PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Stoppies

kave
7th December 2007, 17:00
I've been trying to learn how to do stoppies, and have managed a few times (probably very very small ones- even though they felt huge). The problem is that it is really hurting my wrists, mainly my right wrist. Any advice as to how I can minimise this?

Thanks

Chrislost
7th December 2007, 17:05
use your knees to hold on.
for EVERYTHING (exept standing up shit)

The Stranger
7th December 2007, 17:10
I've been trying to learn how to do stoppies, and have managed a few times (probably very very small ones- even though they felt huge). The problem is that it is really hurting my wrists, mainly my right wrist. Any advice as to how I can minimise this?

Thanks

Speak to nodrog - he's been doing a lot of wrist strengthening exercises lately.

kave
7th December 2007, 17:18
use your knees to hold on.
for EVERYTHING (exept standing up shit)

Problem is that I'm mainly doing the standing up ones because I find it a lot easier to get the back up when my weight is high and forward. Also, I'm practising in a pretty small area and its a nuisance trying to get enough speed up, so standing up seems to be my only option.

Patch
7th December 2007, 17:39
Helpful hint No. 1: use a bike with decent brakes

Helpful hint No. 2: sit on the handlebars (or get a volunteer to help) and practise the stoppie technique - warning, may inflame wrist problem tho.

Helpful hint No. 3: more speed and brake harder faster

Helpful hint No. 4: practise with someone who knows what they are doing

nodrog
7th December 2007, 18:16
Speak to nodrog - he's been doing a lot of wrist strengthening exercises lately.

fark i must remember to turn my web cam off!

Kevmo7
8th December 2007, 16:00
Helpful hint No. 1: use a bike with decent brakes

Helpful hint No. 2: sit on the handlebars (or get a volunteer to help) and practise the stoppie technique - warning, may inflame wrist problem tho.

Helpful hint No. 3: more speed and brake harder faster

Helpful hint No. 4: practise with someone who knows what they are doing

Hint 1 and 4 are good,

Hint 2 is the dumbest thing ive ever heard :spanking:

Hint 3 is asking for a low side

The best way to learn stoppies is just come in about 40kph, and progressivly pull on the brake harder and harder in a swift action, also, sit up with ur bum off the seat, hug the tank hard with your knees, lock out your arms to stop any upper body movement, and then ride the stoppie :beer:

deanohit
8th December 2007, 18:00
The best way to learn stoppies is just come in about 40kph, and progressivly pull on the brake harder and harder in a swift action, also, sit up with ur bum off the seat, hug the tank hard with your knees, lock out your arms to stop any upper body movement, and then ride the stoppie :beer:

All on something with better brakes than an SRX! :2thumbsup

HDTboy
8th December 2007, 19:23
Jump on your mountain bike and Practic Practice Practice.
A mountain bike comes up a lot faster than a motorcycles so when you've mastered 6 foot rolling stoppies on that, the motorcycle should be a piece of piss.
A motorcycle with brakes would help though, and hang on with your legs.

kave
9th December 2007, 12:18
I know that a motorbike with better brakes would be a nice start, in fact a bike solely for learning to stunt would be perfect. Unfortunately I am poor and cannot afford to upgrade, let alone buy a stuntbike, so I am stuck with trying to make do with what I have. Anyway, with a bike that weighs 135kg wet, do you really think I need the same braking power as one of the larger bikes.

MSTRS
9th December 2007, 13:09
If you are poor and can't afford etc....then why are you risking your ride doing something utterly un-necessary??

slopster
9th December 2007, 15:36
Start out on a mountainbike. Practice till you can get the back right to the balance point and keep it there for 15 or 20m from about 30kmh then you will feel a lot happier near the ballance point on the motorcycle and your fuckups will be way cheaper

kave
9th December 2007, 19:37
If you are poor and can't afford etc....then why are you risking your ride doing something utterly un-necessary??
For the same reason I ride a motorbike, when a car would probably be a lot more practical, its enjoyable and gets the adrenaline flowing. I would much rather take a measured degree of risk and enjoy myself, instead of taking the easy sensible boring path through life.

Jorja
9th December 2007, 19:47
Have three boys who insist on doing stoppies on their bicycles. Would love to know how to BLOODY STOP THEM lol as they keep destroying their tyres. Am dreading when they are old enough to figure out doing them on their motorbikes!!!!!!

Buddy L
12th December 2007, 20:12
try doing them on a down hill. makes its easyer as the bike is already on the angle you want.
Just like its easyer to do wheelies up hills:eek: