PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Restricted Test

unrealone
17th December 2007, 17:07
Going to book my restricted in the Wellington City area. Any recommendations for a testing station?

Trudes
17th December 2007, 17:12
AA Porirua

unrealone
17th December 2007, 17:18
Mmm, I sat my Learners there.

Just booked it online and didn't get the option for Porirua. Just booked for the Mt Victoria one on Friday the 28th!

Wish me luck - its about bloody time - about 1 and a half years late :)

Drum
17th December 2007, 17:38
AA in Lower Hutt have a good tester who rides.

Trudes
17th December 2007, 18:28
Good luck matey!!
I picked Porirua because it's fairly quiet, no hills and the tester dude rocks!!!

Hawkeye
17th December 2007, 19:43
My son failed his full at Porirua because he stopped at a give way sign. He stopped because a truck came straight through a stop sign. The examiner said he had right of way so should have kept going. Didn't matter that he would have been taken out by the truck. The guy is a plonker.

Go into Wellington and book to do it at Kilbernie. They give you an ear piece so that the tester can give you instructions. It is certainly better than trying to use the mirrors to keep an eye on the tester behind you.

Trudes
17th December 2007, 20:42
May have been a different guy....... I'm sure there's more than one and possibly different ones for bike and car tests.
The guy who took me on my bike tests was fantastic.

Nasty
17th December 2007, 21:07
I saw at least four different testers when I was sitting my full ... all coming and going etc. from Porirua. I had no issues and even made a boo boo but not enough to fail.

Hawkeye did you challenge the AA re the failure?

Blue Velvet
18th December 2007, 07:17
I sat both my restricted and full tests at Porirua, different testers each time, both were very reasonable. There's always a bad one though aye.

I found Porirua a good place to sit the tests, quiet routes with only slight variations each time. Did the Kilbirnie route with an instructor prior to my restricted test. The Kilbirnie route can get very busy round the aiport.

Colapop
18th December 2007, 07:35
The tester in question at Porirua does not work in Wellington. He is a prick and always will be. The worst part about him is that he is a biker. If any of you girls get him as your officer, request a different person. His initials are MH.
This guy was banned from the AA office because of his behaviour towards the women in there. This is one of the prinicipal reasons the testing officers are not based at the office anymore.
Clint and Mohammed are very good testers - usually based at Kilbirnie.

Blue Velvet
18th December 2007, 08:08
The tester in question at Porirua does not work in Wellington. He is a prick and always will be. The worst part about him is that he is a biker. If any of you girls get him as your officer, request a different person. His initials are MH.
This guy was banned from the AA office because of his behaviour towards the women in there. This is one of the prinicipal reasons the testing officers are not based at the office anymore.
Clint and Mohammed are very good testers - usually based at Kilbirnie.

Hmmm, perhaps the women who work at AA in Porirua know this and so avoid booking you with him if female... Good on them if so.

If he was banned from the office, shouldn't he just get the flick? I know it's hard to sack people these days, but...

unrealone
28th December 2007, 09:40
Well I sat it today at the Mt Victoria place (Bowling Club) - very nice chap and we interested in bikes too.

Weather was shocking and I didnt have my wet weather gear as it is with a friend at the moment.

Passed it with flying colours according to the instructor. He said I rode very well. I missed one corner but recovered quickly :)

Nasty
28th December 2007, 10:39
Well done ... keep up the good work as you ride towards sitting your full!!!

Hawkeye
28th December 2007, 11:14
Well I sat it today at the Mt Victoria place (Bowling Club) - very nice chap and we interested in bikes too.

Weather was shocking and I didnt have my wet weather gear as it is with a friend at the moment.

Passed it with flying colours according to the instructor. He said I rode very well. I missed one corner but recovered quickly :)

Congrats on the 6R. Just get out there and ride and before you know it, it will be time for the full.

Drum
28th December 2007, 18:37
Unreal! Keep up the good work. :niceone:

325rocket
28th December 2007, 19:40
do you hit the highway on the test?
just wondering if you did, did you go over 70km's? (serious question)

Colapop
28th December 2007, 22:17
Hmmm, perhaps the women who work at AA in Porirua know this and so avoid booking you with him if female... Good on them if so. If he was banned from the office, shouldn't he just get the flick? I know it's hard to sack people these days, but...
Yep they do as they can in that regard.
I have first hand knowledge of his behaviour from the staff there. The matter was swept under the carpet and claimed that they "blew it out of proportion." It was serious enough that the Regional manager became involved and instigated change or the women were not going to open the shop.

Well done on passing your license UR1! Onwards and upwards - you'll be into the shops pestering them for "test" rides before too long!

unrealone
29th December 2007, 13:24
do you hit the highway on the test?
just wondering if you did, did you go over 70km's? (serious question)

Nope. Took me through Mt Vic streets (god damn up and down things they are) and through Courtney Central and back around to Mt Vic.

I don't think they'd take you over 70 on a Restricted test as you'd break your license conditions. My friend who recently passed his full didn't even hit more than 70kph.

nivram
4th January 2008, 19:20
I'm also looking to my restricted soon where in Kibernie do you go to take the test???

unrealone
5th January 2008, 08:37
I'm also looking to my restricted soon where in Kibernie do you go to take the test???

I used the LTSA website to book mine, they provide all the locations where you can do your test.

Colapop
5th January 2008, 10:00
Book it online through LTSA or go into AA Lampton Quay. If you go into AA you can request your test location.
The Kilbirnie test goes from the bowling club (next to the pool) down to Lyall bay and around the airport usually.

nivram
23rd February 2008, 11:52
Got my test booked for this Wednesday the 27th at Kilbernie Wellington any tips?

Watchers
22nd April 2008, 22:06
just moved to Wellingtown and am going to book/sit my restricted in about 3 weeks. Kilbirnie sounds like the place to go by the sounds of things. Not too familiar with Kilbirnie (apart from catching the bus to and from the airport). What day/time of day should I aim for? (boss is a good'un and will give me a couple of hours off to go sit the test so just need to pick a date/time and book).

Also can anyone suggest a good instructor to go do the course to cut the restricted period down by half.

DingoZ
22nd April 2008, 22:53
Kilbirnie or AA lower HUtt are good places to go.....

Before lunch and after lunch are good times to aim for

Instructor for the courses. Andrew Templeton from Road Safe..

www.roadsafe.co.nz

horch
23rd July 2008, 22:20
I've just booked to sit my 6R at Mt Vic - does anyone per chance know the route? Or is it a random on-the-day thing??