7th December 2007, 12:47
Putting it in the nc30?

nc30vfr400
10th December 2007, 06:02
if i can find one, ill bang one in.
you got one?

nc30vfr400
10th December 2007, 06:19
or maybe someone out there knows another rear thatl bolt in? i dont mind chopping up the battery box as long as itll bolt into the mounts and most impotantly work haha
cheers

vifferman
10th December 2007, 08:44
What ends does it have on it? What's the distance eye-to-eye?

more_fasterer
10th December 2007, 11:19
or maybe someone out there knows another rear thatl bolt in?

Over in Yurop they seem quite fond of the RS250 shock upgrade; like the SP1 shock you've gotta hack up the battery tray & get a smaller battery.
Have you had a look on http://www.400greybike.co.uk?

nc30vfr400
10th December 2007, 11:24
rs250 sounds expensive, gotta try find dimensions of standard so i can start comparing

limbimtimwim
10th December 2007, 11:54
Robert Taylor can make an Ohlins for you. Not cheap, but probably the best option.

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 06:08
ohlins is far to rich for my blood at the mo. when i can find a 2nd hand rear for around a hundy. cheers man

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 06:16
You won't find an SP1 shock for $100.

You might (million to one chance) find one and some mysterious benefactor may let you buy it for $100 but once it has been resprung and revalved to suit a much lighter and smaller bike you may as well have bought a new Ohlins.

Don't scrimp on sorting your suspension. It does more than stop your arse dragging on the ground.

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 06:22
okay? people i know have bought sp1 shocks off tard me for 80 - 100 bucks and k1 gixxer thou rears also go for that much, all i wanna do is improve it, they have soft rears i dont wanna pay what i did for the bike on a rear shock thats all. Just looking for something thatll bolt in and raise the ride height a touch and be a bit harder, sifting through the google searches ive found that the sp1 shock will do just that. cheers anyway.

montsta56
11th December 2007, 07:50
You won't find an SP1 shock for $100.

You might (million to one chance) find one and some mysterious benefactor may let you buy it for $100 but once it has been resprung and revalved to suit a much lighter and smaller bike you may as well have bought a new Ohlins.

Don't scrimp on sorting your suspension. It does more than stop your arse dragging on the ground.

I got one off trade me 2 Week's ago for $100.
Used rear shock's seem to be pretty cheap.:innocent:

vifferman
11th December 2007, 07:53
I've got a 2001 VFR shock in pretty good nick sitting on my gargre floor... :whistle:

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 08:06
I got one off trade me 2 Week's ago for $100.
Used rear shock's seem to be pretty cheap.:innocent:

For a reason.

Don't put it on without getting it rebuilt.

montsta56
11th December 2007, 08:31
For a reason.

Don't put it on without getting it rebuilt.

It's only done 20'000k an appears to be new............ The glass is not always half empty! ! Cheer up mate.. Besides it got to be better than OEM that's coming up 20 years old:clap:

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 08:42
A 20,000km OEM shock is rooted.

Most OEM suspension is in need of a decent overhaul by 20,000km.

That shock WON'T be sprung or valved for the bike it going on, and being a complete dick about it, if it causes an accident then it wasn't worth it.

imdying
11th December 2007, 08:45
I would have thought that valving etc in the shock was somewhat specific to the bikes geometry, weight, linkages etc. Just like you're potentially going to have trouble swapping carbs between bikes, you're potentially asking for trouble by using a foreign shock. With a carb you can rejet it, and it'll possibly just run like shit when it's wrong. With a shock, it can be revalved, but if not it'll potentially get bound into knots at the most inopportune moment and throw you.

Besides it got to be better than OEM that's coming up 20 years oldNo, it doesn't have to be better. You would of course like to think that it would be, but you're really just taking a potentially fatal stab in the dark. It would be very easy to have it looked at by someone like RT who knows what they're doing, so easy that it seems a bit silly not to bother.

vifferman
11th December 2007, 08:54
I would have thought that valving etc in the shock was somewhat specific to the bikes geometry, weight, linkages etc. Just like you're potentially going to have trouble swapping carbs between bikes, you're potentially asking for trouble by using a foreign shock.
In general terms, yes. You can't just fit some shock that's approximately the right length and expect it to work.
But there are shocks that are known in Interdweebland to be compatible between bikes. Frinstance, a CBR929 shock works better on a VFR800 than the OEM shock, even though it's shorter and needs an adapter made in order to work. And a common conversion is fitting SP1 or R1 front forks.

And Mr Jim2 - a 20,000 km shock's not necessarily rooted. Assuming it's the original shock, the shock on my VFR had somewhere between 45 and 50k miles on it. Its shortcomings were due to the design more than wear'n'tear. And the VTR1000 had a shock with similar mileage on it when I traded it in.
It all depends on the roads it's been on, how fat the rider is, how much crap he carried, etc.

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 08:59
And Mr Jim2 - a 20,000 km shock's not necessarily rooted. Assuming it's the original shock, the shock on my VFR had somewhere between 45 and 50k miles on it. Its shortcomings were due to the design more than wear'n'tear. And the VTR1000 had a shock with similar mileage on it when I traded it in.
It all depends on the roads it's been on, how fat the rider is, how much crap he carried, etc.

Depends if it has been looked after or not and 99% of people don't look after their suspension. I would not trust a suspension component bought off Trademe to be in a good state. In this case it is most definitely NOT right for the bike it is going on. Most manufacturers don't make suspension components that last because new bike buyers typically don't keep a bike long enough to notice it wear, and second hand buyers typically don't know it was worn out when they bought. They just think that's how it always was.

Suspension wear happens incrementally and you adjust with each minor degradation in performance. Most people will put up with suspension that is a long way below par, and often sell a bike because it isn't "fast" enough, when a bit of grease on suspension linkages and swingarm bearings/bushes will make a huge difference, to say nothing of servicing forks and shocks.

It is a rare motorcycle that has suspension that functions anything like new at 20,000kms.

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 09:04
thanks for your concern about my saftey but this isnt a disscussion forum its a trading one, theres no reason that a sp1 shock wont be better then the original even if it the original was rebuilt, considering the nc30 shock would have been designed for 50kg japanese guys, including the ride height, the nc30 will benifit with a increased ride height racers do it, times prove it and i wanna experiment dont discourage trying new things, theres only one way to find out if a idea will work

Marmoot
11th December 2007, 09:34
SP1 rear shock would be quite rare. Heck, the SP1 bikes themselves are quite a rarity.

You'd be better off keeping your options open (GSXR rear shocks, Blade rear shocks, R rear shocks, etc) and see what comes your way.

Modern blade shock is not much inferior to SP1. This is from experience of having ridden both.
The only concern for you would be the mounting, and the linkage (you are using a linkage yea?). Without proper linkage even Ohlins would give shite handling.

As long as you can get the linkage sorted, then just bolt your suspension on and adjust it from there.
If you can't sort it out, then think about revalving it.

No I don't have any rear shocks to sell, but as I said, keep your options open. Maybe change your thread title a bit.

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 10:04
thanks for your concern about my saftey but this isnt a disscussion forum its a trading one, theres no reason that a sp1 shock wont be better then the original even if it the original was rebuilt, considering the nc30 shock would have been designed for 50kg japanese guys, including the ride height, the nc30 will benifit with a increased ride height racers do it, times prove it and i wanna experiment dont discourage trying new things, theres only one way to find out if a idea will work

The original shock can at least be re-srpung to suit your weight. The SP1 shock isn;t going to work as well as you think it is until it is setup for your bike with you on it.

It's simple. You don;t seem to want to learn anything so why post in the first place.

Ask Shaun Harris and Robert Taylor and get some decent advice.

As you've so trenchantly noted, Internet forums are full of shit.

Ask an expert.

imdying
11th December 2007, 10:44
In general terms, yes. You can't just fit some shock that's approximately the right length and expect it to work.
But there are shocks that are known in Interdweebland to be compatible between bikes. Frinstance, a CBR929 shock works better on a VFR800 than the OEM shock, even though it's shorter and needs an adapter made in order to work. And a common conversion is fitting SP1 or R1 front forks.In my experience, the 'common swaps' on the Internet forums are merely ones that people have found to fit, not that they've had tested and have been found to be a good upgrade. Pretty big fucking difference IMHO.

imdying
11th December 2007, 10:48
thanks for your concern about my saftey but this isnt a disscussion forum its a trading one, theres no reason that a sp1 shock wont be better then the original even if it the original was rebuilt, considering the nc30 shock would have been designed for 50kg japanese guys, including the ride height, the nc30 will benifit with a increased ride height racers do it, times prove it and i wanna experiment dont discourage trying new things, theres only one way to find out if a idea will workHahahahha, well I for one will LMFAO if you hit a fence post and die... (oh noes, I'm a cunt, what a fucking surprise).

You might think things are well under control, but if you're doing the tonne and your suspension ties itself up in knots, you'll be on your arse before you've even figured out what's going wrong.

Happy riding fella :scooter:

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 11:11
i dont think there is any need for saying things like that mate, as for taking it to a profesional i am one im fully qualified mechanic and what makes me laugh is gimps like you spending all day searching forums puting in there 2 cents when they arnt asked for, im after a shock thats all, its none of your buisness what i do with it, again this is a wanted add, not a 'what do you think?' thread because to be honest i dont care what people that laugh when other people die have to think. stop wasting time and posting your opinion on this thread. and to the other people that are being helpful and not wishing death on others, thanks for your input

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 11:15
SP1 rear shock would be quite rare. Heck, the SP1 bikes themselves are quite a rarity.

thanks for the positive helpful reply dude, theres been afew on trade me lately (i was suprised too) but the reason i want a sp1 item is because i know itll bolt straight in and APPARENTLY work.
anyhow cheers

imdying
11th December 2007, 11:24
No no, you misread that... I don't laugh when other people die... I'm going to laugh if you die because somewhere you read on the internet it's a good swap, but you didn't take the time to have it easily and painlessly checked by someone who has a shock dyno and can 100% confirm or deny whether it's a good idea.

But if you want some 'useful' advice, check eBay in the states, plenty of SP1s over there (although they generally call them something else, RC51 iirc).

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 11:29
haha good one your comedy is wasted here join a club.
met a guy last week who has one on a nc30. it works. and im going to try it. if i doesnt work oh well. now please if go away. i wanna buy a shock not talk to you.

vifferman
11th December 2007, 11:32
In my experience, the 'common swaps' on the Internet forums are merely ones that people have found to fit, not that they've had tested and have been found to be a good upgrade. Pretty big fucking difference IMHO.
Well, in this case, you're wrong. :Pokey:
I wouldn't have posted that if it was "just ones that fit". In fact, the 929 shocks don't fit (without minor modification), but do work well. Not as well, perhaps, as an individually-tailored Ohlins, Wilbers, Hyperpro or Elka, but significantly better than the OEM "one size fits all" Showa.
Not all Interdweeb forums are frequented by semi-mindless pleebs that post all sorts of mindless crap; there are some in fact that are mines of useful information.

Morcs
11th December 2007, 13:58
Apparently a gixxer 750 shock fits with not much modification.

I suggest checking out the 400cc grey bike forums (cant be arsed finding a link sorry) but they do heaps of mods with photos and stuff.

nc30vfr400
11th December 2007, 14:03
yea i k1 1000s do to apparently still needa do some research on that on cheers

montsta56
11th December 2007, 16:43
I've got one on my NC30 and it was a big improvment over the standard.
It appears to be a fairly common conversion in the Uk especially.
Sad to see that the " Kiwi do it yourself attitude is lost on certain Members".........Homo's :Oops:

nc30vfr400
12th December 2007, 06:17
Sad to see that the " Kiwi do it yourself attitude is lost on certain Members".........Homo's :Oops:

fuckin aye

imdying
12th December 2007, 06:29
Sad to see that the " Kiwi do it yourself attitude is lost on certain Members".........Homo's :Oops:If the 'Kiwi do it yourself attitude' precludes actually doing the job right, then you can keep it mate ;)