PDA

View Full Version : Plastic welding

ital916
10th December 2007, 18:03
Hey guys, i'm hoping to get my front welded in the upcoming weekend and am up and riding again tomorrow *after my ass stops being sore from the fall lol* just wondering what happens with the welding. Do i need to take the fairing off but since it's just the very front can i leave it on, pick the bike up two hours later or something and ride off?

Squiggles
10th December 2007, 18:27
take it off, to do it properly you'll need both sides to be seen to ;) Go find somewhere to get the decal too :)

ital916
10th December 2007, 18:56
lol cool beans...sooooooo anyone wanna come over on saturday and help take my fairing off after which a short pootle around on my then naked streetfighterish RG150 will be in order. :D

Ragingrob
10th December 2007, 21:02
Hey man let me know how good and how much the job costs! I need to get a few cracks done too :)

motorbyclist
11th December 2007, 10:13
take it off, to do it properly you'll need both sides to be seen to ;) Go find somewhere to get the decal too :)

yeah take it off or they'll end up charging you for labour when they take it off

clean it too

and take a good photo, square on. signwriters can work magic with just a decent photo and basic measurements (plus vinyl always stretches a bit with a heat gun;))

lol cool beans...sooooooo anyone wanna come over on saturday and help take my fairing off after which a short pootle around on my then naked streetfighterish RG150 will be in order. :D

can do friday.... maybe riding without fairings is a bad idea though as you've removed all the protection for the innards of your bike if you drop her again

NordieBoy
11th December 2007, 11:18

You may not want to get the fairing done then :D

breakaway
11th December 2007, 12:55
Doesn't plastic welding totally fuck the paint / decals?

Ragingrob
11th December 2007, 12:58
Yeah ya need to get a paint job afterwards I'm pretty sure. Unless it's where a decal goes so you just slap it over top of it.

Squiggles
11th December 2007, 15:29
its cracked right across the large decal on the RHS of the fairing, if he was to remove the decal, have it plastic welded and smoothed over, then applying a new decal would completely cover it i think

motorbyclist
11th December 2007, 20:12
its cracked right across the large decal on the RHS of the fairing, if he was to remove the decal, have it plastic welded and smoothed over, then applying a new decal would completely cover it i think

he should weld it from behind

if i was you i'd probably glue it together with a sheet of aluminium/tin behind it

my old dirtbike mudguard (now totally fucked) had been welded where these tough strips were attached to the back and you could hardly tell from the outside - and the new one has aluminium behind it with rivets holding it together

ital916
12th December 2007, 06:21
It'll have to wait for a few weeks aye need the indicators fixed pronto and since i crashed it sheard off/fucked up the indicator mounting so i need to get ti fixed doh! Taking it to mt eden today to get a quote.

koba
12th December 2007, 06:29
Funny that, they always break it that exact spot...
Mine is stiched together with cable ties.
Coyotes doing, works well but I havn't crash tested it yet...

RG150 ??

Streetstock it! :scooter:

motorbyclist
12th December 2007, 15:59
It'll have to wait for a few weeks aye need the indicators fixed pronto and since i crashed it sheard off/fucked up the indicator mounting so i need to get ti fixed doh! Taking it to mt eden today to get a quote.

i asked my panel beater uncle and he does plastic welds....

Ragingrob
12th December 2007, 17:20
i asked my panel beater uncle and he does plastic welds....

Yeah? Where abouts is he? I need some minor work done :rolleyes:

motorbyclist
12th December 2007, 17:35
just off the panmure roundabout. hes a biker himself and does a very good job

speaking of which, how should i paint the viffer?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=62881

Ragingrob
12th December 2007, 17:38
Cool I'll have to check it out and turn up for a quote. Maybe chat to ya tomo at uni before we head to council? I'm Rob, surprisingly enough.

motorbyclist
12th December 2007, 17:40
yeah, i will be coming from there and probably going back afterwards to continue sanding etc

i'm the blonde guy

Squiggles
12th December 2007, 19:38
Check the for sale forum rob, some mc19 fairings there

Ragingrob
12th December 2007, 20:34
Already seen :P wrong side dammit!