PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Motorbike Breakthrough

Bob
4th November 2004, 01:02
British technology has helped produce the world’s first production diesel military motorbike.

The 86mph bike, based on a Kawasaki KLR650, is the result of a technology partnership between Cranfield University in Oxfordshire and California-based Hayes Diversified Technologies (HDT). Project spokesman John Crocker said: “The motorcycle also had to meet strict Nato requirements for all armed forces to operate their entire inventory of vehicles and powered equipment on either diesel fuel or aviation grade kerosene. This capability has major logistic advantages in obviating the need to carry other fuels to battle. And their lower flammability, in comparison with petrol, also greatly reduces fire hazards.”

The US Marines has placed an initial order for 522 motorcycles. Interest is also being shown by the US Army, the UK Ministry of Defence and other Nato forces.

HDT founder Fred Hayes has not ruled out the motorcycle being made available for the consumer market. He said: “Although the motorcycle is about 20-30% more expensive than a comparative conventional motorcycle, there would be cost savings for riders and environmental benefits in that the diesel motorcycle can do 110 miles per gallon – a little over twice the range of a conventional motorcycle.”

Jackrat
4th November 2004, 05:57
Yep,I,ve read heaps about this thing,even a road test by an english mag.
I'd be a starter if it ever really makes it public.
Been a while but,,, :spudwhat:

sAsLEX
4th November 2004, 16:39
its interesting some of the outboard motors for small boats developed because of the one fuel thing, alot are using turbines, which brings me to my points why not use the turbine bike from the states??

Bob
5th November 2004, 00:06
A photo of the new bike:

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/university/press/2004/john-croker-3.jpg

ResidentAngel
5th November 2004, 09:28
I asked if they were going to produce a 1300cc V Twin from the thing.
their reply

"One step at a time (!). Nice to know our colleagues in NZ are receiving
us, over..."

another piccy attached.

vifferman
5th November 2004, 09:34
That's OLD news. I first read about this last year, and we've already had at least one thread on this.

Bob
5th November 2004, 10:30
That's OLD news. I first read about this last year, and we've already had at least one thread on this.

I recall hearing about development work for sure. It was also part of a big feature on the possibility of commercially produced diesel powered bikes in RiDE magazine at least a year ago.

But the fact that it is developed sufficiently to meet NATO requirements and also to be produced in significant numbers? To me, that is current news (and the press release came out only a couple of days ago).

One thing that doesn't get mentioned - one of the things about diesel powered machines is that the initial accelleration isn't exactly great, hence turbo boosting. Now with a bike? The initial "out accellerate anything else on the road" factor would be lost with a diesel.

Diesel also doesn't work well with small cylinders - I believe this is why they went for a single, rather than a multi-cylinder bike.

So I wonder how long it will take before they can come up with something more than a single-cylinder thumper?

Come to think of it, a 1300cc V-Twin (with HUGE cylinders) might just be the way to go!

Motu
5th November 2004, 11:37
Like everyone else I've been hearing about it for yonks,believe it when I see it.Mind you,the KTM950 finally appeared in real life.

I'd be very interested to try one - diesels make a lot of low end poke,so a dirt bike with a diesel single would have some slog up hills.My diesel van has no weight in the arse and when doing a roundabout the inside wheel often lights up - it is very controlable,you can dial in as much wheelspin as you like,it's like I've got a 460 V8 in there not a 2.0 non turbo diesel.Transfer that to a bike and you'd have powerstands off idle with the front wheel height being controled by the wrist.

rodgerd
5th November 2004, 13:27
I'd be very interested to try one

Potential for a perfect long-haul offroader, with the better range/mileage diesels normally get.

And you could run it off random organic stuff. Fill up with the waste oil from the local fish and chip shop.

slob
5th November 2004, 16:20
Diesel bikes have actually been around for a while. I knew that Royal Enfield in India made production models about a decade ago, but it turns out that the timeline stretches back even further:
http://www.peace65.freeserve.co.uk/Pictures/timeline.htm

inlinefour
26th November 2004, 08:17
British technology has helped produce the world’s first production diesel military motorbike.

The 86mph bike, based on a Kawasaki KLR650, is the result of a technology partnership between Cranfield University in Oxfordshire and California-based Hayes Diversified Technologies (HDT). Project spokesman John Crocker said: “The motorcycle also had to meet strict Nato requirements for all armed forces to operate their entire inventory of vehicles and powered equipment on either diesel fuel or aviation grade kerosene. This capability has major logistic advantages in obviating the need to carry other fuels to battle. And their lower flammability, in comparison with petrol, also greatly reduces fire hazards.”

The US Marines has placed an initial order for 522 motorcycles. Interest is also being shown by the US Army, the UK Ministry of Defence and other Nato forces.

HDT founder Fred Hayes has not ruled out the motorcycle being made available for the consumer market. He said: “Although the motorcycle is about 20-30% more expensive than a comparative conventional motorcycle, there would be cost savings for riders and environmental benefits in that the diesel motorcycle can do 110 miles per gallon – a little over twice the range of a conventional motorcycle.”

I'll stick to my diesel surf and my petrol bike :killingme

vifferman
26th November 2004, 08:42
Hey Honda - stop dredging up old threads.

Blakamin
26th November 2004, 08:49
Hey Honda - stop dredging up old threads.
you'll make double-whore in no time, FS :msn-wink:

bear
1st December 2004, 11:58
What about road user charges?

ResidentAngel
6th December 2004, 09:05
What about road user charges?

Hey ... that would require that the government actually calculated how much wear and tear motorcycles did to road surfaces, and surely the bureaucrats doent want that particular statistic made public - might have to re-think licence fees and vehicle import duties.

gsxr750
6th December 2004, 09:21
yea desel ("Fill up with the waste oil from the local fish and chip shop")... drive a truck and thats where i want desel to end. torke ( just for you spellers) though makes sence in a trallie
Nick