PDA

View Full Version : Essential tools to remove/fit tyres and tubes

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 16:32
By hand (the football replesents an air supply of some sort).........

Kickaha
2nd November 2004, 16:41
CRC is a no no,it might make the tyre easier to fit but it isn't good for the rubber,neither is any petroleum based product.

Best stuff is lanolube or a good rubber grease.

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 16:44
CRC is a no no,it might make the tyre easier to fit but it isn't good for the rubber,neither is any petroleum based product.

Best stuff is lanolube or a good rubber grease. Well I've been using this combination (used good ol soapy water previously) for 15 years, around 140,000kms or more of road use, with no apperant breakdown or failer of either the tyres or tubes on a number of bikes. Thanks for the input.

merv
2nd November 2004, 17:38
You did mention tubes in the title. To fit tubed tyres (on my dirt bikes) I have always used the rubber hammer and dishwash liquid mixed in water as the lubricant. Leave the tyre levers in the cupboard as they are likely to pinch the tube as you fit the tyre.

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 17:55
You did mention tubes in the title. To fit tubed tyres (on my dirt bikes) I have always used the rubber hammer and dishwash liquid mixed in water as the lubricant. Leave the tyre levers in the cupboard as they are likely to pinch the tube as you fit the tyre. I find small levers don't if used properly with the tube slightly inflated and working from the valve stem side and work around. Back heal of a stout pair of boots assists getting the tire on also. :eek5: Some tires are more difficult to get on depending on manufacturer also.

T.I.E
2nd November 2004, 18:19
slightly inflated tubes nice work never thought of that, i can see how that would make things so much easier sweet :bash:

merv
2nd November 2004, 18:29
With dirt bikes we've got the security clamps on the wheels to make fitting tyres harder. My technique is to fit the rim inside the tyre with both beads hanging off either side of the rim. Fit the tube, then blow it up a wee bit, then rubber hammer on one side of the tyre while holding the security clamp in by having the nut screwed on just at the end and pushing the thing into the rim, making sure the valve stem is well in as well, then repeat the process hammering on the other side of the tyre. If you don't do it like that you are likely to get the tube caught under parts of the bead and that makes the tyre sit a bit wonky which is not good for balance or stability.

Kickaha
2nd November 2004, 19:10
I'm used to tyres which last a lot longer than those on a motorcycle and you'd get away with using CRC because of the short lifespan compared to other vehicles,it wont cause tyre failure but it does make the rubber brittle.

With fitting tubes using tyre talc is another recomendation as it stops the tyre and tube chafing together

Hitcher
2nd November 2004, 19:18
I find all of the necessary tools are found in Motorad's workshop.

Motu
2nd November 2004, 19:31
I've used nearly everything to lube the bead,brake fluid is also good - I used to think something water soluable was the way to go and freaked when I saw someone use WD40,but I've found it does no harm,whatever is handy.Of course I now use a proper tyre mounting lube.

I prefer to use 3 spoon levers,with maybe one longer one for the final tight part,or first lifting the bead over.I was taught that if you have to force things,you are doing something wrong - and it's true.Rim locks are a pain,and on trials bikes we use 2 on the rear,there is an art to these,and we all find a better way,as Merv shows with his silly idea that would never work...but does for him.

Try using an oil drum with the top cut out to put the rim on,then you can work standing up instead of groveling around on the ground.I have bike adapters on my tyre machine,so I have an easy time these days,but have always done it myself the hard way.

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 19:40
New tube and tyre fitted in all it's glory and not a rubber mallet in sight. Ready for the next WOF. :shifty:

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 19:46
I find all of the necessary tools are found in Motorad's workshop.
And if you are stuck with a flat in the middle of the Napier-Taihapi Rd?

Hitcher
2nd November 2004, 19:51
And it's dark and raining and I've just run out of gas because I forgot to return the reserve tap to main last time I filled and the jarring from the gravel has popped a fuse and the filament in my headlight and the sump plug came loose and the oils all gone and I wasn't looking where I was going in the dark after I took my helmet off and stuffed my gloves in it and now I've drop kicked it over a bluff and... "I want my Mummy!!"

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 19:51
Try using an oil drum with the top cut out to put the rim on,then you can work standing up instead of groveling around on the ground. Good idea. I have a CRV-7 2.75" practice rocket head box for just that purpose. Though didn't need it today as the tyre and tube went on sweet as. :beer:

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 19:54
slightly inflated tubes nice work never thought of that, i can see how that would make things so much easier sweet :bash: Handy wee tip I came across in an old Haynes m/c servicing manual far too many years ago.

Bonez
2nd November 2004, 19:59
I want my Mummy!!" There's always one. Aint cell phones handy?

Posh Tourer :P
3rd November 2004, 09:27
Also helps to leave the tyre in the sun for a bit to warm and soften it, and when you try to fit the last bit or take off the first bit, clamp the opposite side together so the two lips of the tyre go down into the centre well, giving you more room on your side.

Blakamin
3rd November 2004, 09:52
Buggered if I'd ride around with tyre levers, mallet etc.... I have a can of "holts tyre weld" left under my seat by the previous owner (thanks). Hope I never have to use it but it beats walking. (other things under the seat are a can of "Inox" (like crc but it doesn't dry), the Ducati tool bag wif spare spark plug and my pre load adjuster... ohh, and my broken speedo cable (must throw that out one day))

vifferman
3rd November 2004, 10:01
I've used nearly everything to lube the bead,brake fluid is also good Wouldn't brake fluid wreck painted rims?

Blakamin
3rd November 2004, 10:15
Wouldn't brake fluid wreck painted rims?
I keep hearing this about brake fluid.... modern brake fluid on modern paint does F*(* ALL!!!!!

i feel better now

merv
3rd November 2004, 11:05
I'll stick with the soapy water that is sure to do no harm.

Motu
3rd November 2004, 11:05
Wouldn't brake fluid wreck painted rims?

Painted rims? do you own a scooter?

Bonez
3rd November 2004, 18:11
Buggered if I'd ride around with tyre levers, mallet etc.... Add a spare master link to the mix. Never needed it myself, but sure as hell have help folk that did.

Bonez
3rd November 2004, 18:12
Buggered if I'd ride around with tyre levers, mallet etc.... Add a spare master link and a small first aid kit to the mix. Never needed them myself, but sure as hell have helped folk that did.

erik
3rd November 2004, 20:40
Where's a good place to get tyre levers and tyre lube?

And do you guys balance your wheels after you change the tyres?

Interesting thread... :)

Kickaha
3rd November 2004, 20:49
Buggered if I'd ride around with tyre levers, mallet etc.... I have a can of "holts tyre weld" left under my seat by the previous owner (thanks). Hope I never have to use it but it beats walking

I've been with two friends who got punctures and used similar stuff and if they hadn't had company they would have been walking as they went flat within a few Km's,seems to work better in tubeless tyres than tubed though.

On tour I always carry enough gear and a spare tube to be able to do a roadside repair,haven't needed it yet and hope I never will!

Blakamin
4th November 2004, 06:48
I've been with two friends who got punctures and used similar stuff and if they hadn't had company they would have been walking as they went flat within a few Km's,seems to work better in tubeless tyres than tubed though.

On tour I always carry enough gear and a spare tube to be able to do a roadside repair,haven't needed it yet and hope I never will!
Last long ride I went on (to hastings alone) all i took were my ciggies and a can of bourbon.... :doh:

Hitcher
4th November 2004, 07:51
If I ever get a flat, I'll take my chances with AA roadside rescue. A 230kg motorbike with no mainstand is clearly built on the assumption that modern technology -- both the bike and tyre manufacturers' -- is sufficiently robust that the likelihood of Joe Rider ever wanting to have to remove a wheel in anger is zero, approximated to the nearest significant number (OK, I know zero isn't a number, but humour me for the purposes of my argument).

merv
4th November 2004, 08:16
Tyre Pando or Holts kinda spray can stuff does only work in tubeless tyres - tried it on my DR250 having got a flat just as I arrived into Picton one day - it was useless for a tubed tyre. So being a dirt bike and luckily I was at that end of the trip, rode onto the ferry and then rode it home on the flat tyre anyway. That's why we have the security clamps or rim locks or bead locks or whatever you want to call them on the dirt bikes so the tyre stays fastened to the rim.

Only flat I've had on the VFR was just after I had new tyres fitted, was blatting over the 'tukas and thought gee its getting lively at the rear - thought "damn must have bought to soft a tyre and I'm melting it". Kept riding anyway to Featherston and stopped at the gas station and found a nail or something must have poked a hole in the tyre - hole was there, no nail, because if the nail stays in a tubeless tyre it goes down slowly. Anyway, gas station guy had the old string style puncture repair and we fixed it then and there and I continued on my ride and then got Sawyers to pug it properly once I got back.

Moral of that story is I now carry a string style plug kit with me - you can do instant repairs on the side of the road on tubeless tyres. The officials I think scorn on these things now so once you get home you get the permanent plug repair done which requires removing the tyre from the rim.

Like Hitcher I always have my AA card with me just in case too.

Blakamin
4th November 2004, 08:24
If I ever get a flat, I'll take my chances with AA roadside rescue. A 230kg motorbike with no mainstand is clearly built on the assumption that modern technology -- both the bike and tyre manufacturers' -- is sufficiently robust that the likelihood of Joe Rider ever wanting to have to remove a wheel in anger is zero, approximated to the nearest significant number (OK, I know zero isn't a number, but humour me for the purposes of my argument).
thats another good point! I wouldnt want my Ducs weight all on my stand. due to stand bolted to engine casing!
could be a very expensive lesson!
next time I'll take 2 bourbons... just in case I have to wait :whistle:

XP@
12th January 2005, 16:03
Depending on your rims, one of the hardest parts can be to break the bead (getting the tyre off the rim) (especially if you only weigh 75kg's).
Tyre levers don't work, jumping on it don't work, swearing at it helps you feel better but does nothing to help.

The best way I have found is to use the heaviest thing available... your bike!
Preferably you need a friend to help if things go wrong.

what you do is take the wheel off.
put the wheel under the side stand
rock the bike on to it, yup you end up with a pretty dubious balancing act.
When the bead has broken carefully put the bike back on to the centre stand.
If you have another bike still with 2 wheels then use it's sidestand.

Yup, there is a chance you will drop the bike. I have used this about 50 or 60 times and only dropped it once, and then managed to pick up my f650 again.

Another way is to get a car to CAREFULLY drive over it...

hondav2
12th January 2005, 18:34
Best tyre lube is "Skid" . In aerosol can, we buy it for work from TWL. For bead breaking use Med size G clamp. Cheers Toddy

erik
12th January 2005, 18:36
I weight 90-something kg's and I couldn't break the beads of my tyres by standing on them. I ended up using a block of wood on the tyre, and then another long bit of 4 x 2 as a lever with one end under the car to break the beads.

Or was that just the car tyre bead that I couldn't break by standing on...?

Anyway, that's another way you can do it, by using a couple of bits of wood etc.

XP@
13th January 2005, 08:10
well basically if you are in the middle of nowhere without g-clamps and handy bits of 2*4 then use your friends bikes side stand. If you don't have a friend then you should perhaps shower more often.