PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else seen the irony?

DougieNZ
11th December 2007, 04:47
A wire rope barrier may have saved some lives down in the south island?

In that case would a WRB have been preferable to nothing?

Monsterbishi
11th December 2007, 06:06
It may have saved their lives in that instance, but fact is that there is always a safer option as far as barriers go for ANY instance/location of WRB use.

WRB's are like playing Russian roulette with a six shooter that's got 5 live rounds and one empty chamber. You might win once, but more often than not you'll end up with your brains splattered on the lamp shade.

yungatart
11th December 2007, 07:01
A WRB will also take lives that it is meant to save.
A concrete median will not.

MSTRS
11th December 2007, 08:24
It may have saved their lives in that instance, but fact is that there is always a safer option as far as barriers go for ANY instance/location of WRB use.

WRB's are like playing Russian roulette with a six shooter that's got 5 live rounds and one empty chamber. You might win once, but more often than not you'll end up with your brains splattered on the lamp shade.

This is an excellent analogy except it should be 5 empty/1 live. Although from the motorcyclists perspective you are on the money.
Whenever I play Russian Roulette I always make sure there are no live rounds in there at all.

DougieNZ
11th December 2007, 11:15
Hi,

Yes points taken.... I was on that road a few hours before the incident on the Chatto Creek run. I just can't get the image of those poor bikers out of my head. Enjoying a toy run one minute, then the next...

It got me thinking... if I was riding along Centennial Road and a vehicle suddenly swerved and was about to take me out head on - but was stopped by a WRB, would I feel the same about the campaign? Or would I be saying "thank goodness that WRB was there"?

MSTRS
11th December 2007, 11:18
I suspect you will be thinking "Thank god there was a barrier there". We know they stop a lot of carnage, but we also know that they should not add to that carnage.

vifferman
11th December 2007, 11:24
Who's to say that a WRB wouldn't have failed when a camper van hit it? Especially given that there wouldn't have been the specified 3m each side of it. It may in fact have added to the carnage.

madandy
11th December 2007, 11:28
If the Wire rope went right to the ground it mightn't be so bad. The thought of sliding under the 'rope' and hitting one of those steel posts puts me off my lunch :shit: They're also a bit low for us aren't they?

Coyote
11th December 2007, 11:54
I reckon they should make the wires thinner for a cleaner cut and hopefully a less painful death. Just advocate the thinner wire would be cheaper

WelshWizard
16th January 2008, 21:57
A wire rope barrier may have saved some lives down in the south island?

In that case would a WRB have been preferable to nothing?
Where is the report that it saved a life of a motorcyclist, no link, no case

sunhuntin
16th January 2008, 22:02
wire rope barriers, as im sure you know, need a 3m clearance each way, so 6m total. stick em on a 20cm wide white painted line and there aint no way that 6m clearance can exist. im thinking it wouldnt have stopped a camper, and likely would have caught up more riders. a concrete barrier, on the other hand...