PDA

View Full Version : Next bike, suggestions please.

Morcs
16th December 2007, 20:55
My lil gem of a 400 needs to move on. Although its 10/10 for fun, it simply isnt practical and im racking up the k's too quickly as well as maintenance costs.

I use it for commuting daily from west harbour to onehunga, as well as carting the missus around on the weekends. Hardly ideal. It does the job mind but id rather something that can do the job better.

Ive decided new is the way to go. Gives me a new bike, a warranty and only consumable maintenance items to buy (tyres, chains etc...) in the first year or so.

I dont want an out and out sports bike, they arent practical for my purpose either.

I dont want a thou. Id be too tempted to use it for illegal activities. I like small engines in a quick and nimble bike. Plus you get through tyres etc quicker.

My streetfighter should be on the road in january, so that will be my commuter and general thrash around bike, which ill just ride until it blows up, so only want a nice new bike to use on the weekends mostly that I can keep up with the maintenance...

God forbid the top of the list is the suzuki sv650s. Its a great physical size, looks good, reliable, its comfortable for both rider and pillion and is still quite sporty. a 650 twin is adequate. Has a bit more power than my 400 but with added torque which is very appealing.

Ive also looked at the 05 kawazaki z750 but it doesnt come close to the sv as far as fulfilling my requirements are concerned. The 07 is just ugly.

Any other bikes worth looking at? my budget is unlimited...

dino3310
16th December 2007, 21:24
suzuki
gsx750 katana
sv650
GSF650bandit
DL650v-strom
kawasaki
ER6n
Triump
street triple
yamaha
tdm900

so many to choose from,i'd try to test ride as many as you can, the right sales rep should bend over backwards knowing you've got an unlimited budget.
i prefer dual purpose like the DR650se low maintenence,good milelage,plenty of get up and go.

Timaa
16th December 2007, 21:36
u seling ur rvf man? im keen. lol

Timaa
16th December 2007, 21:36
oh and check out the gsr600 man, they look mint nad can be customised nicely

0arbreaka
16th December 2007, 21:43
Try the er6n, everyone Ive talked to who's ridden one enjoyed it, If id ridden one before I bought the gixxer I woulda got one. Best value for money mid size bike.

jimbo
16th December 2007, 23:01
Aprillia 750 shiver will be here soon,be worth a look i reckon:cool:

discotex
17th December 2007, 22:39
Unlimited $$ and those criteria...

I'd take a Brutale for a spin.

Street tripple too.

Dare I suggest a Superduke.

Or maybe even a Buell...

Or you could just get a Goldwing :lol:

ArcherWC
18th December 2007, 05:48
ER6N would get my vote

Morcs
18th December 2007, 06:19
suzuki
gsx750 katana no, for performance reasons, and they are ancient.
sv650 :2thumbs:
GSF650bandit thought about it...
DL650v-strom nah.
kawasaki maybe.
ER6n
Triump
street triple never.
yamaha
tdm900 and no.

so many to choose from,i'd try to test ride as many as you can, the right sales rep should bend over backwards knowing you've got an unlimited budget.
i prefer dual purpose like the DR650se low maintenence,good milelage,plenty of get up and go.

oh and check out the gsr600 man, they look mint nad can be customised nicely
Tis a nice bike. Goes in the same class as the Z750.

Try the er6n, everyone Ive talked to who's ridden one enjoyed it, If id ridden one before I bought the gixxer I woulda got one. Best value for money mid size bike.

ER6N would get my vote

I dunno, will have a look. Ive always thought the ER6 to be a gay bike...

Aprillia 750 shiver will be here soon,be worth a look i reckon:cool:
Italian bikes are nice. and beautiful. and lovely. but I need something that is reliable and doesnt cost $$$ to service and get parts for.

Unlimited $$ and those criteria...

I'd take a Brutale for a spin.

Street tripple too.

Dare I suggest a Superduke.

Or maybe even a Buell...

Or you could just get a Goldwing :lol:

I have an unlimited budget but dont want to go nuts. All of those bikes are too good for what I need it for.

:D

Devil
18th December 2007, 06:54
Interested to hear why never on the Street Triple?

Best bike i've ridden in a long time (and I ride a lot of a bikes) and just waiting to get one in my garage. Errrr which means you cant have one anyway :P

Morcs
18th December 2007, 12:37
Ive dismissed Triumph for a few reasons.

Firstly - reliablility. I remember reading an article in PB where they rode a gsxr750 and a 675 for 24 hours straight round a track. The trump blew up. The suzi was sweet.

How many warranty claims have you had on yours Dev?

And although i am patriotic and support my country I admit that the japanese do a far better job at putting anything together than the english.

Devil
18th December 2007, 13:46
Ive dismissed Triumph for a few reasons.

Firstly - reliablility. I remember reading an article in PB where they rode a gsxr750 and a 675 for 24 hours straight round a track. The trump blew up. The suzi was sweet.

How many warranty claims have you had on yours Dev?

And although i am patriotic and support my country I admit that the japanese do a far better job at putting anything together than the english.

You need to go play with a late model Triumph, much tidier and classier than the current jap plastic stuff.

I've only ever had one problem that actually stopped me from riding the bike and it was rectified in 2 days. Always with a loaner. I have never ever been left without a decent bike. None of this waiting for 6 weeks for japanese parts shit. Longest wait for parts = 5 days. Thats in 60,000km over two years. Plus the service from Holeshot has been exceptional.

The Triumphs are only getting better and better. That issue with the above 675 has been heard of and dealt with.
The Street Triple shits on everything that was in that list.

I dont have a car these days and HAVE to have transport for work. I have no reservations with buying another new Triumph!

more_fasterer
18th December 2007, 13:52
Tuono? There are some good deals out there

HornetBoy
18th December 2007, 13:55
What about a Kawasaki 636 ,just read a review about it in the latest BikeRider Mag and by the sounds of it ,its more touring orientated and not as back breaking as it looks...:yes: if never even heard about it till id read it in the magazine today..

This one on tardme looks very nice http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-129361595.htm

Or A Katana...

westie
18th December 2007, 14:57
I heard white fireblades are good, at around 7k

The Pastor
18th December 2007, 15:26
z750 or er6n would get my vote,

sv650, would be a bit gutless?

gsxr750, now thats a bike _b

Kittyhawk
18th December 2007, 15:31
Just a tip from a pillion point of view, with the later model sport style bikes R6, 07 ZX6r etc the pillion seats are crap.

When you are trying bikes on for size get the pillion to sit on it with you, I know on the 04 zx10 the pillion seat is very high, were as the R6 its inline with the rider almost.

Morcs
18th December 2007, 16:50
I heard white fireblades are good, at around 7k

Too old too many K's. I want new :banana:

Just a tip from a pillion point of view, with the later model sport style bikes R6, 07 ZX6r etc the pillion seats are crap.

When you are trying bikes on for size get the pillion to sit on it with you, I know on the 04 zx10 the pillion seat is very high, were as the R6 its inline with the rider almost.

the 04 ten feels like you are perched on top of the eiffel tower. All the new 600 sports are too light, too small, too revvy.

SV650S still tops the list (with a load of bling :) )

Kittyhawk
18th December 2007, 16:59
LOL yup I have to agree with ya.

The newer bikes are far too lightweight.

HungusMaximist
18th December 2007, 17:11
Yah, the SV650 are fine, so are the ER6N but I haven't ridden one but it sure turns heads.

scracha
25th December 2007, 20:22
Yah, the SV650 are fine, so are the ER6N but I haven't ridden one but it sure turns heads.

Tedium 900. Take one for a test ride...you'll be pleasantly surprised. Due to Euro 4 I've heard they'll be withdrawn so you'll have plenty of power to haggle. They don't depreciate much either.

lanci
26th December 2007, 15:02
Monster 695?

dino3310
5th January 2008, 18:19
the lastest GSX750f katana 10k at the mo,fast,comfy,reliable,cheaper maintenence than the exotics,the gixxer engine has proven itself time and time again.

Swoop
5th January 2008, 21:31
Ive decided new is the way to go. Gives me a new bike, a warranty and only consumable maintenance items to buy (tyres, chains etc...) in the first year or so.

God forbid the top of the list is the suzuki sv650s.
I realise that you have said "no 1000's" but hear me out...

VTR1000.
Having spent a couple of days pootling about on one of these, and since you have mentioned the SV...

Wild West Honda have one (demo) at a reduced price because of this (with about 3-400km on the clock).

Sensible & comfy pillion seat as well.

Denniso
6th January 2008, 11:28
Go for the SV 650 , falcon great bike , the other bike I saw in someones list was the DR650 , top fun but a bit guttless for pillion work . I assume you will try out a few bikes so go with whatever makes YOU happy , try out some differant bikes as sometimes odd things are just what you've been after , I'd have never even concidered a DR 650 till I rode a mates one , now my poor thou sees very little use as I'm on the DR most of the time . Whatever you get , ENJOY IT .

flossiejayno
6th January 2008, 14:34
I been riding a vfr800 for the last 5 years, great bike. Reliable, pretty quick ( not a pocket rocket, but not slow either), will cruises at 159 km all day. Bit lacking in torque but a hard bike to replace. The SV or VTR suspension is too soft, gas range not great. Seriously looked at them prior to buying the VFR, pleased I didn't.

Having come off a fully flaired bike the options are a bit hard. Have you thought about a KTM SM 950 or SuperDuke 990. Great bikes, lots of fun, plenty of grunt ,good handling, good setup. Or maybe the KTM RC8, awesome.

I would look for a bike that has great suspension/brakes and can accommodate a normal size person. Then you can enjoy the ride all day.

dino3310
6th January 2008, 19:32
Go for the SV 650 , falcon great bike , the other bike I saw in someones list was the DR650 , top fun but a bit guttless for pillion work . I assume you will try out a few bikes so go with whatever makes YOU happy , try out some differant bikes as sometimes odd things are just what you've been after , I'd have never even concidered a DR 650 till I rode a mates one , now my poor thou sees very little use as I'm on the DR most of the time . Whatever you get , ENJOY IT .

gotta love those DRs.

limbimtimwim
6th January 2008, 19:54
You want a VFR800.

But not cheap. And not that light.

Morcs
9th January 2008, 17:38
I realise that you have said "no 1000's" but hear me out...

VTR1000.
Having spent a couple of days pootling about on one of these, and since you have mentioned the SV...

Wild West Honda have one (demo) at a reduced price because of this (with about 3-400km on the clock).

They are simply too dated. Plus they are being fazed out this year, and the inside word is Honda wont be replacing it. Same with the Blackbird.

Sensible & comfy pillion seat as well.

They are simply too dated. Plus they are being fazed out this year, and the inside word is Honda wont be replacing it. Same with the Blackbird.

I been riding a vfr800 for the last 5 years, great bike. Reliable, pretty quick ( not a pocket rocket, but not slow either), will cruises at 159 km all day. Bit lacking in torque but a hard bike to replace. The SV or VTR suspension is too soft, gas range not great. Seriously looked at them prior to buying the VFR, pleased I didn't.

You want a VFR800.

But not cheap. And not that light.

VFR800 is too heavy, too expensive, and not keen on the look of the current ones. Prefered the 2002 models - Nice in bright red, with black rims etc...

flossiejayno
9th January 2008, 20:25
VFR800 is too heavy, too expensive, and not keen on the look of the current ones. Prefered the 2002 models - Nice in bright red, with black rims etc...

Have to agree, best model VFR 2001 pre-VTEC. Hopefully Honda are going to replace with v4 or v5 1000cc engine with updated brakes (radial) and suspension (odlin usd forks etc), no vVTEC. Though a bit heavy, at speed was pretty stable and sometimes an asset. Use to commute daily in the UK, most of the time between 130-159kph, all weather (sunny/raining/hailing/snowing/blowing a gail, 0 to -6 degrees C).

Bikes in NZ are expensive anyway you lot at it!

disturbed
9th January 2008, 20:41
ive always had a soft spot for the rf900. heard there pretty indestructable too