PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding my next bike

Jorja
9th December 2007, 20:04
Currently I am riding a Suzuki EN125 A

I have to say I still get a total buzz from my bike. Not sure if it is because it is the first one I have ridden and owned or if it is just the look but whatever it is, I really don't want to get rid of it. Unfortunately (I was warned but didn't think I would ever feel this way) it is just not powerful enough for me and I would like to move up to a 250.

Here in lies the problem. I am 5'1 and am limited to what fits me plus with the $1500- $2000 I might possibly get for my current bike, i don't have alot more to spend.

I must say here I absolutely refuse to ride a GN250. Nothing wrong with them mechanically just hate the look for the things. (If you ride one I sincerely appoigise)

It has been suggested that a bigger engine could be fitted to my current bike but was wondering if anyone else could suggest something. I don't need a hugh amount of speed or power but would like to feel I could do 100km without reving the crap out of the engine.

FilthyLuka
9th December 2007, 21:55
dont put a bigger engine in, you will fuck the frame, they're not exactly meant to hold a big arse engine.

My vote would be for a GPX250, a new one... with a yoshi :-) but thats just me...

Theres always the two strokes, but they can be a pain in the arse maintanace wise and when the spit you off.

CBZXGSXFZR fourcyclinders

Just get what rocks your casbah

McJim
9th December 2007, 22:26
Drop a couple of strokes and grab 25 extra cubic centimetres.

Go buy an RG150.

My wife loves hers even though she now as a GSX750 to play on.

Maintenence is different on a 2 stroke needs done more often but is much cheaper to do. No valves, no timing belts, cam chains, cams etc to go wrong.

I get a bit disappointed when people say 2 strokes are less reliable.

motorbyclist
10th December 2007, 00:45
Drop a couple of strokes and grab 25 extra cubic centimetres.

Go buy an RG150.

My wife loves hers even though she now as a GSX750 to play on.

Maintenence is different on a 2 stroke needs done more often but is much cheaper to do. No valves, no timing belts, cam chains, cams etc to go wrong.

I get a bit disappointed when people say 2 strokes are less reliable.

well they do like to drop pistons, seize, and generally explode at random:bleh:

but they're still good bikes if you both ride and care for them properly

motorbyclist
10th December 2007, 00:48
Currently I am riding a Suzuki EN125 A

Here in lies the problem. I am 5'1 and am limited to what fits me plus with the $1500- $2000 I might possibly get for my current bike, i don't have alot more to spend.

for the money you're spending, and not knowing what your suzuki is like, all i can say is that you must make sure that you get someone who knows what they're looking at to come with you to look at bikes. may save you alot of drama when your bargain turns out to be a time bomb. maybe a fxr 150 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=130719459)would be a step up, but i suspect you should go straight for the 250cc

anything honda (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-131233058/k-725.htm) is reliable (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-131258192.htm?key=725), the suzuki gsx250 and kawasaki zxr and gpx 250 are good machines too....

don't modify your current bike - it'll break and you will not be insured for it

Pwalo
10th December 2007, 06:36
I'm afraid that a 250 will need to be revved a bit to maintain 100kph, although not as much as your 125.

Why don't you get around to a few shops and see if they have any 250s that you could at least sit on. Makes all the difference if you feel comfortable on the bike.

Your choices will be affected by your height, but I reckon you'd enjoy a late model GPX250.

SVboy
10th December 2007, 07:33
Yes,it would make sense for you to test ride as many bikes within your budget and licence restrictions as you can. Even 250 road/trail bikes might be an option, but they are usually higher than road bikes. The main thing is it what does it for you!

HornetBoy
10th December 2007, 08:14
:bleh:I would say a gpx or a .......Hornet 250 lol .but i dont even think you could get a gpx for 2k ...its worth a try tho

Lucy
10th December 2007, 23:03
I must say here I absolutely refuse to ride a GN250. Nothing wrong with them mechanically just hate the look for the things. (If you ride one I sincerely appoigise)

Apology accepted.

:blank:

motorbyclist
11th December 2007, 10:00
haha, i rode a GN once; i couldn't even find the footpegs at first cause they were in the "wrong" place (and it was dark)

nice seat though:laugh:

Squiggles
11th December 2007, 15:59
perhaps a bandit? they seem to go for reasonable prices

Jorja
22nd December 2007, 11:10
I think the mechanic who suggested a bigger engine has a few clues about what will and wont fit.
He was thinking of a FXR150 engine which mounts in the same way as my engine.
The bike would then be happy at 100km/h instead of struggling.
Im in love with the VTR250 hondas but way too expensive.

Ixion
22nd December 2007, 11:22
SRX250. Lovely bike. 150kph top (more maybe if you aren't a 100kg fatty like me). Bullet proof engine. Easy fit 5'1" (Ms Crashe can ride one at 4'12"). And should easily get one for less than $2K. They're a really fun bike.

owner
23rd December 2007, 18:35
srx250 is a great bike

99TLS
23rd December 2007, 18:45
[QUOTE=FilthyLuka;1334018]
My vote would be for a GPX250, a new one... with a yoshi :-) /QUOTE]

doubt there will be any of these for 1-2k :brick: