PDA

View Full Version : Auckland - best place to buy some cheap camping gear?

Orangebox
10th December 2007, 21:53
Howdy.
Where would the best place in Auckland be to buy a cheap single-skin tent and a couple of sleeping mats?
Doesn't necessarily need to be a camping shop, but I have no idea what kind of retail outlets you guys have over there - in the UK you can buy a tent in supermarkets!

Thank you!
:)

McJim
10th December 2007, 21:55
Karangahape road....shit sorry :buggerd:- wrong kind of camp...Warehouse are selling cheap tents...

fireball
10th December 2007, 21:59
it depends on what conditions you are planning on using it in...
sub alpine, alpine, is it likely to get wet, what temp it will be used in or how long you expect to keep it for

James Deuce
10th December 2007, 22:29
The Warehouse. The one I got the kids last year for Christmas is amazing. First night in it we had a thunderstorm. We didn't get wet.

McJim
10th December 2007, 22:36
The Warehouse. The one I got the kids last year for Christmas is amazing. First night in it we had a thunderstorm. We didn't get wet.

Yep - they're pretty much all like that when you pitch the tent in your living room!:rofl:

Squiggles
10th December 2007, 22:39
Hanne said theres posters up around for a "Tent sale" at the ASB showgrounds...

perhaps google this

James Deuce
10th December 2007, 22:42
Yep - they're pretty much all like that when you pitch the tent in your living room!:rofl:

Put down the shot glass and turn the computer off, peat-monkey.

swbarnett
10th December 2007, 22:54
Karangahape road....shit sorry :buggerd:- wrong kind of camp...Warehouse are selling cheap tents...
Well, actually... R&R Sport is on K Rd and wasn't too bad for price last time I was in there.

MaxB
10th December 2007, 23:37
The Warehouse is a chain of cut price stores that sells just about anything. A cheapo tent in there costs about $50. K-Mart is a similar type of store.

Rebel Sports stores have good tents from about $99.

Kathmandu is more upmarket but they have a sale on now and a small 2-person is going for $149. Just about eveything you could want is in there and it is good quality.

You will have to go to specialty stroes for Macpac, First Light, MSR etc. I am a fan of Macpac so my advice is a little biased. A good Macpac tent is about $500 but will last a long time.

There are plenty of hire places in Auckland on the net too. They may be able to supply what you need.

Hope this helps.

NighthawkNZ
11th December 2007, 06:05
The Warehouse.
K-Mart.
TradeME.
Kiwi Camping.
Great Outdoors.
Rebel Sport.
[8]Macpac.
R & R Sport.
Katmandu.
Various Caming stores through out the country...Depends on quaility, how much you are willing to spend. Look at the water rating. There is also a minimum and a maxium waterhead. In NZ a minimum waterhead of 1500mm is usually enough for most conditions.

Does depend on what you want to use it for. A cheap one at the Warehouse maybe ok for the odd weekend over summer... but it might last as long or the eventually leak in a summer shower

http://www.nzcampsite.co.nz/What_to_Look_for.124.0.html

James Deuce
11th December 2007, 06:08
The Warehouse.
K-Mart.
TradeME.
Kiwi Camping.
Great Outdoors.
Rebel Sport.
R & R Sport.
Katmandu.
Various Caming stores through out the country...Depends on quaility, how much you are willing to spend. Look at the water rating. There is also a minimum and a maxium waterhead. In NZ a minimum waterhead of 1500mm is usually enough for most conditions.

Does depend on what you want to use it for. A cheap one at the Warehouse maybe ok for the odd weekend over summer... but it might last as long or the eventually leak in a summer shower

http://www.nzcampsite.co.nz/What_to_Look_for.124.0.html

Our Warehouse one has outlasted the $400 Macpac tent by a factor of two and worse conditions to boot. It was cheap because it was made by sweatshop slaves who forgot to stick the more expensive label on.

Qkchk
11th December 2007, 06:21
Myself and Qkkid went into a store on Sunday looking for tent pegs - we are seasoned campers ourselves and we very surprised with the products on offer and they were cheap!!

Cant remember its name but its a factory shop hidden behind Harvey Norman off Croftfield Lane in Wairau Park. (If you coming from the city, take the Tristam Ave off ramp and go straight ahead (almost head back up the onramp) this is now Croftfield Lane. Turn left at the roundabout and this takes you behind the Harvey Norman center and into a car park and you should see the shop there. They make Domex sleeping bags there onsite and have plenty of camping goodies. I picked up a sweet womens microfleece jacket for $19! :niceone: I did spy tents there but not sure what sizes (werent shopping for one so didnt take any notice of them) They are open till the 24th and I think they open 9am - 4pm.

NighthawkNZ
11th December 2007, 06:25
Our Warehouse one has outlasted the $400 Macpac tent by a factor of two and worse conditions to boot. It was cheap because it was made by sweatshop slaves who forgot to stick the more expensive label on.

the word might is very important in my statement... you might also be luckly and the cheap one be the better option...

Orangebox
11th December 2007, 06:43
Thanks guys.
We just need a tent for a 3-week tour of NZ in january (in a car, mainly).
Warehouse sounds about perfect, and maybe Rebel sports for some thermarests (or similar).

Muchos Gracias.
:)

Usarka
11th December 2007, 06:46
You've got british pounds. everywhere is cheap...... :)

kave
20th December 2007, 18:45
Myself and Qkkid went into a store on Sunday looking for tent pegs - we are seasoned campers ourselves and we very surprised with the products on offer and they were cheap!!
They make Domex sleeping bags there onsite and have plenty of camping goodies. I picked up a sweet womens microfleece jacket for $19! :niceone: I did spy tents there but not sure what sizes (werent shopping for one so didnt take any notice of them) They are open till the 24th and I think they open 9am - 4pm.

The place is called Dominion Exporters, a.k.a domex

tri boy
20th December 2007, 19:33
Check out www.kiwicamping.co.nz ,it's good gear at reasonable cost. For those that wan't to risk 10hrs of hell in a rainstorm, buy from the "Warehouse". (where everything bent n broken.
When your partner, and kids are ready to murder you for buying tissue paper to sleep under, you will wish you had spent the extra $100 odd dollars.
And yes, I have owned a Wharehouse tent. F**king rubbish.:pinch:

Beemer
24th December 2007, 13:11
Don't forget, you won't need the camping gear at our place, the spare bed is ready and waiting!

The Pastor
24th December 2007, 13:17
the warehouse tents are pretty damn good. you need an extra tarp to put over the top, but theys are small and bike frendily

I wanna get one but $50 is too much, i'll wait till i can get a $30 one :D

sunhuntin
24th December 2007, 14:01
the warehouse tents are pretty damn good. you need an extra tarp to put over the top, but theys are small and bike frendily

I wanna get one but $50 is too much, i'll wait till i can get a $30 one :D

ive got a warehouse one... havent road tested it in rain yet, but when i did use it, i put the fly over the bike. my gear in the tent was fine the next day. im wanting a second fly so that i can have on the tent and another on the bike.

AngelReign
12th March 2009, 01:50
Find Coleman camping gear, camping equipment, and camping supplies. Most Coleman camping gear products in stock and ready to ship,

LBD
12th March 2009, 03:47

Don't talk drivell....my macpac mineret, 7 years old, heaps of use MC touring and the worst West coast, South Westland and Fiordland can throw at it. Bloody great wee 2 man tent. All 2.7kg of it. (mind you it was back in the Made in NZ days.)

Beemer
12th March 2009, 13:12
You guys are about 16 months too late - the lovely Jodie and Andy were here in early 2008 and have been home from their round the world trip for some time now! In fact I got an email from Andy yesterday and a link to their wedding photos.