PDA

View Full Version : Club Ride - Saturday 22 December. Recommended for learners

Squiggles
15th December 2007, 08:55
Saturday Ride for Learners
Dates: 22nd Dec 2007 (Sat), Rain date is Sunday
Who: All are welcome, however we are targeting those who would like to gain more experience in group and open road riding, silly shit will not be tolerated.
Where: TBA, Most likely northbound, approx 200-250km
Time: Meet at 10am, University gym, depart 10:30/45

Notes: This will be the first of, hopefully, monthly rides to help those in the club who have not had much experience on the open road, or in riding in groups. The emphasis will be on going at your own pace, becoming accustomed to the road and just general good riding practices (spacing, cornering...).

There will be more experienced riders among the others, and if riders are having troubles they can discuss these with them at the next stopping point, then try and put into practice what they have learnt. There is no rush, quite often you will fine you learn better when hanging back and cruising, all turns will be marked and nobody will be left behind.

Pre-ride check: It's come to my attention that some of the bikes coming on the rides are lacking in the maintenance department (chains just about jumping off, tyre pressures way too low, useless brakes). Everyone coming should have a thorough look over their bike, and correct any issues before the ride. We will also take a quick look over them before departure. If its not road worthy it aint coming.
That said, i can probably help most people on friday if they want to adjust chains and so forth, number is below.

Contact person: Myself (Stephen) on 0212685528, email: sdod021@ec.auckland.ac.nz

Calendar event with signup is here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1501)

motorbyclist
15th December 2007, 15:06
sounds good!

but can i add just one bit?

GEAR: bring all the gear you've got - it wont help you if it's at home (so why buy it and not wear it), and beleive me i'd rather you get hot and sweaty than have to pull the first aid kit out. rides are the one place you have no excuse not to be wearing all the gear you have, and if you ask there are many people (including myself) with spare gear they will lend you. - if you are wearing shorts jandals and a t-shirt without gloves and only an old helmet with no visor i tell you now you need to borrow some gear and buy a visor cause roadrash is not nice and bees/stones bloody hurt when they enter a helmet, especially on open road.

ride safe guys!

ital916
15th December 2007, 16:35
Hey count me in! I'll definately be there. I'll bring my back protector this time adds a lot of back support on long rides. Oh on a help note anyone want to show me how to lube my bike chain next sat/fri? lol At the mo i'm trying to figure out how to put air in my rear tire with it's stupid new cap on lol Put air in the front today, well it was at the right level anyway.

crashe
15th December 2007, 16:44
Hey count me in! I'll definately be there. I'll bring my back protector this time adds a lot of back support on long rides. Oh on a help note anyone want to show me how to lube my bike chain next sat/fri? lol At the mo i'm trying to figure out how to put air in my rear tire with it's stupid new cap on lol Put air in the front today, well it was at the right level anyway.

I think there are a few threads on 'How to lube your chain'

Do you have a paddock stand?
If yes - use that and DONT turn on the bike and put your bike into gear.
Reason: you will loose a finger of two.....

If No - then do what I do..... have enough driveway.
Spray on the lube on the chain that you can see.
Roll the bike forward about 6 to 8 inches.
Spray the chain you can see....
REPEAT that over and over until the chain is all lubed.

But wait there is more.............

Best to lube the chain when it is warm - like just after a wee ride.

Then park up the bike for the night and let it all settle.

Otherwise if you go for a ride straight away..... you will spin all the fresh lube,off the chain.

This way only takes a few minutes longer than if it is up on a paddock stand....

Or if you have someone holding the bike over with the back wheel off the ground...... and you spin the back wheel by hand and spray the chain all at the same time.

Good luck and lube your chain every 500kms and then at 3000kms clean the chain with kero to remove all the crap and relube the chain.

Tyre: Do you not have enough room to get the air hose onto the air valve thingee on your rear wheel?
There is a wee contraption that you can buy from a bike shop that you put onto the valve and then attach the airhose to pump up the tyre. Cost approx $10
I have one that I have to use on my rear wheel as well.
I carry it in my jacket pocket at all times.......

Squiggles
15th December 2007, 16:54
That said, i can probably help most people on friday if they want to adjust chains and so forth, number is below.

Contact person: Myself (Stephen) on 0212685528, email: sdod021@ec.auckland.ac.nz

You know where i live :) Txt and ill reply with if im around, get that chain nice and clean before relubing, and check shes good for slack (ya saw us doing a quick adjustment today) I clean and lube after every good ride on the TL, every couple of weeks when i commute on the gn's

Will send the email out about this ride in a couple of hours

motorbyclist
15th December 2007, 17:14
DONT turn on the bike and put your bike into gear.
Reason: you will loose a finger of two.....

or the bike goes for a short ride without you until it either hits something or eventually falls over:doh:

actually, i've never thought about losing fingers, but i've learnt the hard way that my dirtbike has way too much torque to have running without a rider on it even with the clutch all the way in (deliberately so) and will travel a fair way without a rider and at a fair pace too:pinch:

crashe
15th December 2007, 17:16
or the bike goes for a short ride without you until it either hits something or eventually falls over:doh:

actually, i've never thought about losing fingers, but i've learnt the hard way that my dirtbike has way too much torque to have running without a rider on it even with the clutch all the way in (deliberately so) and will travel a fair way without a rider and at a fair pace too:pinch:

There are a couple of pictures on KB of a KBer who did that and made a hell of a mess with his finger......

motorbyclist
15th December 2007, 17:46
yeah i bet. dunno how i never considered it... though i do keep fingers/hair well clear of wheels at all times...

they guy i bought my dirtbike off lost the flesh/nail of the tip of his middle finger loading it onto a ute. he and a mate were lifting it by the forks and when the front whel rolled into the ute tray he found his finger was in the brake disc "spokes", which then got sheared off by the brake caliper at painfully low speed:eek5:

Ragingrob
15th December 2007, 17:54
Count me in too guys :2thumbsup, had a great day today!

Squiggles
15th December 2007, 18:28
Calendar event with signup is here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1501)

ital916
15th December 2007, 20:59
I reckon this upcoming saturday im gonna work on weight shifting aye, cos those corners tha tighten up on you really are scary! lol i now trust the bike that it wont fall so its all sweet.

MGST
16th December 2007, 08:17
I will really try to make this ride and meet you guys. BTW, what is a good tyre pressure for a 250cc bike, front and back? I know about cager tyre pressures, but not bikes. Otherwise I'm all good, even got a new wof and reg. Cheers

babyblade250rr
16th December 2007, 08:51
perhaps i may come along for a pootle too!

crashe
16th December 2007, 09:45
I will really try to make this ride and meet you guys. BTW, what is a good tyre pressure for a 250cc bike, front and back? I know about cager tyre pressures, but not bikes. Otherwise I'm all good, even got a new wof and reg. Cheers

Tyre pressure - Depending on what type of bike you are riding.... and the type of tyre..... plus how heavy you weigh.......

Also if you take a pillion that alters the air pressure too.

So do you happen to have a manual, as it will state in the manual what the recommended pressure should be.....

If not maybe do a google search on your bike and see what you can come up with.....

Or ring around a few bike shops and see what they recommend.

Tip: If you find that you are running too wind on the corners all the time...... go and add more air in.

xwhatsit
16th December 2007, 12:26

GB250 (nice choice, dude :niceone:) would probably benefit from approximately 32psi front, 34psi rear. 18" spoked wheels and all that. A bike like yours (and mine) isn't very sensitive to tyre pressures, so you won't notice when it goes 1psi out (like the supersports riders swear), but try and keep it around that.

ital916
16th December 2007, 17:11
Was thinking that since i ride every sat that i'm just gonna turn up at the gym every sat. If people wanna cruise and if rides are already organized thats sweet. But this way theres no confusion. If people are wondering if anybody will be at the gym every sat..drider will be there. Unless i post that i'm busy lol Is it just me or is riding a bike bloody addictive!

Ragingrob
16th December 2007, 18:34
12pm each time D?

ital916
16th December 2007, 20:48
yup twelve pm each time dude. If an earlier start is happenin i'll post up. Man my bike is playing up at the moment.

Ragingrob
16th December 2007, 21:05
Yeah? What's it up to? Indicators working yet? Check out the pics under the bodywork forum of my bike, sprayed it tonight!

motorbyclist
16th December 2007, 21:24
yup twelve pm each time dude. If an earlier start is happenin i'll post up. Man my bike is playing up at the moment.

what sort of playing up?

dont want your bike to blow up on you - can be very expensive

klyong82
16th December 2007, 22:20
Yeah Suzuki engines tend to blow up :bleh: muahaha just like Squiggles TL that is why he bought another engine..... :cool:

HungusMaximist
16th December 2007, 23:02
Yeah Suzuki engines tend to blow up :bleh: muahaha just like Squiggles TL that is why he bought another engine..... :cool:

Haha..... :clap:

motorbyclist
16th December 2007, 23:10

to be fair the FXR seems very well built... so they can get it right atleast once:lol:

can't beat the gear-driven-cam engines from honda for reliability though:first:

breakaway
17th December 2007, 00:03
I reckon this upcoming saturday im gonna work on weight shifting aye, cos those corners tha tighten up on you really are scary! lol i now trust the bike that it wont fall so its all sweet.

Don't "WORK" on anything IMO. Just get out there and ride. Everything will fall in place naturally. Don't conciously try to be learning anything. Relax, go at a speed that is comfortable for you.

2c etc

ital916
17th December 2007, 05:02
I'm spending too much fixing little bits going wrong with my bike. Grr :angry2:, both headlights have gone and my indicators still play up. Hmmm i'm gonna have to source some light bulbs and figure out the indicators. Will have to take the fairing off to replace the headlight unit though sigh. Oh well.

ital916
17th December 2007, 15:38
Well looks like i'll be able to make the ride on sat. Got some replacement bulbs having them put in tomorrow, and having my indicators fixed properly this time. Mt eden didn't do it properly last time so yeah they should do it for free i reckon! Anyway i'll be there on sat destroying the ozone layer with you guys. Since my bike is such an environmental hazard i was thinking of sprucing her up a little...baby seals for a new seat cover and ebony wheels made from endangered albino rhinos lol *jokes*

MGST
17th December 2007, 15:53
Tyre pressure - Depending on what type of bike you are riding.... and the type of tyre..... plus how heavy you weigh.......

Also if you take a pillion that alters the air pressure too.

So do you happen to have a manual, as it will state in the manual what the recommended pressure should be.....

If not maybe do a google search on your bike and see what you can come up with.....

Or ring around a few bike shops and see what they recommend.

Tip: If you find that you are running too wind on the corners all the time...... go and add more air in.

I got a Honda 250 naked bike ( see profile ). I ride around town mostly. I got Michelin A39 90/90-18 tyre on the front wire wheel and Avon Roadmaster AM21 110.90-18 on the back wire wheel - just ordinary tyres, round and black, nothing flash. I weigh 76kgs all kitted up, don't carry pillion ( only got restricted licence :( ). Someone here reckoned 32 front and 34 rear :confused:

HungusMaximist
17th December 2007, 19:40
^ Yeah you can ring up all you want and get other people opinion but nothing beats your own damm feeling. The 32 / 34 rule is just a friggin rule, ride it with different pressures and play around until you feel it's right.

Yea you might feel a little dangerous but it sure better knowing the truth yourself than piggy backing on somebody else's rant.

ital916
17th December 2007, 20:09
I follow the manual aye, 28 front and 28 rear and she's not too bad on those, mind you i ride around on hoola hoops lol

Ixion
17th December 2007, 20:28
Sigh. when will you noobs learn that on a bike, smaller tyres mean BETTER road holding and handling. It's not a car !

Cr1MiNaL
17th December 2007, 20:52
Sigh. when will you noobs learn that on a bike, smaller tyres mean BETTER road holding and handling. It's not a car !

not entirely true, broader tires mean more surface on the tarmac and more sidewall grip... or so I believe. Otherwise racers would be using 120 tires on the front and rear... broader the profile, steeper the tire and softer the tire better the grip on extreme angles... this is my understanding.

On that note I might come along and offer a few tips on what not to do...:mellow:

klyong82
17th December 2007, 20:56
Broader tires are more stable on bigger bikes too.

EJK
17th December 2007, 21:01

not entirely true, broader tires mean more surface on the tarmac and more sidewall grip... or so I believe. Otherwise racers would be using 120 tires on the front and rear... broader the profile, steeper the tire and softer the tire better the grip on extreme angles... this is my understanding.

On that note I might come along and offer a few tips on what not to do...:mellow:

For a second I was saying "Oh really?! WOW!" :shit:

but after R6's post, "Awww..." :yawn: lol

Yep, indeed thin tyres have less traction (IMHO).

Ixion
17th December 2007, 21:12

Nope.This is THE hardest myth in motorcycling to dispel. Damn cagers taking up bikes. The reason racers have big tyres is because they need that width to handle the torque they're putting through the rear tyre. But if you don't have that sort of torque (and a two smoker ain't) a big rear tyre is a negative. The broader the tyre the worse your handling and roadholding. Go look at the lean angles 50cc racers get on.

Think about it. suppose you fitted a big wide car tyre to your bike rear. Now imagine leaning that big wide flat tyre into a corner. Nope, not going to work, is it. But, the wider the tyre , the FLATTER it has to be (unless you had really wierd tyres that were huge doughnuts -even then there are side wall limitations).

The ideal motorcycle tyre has a perfectly hemispherical cross section. The wider the tyre, the flatter it has to get and the further it moves away from the ideal

If you are putting 150bhp through the tyre, you don't have any choice. You have to have the width to cope with the torque and accept the negative .

If wide tyres were good for handling, crusiers would outhandle sprotsbikes. Go look at their tyres. Big, eh? And racers would fit crusier tyres.

A bike's not a car. it doesn't handle wel with car tyres on it.

Cr1MiNaL
17th December 2007, 21:16
Shall come back to u tomoro Ixon... I don't agree but with everything u said but need sleep atm... nite.

ital916
18th December 2007, 06:07
Noted and learnt Ixion, thank you for allowing this noob to learn more about motorcycles.

Ixion
18th December 2007, 08:40
Couple more thoughts for anyone still unconvinced that wide tyres are at best a necessary evil.

Take a look at the rear tyre of a sprots bike (one with a big tyre). Squinch down so your head is at ground level. Take a look at just how much of that wide tyre is actually touching the ground (hold the bike upright). You'll find that at most maybe one inch of the width is actually touching (unless the bikes got a flat tyre). Now imagine making the tyre half its width. How much tyre would then be touching the ground? Yep, exactly the same amount. lean the bike over if you want, you'll still have exactly the same amount touching.

Still reckon that wide tyres give better cornering grip? Well, go take a look at the front tyre. Much narrower, isn't it? So, you're saying that designers would deliberately make a bike where the front tyre had much less cornering grip than the rear tyre? I'd be shit scared to ride such bike if that were true. For one thing, the extra grip at the rear would never be any use, cos the front would break away and lowside before you got to use it, and secondly, a front wheel slide is a real BadThing. if wide tyres really gave more cornering grip, you'd have a bigger front tyre than rear.

Ixion
18th December 2007, 08:41
Noted and learnt Ixion, thank you for allowing this noob to learn more about motorcycles.

On a motorcycle, learning is the key to survival. You have one of the best handling motorcycles on the road, it will go through corners faster than any 600 or 1000, given a skilled rider. There are guys on this site like Mr Two Smoker who have proven that. You just need to learn to ride it.

Cr1MiNaL
18th December 2007, 18:23
Ok heres what I don't agree with :

Go look at the lean angles 50cc racers get on.

So ur saying Moto Gp racers get less lean than 50 cc pootlers? I doubt it... ref: attachment.

Think about it. suppose you fitted a big wide car tyre to your bike rear. Now imagine leaning that big wide flat tyre into a corner.

were comparing apples with oranges here a car and a bike cannot be compared for purposes of making ur point... A jet aeroplane has small wheels but still goes faster than a bike with larger wheels..? catch my drift?

If wide tyres were good for handling, crusiers would outhandle sprotsbikes. Go look at their tyres. Big, eh? And racers would fit crusier tyres.

This has nothing to do with the tires its how the bikes are built, aerodynamics, power delivery etc...

A bike's not a car.

!!!!

Cr1MiNaL
18th December 2007, 18:38
Take a look at the rear tyre of a sprots bike (one with a big tyre). Squinch down so your head is at ground level. Take a look at just how much of that wide tyre is actually touching the ground

Nope actually barely 1 inch touches the ground when my tire is new but when its leant over a lot more 2-3 inches? touch the ground.

Still reckon that wide tyres give better cornering grip?
Yup a v experienced racer told me so.

Well, go take a look at the front tyre. Much narrower, isn't it? So, you're saying that designers would deliberately make a bike where the front tyre had much less cornering grip than the rear tyre?

No what Im saying is that thinner tires tend to tip in faster than fat tires. If the front was fat and the rear was the same good luck trying to tip the bike into a corner. Thin tires r less stable, answer me this what gives more often the front or the rear?

For one thing, the extra grip at the rear would never be any use, cos the front would break away and lowside before you got to use it
I rest my case, front tires = thinner = less stable = more bins resulting from front giving.

ital916
18th December 2007, 19:33
My rear gave twice, my front gave once today but thats a whole different story. In the end tires are my enemy! lol sigh

Squiggles
18th December 2007, 20:14
Nope actually barely 1 inch touches the ground when my tire is new but when its leant over a lot more 2-3 inches? touch the ground.

I suspect that'll be the design of the tyres you're running
Some of this may be of relevance:

Area Under Cornering
Another aspect to this is of course the tire cross-sectional profile. The old Dunlop triangular racing tire, for example, was designed to put more rubber on the road when leant over, so even without tire distortion the contact patch area increased, simply by virtue of the lean angle.

See also the attached image which comes straight from Bridgestones Basic tire introduction http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/pdf/mcintroe.pdf

No what Im saying is that thinner tires tend to tip in faster than fat tires.
So more responsive? i.e. better handling?

Thin tires r less stable, answer me this what gives more often the front or the rear?

Now that is irrelevant, the front doesnt have your twitchy throttle control playing havoc on the forces exterted on it

traction is a function of downforce on the contact patch and the friction of the road surface. Therefore the 110 and the 180 have the same traction, just that the 110 has more lbs-per-sq-in on its contact patch then the 180.

now that i've picked out random points for both sides but not actually bother to look deeper (first year style essay ftw) :lol: :lol:, lets take it to another thread and keep this clean! :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
18th December 2007, 20:28
A jet aeroplane has small wheels but still goes faster than a bike with larger wheels..? catch my drift?

jets have HUGE wheels, just small relative to the size/mass.. but i'm sure we get your drift

So more responsive? i.e. better handling?

better handling will corner faster too...

both ixion and raj are wrong here, so unless they want to get their facts straight i agree with squiggles - new thread for that stuff

well now that i've had my say in the matter:bleh:

klyong82
18th December 2007, 23:25
:corn: interesting topic. I am always learning something new each day

babyblade250rr
19th December 2007, 11:49
im going mountain bike tyres lol:woohoo:

Squiggles
19th December 2007, 18:00
Route not decided completely yet, but i'd like to come back near to warkworth and drop off there (got an early christmas thing there)

Macstar
20th December 2007, 11:32
Good to see the signed up rider numbers is rising. I am trying to make this one Squiggles (happy to be TEC), just working a few things out that are also going on this weekend.

Ragingrob
20th December 2007, 16:50
I'm in Epsom tomorrow Squiggles to do some work, shall I just give ya a text to check you're home before I pop round to check on my bike? The main thing is the chain, I'm gonna look at the manual I have on cd now and see if I can sort it out... But though since I'm in there tomo anyway I could just give you a quick look to check?

Squiggles
20th December 2007, 18:26
I'm in Epsom tomorrow Squiggles to do some work, shall I just give ya a text to check you're home before I pop round to check on my bike? The main thing is the chain, I'm gonna look at the manual I have on cd now and see if I can sort it out... But though since I'm in there tomo anyway I could just give you a quick look to check?

yeh, drop by, Dushy's coming round so we can try and sort this headlight bulb. I'll knock off from work early afternoon :)

P.s. This IS an open invite to all to come round :wari:

ital916
20th December 2007, 20:05
Hey thanks for your help today stephen she's riding good at the mo i didn't push her too hard on the way home! Let's just hope the rear is in one piece tomorrow aye lol She's testing me aye feisty little biatch that she is.

Squiggles
21st December 2007, 12:03
forecast is looking good for tomorrow :cool:

Ragingrob
21st December 2007, 12:32
I've fucked my back today ay... Will still be there for tomorrow as long as I'm ok, can barely walk right now so we'll see.

ital916
21st December 2007, 18:43
Ouch hope your alright to ride but don't push it dude! Hope you make it though last ride with ya was great!

Cr1MiNaL
21st December 2007, 23:48
Time: Meet at 10am, University gym, depart 10:30/45

there is some confusion to where the gym is.. im not v affluent with the ins and outs of Auck Uni to be quite honest, does someone want to meet me somewhere around the uni before we head off ??? ... last time I came noone was there...:spanking:

ital916
22nd December 2007, 06:18
hey dude just do a run down symomds street at ten am and you'll see a bright rg150. If its munted on one side and mint on the other it's me. Plus i'll be wearing a giant orange vest. Or just pm me and i'll meet ya and ride somewhere nearby and ride in with ya.

Ragingrob
22nd December 2007, 07:07
Sweet my backs alright, still a bit tweaky but all good. See ya there guys! Where I am the weather's perfect with no wind :P

MGST
22nd December 2007, 07:55
there is some confusion to where the gym is.. im not v affluent with the ins and outs of Auck Uni to be quite honest, does someone want to meet me somewhere around the uni before we head off ??? ... last time I came noone was there...:spanking:

The gym is on Symond Street aproximately halfway between Grafton Road / Alfred Street and Wellesley ( sp? the street where AUT is) street. Straight across the road from the flying saucer at the main door of School of Engineering. See you all soon.

Macstar
22nd December 2007, 08:27
Anyone bringing coffee and muffins or do I need to get some breakfast now?

motorbyclist
23rd December 2007, 09:59
howd it go?

Ragingrob
23rd December 2007, 10:35
howd it go?

The new thread about a great ride is regards this one :cool:

motorbyclist
23rd December 2007, 18:29
lol found it