PDA

View Full Version : Dome Valley cheesecutter barriers

MadDuck
17th December 2007, 14:26
Dont know if anyone else has spotted this:
As published in the Mahurangi & Nothern Matters:

Motorcyclists oppose ‘cheesecutter’ barriers

The installation of wire rope barriers alongside State Highway One south of Wellsford has brought the “cheesecutter” issue close to home for local motorcyclists.

The barriers hit the news recently when a 21-year-old crashed his bike at high speed on Auckland’s southern motorway and was cut in half by the wires. Motorcycle groups around the country are asking for a moratorium on the use of the barriers, which they say not only dismember bikers but can also slice through car pillars and kill the occupants.

Automotive journalist and motorcycle enthusiast Peter Callen, who was part of a group visiting the Puhoi Pub recently, says the barriers are a budget solution to the problem of head-on crashes.

“Transit is taking a cavalier attitude to people’s lives,” he says. “When it comes to cars they will prevent a few head-ons, but everyone I speak to on two wheels is one hundred percent opposed to those cheesecutters.”

Transit New Zealand’s northern operations manager, Joseph Flanagan, says the Dome Valley has one of the highest crash rates in the country through vehicle loss of control. The flexible wire rope barriers are used on the sides of the road not because they are cheaper, but because they contain vehicles more effectively than semi rigid barriers, preventing them from bouncing back onto the road and potentially causing a head on crash with more severe injury consequences.

“There is no evidence of wire rope barriers posing any more of a danger to motorcyclists than other barriers,” Mr Flanagan says.

“Motorcyclists are likely to sustain similarly serious injuries if they were to crash into another type of barrier or, if the barrier was not there, into oncoming traffic or a roadside hazard.”

Mr Flanagan says Transit continues to exchange ideas and experience with its colleagues overseas and is keeping a watching brief on trials of products aimed at making barriers more forgiving if hit by a motorcyclist.

“We’ll also be looking for opportunities to meet with motorcyclists to hear their concerns and share information with them.”

Hundreds of motorcyclists took part in several protest rides last month, and a petition is circulating asking for a moratorium on the construction of wire-rope barriers until officials examine the international evidence and develop traffic barrier options that are safer for bikers. To find out more visit www.cheesecutters.co.nz.

So i now have a choice if a car crosses the middleline. I hit the car or aim for the Wire Barrier.....

ManDownUnder
17th December 2007, 14:30
So i now have a choice if a car crosses the middleline. I hit the car or aim for the Wire Barrier.....

Thank God we have a choice! Imagine having no option but to get hurt because they were only out ot save money.

fireball
17th December 2007, 14:33
we are fast running out of options on the road if shit hits the fan.....
while down south we came across a piece of road that was cheesecutters on the sides and the centre lane..... shame too it was a nice bit of road.....

..where are my bolt cutters?

MSTRS
17th December 2007, 16:06

“There is no evidence of wire rope barriers posing any more of a danger to motorcyclists than other barriers,” Mr Flanagan says.

I've never seen or heard of a concrete barrier cutting a body in two
I wonder if this git can look back and see daylight?? (head up arse attitude)

ManDownUnder
17th December 2007, 16:15
I've never seen or heard of a concrete barrier cutting a body in two
I wonder if this git can look back and see daylight?? (head up arse attitude)

I have a nasty feeling he looks forward and is blinded

(sun shines out of his arse attitude)

yungatart
17th December 2007, 16:18
I have a nasty feeling he looks forward and is blinded

(sun shines out of his arse attitude)

Now that would be funny....if it wasn't true!
How many statistics/surveys/overseas research do Transit need to see, before they 'get it'?

ManDownUnder
17th December 2007, 16:37
How many statistics/surveys/overseas research do Transit need to see, before they 'get it'?

Wasn't that a song...? "The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind..."

MSTRS
17th December 2007, 17:07
What really annoys me is that Transit say they are 'hearing our concerns', yet they are installing these deathtraps as fast as they can.
Basically, their words mean nothing, and their actions say they don't care.

Kinda reminds me of the Thalidomide thing in the 60's...great idea on paper, rotten outcome.

sAsLEX
17th December 2007, 17:18

Hi my name is Mr Flanagan. I have not been outside my home in 40 years, I have neither a phone nor the internet or a tv. No one has visited me. But I am an expert in the field of roadside barriers.

Fuckstick there is plenty of info on the increased danger these barriers pose.

sAsLEX
17th December 2007, 17:19
Now that would be funny....if it wasn't true!

They haven't seen any according to his statement above.

janno
17th December 2007, 18:17
That was a fairly good article though, i thought.

nodrog
17th December 2007, 18:30
those barriers at wellsford are there to do nothing except protect a big soft claybank on one side, and a couple of scrawny poplar trees on the other, they serve no pupose where they are, except maybe to contain the wreckage in the confines of the tarmac to make after accident clean up easier and quicker.

they would have less accidents through there if they filled in the farkin great big hangi pit that is right in the middle of one of the corners

MadDuck
18th December 2007, 09:09
Yeah its still bugging me so I went looking....you decide

http://www.csppacific.co.nz/Armorwire_Rope_Barrier-System.htm

They claim 11,000 vehicles travel the Dome per day. 18 fatals in 10 years.

T.I.E
18th December 2007, 09:24
im wondering what it will take before transit change their minds over these cutters.
eventually someone will take matters into their own hands, if transit cant get their act together.
are our wishes just going to be put on the back burner and buried under a pile of paperwork. what ever the outcome from our roading god's i hope they fix something soon. or else give us a descision on what they intend to do or not do.
sooner the better.

yungatart
18th December 2007, 09:27
im wondering what it will take before transit change their minds over these cutters.
eventually someone will take matters into their own hands, if transit cant get their act together.
are our wishes just going to be put on the back burner and buried under a pile of paperwork. what ever the outcome from our roading god's i hope they fix something soon. or else give us a descision on what they intend to do or not do.
sooner the better.

In the meantime, one constructive thing that you can do, is get loads of signatures on that petition.
The government and Transit cannot ignore that...there is set procedure for these things.
Get out there and get it done!

T.I.E
18th December 2007, 09:46
In the meantime, one constructive thing that you can do, is get loads of signatures on that petition.
The government and Transit cannot ignore that...there is set procedure for these things.

the government cant ignore it? yes they can! sorry must keep away from politics.
so hows the weather today?
Come on Uncle Helen do something will ya.

ill vote for any party that hopes to ban these devices on our roads. who wants my vote?

MadDuck
18th December 2007, 09:51

I doubt Mr Peter Callen and his merry band of visitors didnt sign the petition that was left at the Puhoi Pub by Mrs BusaPete :mad:

yungatart
18th December 2007, 09:53
the government cant ignore it? yes they can! sorry must keep away from politics.
so hows the weather today?
Come on Uncle Helen do something will ya.

ill vote for any party that hopes to ban these devices on our roads. who wants my vote?

A petiton, properly presented, must go before a select committee. At that point the government asks for submissions from interested parties. (in this case, Transit and motorcyclists)
That is where we get to have our say and be heard!

The weather is gorgeous by the way, 27 deg and rising!

T.I.E
18th December 2007, 10:00
how many names do we have so far i see the website is well over 3000 but what about the written ones? do we have any idea of numbers? just out of curosity.

yungatart
18th December 2007, 10:02
No idea, sorry!
I have 20 odd pages....

Devil
18th December 2007, 11:59
I doubt Mr Peter Callen and his merry band of visitors didnt sign the petition that was left at the Puhoi Pub by Mrs BusaPete :mad:

Look a bit closer to home.
He's a KB member.

MadDuck
18th December 2007, 13:14
Look a bit closer to home.
He's a KB member.

NO NO NO....It appears I have misread the initial publication and my mind somehow managed to misintepret this person as supporting the Cheesecutters.

My apologies and thank you for pointing out the error of my ways Mr Devil. I must learn to read slower before commenting. Proly why I dont post much huh :cool: