PDA

View Full Version : Christmas food?

Chickadee
19th December 2007, 21:39
So what do you guys do for the Xmas fare on the table? I'm looking for inspiration as roast food on a hot days getting a bit tired, we're not in the northern hemisphere where it seems terribly civilised, and here more like torture - sweating over a roast dinner in your house that's too hot because you've been roasting meat in the oven. BBQ's seem to be more in vogue these days.

I'm thinking some nice steaks, new potatoes, salad or asparagas for the main and chocolate dipped strawberries and cheese board to finish::drool:

Look forward to hearing your preferences and things you'd like if you had control of the menu!

Hitcher
19th December 2007, 21:41
Christmas food? Mum's place is always good.

The Pastor
19th December 2007, 21:41
bbq? bbq is EZ.

Steak, and cold salads. Perfect.

Bullitt
19th December 2007, 21:42
Christmas means roasts. Since I had to start cooking for myself I stopped having roasts very often so I enjoy going home to have my family cook stuff I normally dont have.

Roast Lamb Leg and a chicken. Then jelly, pavlova, strawberries etc for desert.

kanny
19th December 2007, 21:43
Sounds good to me.What time is it at your place :lol:Have a good one

hXc
19th December 2007, 21:50
Well we're doing chicken breasts, stuffed with cranberry and brie, wrapped in bacon and roasted. With mini roast veges and an assortment of herbs. And coleslaw and green salad.

For dessert, pavlova and ice cream.

Or something similar.

Chickadee
19th December 2007, 21:53
Well we're doing chicken breasts, stuffed with cranberry and brie, wrapped in bacon and roasted. With mini roast veges and an assortment of herbs. And coleslaw and green salad.

Or something similar.

Salivating stuff, mmmm shame we're in the wrong Island to come for your Xmas fare!

hXc
19th December 2007, 21:56
It was going to be roast venison loin, but we can't seem to get ahold of any. That would have been extra good too.

MyGSXF
19th December 2007, 21:58
I'm spending the day helping out at our local comunity dinner.. the xtra bonus of this however is that we volunteers get fed also.... :msn-wink: & by crikey.. it's the full monty of a feed too!!!!!!!!! REAL ham off the bone :drool::drool: turkey, chicken, minted peas, oodles of different salads, veges, baby carrots, etcetc..

& THEN.. there's the desserts... :gob: pavlovas, triffles, fruit salads, jellies, creamy meringue things, instant puddings, strawberries, cakes, ice cream, etcetc.. :shit:

It's an awesome day to be a part of.. PLUS ya get to come home feeling like a stuffed pig & don't need to eat for the rest of the week.. :shutup:

AND AND AND... the best bit.. is.. I don't have to COOK ANY OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wari:

Jen :rockon:

Hitcher
19th December 2007, 22:03
we can't seem to get ahold of any.

Gahhh! Thud.

Chickadee
19th December 2007, 22:05
It was going to be roast venison loin, but we can't seem to get ahold of any. That would have been extra good too.

Seen venison in the supermarkets down here (lots of deer farming I guess), have you tried all the supermarkets/butchers? New Worlds often a good place to get different meats like duck/venision

hXc
19th December 2007, 22:16
Only place I could buy it from here was about $40 a kilo.
Tried to get a friend to get us some but he didn't have any luck hunting during the weekend unfortunately.

McJim
19th December 2007, 22:29
Where can I get Swan?

Ocean1
19th December 2007, 22:35
Where can I get Swan?

Don't think you can. At least they used to be protected.
I had an uncle who was a game warden out Kaiapoi way and he occasionally bought one home, but only when they had to cull them.

May have changed, the local butcher's likely to know.

Ever had swan's egg omlets?

Indiana_Jones
19th December 2007, 22:38
me and the family are having lamb on the spit :)

-Indy

Ixion
19th December 2007, 22:40
There can be no shortcuts to a proper Christmas Dinner. The hemisphere is irrelevant.

I shall cook it,I do every year. I am the good cook int he family. A proper working man's christmas dinner. Roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, roast onions, green beans, glazed carrots, gravy, mint sauce (proper mint sauce, not that muck out of a bottle).Christmas pudding by my great-great-grandmother's receipt, with clotted cream and brandy butter (quarter of a bottle of brandy in the pudding, too).

A decent sherry to begin, then I have been fortunate enough to score a bottle of Stonyridge red to accompany the lamb. A botrytis Reisling will be rich enough to cope with the pudding. Champagne with the after dinner cherries and strawberries , and a good port with cheese to finish. That will do for me, I'm a traditionalist, the good old simple colonial christmas dinner is all I want.

rainman
19th December 2007, 23:13
Ham and lotsa salads. And lots of desserts - definitely a sherry trifle. And booze, although less of this as I get older, I find. Perhaps a good single malt for sampling as the mood takes me.

Although lunch at Ixion's place sounds like a good second best! :)

kiwifruit
19th December 2007, 23:18
There can be no shortcuts to a proper Christmas Dinner. The hemisphere is irrelevant.

I shall cook it,I do every year. I am the good cook int he family. A proper working man's christmas dinner. Roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, roast onions, green beans, glazed carrots, gravy, mint sauce (proper mint sauce, not that muck out of a bottle).Christmas pudding by my great-great-grandmother's receipt, with clotted cream and brandy butter (quarter of a bottle of brandy in the pudding, too).

A decent sherry to begin, then I have been fortunate enough to score a bottle of Stonyridge red to accompany the lamb. A botrytis Reisling will be rich enough to cope with the pudding. Champagne with the after dinner cherries and strawberries , and a good port with cheese to finish. That will do for me, I'm a traditionalist, the good old simple colonial christmas dinner is all I want.

^ animal steel

myself;
we'll see how it goes, might get a pie in

MisterD
20th December 2007, 05:10
Main meal isn't my department, breakfast is smoked salmon and scrambled egss with champagne. FTW, oh yes.

Trudes
20th December 2007, 05:54
Lambs fry, bacon, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast.
Ham, BBQ meat from Island Bay butchery, salads, and bacon and egg pie for lunch.
Pavlova, trifle and choc dipped strawberries for dessert.
Left overs for a week.
Yummmm

Usarka
20th December 2007, 05:58
Ham, bean salad, potato salad, and prawns and scallops on the BBQ. And lashings and lashings of savignon blanc. hic.

Maha
20th December 2007, 06:20
Scollops/Crayfish/King Prawns...and Pavalova with Strawberry's....it is Xmas after all...:yes:

Joni
20th December 2007, 07:41
Scollops/Crayfish/King Prawns...Food fit for Gods..... yum!!!!:first:

Well christmas day we will be having what ever the Ferry has on offer I suppose.... and then dinner somewhere in Wanganui! :sunny:

However we will be celebrating Christmas the day before.... having a nice BBQ, good old steak and chops for Kickaha.... Maha has inspired me to do some seafood for me! Then a quick good night, before Divvo, Kick and myself head north @ 5am Christmas morning :yawn:

Have a super day everyone! :woohoo:

Her_C4
20th December 2007, 08:01
Hmm, we will be up early and off to Palmy to see my youngest and have a quick cup of coffee, then straight onto Wanganui and ensure that everything is 'A OK' for racing the following day.

With the focus being on getting race bikes (and rider:sunny: ) organised, Christmas dinner / food has taken a back seat for the last couple of years.

There was one sad sad tale of a chinese restaurant a couple of years back in Wanganui that wasn't actually a restaurant and the food didn't taste like food :angry: and after that we cottoned on to the idea that a BBQ at the various motels might be just the ticket.

This year we have Lynda B on the case and she has us well sorted with a 'real' restaurant/cafe that have a menu and everything!!! :niceone:

Joni
20th December 2007, 08:03
This year we have Lynda B on the case and she has us well sorted with a 'real' restaurant/cafe that have a menu and everything!!! :niceone:Yay! let us know where hun! :clap:

Mom
20th December 2007, 08:07
Breakfast of pawpaw, melon, pineapple, strawberries, rasberries, any other berries I can find with a bottle of Lothlorian Fejoa Bubbly..........ahhhhhhh!

jrandom
20th December 2007, 08:17
we'll see how it goes, might get a pie in

:drinknsin

Lias
20th December 2007, 08:53
I'm a hardcore traditionalist.

Roast Turkey + all the trimmings for lunch, followed by Plum Duff
Ham + leftover roast veges for dinner. Followed by pavlova

Anyone advocating xmas bbq's , summer on the beach, or any variations of the above should be shipped to the camps with the other dissidents :Oi:

Usarka
20th December 2007, 08:59
Turkey..... :eek:

yungatart
20th December 2007, 08:59

Or something similar.

And the best thing about this menu, is that Zac is doing the cooking!!:clap::banana::banana:
Well you can't be first in Year 12 Hospitality class and not do it, eh?:first:
But I will make the salads and the dessert.

Rosie
20th December 2007, 09:04
Anyone advocating xmas bbq's , summer on the beach, or any variations of the above should be shipped to the camps with the other dissidents :Oi:

Yeah! All you Christmas BBQ people: Christmas isn't about enjoying yourself :nono: it's about trying to live up to other people's expectations <_<

Her_C4
20th December 2007, 09:07
I'm a hardcore traditionalist.

Roast Turkey + all the trimmings for lunch, followed by Plum Duff
Ham + leftover roast veges for dinner. Followed by pavlova

Some of us would LOVE nothing better than to to be able to sit down with family and have a traditional christmas dinner. We are not all exactly advocating the alternatives - rather, we are making the best out of what we have in regards to time, opportunity, options, location and priority,(bikes, bikes bikes:laugh:)

Her_C4
20th December 2007, 09:09
Yay! let us know where hun! :clap:

I can do one better than that - I just asked Lynda for the menu and she has sent it through to me via pdf.

Great to have you two join us if you are of a mind to. :sunny:

PM me your email addy and I will forward the menu.:done:

Stirts
20th December 2007, 10:10
Brekkie was non-existent in our world.....WE HAD PRESSIES TO OPEN FFS!

We used to do the xmas lunch then grazing into dinner kinda thing....roast chicken and veges, crayfish sammies, salads, sweetcorn, pav, xmas crackers, alcohol, and alcohol, and more alcohol!

We have done fish and chips on the beach then alcohol, and alcohol, and more alcohol! And we have done the BBQ with alcohol, and alcohol, and more alcohol!

I much prefer the latter two.....everyone can relax and you have more time to spend with family and the ones you love!

ManDownUnder
20th December 2007, 10:13
Ham Salad.

Tasty, fresh, light, easy to prepare and bog all the clean up afterwards. Fresh boiled spuds with some butter on them, blanched asparagus and that'll do me!

Boil and chop some eggs on top if you weant to go real upmarket!

Beemer
20th December 2007, 11:02
Yum, I'd happily eat any of the above meals!

For the past three years I have had everyone at our place for the day. Andy and I have a light breakfast so we can fit the rest in later! We always have a large ham on the bone, and I always cook a chicken too. Never tried turkey but may do so next year. That is all accompanied by boiled new potatoes, potato salad, green salad, pasta salad, rice salad, asparagus and tomatoes. To follow there is always a choice of desserts! There MUST be a pavlova (homemade of course), a steamed Christmas pudding (ditto) and trifle, plus the obligatory bowl of fresh fruit salad and lashings of whipped cream. Bubbly all day, plus whatever wine anyone else brings.

In case anyone is still hungry after that lot, there is always homemade Christmas cake and fruit mince pies, and usually chocolate truffles too. For dinner the year before last, everyone stayed on and I made a couple of loaves of bread and we had ham or chicken sandwiches - divine!

My mum died last month and we hadn't made any plans so luckily we have been invited to Andy's brother's place for the day. I've made the steamed pudding and will also make a cake and pavlovas to take as well. It will be nice not to be the one running around like a blue arsed fly for a change!

99TLS
20th December 2007, 12:50
champaigne, french toast, bacon, eggs, fried bananas, maple syrup, ( brekkie) roast pork, veges, pav icecream,(mid arvo) left overs whenever in the evening :drool:

imdying
20th December 2007, 13:05
For me it'll be shrimp cocktails and these (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=63391) on the BBQ.

Chickadee
20th December 2007, 22:48
What is it with Kransky's - blokes seem to be addicted to these salami style sausage things?

Trudes
21st December 2007, 06:00
What is it with Kransky's - blokes seem to be addicted to these salami style sausage things?

They like familiarity?

Nasty
21st December 2007, 06:45
They like familiarity?

I thought familiarity bought contempt ... hmm probably go that wrong ;)

Trudes
21st December 2007, 06:49
I thought familiarity bought contempt ... hmm probably go that wrong ;)

I'm sure there are some out there with contempt for their familiarity with small sausages.

imdying
21st December 2007, 07:38
What is it with KranskysThey taste like little samples of heaven :drool:

soundbeltfarm
21st December 2007, 08:29
champaigne, french toast, bacon, eggs, fried bananas, maple syrup, ( brekkie) roast pork, veges, pav icecream,(mid arvo) left overs whenever in the evening :drool:

hey mate dont know if you already do it but put a dollop of whipped cream on top of your bananas and wrap them up in the bacon and maple on top.
delish

99TLS
21st December 2007, 08:35
hey mate dont know if you already do it but put a dollop of whipped cream on top of your bananas and wrap them up in the bacon and maple on top.
delish
not tried this but will :cool:

soundbeltfarm
21st December 2007, 08:35
i doing the usual hangi but this is the first time i've needed a fire permit to do one.
got a pig i recently killed so got the mean pork roast. nice young sow, but before you all crucify me for killing a sow i only ever do at christmas , just boars all the rest of the year.
got given a turkey so am putting that sucker in there.
and i killed a lamb about a month ago so got a good joint roast for the pit too.
usual vege's spuds, carrots, kumara, pumpkin and i always make steam puddings and stick them in the big catering coffee tins and they go on top of the veges in the hangi. the puds are way fucking beautiful.
had 14 people coming now i think half of the bloody province is coming.
but thats what its about .

janno
21st December 2007, 08:38
i doing the usual hangi but this is the first time i've needed a fire permit to do one.
got a pig i recently killed so got the mean pork roast. nice young sow, but before you all crucify me for killing a sow i only ever do at christmas , just boars all the rest of the year.
and i killed a lamb about a month ago so got a good joint roast for the pit too.
usual vege's spuds, carrots, kumara, pumpkin and i always make steam puddings and stick them in the big catering coffee tins and they go on top of the veges in the hangi. the puds are way fucking beautiful.

Murderer! Can I come too?

Her_C4
21st December 2007, 08:52

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmy - just flick us the address will ya'?? he he he :bleh: Sounds delicious :niceone:

Ocean1
21st December 2007, 09:23
Every year I promise myself I won't be a glutton.

Never sticks.

Beemer
21st December 2007, 13:43
Every year I promise myself I won't be a glutton.

Never sticks.

Fridge pickers wear bigger knickers - or so they say! Love the cartoon!

Trudes
21st December 2007, 18:37

Dude!!! I wanna come to yours for Xmas!!:drool: Man, I miss hangi :(