PDA

View Full Version : Honda Blackbird footpeg lowering (for other bikes too)

Blackbird
10th December 2007, 07:29
A short while ago, I made a post about some footpeg lowering brackets I’d purchased for the Blackbird. The foot peg position of the ‘bird is on the sporty side for a sports tourer and whilst it is not too bad for long distances whilst wearing my touring gear, the hard armour in the knees of my zip-together summer leathers causes some discomfort after a while.

I’ve now fitted the brackets and although they are only 20mm lower and about 15mm rearwards, the difference in comfort level is remarkable. I’ve attached installation details for any other ‘bird owner thinking of going down the same route but the simplicity of the modification might encourage owners of other bikes to consider getting a set of brackets machined if they have similar issues. The installation details also cover how to adjust the gearchange and brake pedal positions

Cheers,

Geoff

vifferman
10th December 2007, 08:19
Hey, excellent write-up, Dr James! :niceone:

I'd imagine these lowering devices would fit many Honda models.

Blackbird
10th December 2007, 08:38
Cheers Ian! Yep, the pegs are probably interchangeable on a range of models. Until I discovered these brackets, I was wondering about replacing the 'bird in maybe the next year for more comfort. Not only would this be an expensive solution but a dumb one too as the 'bird suits my needs perfectly in every other respect. Problem solved!

Geoff

vifferman
10th December 2007, 08:53
Did you check out the Buell footpeg brackets? Apparently they pretty much fit the VFR, and are really cheap (can't remember, but it was less than $30, I think).

Blackbird
10th December 2007, 09:09
Yep, I read some articles on the Buell footpeg mods and they look good too. There's some bushing required because of differences in pivot pin diameters but it's not a huge job apparently. My final choice was based on wanting to keep the rubber-topped originals rather than going to the all-metal Buell pegs in case of slippage and/or additional vibration but I'd be the first to admit that it was based on a gut decision rather than good science:msn-wink:.

If you ever wanted to look at the Buell option, I have some photos and parts details from the UK Blackbird site.

vifferman
10th December 2007, 09:12
If you ever wanted to look at the Buell option, I have some photos and parts details from the UK Blackbird site.
Nah, I saw the posts on the VFR forums, and the ones you've got look MUCH nicer, better even than some one of the VFR forum dudes machined up specifically for the VFR.

Rohan123
18th February 2008, 09:54
I have 2006 Blackbird and are looking at purchasing a pair of David STROM's peg lowering kits. Do they make a difference with reduction of knee bend? I am 6'3 and just had a right knee op thus reducing the bend in my knee a few degrees, so at present riding isn't as comfortable as it once was. I don't want to sell the bike as it great in so many other ways. i would be interested in the thoughts of other Blackbird owners who have fitted the US made kits.

Cheers Rohan :niceone:

Blackbird
18th February 2008, 11:19
I have 2006 Blackbird and are looking at purchasing a pair of David STROM's peg lowering kits. Do they make a difference with reduction of knee bend? I am 6'3 and just had a right knee op thus reducing the bend in my knee a few degrees, so at present riding isn't as comfortable as it once was. I don't want to sell the bike as it great in so many other ways. i would be interested in the thoughts of other Blackbird owners who have fitted the US made kits.

Cheers Rohan :niceone:

Hi Rohan

A few guys on your very own OzBlackbird site have fitted them with good results. Dave Strom is going to make some pillion pegs soon too.

Cheers,

Geoff

Rohan123
8th March 2008, 00:10
Thanks geoff. i fitted the brackets and they make a real difference to the comfort. the only issue i have with them is that the side stand heel knob interfers when i change gears. i may have to just put up with it or change the position of the gear lever. overall i am very happy with them.

cheers

rohan:Punk:

Blackbird
9th March 2008, 14:27
Thanks geoff. i fitted the brackets and they make a real difference to the comfort. the only issue i have with them is that the side stand heel knob interfers when i change gears. i may have to just put up with it or change the position of the gear lever. overall i am very happy with them.

cheers

rohan:Punk:

Excellent! My sidestand only kisses the bottom of the foot bracket by the tiniest amount and I don't seem to get any interference with the heel knob. Must be the way I ride!

Cheers,

Geoff