PDA

View Full Version : Touring Vietnam

Bend-it
14th December 2007, 03:37
Heya folks! I've been pretty quiet over the past few months as we are currently in Asia, travelling around, visiting orphanages, humanitarian aid situations etc... Pretty cool time! We're currently in Northeast India for 2 weeks. The gruntiest thing I've ridden thus far is a 1 horse-power beast named "Rado" (see pic)

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I'll be biking around North Vietnam for 5 days from Dec 27th - 31st, starting in Hanoi, heading out to Din Bien Phu (by train to Lao Cai, then on to DBP on bike), and then riding back to Hanoi.

Has anyone actually done this? How are the roads? What's the weather like? Websites say the top speed people manage is about 40kph, is that true? Any other 1st hand info you can share? I've looked at dozens of websites, so don't worry about posting links.

Thanks!

skidMark
14th December 2007, 03:55
Heya folks! I've been pretty quiet over the past few months as we are currently in Asia, travelling around, visiting orphanages, humanitarian aid situations etc... Pretty cool time! We're currently in Northeast India for 2 weeks. The gruntiest thing I've ridden thus far is a 1 horse-power beast named "Rado" (see pic)

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I'll be biking around North Vietnam for 5 days from Dec 27th - 31st, starting in Hanoi, heading out to Din Bien Phu (by train to Lao Cai, then on to DBP on bike), and then riding back to Hanoi.

Has anyone actually done this? How are the roads? What's the weather like? Websites say the top speed people manage is about 40kph, is that true? Any other 1st hand info you can share? I've looked at dozens of websites, so don't worry about posting links.

Thanks!

awwwww u gotta pony.:dodge:

can't help ya dude but good luck...hmm 5am i better like err sleep soon.

kevfromcoro
14th December 2007, 04:18
Was just talking to a friend of mine who has just done 14 days in viet-nam.
It was an organised bike tour,,run by a couple of Aussies.
He said it was great...cheap. and the weather was perfect.
I know the max. cc. for a bike is 175.also the speed was on the trip was only 40 to 50kph...keep your wits about yourself when riding.as in most asian countries ..size rules.
Have a good ride...hope to do viet-nam myself one day.
Will give my friend a ring latter ..and see if can post up a more imfo....

Bend-it
15th December 2007, 03:26
Cool, thanks kev!

gunnyrob
15th December 2007, 06:43
Ooooh you lucky bugger! We went to Ho Chi Minh City last year with the Navy & it was fantastic. The traffic is insane, but if you can cope with the traffic (like india) you'll be fine. Prices are dirt cheap (8 kiwi's fed ourselves stupid & had 3 rounds of beers for $35 at a street stall.)

Vietnamese are only just starting to see how much tourism can bring in, so will bend over backwards to help.

It will pay to check on driving laws, didn't see many big (over 200cc) bikes, but lots of cheap scooters from China.

pritch
15th December 2007, 21:10
Did a tour there once, a while ago now. No bikes though, mostly on foot with the odd chopper ride.

Times change but I still think it'd pay to stick to the beaten track.:whistle:

PS If you see Sean Flynn say, "Hello".:sherlock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Flynn

Bend-it
18th December 2007, 10:08
Ooooh you lucky bugger! We went to Ho Chi Minh City last year with the Navy & it was fantastic. The traffic is insane, but if you can cope with the traffic (like india) you'll be fine...

Yeah, I've been to HCM and Hanoi before and know what you mean about the traffic! Worse than India actually! And better in some ways. Very strange place, India, that is... Anyway...

Times change but I still think it'd pay to stick to the beaten track.:whistle:

PS If you see Sean Flynn say, "Hello".:sherlock:

Sure thing! Although wikipedia, the source for all knowledge, says he's 6-ft under in Cambodia... I'll keep an eye out though. :woohoo:

Crisis management
18th December 2007, 10:21
I know Mike Britton runs organised trips thru Vietneam on bikes, he may be open to giving advice if you contact him directly at www.adventurerides.co.nz

When I looked at riding there I thought it was ok (by asian standards) and there is a heap of unexplored spaces to poke around in....watch out for unexploded ordinance tho!

Latest news there was helmets are now compulsory - huge fines being handed out ($10?)

Go for it, it can't hurt too much.

walkabout
18th December 2007, 18:00
I 've toured both North and South, great bike riding and roads good. Do not hit a local, if you do and there is a crowd don't wait for introductions, scarper. Yes, the road speeds are restrictive and the road rules while they work (for locals) take some getting used to specially in built up areas.
Locals are great to mix with and livings cheap.

surfer
18th December 2007, 20:45
Do not hit a local, if you do and there is a crowd don't wait for introductions, scarper. Yes, the road speeds are restrictive and the road rules while they work (for locals) take some getting used to specially in built up areas.
Locals are great to mix with and livings cheap.

Agree with this, never get involved in a scrap as you will have a crowd fighting you and it won't be nice. Smile a lot and don't lose your temper or you will lose face and be surrounded by a mob. Be prepared to pay bribes or scarper real fast if you run foul of the law.

Otherwise ferkin hot and humid, and cheap. So long as you ar polite and smile is ok.