PDA

View Full Version : A good PR exercise example/response

candor
9th December 2007, 15:11
Just some food for thought. And the style of damage control is - blame / reduce gravity of concern.

Riders say safety boss has no plan to stem toll
Article from: AAP (Western Aus) Aleisha Preedy
December 08, 2007 05:00pm

THE WA branch of the Motorcycle Riders Association has called for Road Safety Council chairman Grant Dorrington to be replaced because he is "anti-motorcycle''.

Branch president David Wright said not enough was being done to address increasing motorcycle fatalities.

"(Mr Dorrington) has no plan or ideas for reducing the motorcycle death toll other than to say, in his opinion all motorcyclists speed,'' Mr Wright said.

This year, 29 riders and three passengers have died on WA roads. Last year 28 riders and three passengers were killed. The figures are a big jump on 2005 when 18 riders and three passengers perished.

Mr Wright wants to see more rider training, better education and WA roads to be made more motorbike-friendly.

"The State Government has been talking for about four years about making people have more training before they receive their motorcycle licence and they are really dragging their feet on that one,'' Mr Wright said.

"With more experience and more knowledge about how to avoid accidents, I believe more lives could be saved. With motorbikes being smaller, they are harder to see, very vulnerable and the consequences of them getting hit are a lot worse than if it were a car.''

Police found that in all but six of this year's 29 motorcycle fatalities, the rider was at fault.

Mr Dorrington said: "There is no easy fix and no one solution that will satisfy everyone. However, we will continue to examine the research and explore world's best practice in order to find realistic and effective solutions for WA.''

Office of Road Safety executive director Iain Cameron said the Department of Planning and Infrastructure was developing a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing Program to increase supervised driving and training for novice bikers.

The MRA has also renewed calls to Main Roads WA to remove dangerous roadside barriers.

Mr Wright said that if roads had more of a run-off area, instead of signs and barriers, motorcyclists who came off their bikes would have a better chance of survival.

Mr Cameron said speed was the main cause of road fatalities but that Main Roads WA was working to improve road safety for all road users.

"It is recognised that barriers of any type -- flexible, steel or concrete -- provide a potential risk to motorcyclists and indeed other road users when struck,'' he said.

fergie
9th December 2007, 15:23
Police found that in all but six of this year's 29 motorcycle fatalities, the rider was at fault. yikes! i wonder what the stats are in NZ !

Hitcher
10th December 2007, 11:55
Playing the man and not the ball is a pathetic response from anybody at any time. But particularly from any organisation charged with advancing a serious cause. Such tactics rarely generate any useful media coverage. They're generally only used by organisations (such as Federated Farmers) who want their members to think that they are aggressively prosecuting an agenda.

MSTRS
10th December 2007, 12:04
Police found that in all but six of this year's 29 motorcycle fatalities, the rider was at fault. yikes!

Quite possible. But I think you will find that the stats will show a very different picture in cases of minor to medium injury 'accidents' ??

candor
10th December 2007, 21:04
Agree to a point, but it also looks like MRA is trying to demand reasonable answers not waffle from a person in a position of accountability. If you are only getting waffle then mightn't it help to put the waffler on the spot? Or at the least lessen the chance of more waffle? Is it really playing the man - or rather trying to coral the man into playing the ball.

It struck me reading that that all a govt has to do if it wants to undermine a lobby group like motorcyclists is get the cops to start ticking the speed factor in more of their crashes - instantly they can trot out stats on demand that blame the victim or "play the man / group" (to use your term), so distracting & avoiding underlying issues.

Anyway the reason I posted it is that I think the better informed about possible media strategies the better for this issue. I'm sure this one is but one of a gazillion ways to dish up the same message. Just 1 to get the ball rolling..... if anyone's into exploring how others are doing it, with greater or lesser success overseas.

homer
10th December 2007, 21:09
Police found that in all but six of this year's 29 motorcycle fatalities, the rider was at fault. yikes! i wonder what the stats are in NZ !

Very bloody clever to get a response like that ?

29 fatals .....not good
and aprox 12 million peoples in aus or whats it 3 in wa total

Yet in little nz theres been what 3 or 4 in the last week and a half 2 weeks

4 million peoples

do the sums

Ixion
10th December 2007, 21:12

Hang on. That figure sounds very dodgy indeed.

In most accidents both parties are partly to blame. Cager fails to give way pulls out in front of you, but you were speeding. Cager is mainly to blame, but you contribute a bit, cos if you hadn't been speeding you might have been able to avoid him.

So what does that 6 out of 29 figure mean ? That in 6 cases the rier was absolutely blamefree? And in the other 23 was partly respsponsible - but maybe only a small percent? Or that in 23 cases the rider was wholely to blame? Or primarily to blame? I suspect the first, but the figure is given the most anti-motorcycle spiun possible.

homer
10th December 2007, 21:20
you cant go to court only partly to blame
is either your fault or it aint
sometimes court is the better way to go

DEATH_INC.
15th December 2007, 15:05
Hang on. That figure sounds very dodgy indeed.

In most accidents both parties are partly to blame. Cager fails to give way pulls out in front of you, but you were speeding. Cager is mainly to blame,
Yep, this is where it all falls apart, it seems if you are speeding, then you are at fault, end of story.

MSTRS
15th December 2007, 15:47
you cant go to court only partly to blame
is either your fault or it aint
sometimes court is the better way to go

Yes, but death can get in the way of a good case....

Katman
15th December 2007, 16:06
it seems if you are speeding, then you are at fault, end of story.

Exactly as it should be. Why should any other road user have to try to figure out whether you're doing 100kph or 200kph?