PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

manuboy
3rd November 2004, 11:27
I dunno why, but i often wunder... if you took say a regular guy or gal from say... 1862 (the first gasoline powered vehicle) or even earlier, or 1867 (first motorcycle), and time travelled them to Now..... then you stuck them in a [INSERT SUPERCAR HERE] or even better, on a [INSERT YOU CHOICE OF TYRES SHREDDING SUPERBIKE HERE]... what would happen?

Would they just have a heart attack? Would their minds cope at all? Getting past the fact that they'd be owndering what the hell these "things" are made of and all those issues, what would happen when you just planted boot?

Similarly... i used to get Every Copy of Two Wheels when i was a yung-un, if you put one of them reviewers who used to Rave about the Power of the 1986 GSXR 750, and stuck them on a zx-10 or a Busa - how would the review read?

Cajun
3rd November 2004, 11:32
interesting thinking manuboy
they would say this bike is bad, no one could ride it, or something as silly as that

Marmoot
3rd November 2004, 11:54
dont be silly.....they wouldn't know how to operate the clutch, gears and the power window!

Motu
3rd November 2004, 11:56
They would probably cope better than you if you were sent 150 yrs into the future - I think you might find it more changed than than those coming forward to our age.They were very agrarian then,would most likely look up see a 747,then get back on the timber jack to load a 10ft dia kauri log behind his 8 bullock team.How do you think you would handle one of those,could you spend all day pit sawing?

manuboy
3rd November 2004, 12:07
They were very agrarian then,would most likely look up see a 747,then get back on the timber jack to load a 10ft dia kauri log behind his 8 bullock team.How do you think you would handle one of those,could you spend all day pit sawing?

Depends whether one of the Bullocks was Sandra. I would have spent all day starching my dungarees if i had that to look at.... :innocent:

Cajun
3rd November 2004, 12:10
Depends whether one of the Bullocks was Sandra. I would have spent all day starching my dungarees if i had that to look at.... :innocent:

i second that one

Marmoot
3rd November 2004, 12:35

especially 8 of them.....hell, even 2 is ok by me too!

Kickaha
3rd November 2004, 17:49
Similarly... i used to get Every Copy of Two Wheels when i was a yung-un, if you put one of them reviewers who used to Rave about the Power of the 1986 GSXR 750, and stuck them on a zx-10 or a Busa - how would the review read?

There's a quote in one of them from some guy who won the 6 hour who's name I cant quite remember regading the 1982 GSX1100,when said something along the lines of "it would be hard to build a bike better than this"
wonder what he thinks now?

Jackrat
3rd November 2004, 19:18
In 1972 I saw my first Honda CB750 and thought,it just can't get any better than this.A couple of weeks/months? later I saw a Suzuki GT 750 and was pretty much stunned.When the Vmax first came out,the shop in Tokoroa had one and I spoke to the owner about it.He mantained it was far to powerfull and people were going to die.
Even today I look at new bikes and wonder where it will end.

What's really interesting to me is that my grandfather drove Cob an Co' stage coaches between dargaville and Whangarei.He used to tell us kids storys about those days.REAL wild Maori,REAL highway men.During winter it could be a three day trip. I don't think I'd like to go back there,but I reckon he would of handled today no worrys.

badlieutenant
3rd November 2004, 20:09
They would probably cope better than you if you were sent 150 yrs into the future - I think you might find it more changed than than those coming forward to our age.They were very agrarian then,would most likely look up see a 747,then get back on the timber jack to load a 10ft dia kauri log behind his 8 bullock team.How do you think you would handle one of those,could you spend all day pit sawing?
had a go at pit sawing...........you might think its slow. It was bloody amazing how fast it is and sorta nice to zone out on the rythm.
my grandad was driving a 8 bullock team by the age of 12. Hed finished his edumacation by then. You could argue that the expectations parents had for thier kids were as high as today just in different ways......oops :Offtopic:

Motu
3rd November 2004, 20:46
Somewhere I've seen a photo of my Grandfather behind his bullock team in the Northland bush,the family still has the rewarewa dinning table and chairs he made.He was a motor mechanic and had his own garage and fleet of trucks,was Northland Champ with the axe.
My other Grandfather could breed and train horses,Rua won the Taumaranui Cup.He built a haybailer of his own design on the farm with no electricity,on the forge with my mother at the bellows.We have a photo of the house he built - after felling and milling the tree himself.
I don't think a modern motorcycle would raise an eyebrow with these guys.

Even if you took a motorcyclist from any earlier era,I don't think they would be too upset - they would be amaized at how easy they are to ride...electric starters,hydraulic cluches,on the handle bars yet! A foot gear change,intruments,even a fuel gauge! No,the modern bike is for pussies.

LB
4th November 2004, 05:12
My Dad had a team of four bullocks (Smoker, Reddy, Whisky and Star) that he broke in and used. There's a neat photo of him that we've got with the bullocks. This was in the early 1930's.

He too was from up North, Motu. And one of Dad's brothers was a champion axeman also.

Small world eh.

Jackrat: your granddad would have some interesting stories to tell I'm sure.

I don't think I would cope well with the life back then - it was bloody hard, no luxuries and devices to make work easy like we've got. Three days from Dargaville to Whangarei....we don't know how lucky we are. (serious comment)

manuboy
4th November 2004, 07:06
as if any of you can find / scan and post these old photos..!

When i started the post i was more really only thnking of the physical "shock" they'd get onboard one of these jets-with-wheels. I still think that without any previous notion or experience there'd probably be some sort of crazy reaction.

Even if you stuck them on a CR250 or something - same thing...

But i guess you can look at it a lot of ways as Motu's first post highlighted.

p.s Motu, in my time i've farmed. I had physical stress, like the old timers would have had (only less of it!). Nowadays i just suffer mainly from mental stress (work and everyday life)... and i know which one is easier to cope with - no argument. So in a lot of ways them old timers had it Sweet.

Obviously they were a lot nearer to the survival line tho.

The old Two Wheel mags - they were always foaming about the the new ZXR this and that and how it couldn't get any better. They'll be saying exactly what they were then about the bikes we have now. Like most of us, context is limited and hindsight isnt.

RiderInBlack
4th November 2004, 07:29
Mum's a local historian up here (Mangakahia, Northland), so I'll what we can do.

Granddad used to take a day to take the horse and dray into Whangarei (40Km+ of muddy track) to pick-up supplies (he'd stay over-night and come back the next day). I can do the same ride in 20-30mins on "Roxanne", but the road is tarsealed. Not even the modern 4x4's would handle the way Mangakahia Raod was back in Granddad's day.
Mum has a pic of an car with just it's back wheel showing, stuck down one of the "Pot-Holes" on Mangakahia Rd:shit: Draft-Horses were needed to get it out.

GRanddad live to see the Space Shuttle. He drove cars like a maniac (probably were our family gets their need for speed from:crazy: ).

Motu
4th November 2004, 09:27
Ok ,so we've settled that the old boys aren't gunna be too fazed by a modern bike,but I don't don't think the modern bike is a big deal.Sure they are fast,but unbelievably easy to ride - you can ride a VMax like a CB125,an over the top muscle bike that is a kitten to ride,same with an R1,dirt bikes the same,an unbelievable power spread,traction and suspension.The modern trialls bike is an extention of your brain,it would go through a section I find impossible on my TLR200 like going to the shops.They are all boggling - but not scary...

manuboy
4th November 2004, 09:58
Ok ,so we've settled that the old boys aren't gunna be too fazed by a modern bike,but I don't don't think the modern bike is a big deal.Sure they are fast,but unbelievably easy to ride - you can ride a VMax like a CB125,an over the top muscle bike that is a kitten to ride,same with an R1,dirt bikes the same,an unbelievable power spread,traction and suspension.The modern trialls bike is an extention of your brain,it would go through a section I find impossible on my TLR200 like going to the shops.They are all boggling - but not scary...

Motu, i wanna fly you down here so you can run the ruapuna training school similar to the Mercks Taupo thing which got cancelled down here due to lack of interest (or ADVERTISING!!!!) if oyu don't think an r1 is scary. Cos the bike instructor i did my defensive driving course with was trying yo get his employer to provide him an R1, but even he thought that the bike was farkin scary to ride. And the last time i rode a mates YZ250, it absolutely scared the pants off me, and that was in a dead flat open paddock. I've never ridden one since.

Seriously i know what you're saying - if you don't ride like Rossi, the R1 and its like are civil compared to early machines - the gearbox / suspension and i guess the basic bike 'mod cons' are there... am i right there?

anyway i think we might be talking at cross purposes. I say that if you grabbed one of the old-timers and stuck him pillion on an r1/zx/gsxr/whatever and straightlined it - he'd crap his cowhide pants, which i now realise is a dumb proposition, because so would 99% of the commoners (me included) who walk past my workplace every day. :rolleyes:

You're saying that these guys would take most things in their stride cos they just sorta had to cope with whatever came up if i understand you correctly...

Motu
4th November 2004, 11:19
Ok,I see where you are coming from now - yes the oldtimers would crap their pants because they've never been faster than a horse could gallop - but then I would crap my pants if made to pillion behind Rossi on his MotoGP bike,he woulld be going 10 times faster than I've been in my life.

What about 150 yrs from our own time,what will the advances be? will the performance of bikes or their equivalant been stopped in their tracks - or will there be Anakin Skywalkers piloting jet fighters as 10 yr olds?

Artifice
4th November 2004, 23:54
I think we all be workin for de gubmint by den, finking up new ways to take eachothers right to live away.

RiderInBlack
10th November 2004, 18:56
I know the "cages" it this old pic of 1920 Te Kuiti are "Tin Lizzies", but what is the bike on the left next to the power pole?

Motu
10th November 2004, 19:16
Dunno,but I'd say it was Merkin.Did they drive on the right in those days?

Jackrat
10th November 2004, 19:34
I know the "cages" it this old pic of 1920 Te Kuiti are "Tin Lizzies", but what is the bike on the left next to the power pole?

Dunno' either, but the street hasn't changed much.

RiderInBlack
27th November 2004, 17:11
After reading in the "Histroy Of The Motorbike" (by Roland Brown) about what these old boys (and girls) rode, I think they would think our modern bikes were for pussies. The book is full of info like:
Board Racing around 1911-13 done on Excelsiors, Flying Merkels, Indians and HD's reaching speeds over 161KMP (100MPH) on wooden velodromes. Many of these bikes had no brakes, no silencing, no throttle (ran flat-out and only slowed by a kill switch). The riders themselves didn't ride with much in the way of protective gear (f*ck they had huge balls back then).
Glenn Curtiss on his 4.4L Curtiss V8 shaft-dive MBike became the fastest man on earth in 1907 after riding his machine at 219.4KPH (136.36MPH) on sand (not bad if you look at what he was riding on).

Indiana_Jones
27th November 2004, 18:33
Imagine If the fuhrer made a time machine and took the tech for missles and Abrams back to 1939 with him :blink:

-Indy

The Pastor
28th November 2004, 12:17
REAL wild Maori,

It's good to see that now we have domesticated those wild Maori! They were getting a real problem..........

This entire whole topic is crazy :pinch: how on earth would anyone know?

No one does and no one will.

On another note, time travel is here, I can quite happily travel into the future, at night I go into my time travel machine and then instantly I arrive in the morning, sometime you get some visions on the trip but it works every single night........

Jackrat
28th November 2004, 14:11
It's good to see that now we have domesticated those wild Maori! They were getting a real problem..........

This entire whole topic is crazy :pinch: how on earth would anyone know?

No one does and no one will.

On another note, time travel is here, I can quite happily travel into the future, at night I go into my time travel machine and then instantly I arrive in the morning, sometime you get some visions on the trip but it works every single night........

REAL wild Maori was a term used by an old man that did the REAL yards.
The fact that most of those wild Maori were relations of mine is also not lost on me.
As for no one knowing,you really missed the boat didn't you?.
My great grand mother was a young girl in the Hawkes bay during Te Kooti's time and passed on a lot of information about the times.
Most of my family history,both Maori and Irish is on record today.To say nobody could know what it was like back then is nothing but a show of ignorance on your behalf.
Well done. :blah:

onearmedbandit
28th November 2004, 17:15
Jackrat - Although not clear, I believe RM was referring to the original topic, not the one that the thead turned into.

Jackrat
28th November 2004, 17:55
Jackrat - Although not clear, I believe RM was referring to the original topic, not the one that the thead turned into.
Not sure either mate,but I was making reference to his sarcastic use of my own comments.I just got carryed away a bit.
Ummm,as I do huh :pinch: :o

inlinefour
2nd December 2004, 20:58
dont be silly.....they wouldn't know how to operate the clutch, gears and the power window!

They were pretty resourceful in the past and it would not take em long to figure it out. :gob:

RiderInBlack
3rd December 2004, 05:40
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Marmoot
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

They were pretty resourceful in the past and it would not take em long to figure it out. :gob:Which makes them smarter than Automatic "cage" drivers, who still don't know how to operate clutch and gears:finger: :argh:

RiderInBlack
9th January 2005, 20:47
These are some Pics my Pa took of a bike collection at a private museum just out of Whangarei. Thought you guys & girls might like a look at them. Might be worth organising a KB ride to see them. What do you think?

Biff
9th January 2005, 20:55
I'm sure I read somewhere once that many a year ago there was a real belief by the medical profession that humans wouldn't be able to breathe if travelling faster that 20MPH! As such there was a real attempt by said medical hexperts to limit motorised vehicles top speeds. A bit like only allowing people to ride GC125's!

MSTRS
9th January 2005, 21:06
Wouldn't put money it - but could be a Rudge

RiderInBlack
9th January 2005, 21:32
Fu*k I need broadband. Attaching those pic was too slow!

toads
10th January 2005, 07:52
Dunno' either, but the street hasn't changed much.

this is funny and true!! lol

My step father, who is is his 70's told me he had a gokart back in the days, which was powered by a puch sgs 250 engine, he had megaphone exhausts on this thing and reckoned it went like a cut snake, the thing is, 20mph feels bloody fast sitting 3 inches off the ground eh!, I reckon it's all relative. Personally speed doesn't thrill me, but handling does, this is where the old timers would probably come into their own, cos some of the heaps of crap they had to ride/drive would have taken a lot of skill to keep on the road/track.

Riff Raff
10th January 2005, 08:15
Well I didn't have too much trouble when I travelled to the future... of course it's taking me a while to get to grips with these new fandangled motorcikkel thingies, so that's why I decided to start with the Rebel - not too much in the way of electrickery on her. But I think i've figurred it all out now - I mean I made my own time machine so I can't be too stoopid - and I'm ready to progress to a bigger, better, faster, shinier bike. Yeehaa :shake: