PDA

View Full Version : UK biker heading to Tauranga in January

Jon Norris
13th December 2007, 01:44
Hi all

Just a quick note to get myself known.
I am Jon Norris from Brisol UK but soon to move in January with my family to Tauranga.
The bike left UK last week and is due to arrive in Auckland about the same time.
As we know very few people in Tauranga we are quite keen to start making contacts as soon as possible.
Could anyone reccomend motorcycle clubs in the area as I generally get on with bikers.
Also if anyone knows of any building work in the area that would also be usefull.
I am a carpenter who has run his own construction company here in the UK, however I realise that I will have to realine my skillbase to Kiwi construction methods.
So if anyone would like a hardworking pom for a few months let me know.

Cheers alll.

Jon

Waylander
13th December 2007, 05:22
Building industry is a bit slow down here at the moment. But I'm sure someone will be looking for skilled carpenters. Don't know of any though.

As for meeting bikers here in Towel-ronger, SEE HERE (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24981&page=389). Always glad to have another rider in the group.

Jon Norris
13th December 2007, 05:31
Cheers mate, hopefuly say hi in person.

Kind regards

Jon

saul
13th December 2007, 05:38
Hello mate.

Plenty of friendly bikers over here:banana:

Work wise, like J said has slowed down a bit but still a fair bit on.

Be nice to met a hard working pom. :chase:

nodrog
13th December 2007, 06:57
Building industry is a bit slow down here at the moment.

Work wise, like J said has slowed down a bit but still a fair bit on.

what are you guys on about, have you not seen the 800+ house subdivison at the lakes? or the other one on pyes pa road? or the.....

not to mention all the new subdivisions at Ngongataha or Rotorua.

i work for a smallish joinery firm and we are pumping out 20 kitchens a week, and these are for brand new houses.

GJ Gardener and Generation Homes etc are always looking for chippies, qualified or labour only.

deanohit
13th December 2007, 07:19
what are you guys on about, have you not seen the 800+ house subdivison at the lakes? or the other one on pyes pa road? or the.....

Exactly what I was thinking.
Jon, theres plenty of development happening around Tauranga, you should have no problem finding work.

Make sure you come along to the Tauranga Thursday night that Waylander linked to and introduce yourself. :niceone:

Nicola W
13th December 2007, 10:20
Hi all

I am Jon Norris from Brisol UK but soon to move in January with my family to Tauranga.
The bike left UK last week and is due to arrive in Auckland about the same time.
As we know very few people in Tauranga we are quite keen to start making contacts as soon as possible.
Could anyone reccomend motorcycle clubs in the area as I generally get on with bikers.
Also if anyone knows of any building work in the area that would also be usefull.
I am a carpenter who has run his own construction company here in the UK, however I realise that I will have to realine my skillbase to Kiwi construction methods.

Cheers alll.

Jon

Hello Jon

We are also heading out to Tauranga in January and hubby is also a hard working carpenter. :D

Nicola

nodrog
13th December 2007, 10:24
whats with all these poms invading my city?

saul
13th December 2007, 18:28

not to mention all the new subdivisions at Ngongataha or Rotorua.

i work for a smallish joinery firm and we are pumping out 20 kitchens a week, and these are for brand new houses.

GJ Gardener and Generation Homes etc are always looking for chippies, qualified or labour only.

Na mate it has slowed down there is no doubt:argue:

I think I said the same thing with all the norf landers coming this way:girlfight:

Matt_TG
13th December 2007, 19:56
Welcome to KB and soon, Tauranga, Jon!

I know of a few pommie builders, and 95% of builders I know and work with are flat out. There's shitloads of work in this area, not only new homes but renovations and insurance repairs.

I could give you the name of a few companies with more work than they can handle who are always looking for keen, reliable tradesmen. PM me if you like.

Matt

nodrog
13th December 2007, 20:49
Na mate it has slowed down there is no doubt:argue:

na mate, they just arent cutting their fingers off as much.

I think I said the same thing with all the norf landers coming this way:girlfight:

what you talkin about willis? :innocent:

marty
13th December 2007, 21:55

it's to offset all the wrinklies in their hyundai getz's and kerb crawling electric scooters :)

you can pick the poms though - they're the bright pink ones after a single afternoon at the mount in the NOVEMBER sun........

one-speed
13th December 2007, 22:03
i am also in the plumbing trade and man first time in many years
it's so bloody quiet
see you when we see you

YellowDog
19th December 2007, 17:23
Hi Jon mate, good move bringing your bike over. Like mine, it has probably doubled in value! Good riding out here. I'm in Auckland however have riden down to Tauranga, which was pretty good. Police are a bit of an issue though. Speed limit is unusually low.

You'll be fine in the construction game. If Tauranga doesn't work out, elsewhere will. Lots of houses going up and it is still very cheap, so you will be able to get well established long before prices heads skywards; like the rest of the developed world. Strange 'people screwing' establishment in NZ. Any other country would have riots on the streets. Easy for Poms though, 'cos it all seems so cheap.

Good luck to you and your family and well done for getting away from that sh!thole they call the UK.

NZ is great and the Kiwis are the most honest and honourable people in the English speaking world :-)

BIGBOSSMAN
20th December 2007, 22:45
Aaah Bristol - Corn Street, Christmas steps, the Watershed and Downend Cricket club eh?
Not a bad place to come from Jon!

Enjoy Tauranga mate, it's a lovely place - glad to have you here.

BIGBOSSMAN
20th December 2007, 22:47

A quick stop over in Kazakhstan will have you realigned sharpish mate...

Youngjim
28th December 2007, 15:00
Hi Jon, and welcome to NZ.

If you want to contact any other Beema riders, especially in Tauranga you can go onto the clubs website. http://www.bmwor.org.nz/ and go to the newsletter page and it has the address of the local area rep who can fill you in on club rides etc.

Regards

Jim

moko
29th December 2007, 00:47
Be nice to met a hard working pom. :chase:

Certainly would be,place I work for has roughly 25% foreign labour,same story all over the country.My company prefers foreigners or older Brits,local youngsters are unreliable,lazy and struggle with the basic English and Maths skills required for the paperwork,bloody tragic really.

ali-s
14th January 2008, 21:48
:spudwave:

Bikernereid
21st January 2008, 07:10
Just got back from a trip to NZ and have to say the guys n gals I met from here and went on group rides with were just the best. As were so many that I have yet to meet whehn I return. I posted an add on here about looking for work and was amazed at just how kind and helpful people were.

You wont regret moving to NZ if this lot are anything to go by. Am hoping to head that way myself too. Good lucky with it all.

Hi all

Cheers alll.

Jon