PDA

View Full Version : Riding Auckland to Wellington xmas day

forkoil
17th December 2007, 12:42
Leaving gentlemans hours - not too sparrow fartee. Catching ferry boxing day, do you need to book with a bike? Could prob arrange free accom in Wgtn for one other. Ride to Chch, staying there and returning new years day (have to be back at work on the 3rd in Orks). Not very familiar with more interesting routes Sth than SH1. Anyone going my way?

skelstar
17th December 2007, 14:04
Leaving gentlemans hours - not too sparrow fartee. Catching ferry boxing day, do you need to book with a bike? Could prob arrange free accom in Wgtn for one other. Ride to Chch, staying there and returning new years day (have to be back at work on the 3rd in Orks). Not very familiar with more interesting routes Sth than SH1. Anyone going my way?
Shit yeah you have to book for ferry, sometime s Nov is too late. Have a look at their site online (www.interislander.co.nz probably)...

Interesting routes Sth are well documented on other threads... probably look for threads with the word 'route' in the title.

skelstar
17th December 2007, 14:06
Read this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=60634)

forkoil
17th December 2007, 14:13
Thanks for the route info Skelstar. I checked on the weekend for bookings online on boxing day with a bike and they were available on every sailing. Also talking to a guy on the weekend (after riding just about every road in Northland in one day....) who said he never books and has never had any trouble getting on, but that was a few years ago, so dunno.

skelstar
17th December 2007, 14:44
Shit really! ... uh ok. I always thought ferry sailings were something you had to book weeks and weeks ahead around this time o'year.

Make sure you write up a report when you get back and have a good trip.