PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Australia - multiple questions

jade
10th December 2007, 18:58
Ok so Im moving to australia (sydney - from auckland)
and have briefly investigated shipping costs...
My questions are more compliance related and registering costs
I have a 2000 aprilia rs250 where the only main modification I can think of is aftermarket indicators (cycletreads ones and I dont think they have the right numbers on them to be vinned here)
What is the process involved for taking my bike to australia once it arrives
I guess it goes through quarantine before I can have it
How do I go about getting it legal and what problems am I likely to come across ?
What ballpark figures can I expect to pay ???
Will I be looking at vinning (compliance) - Getting it registered and warranted
or will all this be in one hit ?? I am mostly interested in hearing from people that have done this before

I have owned the bike for more than one year and have no intention of selling it.... ever.
Selling here and buying new is not an option

My second question is about licensing.
I have been on my learners licence for 3 and a bit years - I plan to move to aus in april of next year - so even If I got my restricted tomorow I would not be able to get my full before I go over there
How does getting an australian licence work and will I still be able to ride my 250 on whatever licence I would get ?

What would happen if I DID have a full licence here and moved over there ?
Would I be able to get some type of full international licence or similar ?
I am thinking along the lines of applying for an exemption here to skip straight to my full licence before I leave - would this help me ?
What criteria do you need to apply for the exemption (in NZ) ?
Would being on my learners (because i havent wanted to upgrade to anything bigger) for almost 4 years likely get me the exemption?
also I would add in my story about moving to aus and needing to be able to commute for work
I hope somebody can help me

jade
12th December 2007, 21:11
a little help ? Is it because I said australia ?

Steam
12th December 2007, 21:42
Go to this page and put in NZ to Aust. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/transport/shipping.php
As for getting a bike registered, it's different, over there they don't seem to have a Vinning process to go through, just get a warrant and fill out the form to get a number plate and that's it.
No need to give a chassis number or anything.
In fact it seems possible to steal a motorcycle in the UK or USA and send it to Oz, there seems to be nothing to stop that kind of thing, no checking of frame numbers or ownership histories.
WHen I registered my bike over there I just showed them a hand-written receipt at the QUeensland Transport office, and they gave me a plate and rego papers and that was cool, it was all good from there.

Maybe I missed something, but it seems that easy.

homer
12th December 2007, 21:47
an international licence will do for 6 months

So your going to need to get an aus one anyways
as for the bike
id sell it and buy one there
if you take it itll cost you 2 lots of gst
its just not worth it
and then a container or similar
think about a quarter of a container is about 700
think ?

Steam
12th December 2007, 21:54
an international licence will do for 6 months

You don't need an international license for Oz, you just go on the NZ one and it's legal for a year.
At any point you can change it over to an Australian one. At least in Queensland you don't even need to take a test or pay a fee, it's free! So nice.
You can change right over to the same stage of license over there.
Here's what the QLD transport site says about it; sorry, I lost the actual site, but google a sentence below and you'll find it.

Overseas licence holders

An amendment was made to the Transport Operations Regulation on 1 March 2006, exempting New Zealand licence holders, and certain other overseas licence holders, from having to complete the written road rules test and pay the prescribed fee for a car and/or motorbike licence.

Applicants from these counties (excluding applicants from external territories of those recognised countries) are not required to take a written road rules or practical driving test when applying for a car or motorcycle licence in Queensland.

Drum
12th December 2007, 21:57
Can't help with any of that stuff, but go to the Toxteth Hotel in Glebe and tell 'em Damon sent ya. (or the Coogee, Bondi or King's Cross Hotels too for that matter). :drinknsin:drinkup::cool:

jade
15th December 2007, 15:05
thanx for the responses, that helps plenty.. and seems to be easy !
I AM taking my bike reguardless of the cost..
you have to understand how many hours I have put into it... hundreds,
I will never find another like it
Im only going to aus for 3-4 months and should be commuting from where my sister lives in bondi junction to a boatbuilding yard Ill be working at about 40 mins away, when the 3-4 months is up the bike will go into storage and I will be heading to europe to work for 3-5 years type of thing
when Im ready to come home - Ill pick up my baby ..bring her back and buy my first new bike off the showroom floor
I plan on building a box to ship the bike, its also going to have to fit my toolbox so will be a reasonable size... put it on a ship and send it a couple weeks before I get on a plane...
Can anybody confirm the above posts ?

JimO
15th December 2007, 15:38
Can't help with any of that stuff, but go to the Toxteth Hotel in Glebe and tell 'em Damon sent ya. (or the Coogee, Bondi or King's Cross Hotels too for that matter). :drinknsin:drinkup::cool:

i dont know about that........you may find Damon left a bar tab behind:drinkup::drinkup:

Shaun
15th December 2007, 17:45
thanx for the responses, that helps plenty.. and seems to be easy !
I AM taking my bike reguardless of the cost..
you have to understand how many hours I have put into it... hundreds,
I will never find another like it
Im only going to aus for 3-4 months and should be commuting from where my sister lives in bondi junction to a boatbuilding yard Ill be working at about 40 mins away, when the 3-4 months is up the bike will go into storage and I will be heading to europe to work for 3-5 years type of thing
when Im ready to come home - Ill pick up my baby ..bring her back and buy my first new bike off the showroom floor
I plan on building a box to ship the bike, its also going to have to fit my toolbox so will be a reasonable size... put it on a ship and send it a couple weeks before I get on a plane...
Can anybody confirm the above posts ?

NOPE but, good on ya, sound pretty committed to your goal/plan How about just getting a Bike crate from a bike shop ( IT WILL BE FOC) and pack your tools in there as well, and get another box, or strap on externally and ship as well that way

fredie
15th December 2007, 20:48
i know some one that ships bikes all the time too an from nz too aus every week . for a few $100 each bike . i will look him up in sydney :hug:

Jantar
15th December 2007, 20:56

That is a bit different. When you leave aussie after such a short time you will need to take your bike with you or pay tax (GST and import duties) on the bike. I believe that you can only avoid those taxes if you live in aussie, and own the bike for a minimum period. If you leave before that minimum period (I think its 2 years) then taxes will apply.

fredie
16th December 2007, 01:04
Anouncement: Bike Shipping Company "Get Routed" (really) is offering to take 125 Road Race bikes FREE to NZ's South Island for the first 3 rounds of the NZ 2008 Road Race Series. Yes Free shipping.

You will have to subsequently pay for:
- 3 x race entry fees
- arange your own inter-event transport
- arange your own accomodation
- arrange your own air travel arrangements

The first 3 rounds are at Christchurch (13-14 Jan), Timaru (19-20 Jan) and Invercargil (26-27 Jan) each is a two day event, part of the NZ Superbike Series.

You'll get 2 x 25 min practices and 1 x race Saturday and 1 x 3 lap warm up and 2 x races Sunday. That's a total for the whole trip of 9 x races and 9 practice sessions, almost a years events in two weeks!

You can see the full race details and supp regs at: http://www.nzsbk.com/id14.html

Containers leave Sydney on either 8th Nov or 19th Dec, and return on 22 Feb 2008.

Obviously if this appeals to you, you'll need to move fast to secure a spot for your machine in one of these containers. Reservation forms are availble on the "Get Routed" site at: http://www.getrouted.com.au/documents/2008NZBikeShippingexSYDNEYA.pdf

THIS IS, AND WILL BE A LIFE LONG MEMORABLE TWO WEEKS, and in reality probably only cost you about $2000 all up or there abouts.

I'm sure that those that wanted too could billet with NZ racers if they wished, cutting accomodation costs. Advanced air fares are cheap if you act fast. Car/ute hire shouldn't be too much either. Accomodation and food is similiar to Australia except our dollar is currently worth about $1.18 NZ.

Race entry fees are about $220NZ including transponder, about $190AU

I'm up for it, but would like company. Who is going to come with me?

Life's short and you can't take it with you.
Neil #34

fergie
16th December 2007, 05:46
totally off topic i know but Rob Muldoon once said "kiwis that leave nz to live in Aus have the effect of raising the IQ of both countries"

Take your bike with you, enjoy it, have a bloody good time wherever you travel, cheers

jade
17th December 2007, 17:58
^ perfect answer
anybody with more information or experience I would appreciate if you post

as for that information about get routed, thats about 2 months before I wanna leave meaning my bike would be in transit for 3 months before I leave, not appealing

crashe
17th December 2007, 18:07
^ perfect answer
anybody with more information or experience I would appreciate if you post

as for that information about get routed, thats about 2 months before I wanna leave meaning my bike would be in transit for 3 months before I leave, not appealing

Go and have a chat to Kerry Jeffs over at Motohaus (09) 815 8384
Kerry D will be able to give you Kerry J's cell phone number.

Ring first to make sure when he will be there, as he is quite often overseas in Japan bringing back bikes.

He may well have a crate or two just lying around for you to have.

Kerry D owns Motohaus
Kerry J owns and runs the bike importer part of it out of Motohaus.

JMemonic
17th December 2007, 20:30
I had a look at this idea myself and found some useful info on the customs site (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4781), and the details of requirements (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing.aspx).

Have a read of those and make your decisions from there, there are ideas of the costs etc if you are moving, or you are just going to use your bike to tour.

I understand the licence issue is you can use your NZ one for up to 12 months, no international licence required.

warewolf
17th December 2007, 21:56
You should understand that in Australia transport is mostly a state-based system. You are going to NSW, so you should read up on the Roads & Traffic Authority, NSW (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/). Advice about the situation in Queensland could be completely and utterly irrelevant to NSW. They certainly have a few whacky rules up there that don't exist anywhere else in the country - and I don't just mean bike-related :Pokey: - solo motorcycle rego being one of them.

However customs and importing is a Federal department, you've already got the urls for that.

I looked long and hard at taking bikes back to Aus with me 3 years ago. It just wasn't worth it. Way too much trouble, too much expense. In NSW you need a compliance plate, or an exemption. At the time I even had a bike sold new in NZ with an Aussie compliance plate as it was stock ex-Aus bumped across to NZ (and actually traded that bike against another that also has a compliance plate, NZ-new stock ex-Aus). Still wasn't worth it. Even if you are migrating, you still have to pay the taxes inbound AND you can't get a refund on the NZ taxes because the vehicle was used here.

If you are only intending to use the bike for 3-4 months, even less worth it!! I understand you want to keep it, fine, keep it in NZ. Don't shunt it to Aus and back for merely a couple of months of use. (Unless I read your mission statement incorrectly, that you are coming back to Aus not NZ?)

The only bike I would take back to Aus is my Triumph - same as yourself, lots of blood sweat and tears in it - but it was from there so it will only cost shipping plus proof it was sold & used (therefore taxed, certified and registered) in NSW previously. It came to NZ tax-free when I immigrated, but Aus does not allow the same thing to happen in the other direction. Before anyone jumps on the Aussie-bashing bandwagon, it's swings and roundabouts: NZ won't let you import your wine cellar tax-free.

Oh, and AFAIK international licences are only issued to full licence holders (check the AA web site). They aren't really required in English-first-language countries as they are just a translation document, they are not a licence in their own right, your "home" licence must be current. Yes you see lots of advice to make sure you get one, and I have done, they might be worth something in legal terms but the bloke I hired from in Aus was much more interested in my actual NZ licence than the international one... or my still-current NSW one showing my parents' address.

Information about your licence situation will be found on the RTA web site. Note that they have the Learner Approved Motorcycle (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html) scheme over there now, all the 250cc 2T race-reps are banned, so you may not be able to ride your expensively-imported RS250 on the licence you will get!

So... have a good read of the web sites, I don't have all the references to hand but that's partly because it was all there easy to find. Feel free to ask questions if you need any 'interpretation' of the docs you find.

And good luck with the long-term plan!

fredie
18th December 2007, 00:08
contact get routed . they ship all the time . between nz ans aussie:spanking:

Titanium
18th December 2007, 13:00
Having brought a motorbike to Victoria this year, I can comment on what it took to get it here.

1. Apply to DOTARS and ask for import approval PRIOR to shipping the bike.

2. It must have a compliance plate fitted that it has been manufacured to meet the relevent Australian standard, a photograph of this plate must be sent with the application, along with the VIN number and photographs of every page of your current passport, your ownership papers and purchase and sale agreement indicating the value of the motorcycle. This whole process can take up to 6 weeks (they say 21 days, but it takes much longer).

3. Once you have been supplied an import certificate you can ship the bike.

4. Once it arrives you will have to pay GST 10% and duty 10% and any other customs and AQIS charges.

5. You must then book in for a roadworthy certificate (motorcyce shop), much more intensive than the good old NZ WOF, if you bike is not completely stock, you will not have much show of passing. Cost is about $90. I had to take out the LED tail light on the BMW K1200S and put in the stock one at the shop.

6. Once you have a roadworthy, you need to then book in to the local roading authority, $35 (or there abouts) fee applies, and you must book, can take 14 days to get an appointment. Take all your import certificates and paperwork and the value of the motorcycle that customs charged you GST and duty on.

7. They will do a REVS check (stolen, outstanding money etc).

8. They will check that the frame number and engine number match the supplied paperwork. Check that it is roadworthy (certificate). You will also have to provide 100 points of ID (passport, photo drivers licence, bank statement with residentail address where you are going to register vehicle to, credit card etc)

9. Calculate the stamp duty payable (based on the customs declared value).

10. Rego will be $500 plus OZ dollars and stamp duty is around 7% of declared value.

11. Issue with a plate.

If you are a resident in Australia, you have to obtain an Australian drivers licence in 3 months. You are not even allowed to reside interstate for more than 3 months with out having that state or territories licence. You are not able to hold more than 1 drivers licence (they will void your NZ one by hole punching the photo)

It is a LOT of fun!;)

warewolf
19th December 2007, 09:22
Good info, but again this is a different state so the costs & processes can be different to NSW. The process is in two sections; firstly importing (federal jurisdiction) and secondly road registration (state). Bizarrely the Compliance system is actually federal, but the states are not legally obliged to take heed of it.

As I read it, if you don't have an Aussie compliance plate (you can be lucky as mentioned above) then in NSW they now have a 'private import' class whereby if your bike meets the criteria in its home market, and that market is substantially the same as Aus, then it's given a special plate. Something along those lines, anyway.

One thing not yet mentioned is the NSW 'green slip' or Compulsory Third Party insurance. This covers personal injury to everyone except the driver at fault, and is around $500. You must have this to complete your registration. This is equivalent to NZ's ACC levies.

Yeah, it's fun, don't forget Aussie is one of the most bureaucratic nations on earth!

Titanium
19th December 2007, 11:18
Good info, but again this is a different state so the costs & processes can be different to NSW. The process is in two sections; firstly importing (federal jurisdiction) and secondly road registration (state). Bizarrely the Compliance system is actually federal, but the states are not legally obliged to take heed of it.

As I read it, if you don't have an Aussie compliance plate (you can be lucky as mentioned above) then in NSW they now have a 'private import' class whereby if your bike meets the criteria in its home market, and that market is substantially the same as Aus, then it's given a special plate. Something along those lines, anyway.

One thing not yet mentioned is the NSW 'green slip' or Compulsory Third Party insurance. This covers personal injury to everyone except the driver at fault, and is around $500. You must have this to complete your registration. This is equivalent to NZ's ACC levies.

Yeah, it's fun, don't forget Aussie is one of the most bureaucratic nations on earth!

The process might differ slightly, the Federal part would be the same though.

The rego portion included the $300 dollars of CTP, rego was about $250, CTP is also required in VIC.

The importation process is faster if does have compliance plate fitted (ex manufacturer) as it can be approved on that basis (manufactured to meet ADR's), rather than needing an "equivalency" plate.

If you bike has a VIN plate that states "This vehicle is manufactured to comply with the motor vehicle standards act 1989" the importation will be straight forward (Federal).

You also need to have owned the bike in NZ for 12 months.

jade
19th December 2007, 19:15
Keep the info coming boys, titaniums post makes it seem like its not worth the hassle but im still determined to make it happen, I havent had a chance to read the above posted sites but I will be able to this weekend...
Keep the posts coming, as the new year rolls round sorting my bikes transport will be my priority..
Yes I have owned the bike more than 12 months
tit - how long did the process take you from when you put it on a ship to the day it was legit ??
How long was it from when you shipped it to when It was released by customs into your possesion ??
which shipping company did you use ?

Titanium
20th December 2007, 03:12
Jade,

Applied to DOTARS early February 2007 for import approval.

Dropped bike off to shippers 15th February, shippers packed in BMW crate.

5th March 2007 import approval certificates arrived. Instructed shippers to export crated BMWK1200S

Bike shipped 21st March.

Bike arrived Melbourne docks (in a shared container) 9th April

Bike arrived cutoms clearing agent (Melbourne) 13th April

Bike Collected ex clearing agent 19th April

Roadworthy 20th April

Registration (on roads etc) 30th April 2007.

So it took 2 months from time approval was given by DOTARS.

My movers shipped it via movements international and a groupage container (shared). I was allowed to crate it with a battery (disconnected) and 1/4 tank fuel.

timpel_800
25th December 2007, 12:09
cant you just get an Carnet de Passage or just do a temporary import.

I'm having a temp import on my bike (shipped it from holland) and didnt have to pay any taxes cause i told them that i owned the bike for more then one year.

I had a bit of trouble with MAF (i'd to be steamcleaned) wich raised the costs a little and was a bugger but i didn't find it to much trouble to get te bike into nz.

Planning on going to ozzie after my year in NZ so following this topic.

The websites of the nz government where really helpfull, i'd take a look at the ozzie ones and they look pretty clear to me aswell so check them out i'd say.

Mabye i missed your point but i think just getting a carnet is the easiest way!

gd luck and a merry xmas.

tim

Titanium
25th December 2007, 12:14
cant you just get an Carnet de Passage or just do a temporary import.

I'm having a temp import on my bike (shipped it from holland) and didnt have to pay any taxes cause i told them that i owned the bike for more then one year.

I had a bit of trouble with MAF (i'd to be steamcleaned) wich raised the costs a little and was a bugger but i didn't find it to much trouble to get te bike into nz.

Planning on going to ozzie after my year in NZ so following this topic.

The websites of the nz government where really helpfull, i'd take a look at the ozzie ones and they look pretty clear to me aswell so check them out i'd say.

Mabye i missed your point but i think just getting a carnet is the easiest way!

gd luck and a merry xmas.

tim

it is all covered here http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm#carnet

I think there might be a requirement that you have to be with your vehicle for the time it is in the country.

He has indicated that he plans to be in OZ for only a few months, then leave the country, leaving his bike here, not sure he would qualify.

I am pretty sure you have to pay a bond for a carnet,

Cheers

Mythical007
25th December 2007, 12:52
You mentioned you were moving to sydney right?? mmmm I heard from one of my dad's mates across the road, who actually lives in sydney most of the time, that its quite a dnagerous thing riding in sydney cos the motorists just ain't lookin for ya

timpel_800
26th December 2007, 11:59
what's new ? they don't anywhere :(:)

fredie
7th February 2008, 01:02
im still in sydney:chase:what happened too you:blink:

jade
10th February 2008, 11:38
Post a picture of your rg500 fredie...

Mully
10th February 2008, 16:08
If you will only be using it in AU for a few months before leaving it in storage in AU and then bringing it back here after 5 years, why not leave it in storage here, go to AU, buy a shitter for a few months, then go do your OE??

Although, I shudder to think what 5 years in storage will do to a bike.

jade
11th February 2008, 18:48
ive decided that already, its going into storage here 2 mins from my house,
I probably wont get a bike over there, but will get along to phillip island in october... then watch barcelona... then valencia...
ill get a bike when I hit spain
wont be in storage 5 years, most likely a year...
get some money thrown at it to make it perfect... rape it on road and track in the summer... back into storage... back overseas... throw some money at her again... (my 750 will be my workhack, my rs will be my minta..)
Hopefully one day.. after 5 years she'l be an rs500 :) shitting on brand new bikes

fredie
10th March 2008, 00:47
:headbang:whats happening:Punk:

chrisso
19th March 2008, 13:06
Hi mate, you should have a look at Two Wheels magazine Forum, or join up--tell em Chrisso sent ya. Good Forum, just like this one but with a weird accent... Bikes are a fuck of a lot cheaper over here.Turn the light off when you leave NZ:rolleyes: