PDA

View Full Version : Another tyre review - Metzler M3s

Sanx
12th December 2007, 12:19
The Blade's had three sets of tyres since new. The Bridgestone BT015s it came with were pretty sticky, got up to temperature reasonably fast but lasted just 2200kms, which admittedly included two track days at Pukekohe and one at Taupo.

They were then replaced with Pilot Power 2CTs, the only tyres I've actively disliked. It's hard to describe what I didn't like them, but the best I can come up with is a total lack of feel. With most tyres, you can feel what they're doing and you get some idea of when you're reaching the limits of adhesion; with the 2CTs, there was none of that. I never, thankfully, reached the limit of adhesion on them but they lack of feel hardly inspired confidence. So, long before they were finished, another set went on. The rear still lives on my spare wheel as a drag tyre though.

I'd heard only good things about Metzler M3s so popped over the CycleTreads and got a set fitted for $520 (from memory). A hundred or so careful kms later, they got taken out for a quick thrash. Lots of feel; in fact, possibly too much feel. I don't know if this is just me, but I reckon they might have stiffer sidewalls than some other tyres as all road surfaces felt very harsh. I could feel every stone, crack and bump. I experimented a bit with tyre pressures and now run them at 35 front and rear on the road. I can't really give a worthwhile opinion of how they are in the wet, mainly as I ride like a complete donk as soon as I notice moisture.

On the track, they're superb. Lots of grip and when they do finally begin to let go, they do so progressively and smoothly. I've had a couple of moments coming out of the corner before the sweeper at Taupo. On the gas a bit early and the rear spins up and slides ... but it does so smoothly enough that it's easily recoverable. I usually drop the pressures to 30 front and rear for the track, and give them two laps to warm up. They're properly hot by the time I'm back in the pits.

They've now done three Taupo track days, one Puke test day and a total of 5500 kms. And they're still fresh. No noticeable squaring off (I commute on the bike) and plenty of tread left all over. The running elephant has well and truly gone though.

Give 'em a try, guys - you might like them.

NinjaBoy
12th December 2007, 13:00
used the BT015's and M3's and have had similiar experiences. I haven't tried out the 2CT's but have had Pilot Powers and agree they do not provide any warning before losing adhesion. I was told the 2CT's are better though.

I'm curently trying BT002's in a number of compunds on my Race/Track bike (I hardly ever go road riding anymore) and they have similar feel to the M3's. Although I'll never be able to test their longevity as I'm swappign them every 3-4 track/race days.

BASS-TREBLE
12th December 2007, 13:01
Nice review.

Can I get them for a GN too ?

jrandom
12th December 2007, 13:07
A good writeup, sir. Your comments very much match my experience with the M3s (and Pilot Powers). M3s have superb road feel, great predictability, and are sticky as. The PPs feel 'glassy' in comparison.

I'll definitely be staying with M3s from here on in (apart from buying Two Smoker's used RaceAttacks when I can get them).

Mental Trousers
12th December 2007, 13:11
I've tried Michelin's 3 times (various tyres) and each time I disliked them because of the complete lack of feel. My collarbone is proof that there's no warning before they let go :(

The Metzeler's are fantastic though. Incredible amounts of feedback from them, tons of grip, and if you want to you can slide them on purpose and do it all day long without worrying. Best tyres I've used.

Morcs
12th December 2007, 13:11
Pilot powers are the shit. On a small bike anyways...

Not sure about 2cts tho

boomer
12th December 2007, 14:08
nice work Dan.

The standard Pilot Powers, in my opinion are SHITE! soft tyre walls which feel like marsh mellow and wallow mid corner. Very uninspiring!

As for the 2ct's... i've got a set on now and for those who know me, i swear by Dunlops RR's.. unfortunately i can't get a set to balance properly on my gixxer. Soooooo the 2ct's.

they seem to last for EVER.. and i mean for ever.. the Dunlops would be goooorn burger by now.. not these. The feel is good and the grip is as good as i got on the Dunlops. They don;t fall into corners but they hold as well and when they slip they slip and grip... just ask Jay... :pinch: and i span them up coming onto the front straight... good feel and good grip !

The rears a little squared off.. probably from excessive commuting and a full on rolling burn out the length of Taupo front straight by Frenchy

thread jack ;)

White trash
12th December 2007, 15:26
Only one suggestion I could make to your review Dan (which is excelent by the way)

Buy 'em from Ian at Motorcycle Surgery, Colledge Hill (Beneath Motomail)

Devil
13th December 2007, 07:29
Yep, i'm a fan of the M3's over the powers. I found the M3's to hold their shape really well and perform excellently in all conditions. I got 13,000km out of a set (front and rear wore at the same time) including a Taupo trackday.

However!... Since finding the Bridgestone BT-002 Street, I am in heaven.
Super sticky-icky for the street and stunning when it comes time to do a trackday. They also survive my daily motorway commute incredibly well.
Got 7000km out of my last rear (changed the front at the same time, but it's still well warrantable).
Recommend!

snot
13th December 2007, 12:17
Indeed.
The Metzeler M3's are a sweet tyre, had them on my 400 and I have them on my 93 Blade too- not overly expensive either for what you get! :2thumbsup

t3mp0r4ry nzr
16th December 2007, 12:43
M3's last for friggin ages thanks in most to the deep tread depth. They are a very good, if not the best road tyre that I have used but IMHO I havent used a great variety of tyres. On the limit however they give very little warning before they let go, great feel though until you reach the point of no return, tyre issue or rider issue? maybe a bit of both. kyle

NZsarge
16th December 2007, 14:11
I find it interesting the differing opinions about tyres, I guess thats life though, I also have not had the chance to sample a great deal of different sorts of sports tyres but when I bought my bike it came with a Metzler on the front and a Michelin Macadam on the back, admitedly the Metzler would have been on there a while but after getting used to the bike I began to push the Metz a bit and found it to be a bit rubbish and it disappeared in the blink of an eye.
Upon the recommendation of the knowledgeable parts man at the shop that I had bought the bike I put on Pilot Powers front and rear and I was in awe of the difference it made to the bike and my riding too.
They lasted quite well I though and I duly went on to PP 2ct's which were also awesome but I could feel the extra grip at the edge of the tyre along with a little more confidence. I found the 2ct went off a little towards the end of life of the tyre, well more so the the standard Pilot Power and they wore quite a bit quicker too.
I have just this friday put on a Contisport attack with the rear tyre going on 2 weeks earlier, now on a matched set I can say I like these tyres too, my bike sufferers from front end issues and I found the sport attacks to be better under pressure going down hill where I had a couple of moments on the 2ct's but they gave me in all my fumbleing enough warning to back off and chill out before I found myself on my arse.
So I would use PP's again no worries but these attack's are shaping up to be pretty good now i'm getting a little more used to them.
There is so many variables in why a tyre will and wont work for the rider and for the bike. If I was to pick a tyre to recommend I would be just about ready to say Contisport Attack's but many others out there will not agree i'm sure.

Oxy
6th January 2008, 15:40
I'm running Metzelers on my Bonneville America. The rear tyre needs replacing now after 20,800 km, so they've lasted extremely well. On the down side, I've felt the rear tyre let go on a number of occasions on wet road. Causes the ol ticker to leap a bit, but I recovered each time, both traction and heart beat lol. Anyway, I'm not sure that I want Metzeler again and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with them. When the tyre let go, on each occasion I was just riding with the bit of caution that is due a wet road under normal conditions. I wasn't accelerating or braking, just cruising round the corner. Your thoughts would be welcome.