PDA

View Full Version : Star Insurance: track day insurance warning

Star Insurance
20th December 2007, 08:12
If your motorcycle is insured with Star Insurance and you wish to do a Training Track Day you need to notify Star Insurance or your Insurance Broker to have your insurance policy extended for each Training Track Day.

If no notification is received you will not be covered for the Training Track Day.

Regards,

Philip Newall
General Manager
Star Insurance - 0800 96 8000

jetboy
20th December 2007, 08:16
Hey guys, this is nothing major but for those of you insured with me who have any further questions feel free to contact me (either by PM or 0800 65 62 64).

Tim

Shaun Harris
20th December 2007, 08:27
It is fantastic that star and other Insurance companies do this for there cuctomer base, follow there requests all to keep it all going and healthy:wari:

BIGBOSSMAN
20th December 2007, 12:02
I've just been on the blower to my insurer, he told me that bike insurance companies are looking hard at the whole issue of track days. There have been a plethora of bins at track days recently, and this apparently is not offset by the premium income they receive.
So we could be in for a shock in the future - insurance cover for the day may not be so easy. That is unless there is some sort of training involved during to day, a la the recent AMCC day at Puke.
Watch this space...

Sanx
20th December 2007, 16:18
Philip,

Whilst the majority of us appreciate the fact we have track day cover, informing the motorcycling community just by posting on KiwiBiker is not really sufficient. I don't check this form very often - once a month, maybe - and just happened to see your thread.

There are plenty of people that do track days but aren't on KiwiBiker and would therefore be completely in the dark about this change. I have an email from you personally - sent 28/02/2007 - assuring me that I do not have to inform you of each and every track day. If I were to make a claim, unaware of your post on here, following a track day accident there is absolutely no way you could refuse to pay it based upon your announcement on here. If it were to go to court, you'd lose. Pure and simple.

I have also been told by my broker that, effective immediately, the excess on each policy will double for all track day accidents. I notice you didn't mention it in your post. Is this correct, or was it my broker getting the wrong end of the stick and does this change apply only to policies or renewals taken out after this date. If it is correct, then you really should be writing to each and every customer to inform them of the changes. If you don't, and the customer decides to take you to court over your refusal to honour the excess stated in the policy documentation then, again, you'll lose. Pure and simple. I've just gone through my policy (from a broker) and I can't see anything that allows Star Insurance to adjust my excess mid-term or adjust it without notification.

Philip, I understand this may have been forced upon you by the underwriters, but I believe you need to think through enacting these changes a little more; or at least show leeway to those customers who make a claim unaware of the new rules.

As an aside, have Star considered introducing a payment per track day, for instance. I (obviously) don't know the figures involved, but maybe $30 per day?

Sanx
20th December 2007, 16:56
Hmmm. Just had a phone call from a friend of mine after I informed him that he had to call Star about this Sunday's KiwiTrackDays day at Puke. He duly called Star, who promptly denied him cover saying it was 'too dangerous'.

What the hell's going on, Philip?

boomer
20th December 2007, 17:03
bwahahhahaa... im wondering if im with this crowd? i got insurance through the shop when i bought the bike and ive never received any paper work.. and i cant remember who it's with!!!!

If this is the way my insurance company works, they won't be my insurance company for much longer....

Thats a shocker! Hearing about policy changes through 'other's.. !!! thats abysmal !

eg. just like i heard about the puke 'open days' LACK OF coverage. After thinking i was covered... FOOKIN SHOCKIN !!!!

Get ya act together!

boomer
20th December 2007, 17:34
What a load of old B*&^*%^&!!!

Apparently said insurance company Will cover

MotoTT, Kiwitrack days and AMCC track days at Taupo
AND they will cover

AMCC at Puke
BUT they 'consider' covering a customer of

MotoTT or Kiwtrack days at Puke... as they think its a dangerous track??

The Company's delusional! there's NO logic in that WHAT so ever!

boomer
20th December 2007, 17:38
If your motorcycle is insured with Star Insurance and you wish to do a Training Track Day you need to notify Star Insurance or your Insurance Broker to have your insurance policy extended for each Training Track Day.

If no notification is received you will not be covered for the Training Track Day.

Regards,

Philip Newall
General Manager

ps.. you don't state how 'notification' is to be recieved or given...or when its required by. If i send you an email 1 minute before i'm going on the track, your statement above tells me i'm covered!!!

your a cowboy mate! :rolleyes:

Matt_TG
20th December 2007, 17:49
The policy wording (here (http://www.starinsurance.co.nz/Policy%20Wording.pdf)) does say under Section 3 that it doesn't cover racing, speed tests etc.

You would have to therefore seek an extension to cover any of that - if however in the past you had a blanket extension that covered all track days I would say that Star would have to personally inform you of any policy changes - as they then would be altering the terms of the contract and you'd have to agree with it to continue.

A post on an internet forum is not really a personal notice...

Sanx
20th December 2007, 18:04
The policy wording (here (http://www.starinsurance.co.nz/Policy%20Wording.pdf)) does say under Section 3 that it doesn't cover racing, speed tests etc.

But a track day is not racing or speed testing. Racing, by definition, is competitive. Track days are (officially) not. The particular paragraph lists a number of things but about the only one under which the insurance company might have grounds to deny a claim is "being used for ... off road recreational activity".

You would have to therefore seek an extension to cover any of that - if however in the past you had a blanket extension that covered all track days I would say that Star would have to personally inform you of any policy changes - as they then would be altering the terms of the contract and you'd have to agree with it to continue.

I did have a blanket extension which specifically waived the requirement for me to inform them of each and every track day. I can't imagine I'm the only person that has such an email.

A post on an internet forum is not really a personal notice...

It's not a notice that would carry any legal weight at all. Not every biker is on KB, and not every KBer reads the Track Day forums.

Still, there is a choice, people. Give Dave at KiwiBike insurance a call (0800 629 253). Better premiums than with Star direct, lower excess, and none of this crap (but you do have to inform Dave of every track day too).

Matt_TG
20th December 2007, 18:48
I agree, Sanx. They've gone about things arse about face. Bit of a PR disaster really.

Steam
20th December 2007, 20:20
I think banks and insurance companies don't have to notify you personally if they change things, they just have to make the information public, or do it in the newspaper or something.

sunhuntin
20th December 2007, 20:30
i was with star for two years. am looking at changing to kiwibike [gotta go and see em in np one day] since the quote from kiwibike was $200 LESS per year than what star was charging [same bike, same value]

McJim
20th December 2007, 20:34
i was with star for two years. am looking at changing to kiwibike [gotta go and see em in np one day] since the quote from kiwibike was $200 LESS per year than what star was charging [same bike, same value]

Yeah but Kiwibike are a broker - your insurance may still be with Star. Equally it may not be. I insured through Kiwibike - just checked we are with Swann.

I'm a long way from Pukekohe now and I only ever rode OP bikes there. Hope you fellas get it all sorted out.

sunhuntin
20th December 2007, 20:38
if its cheaper...

Sanx
20th December 2007, 21:34
I think banks and insurance companies don't have to notify you personally if they change things, they just have to make the information public, or do it in the newspaper or something.

Depends on the relationship you have with the company. In the case of insurance companies, your policy is a contract between you and the insurance company (section VII of Star's policy document states it is a contract); you agree to pay them money, and they agree to pay out if you bin it. Under normal contract law, the terms and conditions of the contract cannot be changed unless both parties agree - unless there's something in the contract that allows for such changes to be made unilaterally. And Star's case, there isn't anything.

Some insurance companies - State, for instance - reserve the right to change the excess at any time, provided they give you 14 days notice in writing at your last known address. Again, Star's policy does not give them that right, and any attempt by them to change the policy conditions, including what it covers and what excess is payable, cannot be enforced.

Again, according to Star's policy wording, if you (the customer) wishes to cancel the policy for whatever reason, then Star will refund to you 80% of any unexpired premium on a pro-rata basis. Should you wish to cancel a Star policy because of these changes, then this clause will not apply. Star have unilaterally changed the terms and conditions of the policy; essentially, they have broken the contract. As they have broken the contract, they are legally required to refund you 100% of any unexpired premium.

Star might start claiming that they're not required to provide cover for track days under their policy but instead it's just something they've allowed in the past. Well, yes and no. The policy document does not specifically state that track days are covered; use of the bike on a race track but in a non-competitive environment is a bit of a grey area. However, there is ample precedent that they have provided track cover in the past and this was a key selling point of their policies. Mine, for instance, was arranged over the phone. I essentially asked for two bits of information: how much, and did the policy include track cover. When I was told that it did, for organised motorcycle track days, that became part of my contract with Star. To revoke that, unilaterally, is a breach of contract.

As usual, please note I am not a lawyer and don't have the faintest clue about anything.You hereby indemnify me against any losses you incur as a result of acting on the information provided. Caveat emptor. May contain traces of nuts.

AllanB
20th December 2007, 21:39
No idea if my Vero policy covers track days as I presumed it would not, neither did I expect ANY insurance company to cover a track day.

So good on Star.

Still cannot believe any insurance company would cover a track day.

boomer
20th December 2007, 21:45
No idea if my Vero policy covers track days as I presumed it would not, neither did I expect ANY insurance company to cover a track day.

So good on Star.

Still cannot believe any insurance company would cover a track day.

thats because you live in the wop wops and haven't yet realised that due to popular demand and peoples needs.. some smart cookies saw a business opportunity. You'll find in most non 3rd world countries that bike riders can obtain such cover.. readily. Unfortunately its not free.. but it does exist.

However, as we are where we are.. the 'she'll be right' attitude and fix it as we see it doesn't quite cut the mustard for those who are a little more worldly wise or for that matter.. not just happy to accept it because thats what someones says !

Still.. i hear ChCh is nice this time of year :niceone:

Mort
20th December 2007, 23:39
I've always assumed I wasn't insured.... part of the thrill innit...

Shaun
21st December 2007, 06:52
DAVE @ Kiwibiker Insurance 0800629253 Call the man, he is great:first:

Star Insurance
21st December 2007, 08:14
I would like to clarify why we have posted about this on the Kiwi Biker Forum. We have had some problems with people doing open days at Tracks with cars, drift cars and others were your cover is not extended to. These days also have no extra saftey barriers installed for your protection. We don't want to be telling you that the your claim is declined because of being at one of these open days.

We have major concerns about Pukekohe but that is a story for another thread. For Pukekohe track days we want the saftey barriers put up to add to your saftey.

Any changes to your policy will take effect at the renewal of your existing policy or from the Start of any new Insurance cover and these are showen on your policy schedule .

Hope everyone enjoys the Roads over the holidays and stays safe.

Please call us on 0800 96 8000 if you have any questions.

Cr1MiNaL
22nd December 2007, 00:26
I was so fully covered for an open day at Puke with cars n everything. All lies... Ive been havin major issues wid my direct debits too for the past 2-3 mths... I reckon theyre gettin real slack.

Templar
22nd December 2007, 05:46

Yeah he is a good bloke. I am insured through him and recommend him.

Matt_TG
23rd December 2007, 19:02
Just a quick Q...

How would having barriers make a difference to the risk of damage to a bike, in the context of changing whether Star Insurance covers this damage?

Unit
23rd December 2007, 19:21
Good Question Matt TG. We are with Star (through Dave Kiwibike) specifically for track day cover, amoungst what we thought were other awesome advantages (lowest excess, full repacement 1st 12 months new bike, unspecified riders slightly higher excess but still great, and best priced premiums on the market). I was originally with Star direct, cancelled and reinsured through Dave on a much better deal, which I was scratching my head over.
Dave of Kiwibike has been awesome, and did state to me on the phone covered for trackdays. As a precaution Chris and I discussed advising of each track day beforehand, just in case and to double check/confirm cover so we can relax when we put over $50k of bikes on the track (thats both bikes).
I look forward to Star continuing to work with a positive attitude towards bikers insurance needs. I believe AA wont cover bikes at all!

owner
23rd December 2007, 19:32
No need for trackday insurance today, your man did well even if he was flying naked

McJim
23rd December 2007, 20:11
I believe AA wont cover bikes at all!

Yeah, that was a funny conversation.
"Hi I'd like to insure a 250cc motorcycle please. I am 35 years of age"
"What sort of bike licence do you have?"
"A learner License"
"I'm sorry sir we cannot insure you unless you've held a full motorcycle licence for 2 years."
"Okay, I'd like to cancel some insurance policies please. I'd like to cancel buildings insurance for a $600,000 house amd I'd like to cancel the home contents insurance policy and I'd like to cancel a policy for an executive class car and I'd finally like to cancel my performance car insurance policy"
"If you hold on I'll get my supervisor."
"Don't bother please just cancel the policies there's a good lass."
Now I'm with Tower and use Dave at Kiwibike for the bikes.

Unit
23rd December 2007, 21:31
Yep about the same conversation I had with them when I first got a bike again nearly three years ago, but I was on a full licence and had been for 20 years! Oh, Italian bike, sorry wouldnt do. So I moved everything to State, who were happy to insure me but $1800 excess on a $9,000 bike. At the time it was the best I thought I could get. But I now have my bike insured for $24,000 (they cover all the aftermarket stuff we have receipts for) and $500 excess, so bling to Star on that front.

Cr1MiNaL
24th December 2007, 06:27
Ive had many good experiences with Star too... bloody good and prompt with the payout. I had my new bike in 15 days of the writeoff & I cant thank them enough for it.

huck farley
24th December 2007, 08:02
Ive had many good experiences with Star too... bloody good and prompt with the payout. I had my new bike in 15 days of the writeoff & I cant thank them enough for it.

Likewise I had a claim back in 2002, Not a problem at all. I just had to concentrate on recovering from my surgery, and get well... I to had a brand new bike delivered to my dealers shop about a week after my accident.

I am one of the old school of riders on this forum and firmly believe that an insurance company is only as good as it's claims department.
There may be cheaper insurance policies around. But when you need help, are you absolutely sure they are going to be there for you? I know from experience STAR will.

So I'm afraid for me it's a case of best stay with the devil you know blah, blah, blah.

Phil Newell from Star insurance is a very caring bloke, and very approachable, and also very understanding. If you have a genuine claim. You can bet your bottom dollar Phil Newell will bend over backwards for you, to make sure your claim is being handled in a true and professional manner. I have been with STAR going on seven years now. Also I intend to stay with them for another seven +++++++
Merry Christmas to all on KB. & Star Insurance
K. Phillips
Wanganui.

Unit
24th December 2007, 08:36
Awesome to hear positive stories. Im into a long term relationship with insurance, and have switched to Star clearly with that intention. Its nice to know my insurance is in good hands, and with people who understand bikes, and bikers. :yes:

Tony.OK
24th December 2007, 10:44
As usual, please note I am not a lawyer and don't have the faintest clue about anything.You hereby indemnify me against any losses you incur as a result of acting on the information provided. Caveat emptor. May contain traces of nuts.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::clap:

sunhuntin
24th December 2007, 10:59
I would like to clarify why we have posted about this on the Kiwi Biker Forum. We have had some problems with people doing open days at Tracks with cars, drift cars and others were your cover is not extended to. These days also have no extra saftey barriers installed for your protection. We don't want to be telling you that the your claim is declined because of being at one of these open days.

We have major concerns about Pukekohe but that is a story for another thread. For Pukekohe track days we want the saftey barriers put up to add to your saftey.

Any changes to your policy will take effect at the renewal of your existing policy or from the Start of any new Insurance cover and these are showen on your policy schedule .

how exactly do drift cars on a track affect motorcyclists? and why are drift cars a reason for you to decline insurance for motorcyclists?

if your problem is with car drivers, i suggest you post on their forum instead.

Cr1MiNaL
24th December 2007, 16:59
how exactly do drift cars on a track affect motorcyclists? and why are drift cars a reason for you to decline insurance for motorcyclists?

if your problem is with car drivers, i suggest you post on their forum instead.

LOL !!!! I think he means that cars r nasty pieces of machinery that make a lot of noise whilst going nowhere and dribble significant amounts of oil along the way ! :pinch:

Sanx
24th December 2007, 17:17
LOL !!!! I think he means that cars r nasty pieces of machinery that make a lot of noise whilst going nowhere and dribble significant amounts of oil along the way ! :pinch:

Nasty pieces of machinery or not, the reason drift cars in particular are mentioned is that they throw significants amount of shit all over the track; shredded rubber, dirt and grass, mainly. Should the next session be for bikes, then you can imagine how the debris on the tarmac is going to affect grip levels.

McJim
24th December 2007, 17:34
Nasty pieces of machinery or not, the reason drift cars in particular are mentioned is that they throw significants amount of shit all over the track; shredded rubber, dirt and grass, mainly. Should the next session be for bikes, then you can imagine how the debris on the tarmac is going to affect grip levels.

Yep, I've had to pucker up my arse a bit coming round Jennian at pace only to remember that the surface will be "Unprdedictable" for the next 3 corners.

boomer
24th December 2007, 17:39
I've ceased doing business with them.

Any company who tries to change there contractual agreement and obligation part way through, with no communication isn't worth doing business with. Given this experience, how can you ever be 100% confident you're insured the way you think/expect?

Here's my experience; for what its worth.
I buy a brand new bike through Coleman's and i think i'll get insurance cover while I'm there, The salesman tells me this crowd is good, they'll cover me for this.. that.. and track days. Ok i say but my policy is this much ( currently on the 600 ) can they match it? So the salesman comes back with a yep.. good to go.
4 months later i hear, on the internet.. that the cover i initially thought i had wasn't quite what i expected. Oh no. So i phone and ask the question. yup thats right track days are covered but not open days. Ok.. so i have a discussion but i'm not going to stop the starvation in Africa so we move on.
It's at this stage i ask for a copy of my policy as I've never received anything. Yep no worries I'm told and you can see teh policy on line too.. just visit the web page.
So here we are a couple of months later and i see by chance on the Internet some Insurance company looking to make changes to there policy.. oh boy !!!
I ask if I'm covered and told yes; i ask AGAIN for another copy of my policy, as to this stage i've still not recieved one. It turns up today.... and on the typed schedule .. it says and i partially quote "Insurance for track days is not automatically covered, you must gain prior approval from star"
This means THEY can decide on a whim if your covered or not. So why pay the premium when you don't know what exactly your covered for?

I'll admit hes a good sort, i siad i want out of the contract and i want all my money back as i don't believe they've met there side of the arrangement. He said ok so i get my 12 months payment back. Thankyou!

Just be aware of what you think you're getting .. is it really what you think you have?!

It's certainly not the way i do business.

skidMark
24th December 2007, 17:47
Phil Newell from Star insurance is a very caring bloke, and very approachable, and also very understanding. If you have a genuine claim. You can bet your bottom dollar Phil Newell will bend over backwards for you, to make sure your claim is being handled in a true and professional manner. I have been with STAR going on seven years now. Also I intend to stay with them for another seven +++++++
Merry Christmas to all on KB. & Star Insurance
K. Phillips
Wanganui.

will he bend over forwards for honda riders?:whistle:

motocoorg
29th January 2008, 17:27

+1 for Dave, he is very helpful

Swoop
4th March 2008, 20:18
I believe AA wont cover bikes at all!
Not true. I have had three bikes insured with them over the years. At reasonable prices as well, may I add?

jrandom
4th March 2008, 20:31
Another plug for Dave at Kiwibike, here. He's a thoroughly good cunt.

Anyway, it's a shame some folk have experienced confusion regarding the cover that the likes of Star and Swann offer, but apart from any perceived communication issues, the insurance policies in question seem eminently reasonable to me.

I put up a thread a while back lamenting the guys who've treated the fact that they can get insurance cover for trackdays as a licence to use their roadbikes as though they were sponsored race machines and ride them right up to and over the bike's handling (and the rider's skill) limits.

That RSV-R that was bounced off the back of another bike and biffed down the track at the recent MotoTT day constitutes an excellent example. That wasn't 'rider training'; it was just some dude getting a dose of the red mist. I certainly wouldn't offer a policy covering such shenanigans if I were an insurance company.

So let's enjoy the rest of 2008, with our lovely open-ended trackday insurance cover, and get as much time in as we can before our only option becomes to either:

A. pucker up and back ourselves at our own risk not to fuck up our precious shiny financed-to-the-hilt road bikes, or

B. invest in grubby old racebikes that we can trailer to tracks and bin at will.

I'll probably go with option B in 2009.

Kendog
4th March 2008, 20:54
So let's enjoy the rest of 2008, with our lovely open-ended trackday insurance cover, and get as much time in as we can before our only option becomes to either:

A. pucker up and back ourselves at our own risk not to fuck up our precious shiny financed-to-the-hilt road bikes, or

B. invest in grubby old racebikes that we can trailer to tracks and bin at will.

I'll probably go with option B in 2009.

That does seem like a likely outcome for 09.
I'm with you on option B.

discotex
7th March 2008, 19:11
That does seem like a likely outcome for 09.
I'm with you on option B.

My understanding (with Star via Kiwibike at least) is that next year they will require all trackdays to be called in ahead of time and they will raise the excess to 15% of the policy value.

I think that's pretty fair to be honest. Even better would be an option to reduce that excess to 10% or less for an additional amount on the premium.

Beemer
15th January 2009, 22:00

Pretty poor as far as I'm concerned and if you are personally representing Star Insurance, may I suggest you get your posts proofread for spelling errors first - it's 'safety' and 'shown'. Makes me wonder how many other errors may be found in your policy documents.

How many of us do take part in track days with cars as well? Most of us value our lives (and our bikes) too much for that and there are plenty of well organised motorcycle-only track days to choose from.

discotex
16th January 2009, 08:52
Most of us value our lives (and our bikes) too much for that and there are plenty of well organised motorcycle-only track days to choose from.

I value myself and my bike and I still dropped it at Taupo causing a few thou of cosmetic damage.

When you say plenty which are you referring to? Last I looked there's only two companies doing organised track days at Puke and one of those was not in operation when they posted that.

I think Star have a fair point. If you want to be covered it should be because overall you learn to control your bike in a relatively safe, controlled environment. That's not Puke from what I hear.

Their concern is that the trackdays being run at Puke are not a controlled environment that could be called "training" - e.g. insufficient marshals, no checking of bikes, passing on the inside, people openly timing laps, etc.

I have no problems having Star cover me for MotoTT days at Taupo if I email Dave at Kiwibike beforehand. Also believe Honda days are ok too. I think the AMCC rider training days at Puke are covered too.

Go talk to AMI or State about trackday cover. They'll laugh you off the phone. We're lucky Star and Swann haven't pulled the plug after the number of new bikes they've been giving out in the last year or two due to trackdays.

Beemer
16th January 2009, 22:14
...When you say plenty which are you referring to? Last I looked there's only two companies doing organised track days at Puke and one of those was not in operation when they posted that.

I was talking about well-run track days when I said well organised. As in the ones run by our club (CDMTCI) and those run by the Vic Club at Manfeild - and many others run by similar clubs at other tracks. I was not referring to Pukekohe as I have no personal experience of any track days run there.

discotex
17th January 2009, 20:26
I was talking about well-run track days when I said well organised. As in the ones run by our club (CDMTCI) and those run by the Vic Club at Manfeild - and many others run by similar clubs at other tracks. I was not referring to Pukekohe as I have no personal experience of any track days run there.

In that case I'm sure Star will cover them as long as they're we'll run like the AMCC days.

discotex
11th March 2009, 20:16
I was speaking with Dave at Kiwibike today and there's been some changes for the better around the cover they broker from Star.

Apparently Star will now cover most of the trackdays at Taupo and Puke that are run by the main players. I was checking the Honda day (which was fine) but he did say Kiwi and Redline are now also on the list with MotoTT.

Your excess on the track is 15% of the insured value or pay a $50 for a fixed $1000 excess (this might only be via Kiwibike not sure).

As always you must get written confirmation of cover and any terms before each trackday. For those who insure with Kiwibike it's just a matter of emailing Dave (daveh@kiwibike.co.nz) and he'll email you back a confirmation along with the current rules etc.

Good news if you ask me. As usual Star (and especially Dave and Donna at Kiwibike) are listening to their customers and trying to make it work for everyone :sunny:

merlin
21st April 2010, 16:20
I am insured with Swann.

Went through Dave at kiwibike.

Last track day I went to, all I had to do was notify Dave as to who the organiser was and at what track.

It was all gravy from there on in.

I can recommend Swann first hand

Chur

Toaster
11th January 2011, 08:27

Regards,

Philip Newall
General Manager

Thanks, this post is an excellent reminder.

I have just sent an email today via my broker Kiwibike Insurance underwritten by your company. AMCC advanced rider training day on the 16th Jan.

Cam.

Pro Rider
19th January 2011, 20:21
When you attend a Pro Rider training day.

John Baker Insurance will also rebate you $50 as a one off for attending the same.

Its great to see the brokers recognising the value in upskilling our road riding techniques and reducing our risk on the roads, which hopefully will lead to reduced accidents and claims.

For more information about the training days click here (http://www.prorider.co.nz/motorcycle-training-courses.php?course=4)

Mort
11th October 2013, 10:35
I was speaking with Dave from Kiwibike today.

Apparently you bike must have a valid WOF and Rego to be covered by their insurance on trackdays. If either is allowed to lapse, the bike is not covered. This was not quite clear on their communications (they made no mention of Rego) so I have asked them to make sure that customers are aware.

willytheekid
11th October 2013, 11:18

Apparently you bike must have a valid WOF and Rego to be covered by their insurance on trackdays. If either is allowed to lapse, the bike is not covered. This was not clear on their communications (they made no mention of Rego) so I have asked them to make sure that customers are aware.

Whaaaaat????...a lapsed REGO should not effect insurance cover at all!! (you only to to prove the bike is in a warrantable condition!)

Im with kiwibike for insurance :wacko:, between the above, and the fact that Im paying a shit load for cover for my old girl & gear, and its a "non-agreed replacement value" (In other words, they will screw me if anything happens..."its old!..not worth piss all "at market value", sorry! :shifty:...but thanks for all the money!"

Im gonna ring Dave today, cancel my policey, and get some decent fucking cover that isn't quite so dodgy!

rapid van cleef
11th October 2013, 11:36
Im with Star insurance and was advised by them that the rego is a '3rd party' issue and has no bearing on an insurance claim at all, as long as the bike has a wof and is roadworthy. Check it out for yourself though.

willytheekid
11th October 2013, 11:50

Apparently you bike must have a valid WOF and Rego to be covered by their insurance on trackdays. If either is allowed to lapse, the bike is not covered. This was not clear on their communications (they made no mention of Rego) so I have asked them to make sure that customers are aware.

Whaaaaat????...a lapsed REGO should not effect insurance cover at all!! (you only to to prove the bike is in a warrantable condition!)

Im with kiwibike for insurance :wacko:, between the above, and the fact that Im paying a shit load for cover for my old girl & gear, and its a "non-agreed replacement value" (In other words, they will screw me if anything happens..."its old!..not worth piss all "at market value", sorry! :shifty:...but thanks for all the money!"

Im gonna ring Dave today, cancel my policey, and get some decent fucking cover that isn't quite so dodgy!

RIGHT!, just got off the phone to Dave as I strongly felt that statement of Morts, if true, was flat out BS!

and the FACTS are...

If you have a !!ROADBIKE!! insured with kiwibike they WILL cover you for track days, even if your rego has lapsed!..thats it, problem solved by a phone call.
Dave also had a look at my poilcey and assured me that my cover is good for the amount stated, as Im not being a tosser and asking for rediculas amounts of money for my old girl & gear.

I would like to state that Dave @ Kiwibike was just amazing to deal with, straight up with the facts and details, and was naturally a tad pissed that the facts had been scewed and posted on here!...hence I assured him that I would post this clarification of there cover for everyone.

If you have ANY concerns with Kiwibike and there cover...RING THEM!!

Im naturally a tad...wary, of insurance compays due to state taking me to the cleaners many years ago, so I called Dave to advise that if the above was actually true!, and my cover would end up in an argument over payout value...goodbuy!...right there an then!...he has taken the time to assure me of both of my concerns, and I am truly impressed by his honest and informative responces....absolute top marks to Dave and Kiwibike:first:

...Im sticking with this insurance company

Thanks Dave, enjoy phillip Island mate ;)

Mort
11th October 2013, 12:22
I do have a roadbike. My rego and wof lapsed and I heard (from Dave today) this meant the bike did not meet the track day cover criteria. That is all. Perhaps your terms are different.

Since this thread (started by Star) was relevant to trackday cover I thought others should know (as it was not mentioned above) just in case they (like me) find they might not be covered in the event of an incident.

i spoke to Dave too and agree with your words... he is doing a fine job. But I think your words towards me are offensive and inflammatory and wrong. My bike is roadbike. Period.

willytheekid
11th October 2013, 13:14
1.I do have a roadbike. My rego and wof lapsed and I heard (from Dave today) this meant the bike did not meet the track day cover criteria. That is all. Perhaps your terms are different.

2.i spoke to Dave too and agree with your words... he is doing a fine job. But I think your words towards me are offensive and inflammatory and wrong. My bike is roadbike. Period.

:o

1.Yes, sorry, maybe our terms are differrent (Didn't think of THAT did I...oops:pinch:)

2. I never mean to purposely offend people on here Mort, I have re-edited my hasty post, and PM'd you an appology

Sorry fellow KBer :D...hugs?

http://catholicexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/pretend-hugs.jpg

...its been a rough week!...and besides....Im am prone to being a dick sometimes, just ask anyone on here (Shut up drew! peterpan syndrome IS a real thing)

Mort
11th October 2013, 13:15
All good Willy... no worries.

haydes55
11th October 2013, 13:34
I do have a roadbike. My rego and wof lapsed and I heard (from Dave today) this meant the bike did not meet the track day cover criteria. That is all. Perhaps your terms are different.

Soooo your bike hasn't got a WOF.... your rego is irrelevant. Get a WOF and you will meet track day insurance requirements.