PDA

View Full Version : Touring NZ on sportsbikes?

skidMark
18th December 2007, 22:56
Hey all.

Ive been putting this off for a while...but know i will do it eventually becausei want to do it.

the plan is tour nz

i'm thinking the coast all the way round (or whatever road is closest to the coast), round the north island the south island, and possibly stewert island.

at this stage i'm not sure who with, my friend tony is keen, but i may yet go by myself, but would be awesome to spend it with a good mate.

i'm wondering a few things

1. What sort of timeframe would i realistically need to do this? i am thinking stop enjoy the scenery etc.....and stick around in towns and check them out etc and see all the sights. am i looking at a month...2 months 3 months...never done touring in my life so i don't know how long it will all take.

2. i want to do it on a sportsbike... ie zx6r or similar maybe zx10r. worst comes to worst, the model bike thats always been there for me would be my trusty steed , the mighty zxr250, but in reality i think it would be too hard on a 250.

in all honesty i don't have megabucks to spend on a bike but the plan is to buy something nice before doing this, but i'm not going to do alot of touring after this i don't think. and having some big paris- dakar specd BMW for commuting on just isnt my style, i was tempted to buy a sports tourer...... v strom perhaps i don't know, but in all honest i'm a full on sportsbike guy the whole way.

3. moneywise? how much should i allow for an adventure like this, i assume accomidation will be the killer? anybody able to please offer some advice.

i won't be doing it just yet, but i need to see how viable it is at this stage in my life asi am only 20.

that and i cant save for something unless i have a goal if i know how much i need to save i can do it.

thanks in advance: Mark

Usarka
19th December 2007, 06:49
Piece of piss on a sportsbike especially when you're not an old fart. Obviously not as comfortable, but it shouldnt put you off doing it just stop lots.

I did auck - wgtn - nelson - franz - wanaka - qnstwn - tekapo - chchc - kaikorua - wgtn - auck in about 6 days on a cbr600. That's a rushed timeframe, but a month would be achievable. Extend that to 6 weeks and should be sweet.

Stay at backpackers if you dont mind sharing a dorm. Cheap ($20-30) and you get the chance to meet some lovely blond swedish backpacker, but watch out you dont meet the hairy israeli "backpackers" if you know what i mean.

Three things though, it's a long way to walk home from Balcutha, and you need a licence, and a bike :whistle:

jrandom
19th December 2007, 07:13
Of course it's fucking viable. Have a motorcycle, take some time off work, pack a bag and fuck off down the highway. It's what we do. It's not that complicated. Unfortunately, Mark, you're missing two of the more important parts of that equation.

Your road to motorcycle touring nirvana starts here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/index.htm).

Pumba
19th December 2007, 07:21
Hey Mark I am by no means an expert but I just back from my first tour down south a couple of weeks ago my route was:

Auckland - Hamilton - wellington - Timaru - Invercargaril (camped up for 3 nights) - Quesentown (camped up for two nights) - Christchurch - Wesport - Renwick (just outside blenim) - Hamilton - Auckland.

That took a group of us 12 days, no doubt it could have been done a lot quicker or taken a lot longer. Mum and dad spent about 5 weeks down south at the start of the year and still could have seen more of the island (they did regulary stop and partake in tourest activities).

As for cost, your big three are Gas, Accomadation, and food.

Gas you can not get around, you can make it cheaper by trying to ensure that you dont have to fill up at obscure little gas stations in the middle of no where, where the accept payment by arm and or leg.

Accomadtion you can get cheap, camping grounds with a tent (or the side of the road even) would be your cheapest.

Food I found hard, if you are staying somewhere for a couple of days you can do a small supermarket shop, however bear in mind that you cant carry a hell of a lot with you once you get on the bike.

As for cost, I didnt add up what the trip cost me (it was a holiday after all) but I think it would have been close $2K, no doubt you could do it a lot cheaper, or you could spend a hell of a lot more.

GaZBur
19th December 2007, 07:34
3. moneywise? how much should i allow for an adventure like this, i assume accomidation will be the killer? anybody able to please offer some advice.

i won't be doing it just yet, but i need to see how viable it is at this stage in my life asi am only 20.

that and i cant save for something unless i have a goal if i know how much i need to save i can do it.

thanks in advance: Mark
Are you working now? Earning ok? If not have you considered a working holiday. Meet more people, often on site accomodation/food, get to know areas better, experience a different way of life. OK - I imagine the pay for most seasonal or casual work would be lower than a career type job but worth checking out maybe.
As for the bike tour on any bike at all, why not use what you got...just ride to its abillities as you are not intending to to 1000k a day anyway. I envy you the chance - don't forget to write up your experiences so we can enjoy too!

skelstar
19th December 2007, 08:22
Its fine on a 250 Mark... I did it on a Hyobag and had a blast, you can do it on the ZXR I'm sure.

yungatart
19th December 2007, 08:32
There is absolutely nothing worth seeing or doing in HB, and our roads are shit too, so don't bother coming here.

Stickchick
19th December 2007, 09:16
There is absolutely nothing worth seeing or doing in HB, and our roads are shit too, so don't bother coming here.

Now, now, where is the HB hospitality I have been raving about :lol::lol::lol::girlfight:

yungatart
19th December 2007, 11:30
Now, now, where is the HB hospitality I have been raving about :lol::lol::lol::girlfight:

HB is closed that day.....and any other time that SM wants to visit....roadblocks may even be in place....

sunhuntin
19th December 2007, 12:18
mark... it is entirely possible on a 250. im planning to one day to cape reinga to bluff and back on the 250 virago.

id allow AT LEAST 2 months, if you want to have a decent look around while doing so. i took 15 days to do the south island... about 4000 odd k i guess. id like longer though, to really look around. stop at the view points, as they are well worth it. take a camera and tons of spare film or memory cards.

south island must dos: arthurs pass, crown range. watch the kea so they dont take off with your gear [keys etc]
try and plan it around rallies etc [ie, burt munro, ceme circuit, paeroa etc] if thats your kinda thing.
petrol: i had no trouble getting around on a 200k range tank. fuel is pretty regular down there... most i paid was $191.9 at franz joseph [for 91grade]
if you are unsure, buy a 5lt container, fill it up at the "last stop" and then try and find a secure way of carrying. i avoided this in the case of an accident.

get some decent bungy cords [i use the red and blue ones from supercheap... nice fat hooks and tons of stretch] and bike cargo nets. [i got 2 spare from an unofficial $2 shop] backpack, saddle bags etc. i would not have been able to do it without top box, saddle bags and back pack. if you are planning to spend a couple of days in towns, id take a pair of sneakers, cos bike boots get fuckin uncomfortable to walk in. also take thermals and other spare clothes. the sth island can get bloody chilly.

most of all, have fun! :banana:

marty
19th December 2007, 12:21
Mark's checklist for The Great NZ Motorcylce Tour:

1. Apply for leave from my job
2. Have money in the bank (saved from my weekly pay packet)
3. Check my motorbike actually goes
4. Phone a friend.

When you can check all 4 of those, you'll be good to go.

sunhuntin
19th December 2007, 12:32
what do ya need a friend for? i went solo... much better. nice to be able to do what you like, when you like. also nice to pick up riders along the way for short periods.

Taz
19th December 2007, 14:28
Of course it's fucking viable. Have a motorcycle, take some time off work, pack a bag and fuck off down the highway. It's what we do. It's not that complicated. Unfortunately, Mark, you're missing two of the more important parts of that equation.

Your road to motorcycle touring nirvana starts here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/index.htm).

And you called me a smarmy git and a cunt. Hypocrite :).

jrandom
19th December 2007, 14:35
And you called me a smarmy git and a cunt.

Doesn't mean I can't be one.

:D

Anyway, you were being smarmy and cuntish to one of my favourite people. Feel free to slap me if skidMark's your best mate...

oldrider
19th December 2007, 14:47
If you ever actually get round to doing this trip you can stay with us if you like. :niceone: Cheers John.

Taz
19th December 2007, 14:52
Doesn't mean I can't be one.

:D

Anyway, you were being smarmy and cuntish to one of my favourite people. Feel free to slap me if skidMark's your best mate...

Na skidmarks a prat :) ......

madmal64
19th December 2007, 15:13
You could do a tour around NZ on what you got without too many problems. If you are looking for a decent cheap bike for touring why not buy the good old RF900. Cheap as chips, goes for ever, handles luggage and miles with ease, plenty of power and built like a tank. When you have done the tour you could/would sell it for probably the same money you paid for it at the start!
As for a time frame well thats your call. You can make it as long or as short as you like. Is it the ride? Or is it more about discovery and spending some real time in other parts of NZ?

skidMark
19th December 2007, 16:56
what do ya need a friend for? i went solo... much better. nice to be able to do what you like, when you like. also nice to pick up riders along the way for short periods.

it's a case of it would be good to spend time with my mate/ mates

and the fact of general safety, if i arse off in the middle on no where or something on some country backroad i'm screwed.

also a case of safety in numbers i spose

i am concerned about staying at backpackers though, due to just leaving the bike outside some backpackers for the night.

in saying that i don't really want to be out in a tent.

You could do a tour around NZ on what you got without too many problems. If you are looking for a decent cheap bike for touring why not buy the good old RF900. Cheap as chips, goes for ever, handles luggage and miles with ease, plenty of power and built like a tank. When you have done the tour you could/would sell it for probably the same money you paid for it at the start!
As for a time frame well thats your call. You can make it as long or as short as you like. Is it the ride? Or is it more about discovery and spending some real time in other parts of NZ?

it's a bit of both really, i love riding, exploring new twisty roads, but i'm also a scuker for scenery, and checking some other places in nz out, even spending a day in taupo in taupo and at the racetrack puts me in the best mood, same with the whangamata road, good scenery amazing road, couldn't be happier.

i won't be doing this just yet, but probably mid 08 or maybe early 09.

thanks for all the help guys got me wanting to do it even more!:2thumbsup

White trash
19th December 2007, 17:02
Mark, you're having delusions of adequecy again. Go back to sleep.

MSTRS
19th December 2007, 17:15
SM touring NZ?? Will someone please make sure that the gate at the Bombays is closed.

sunhuntin
19th December 2007, 20:09
depending when in the year you do it, id be happy to tag along for a day or so [say wangas to picton]

i did mine 90% solo... hooked with _intense_ just on a chance, rode with him for a day. when i left him behind, i dropped the bike, lol. [no speed drop due to missing footing in a ditch] theres a decent amount of traffic down there, someone'll come along eventually. in saying that, there were times when i wished i had someone else with me... gets a bit lonely. on the other hand, when i ride with others, i tend to push myself and risk an off to go with it. its ok on roads i know, or if i can tail and follow their lines... or, just let them go and know they will wait at any unclear turn offs.

backpackers are fine... hotels with off road parking are dearer, specially if theres just you, but you usually get your own bathroom, and the bikes security to boot. i suggest you go to a local backpacker and get the free BBH nationwide guide, and then go to the AA and get a free accomodation guide. i like to pick my sleeps the day before, so i can memorise my map routes through town etc.

limbimtimwim
19th December 2007, 20:21
i am concerned about staying at backpackers though, due to just leaving the bike outside some backpackers for the night.Why would a thief go for your bike when there will be camper vans full of clothes, cash and valuables around? Easy, lucrative and quiet pickings compared to stealing a bike.

I'm always more concerned about my other stuff than the bike.

And ++ on doing it on the 250 sports bike. I have done it on my old 250, my 400 and my 750. I enjoyed it every time and would do it again.

Usarka
19th December 2007, 20:23
most places are more than happy for you to park your bike around the back if you ask nicely and respectfully. a bed for the night is just to sleep in, if its cheap then more money for travelling.

Henk
26th December 2007, 10:27
On the accommodation front, take a tent, you meet all sorts of random people in campgrounds and it's as cheap as it gets. Check out the DOC campgrounds before you go, they have some of the best locations around. If the weather turns to cheese or you are sick of tenting it you can always go up market if the budget allows. Keep country pubs as an option as well. We had an awesome night at Matawai a few months ago because we got bored with riding in the rain at night. Never would have stopped there otherwise and it was half the price of accommodation in Taupo the night before. $4 a pint and $2 during happy hour was a bonus.

99TLS
26th December 2007, 10:48
[QUOTE=yungatart;1346760]There is absolutely nothing worth seeing or doing in HB,QUOTE]

except the wineries :niceone:

The Pastor
26th December 2007, 21:54
mark needs a job first lol. and to save up for a 10r, and money to tour, he'd need to actually keep it for more than a week.

mark, you'd prob want a bike that can hit the gravel if you want to really explore nz.

325rocket
26th December 2007, 22:28
if you can keep your licence long enough and you do actually do this trip there will be a bed for you here in Wellington

skidMark
27th December 2007, 01:09
if you can keep your licence long enough and you do actually do this trip there will be a bed for you here in Wellington

Awesome, cheers :D

license is gone for a long time, gives me time to focus on saving....

realised ive been throwing money i cldnt afford to at bikes for a long time....

and throwing $450 at a set of tyres every 4,000-6,000k's on the zxr, wasnt doing any favours for my bank balance.

EJK
27th December 2007, 01:33
SM touring NZ?? Will someone please make sure that the gate at the Bombays is closed.

Meh don't worry, hes gonna blow his engine just after Bombay:laugh:

skidMark
27th December 2007, 02:32
Meh don't worry, hes gonna blow his engine just after Bombay:laugh:

and here i was about to give red baron a stir about sorting out your bike....

tisk tisk ej tisk tisk.:mellow:

VTRRR
1st January 2008, 18:10
i did the southern cross, that cost about $1500, but i would suggest getting heated hand grips for the south half, they kick ass.

jafar
2nd January 2008, 10:33

Sure mate , just as soon as he has passed through it :Oops:

Chad
2nd January 2008, 21:32
Meh, just did Picton - Nelson - Lake Rotoiti - Back to picton at xmas, four hours in the rain with an open face helmet and goggles on my CBR250. No worries, just crank up the iPod and think about sunshine :niceone: Although rain on your face at 150 when passing hurts like a B@#%*!!
But again, look on the bright side, ya don't get thirsty

sunhuntin
2nd January 2008, 21:43
Meh, just did Picton - Nelson - Lake Rotoiti - Back to picton at xmas, four hours in the rain with an open face helmet and goggles on my CBR250. No worries, just crank up the iPod and think about sunshine :niceone: Although rain on your face at 150 when passing hurts like a B@#%*!!
But again, look on the bright side, ya don't get thirsty

i wear a "dickie" [canadian term] which is essentially just a skivvy with the neck and part of the chest and back cut out. when its wet, i simply pull it up to my eyes, do the helmet up and then roll it down however far. you need to thread the ipod phones up inside it otherwise they will get pulled up. only major downside is when all the gaps are closed up is that glasses fog up big time.
put it on first to make sure it doesnt get bunched, and then put your other gear on over the top. ive got a wool one.
works a treat at protecting the face from rain, provides some liquid when going long haul, and means you dont have to breath in cold air.
cheapest way to do it is buy a skivvy from the op shop and let rip with a pair of scissors, lol.

Chad
2nd January 2008, 23:27
I have a buff which I had pulled up most of the time, and that stops most of the impact, although eventually its like trying to breath through a damp cloth, bit rough so I'll def need to find something better, but a good pair of goggles make a big difference aswell. I've got a beaut pair of vented anti-fog snowboardin goggles, and they really do never fog and since they're well vented, once you're movin a little cold air keeps my specs from fogging up aswell. Otherwise I have to say I quite enjoy the rain and bein buffeted around in open helmet :stupid:
All about the journey

sunhuntin
2nd January 2008, 23:45
ive got goggles, but they are so scratched up that i cant see jack through them anyways, lol. need to get a decent pair, but until then, safety glasses will do the trick.

TOTO
10th January 2008, 22:18
... it is entirely possible on a 250. im planning to one day to cape reinga to bluff and back on the 250 virago...

Are you ready for 40km gravel road on a road bike :oi-grr:? coz you know the last 20 km to the cape are exactly this - gravel. And lets not forget that when you go there , you need to come back:wacko:. If you are alregic to gravel then better go somewhere else...:scratch:

my 2c

RC1
10th January 2008, 22:20
Are you ready for 40km gravel road on a road bike :oi-grr:? coz you know the last 20 km to the cape are exactly this - gravel. And lets not forget that when you go there , you need to come back:wacko:. If you are alregic to gravel then better go somewhere else...:scratch:

my 2c

arent they sealing that now ?? i thought it was underway??

Grub
10th January 2008, 22:35

Goddammit woman, you beat me to it. I was just reading the thread and when I got to the end was going to tell the same story about Wellington!

Grub
10th January 2008, 22:45
i wear a "dickie" [canadian term] which is essentially just a skivvy with the neck and part of the chest and back cut out. when its wet, i simply pull it up to my eyes, ... {snip} ... and means you dont have to breath in cold air..

Ummm ... wouldn't it be easier to buy a fullface helmet? :innocent:

pritch
11th January 2008, 10:12
It's a nice idea you have there Mark but most people break the country up into manageable bits and do the whole thing over a series of holidays. That way you only have to come up with a couple of grand (or less) at a time for the big ones, and weekends away can be done for much less.

There are things anyone needs to know about touring, there will be books in the library (free), touring stories in magazines, and on KB. It's less painful learning by the mistakes of others. Some things though you will probably have to discover the hard way.

While in the early phases of developing your touring expertise you may have some "adventures". Better to have these on a short holiday than have something unforseen wreck a major undertaking.

You have time to come up with good plans and things like this are good to ponder on winter nights. If you don't have it, see if you can afford a copy of the Motorcycle Atlas while it is still in print. If that isn't even a remote possibility PM me and I'll see if I can find someone who has a spare...

You could use a sports bike but it would require compromises on your part. You would be better off in a number of ways if you had a bike, and accessories, designed for touring. Or at least sport touring.

You have already discovered that sports tyres don't last long, a reasonably comprehensive tour of the South Island will pretty much cut out a rear tyre. Just another thing that needs to be budgeted...

The better prepared you are the more enjoyable a trip should be. If in the event you are underprepared it shopuldn't be because you didn't have time...

MTW
11th January 2008, 11:01
Hey all.

i want to do it on a sportsbike... ie zx6r or similar maybe zx10r. worst comes to worst, the model bike thats always been there for me would be my trusty steed , the mighty zxr250, but in reality i think it would be too hard on a 250.

I did heaps of riding around the North Island on a RZ250 and GSXR250 in the early 90's, when I was younger and the thought of hours in the saddle on a 250 sportbike excited me. :laugh:

Go for it on the 250 if that's what you want to do. I certainly look back on my rides with the 250's with just a pack rack & tank bag and the photo's and have great memories of some REALLY good times.

Rosso
25th August 2008, 22:49
Hi, just upgraded to a Suzuki S50 800 Boulevard from a VL250 which was a great bike to come back to the real world on, but want to see some more of this great country of ours now I'm a pensioner who intends to " grow old disgracefully"
Looking forward to doing Coromandel soon as the weather improves, Have heard thers a good circuit starting at Thames.
Can anyone enlighten me on places to stop over not tooo expensive
Cheers
Rosso

Rosso
25th August 2008, 22:51
:Hi, just upgraded to a Suzuki S50 800 Boulevard from a VL250 which was a great bike to come back to the real world on, but want to see some more of this great country of ours now I'm a pensioner who intends to " grow old disgracefully"
Looking forward to doing Coromandel soon as the weather improves, Have heard thers a good circuit starting at Thames.
Can anyone enlighten me on places to stop over not tooo expensive
Cheers
Rosso

pritch
26th August 2008, 10:10
:Can anyone enlighten me on places to stop over not tooo expensive
Cheers
Rosso

Ummm I had to look up Whangaparaoa on a map to find where you are.

If you used the Kawakawa Bay, Kaiaua route to Thames and on it'd make a really nice ride. I don't know how many kilometres that is but it looks like a day ride - even if you did have to cheat and ride home up the motorway...

Leave early, and don't wait until the holidays because the road fills up with caravans and fizz boats.

And do it before Maurice Williamson builds his toll bridge at Kopu(?).

Swoop
26th August 2008, 15:58
Allow a day to ride the loop.
A long day...:cool:

And do it before Maurice Williamson builds his toll bridge at Kopu(?).
A very good idea. Get cagers to fund the new bridge so that bikes can do the loop exactly the same as they do now.