PDA

View Full Version : Not bike related - Crayfish

Cuban
14th December 2007, 12:19
How to catch these little bastards with your hands, went snorkelling last night, saw a few, but couldnt get close enough to grab em!!

Any tips!?!

Cheers

0arbreaka
14th December 2007, 12:23
Have you ever done free diving? best advice is to hold your nose and preasurise your ears, kind of of like when your ears pop when your on a plane, thatll help you get heaps deeper. Might pay to take a cray bag and a glove if you actually manage to get some. If that dosent work then get some scuba gear.

Cuban
14th December 2007, 12:25
yeah, was doing that, and can get down relatively deep, its approaching the cagey little bastards that stumps me! Practice makes perfect no doubt...need to get neutral with a weight belt tho i think...

NotaGoth
14th December 2007, 12:29
Put your finger under their tail, works every time.

Colapop
14th December 2007, 12:32
Best to be smooth and slow in your approach. Stirring shit up up only give them a chance to --->
Manouvre your hand to within about 6 inches away (any closer and they'll gap) make sure your arm is bent so that you can make a quick grab at the shell around theyes or base of their feelers. Basically sneak up on them!

007XX
14th December 2007, 12:34
A better way would be to have one of them crayfish grabbing device thingy...

Popularly known as crayfish noose apparently...

Just slide it gently above the crayfish when in its hole, then twist it so the noose goes around the crayfsh's tail and then pull it so it closes around the beastie...

then pull it out of its hole. It takes a little bit of practice and you've got to be fairly quick, but that's my favourite way of doing it.

Colapop
14th December 2007, 12:37
then pull it out of its hole. It takes a little bit of practice and you've got to be fairly quick, but that's my favourite way of doing it....
Hmmm... you sure about that??

007XX
14th December 2007, 12:40
Hmmm... you sure about that??

About what? It being my favourite way, or that you got to be quick about it?

:lol:

Colapop
14th December 2007, 12:43
At the risk of taking this thread off topic (easy with you around) I would suggest that taking your time and it being your favourite way could be debated... :shutup:

007XX
14th December 2007, 12:47
At the risk of taking this thread off topic (easy with you around) I would suggest that taking your time and it being your favourite way could be debated... :shutup:

Now why would I take a thread off topic??? :eek: You big meanie...:bleh:

I was actually quite serious...Back in New Caledonia, this is how we used to get crayfish...However, back then I didn't smoke and could stay under for over 2 minutes... But still, it has to be my fav way...I don't like the idea of getting my hand in the hole :innocent:

sunhuntin
14th December 2007, 12:53
*snigger*..

0arbreaka
14th December 2007, 13:04
You could just be a lazy bastard and put a cray pot or two down, thats always worked for me..

P38
14th December 2007, 16:30
Having caught one or two crays in my time, here's my favourite method (but not the only one I use).

Being right handed I use my left hand to get their attention, They can feel the heat from your hand,
Move the left hand close to their feelers, but not too close, 200mm from the end of their feelers is ok.
They will come out a little to better get an idea of what you are
Thats when you come down quickly with your right hand and grab for the Carpice (body)
If your timing is a little off you still got a chance for a hold on their horns that way.
Practise, Timing and Patience is everything.

Neautral bouyancy is a must.

If you rush it you'll miss.

I tried a cray noose, they ok if the crays are deep in a creavas but they do tend to get tangled in the weeds and can be a pain.

I'm a scuba diver so gettin crays is easier for me than free diving.

I got a 4kg monster off Whrinaki beach last year using this method.
He was in 8m of water on a small but well stocked mussel reef (Favourite secret location).

Northern Rock, Pania Reef is like shopping in a supermarket at this time of year. but it's in 18m about 10km's off the beach so need a boat and some Scuba Gear/Training to get em. Apopular spot too so can be lots of divers in the water too

Where are you diving?

Have you thought of doing an open water scuba course?

Good luck an keep trying.

civil
15th December 2007, 07:32
When go for the grap aim for the back of the tail, not the head. Have the palm of your hand facing up or under their legs so that when you grap you are pushing past their legs. A cray will always go back and so if you are aiming for their tail then it will come back into your hand or at least you will get more of a hold than a piece of a feeler that goes snap!!!

Practice, and dont forget to pick up the broken off legs if you do miss, they are yummy.

McJim
15th December 2007, 08:05
Pfft. Just get them out of the tank at Kelly Tarleton's - they don't move too much there. :rofl:

Cuban
15th December 2007, 12:05
Nice, cheers fellas, I'll be giving it all a whirl this arvo,

I do have my dive ticket but havent dived in a while and don't have a boat. If any Naki locals wanted to be charitable and take me out I'd be only too happy!

Will post with results of this afternoons plundering!

EJK
15th December 2007, 12:23
Best to be smooth and slow.........

Why? Can they swim fast?

dino3310
15th December 2007, 12:33
Best to be smooth and slow in your approach. Stirring shit up up only give them a chance to --->
Manouvre your hand to within about 6 inches away (any closer and they'll gap) make sure your arm is bent so that you can make a quick grab at the shell around theyes or base of their feelers. Basically sneak up on them!

what he sez and watch your shadow,noose is good 4 a creavas or hole,
practice dosent make perfect but it wiill up your chancesi

Colapop
15th December 2007, 13:15
Why? Can they swim fast?
Yes. They can. Quite fast. Backward.

Cuban
15th December 2007, 19:19
This afternoon's effort...

Total crayfish caught: 0

Total crayfish seen : 0

Bad Vis, and am starting to doubt the rumour that the breakwater here harbours the little critters...

Freebird
15th December 2007, 19:25
Very interesting thread :yes:
I'm keen to try catching some of these tasty little buggers :yes:
anyone know where in the Wellington - Mana area would be a good place to try
Cheers

Colapop
15th December 2007, 19:40
Those that know where very rarely say. Tis a plundered resource y'see.

The best place to look is where it is rocky and inaccessible....

tri boy
15th December 2007, 19:50
Crayfish? Overrated IMHO.
Nth Western Mud Crab caught out of the mangroves, yum!
Buggars will lop a couple of fingers off given half a chance. :eek:

Dave-
15th December 2007, 21:45
pfft

real men snorkel for krakken.

we then consume them while under water, using their own beaks to cut them up.