discount. So I had no choice: I had to become colour-coordinated again.
My current helmet is multicoloured (not my first choice) solely because I needed a new helmet, and Yamahamaman sold it to me for a very good price.
So if you don't like it, too bad.
I wouldn't mind a plain red helmet, or one with tastefully subdued accents in black, but I don't have the money to buy a plain helmet because you don't approve of garishly-hued ones.:Pokey:

Blakamin
3rd November 2004, 14:50
what about the plain white and plain red ones? where do they fit? :shifty:
They are for Ducati and old BMW owners :lol: :shake:

Jess
3rd November 2004, 14:54
ya dont have to change your helmet just because i dont like it! :blink: none of that was a personal insult to the colour of anyone's helmet, i just like 'em plain, myself... :yes:

gav
3rd November 2004, 22:22
it certainly pays to shop around and try on as many different helmets as you can. I was disappointed by the Shoei Raid, felt like a terrible fit and very cheap and nasty, seemed to have little padding and didnt fit very snuggly. I've always had Shoei in the past and was going to buy another, best fit was a Shoei Diablio XR1000 that was about $700 in a XXL . Then looked at some KBC and HJC, best fit was the HJC, and ended up getting a real bargain. Agreed to a CL12 in a XXL, but distributor had no stock but offered a CL14 as discounted price to match the CL12 price, this line was being replaced by the AC11 / AC12 line, but has same shell as CL14 and just has metallic paint job. This helmet retails for around $450, got my CL14 for $250 from dealer, :yeah:

vifferman
8th November 2004, 09:09
it certainly pays to shop around and try on as many different helmets as you can. I was disappointed by the Shoei Raid, felt like a terrible fit and very cheap and nasty, seemed to have little padding and didnt fit very snuggly. We spent a lot of time on Saturday looking at and trying on helmets, finding one for my lovely wife. In the end, the Shoei Raid was the only one that fit well (she has a small head), it was the most comfy AND best quality. She found a couple of other helmets that almost fit, and an HJC that fit well but her glasses were pressing into her temples. The salesman certainly knew his stuff - what he said about the shape and fit of other helmets was spot on, as it was exactly what was confirmed when we tried them.
At $399, the Raid was a good price. Oh - we did find one (and only one) other helmet that fitted well - an Arai, which was a little difficult to get the glasses on at first. And it cost nearly $1000.:shit: So we went back and bought the Raid, and Mrs FS was very pleased with it when we test-rode it. :yeah:

750Y
8th November 2004, 09:25
...the Raid was a good price. Oh - we did find one (and only one) other helmet that fitted well - an Arai, which was a little difficult to get the glasses on at first....

Just out of curiosity, what model arai was it? I too, only found the shoei fitted me good (I'm a size small in helmets also) but it's getting a little ragged nowadays, so I may look into the arai as another option. Oh, and it'll have to be plain white for maximum sight, with a clear visor for clear vision(function before form).

vifferman
8th November 2004, 09:31
Just out of curiosity, what model arai was it? I too, only found the shoei fitted me good (I'm a size small in helmets also) but it's getting a little ragged nowadays, so I may look into the arai as another option. Oh, and it'll have to be plain white for maximum sight, with a clear visor for clear vision(function before form).Dunno, but I'll find out at lunchtime (have to go into the shop again).

750Y
8th November 2004, 10:45
sweet thanks man...

etepjavelin
15th July 2007, 17:36
i brought one of the nitro "iom tt" helmets and tried it one cold night on the open road, the visor is the best i have used at night in 30 plus years of riding, i did not plan on using the tt helmet but am that impressed i am going to buy another nitro of same model which is " nitro n1600 platinum". i ride an st1300 but prefer to ride with the screen down at night, so i am really impressed with the nitro n1600, they can be got it via ebay in britain for around $270 nz.

Morcs
15th July 2007, 17:57
Ive had two nitro helmets - the N900V and now have the N1000V (see profile pic).

They are beautiful helmets, I prefer the shape compared to big round helmets.
They have great ventilation, love them in the summer months.

They are very noisy and icy cold air seems to get in during the winter, but hey, at $170 it was a great buy.

I have crash tested my current nitro twice - 2 accidents within 2 weeks of buying it - hence why i yet havent bought a new one yet, but saying that, it did what its supposed to do, and no less than a $1000 helmet would.

My next helmet will be yet another nitro.

I hope this helps.

riffer
15th July 2007, 18:08
I'm on to my second Nitro, an N1200-VX (http://www.nitro-helmets.com/product_detail.php?product_id=122) in silver red & black which goes great with my leathers. Here's a review (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nitro-helmets/).

Very, very light (1400 grams - I've never seen anything lighter), but also very noisy. This doesn't worry me as I'm half deaf anyway.

I found it fogged up very easily but the addition of an Oxford Huff (http://www.bikebitzuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38) helped heaps with that.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Chickadee
15th July 2007, 19:30
I've got two Nitro's, my first was all white and I still use it. It's got a flip face, warmer than the second one. Second ones a recent purchase, looks cool, steams up like buggery in these cold temps. Feel a bit cheated since hubby now has an HJC with anti-fog as standard, his is warmer too. His was around $300, my recent Nitro was $199. It will be great in summer when weathers a bit warmer.

Recommend you shop around for something that fits you well, looks good, doesn't steam up on ya (I wear glasses which makes it harder - sometimes the breathguard blows you breath up into your glasses!).

I do like my Nitro's, but there will always be something you'll like about another helmet over your own in my humble opinion.

Tim 39
15th July 2007, 21:32
I'm absolutely sure that I've seen a Nitro (not sure what model) that is exactly an FFM M7 with different graphics. the helmet itself was almost identical!

kornboy
16th July 2007, 12:18
Ive got one, its awesome, cheap, lightweight, good ventilation, good looking. Ill get another one after this one too.

LilSel
16th July 2007, 12:41
I have a Nitro helmet n I find it fits my head really really well and is comfy as for me. Other helmets I have used in the past just didnt feel as snug as the Nitro. Also I like the shape of them, it is easy and quick to swap visors on them also, from tinted to clear and back again etc. Not so much a fan of round helmets. :sunny: